The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

[quote name='nekromantix']Bought Civilization 5 and came to the unfortunate realization I need to upgrade soon. :cry:

Probably going to go with the $900/$1000 recommended builds once I save enough money.

Least I don't really need a mouse, keyboard, monitor or hard drive this time around. There a good reason aside from aesthetics to upgrade my case? Using the Antec Sonata III right now. Know that power supply isn't going to cut it with a mid to higher end graphics card, but not sure if there's been any crazy innovations in computer cases in the past three years to justify getting a new case as well.

Really wishing I didn't buy my PS3 or Wii right now :bomb:. Bought consoles because I didn't want to upgrade my PC and end up back at the original problem and going to do what I tried to avoid doing.[/QUOTE]

Just get a new case. You can still make a super capable machine for that kind of money. I made mine on $800 (though I've spent probably an additional $70 on case fans and an aftermarket cooler after I OC'd my CPU to 3.67 GHz)

By the time you would probably be able to build, price may have gone down as well. Pretty sure new video cards and cpu's are on the horizon.

[quote name='iRent']Just get a new case. You can still make a super capable machine for that kind of money. I made mine on $800 (though I've spent probably an additional $70 on case fans and an aftermarket cooler after I OC'd my CPU to 3.67 GHz)

By the time you would probably be able to build, price may have gone down as well. Pretty sure new video cards and cpu's are on the horizon.[/QUOTE]

Don't know about graphics but cpus are. Intel's sandy bridge Q1 2011 and AMD's Bulldozer a little later next year. Hoping for some good price drops!

[quote name='drooli']Don't know about graphics but cpus are. Intel's sandy bridge Q1 2011 and AMD's Bulldozer a little later next year. Hoping for some good price drops![/QUOTE]

I'm under the impression that amd's new gpus will help drive down prices of the 5xxx series. I believe they're set to release next month?....

[quote name='iRent']I'm under the impression that amd's new gpus will help drive down prices of the 5xxx series. I believe they're set to release next month?....[/QUOTE]
Never looked into it, but I think it got delayed to early next year from what I'm reading.

[quote name='iRent']I'm under the impression that amd's new gpus will help drive down prices of the 5xxx series. I believe they're set to release next month?....[/QUOTE]

I hope they release and it drops the 5000's so i can get another card. from what ive seen there isnt much if any performance incentive to switch.

[quote name='kilm']Looks normal.

Yeah, but the 5770 is still a very nice card. But you're right. the 460's price is competitive and makes it a better product ATM[/QUOTE]

I'm soon getting ready to put together a build and noticed the GTX 460 talk and how it's better than the 5770 but I'm seeing the 5770 for around $130-$160 and GTX for like $170-200.

Is the 460 leaps and bounds better? I was going to get the 5770 but I have some Gamestop credit and they sell the 460:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84134

[quote name='jkam']I'm soon getting ready to put together a build and noticed the GTX 460 talk and how it's better than the 5770 but I'm seeing the 5770 for around $130-$160 and GTX for like $170-200.

Is the 460 leaps and bounds better? I was going to get the 5770 but I have some Gamestop credit and they sell the 460:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84134[/QUOTE]

$110 after code and $20 rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
code EMCZYYV45

for that price it seems like a pretty darn good card.

[quote name='jkam']I'm soon getting ready to put together a build and noticed the GTX 460 talk and how it's better than the 5770 but I'm seeing the 5770 for around $130-$160 and GTX for like $170-200.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84134[/QUOTE]

Leaps and bound better is really something for you to evaluate.

The performance of the 460 justifies the $40 difference between a 5770 and 460 IMO, but a 60 dollar difference makes me hesitate to choose the 460 over 5770.......... lol

Just got my pc built and am happy to say it's working fine :). Not happy to report that I completely forgot about getting a PCI network adapter. Any recomendations? I would love to use a wired connection, but my router is in a completely different room.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Just got my pc built and am happy to say it's working fine :). Not happy to report that I completely forgot about getting a PCI network adapter. Any recomendations? I would love to use a wired connection, but my router is in a completely different room.[/QUOTE]

doesn't you motherboard already have an ethernet port ?

[quote name='DarkRider23']Just got my pc built and am happy to say it's working fine :). Not happy to report that I completely forgot about getting a PCI network adapter. Any recomendations? I would love to use a wired connection, but my router is in a completely different room.[/QUOTE]

if you planning on gaming online with your new computer it might just be a better decision to buy 100 or 200 feet of ethernet cable and run it through your attic to your router.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']if you planning on gaming online with your new computer it might just be a better decision to buy 100 or 200 feet of ethernet cable and run it through your attic to your router.[/QUOTE]
I have been using wireless for a way and gaming isn't a problem online?

P.C., Xbox 360, DS, Wii, PS3, you name it, I play all of them online.

[quote name='MiNuN']I have been using wireless for a way and gaming isn't a problem online?

P.C., Xbox 360, DS, Wii, PS3, you name it, I play all of them online.[/QUOTE]

Nothing is necessarily wrong with wireless, it's just that wired is a better option.

[quote name='kilm']Nothing is necessarily wrong with wireless, it's just that wired is a better option.[/QUOTE]

And I'm definitely not arguing that, but I would have to run the cable from upstairs to downstairs and that would be a huge pain in the ass. I don't plan on doing much PC gaming online. Just Starcraft 2. All my other PC Gaming will be done in Single Player games for the most part.

i never have a problem with my wireless n, for gaming or casual browsing. the only time the connection has problem is when the modem itself has a problem, and then a wired connection wouldnt do any good either.

its annoying to run lots of cables, router & modem are in the family room by the tv. have 2 computer in 2 different bedrooms, a laptop that roams and various other wifi devices.

So, thanks to some recent (failed) experiments with ripping Blu's to try to stream from my WHS to my PS3 without converting (VC-1 encoded), I have come to the conclusion that I'm ready for an htpc (tired of the picky PS3) and a new PC (didn't even really want to attempt re-encoding a BR movie on my e6750).

For the htpc, the plan is to just take my current desktop and replace the video card and voila! my htpc. (It's an Asus P5W DH board with the e6750, 4gb ram, Corsair 520 modular PSU in an Antec Solo case.) I'll take the 8800GTS card out and put in an ATI 5670 so I have an HDMI out. While I'd prefer a case that matches my AV equipment, I don't feel like spending $$$ for one. (Cheapest I found the Antec Fusion Max was $185 and the Thermaltake DH202 was $250. I could alternatively get a $110 Silverstone and add an IR dongle like I'll do to the Antec Solo, but then why bother...might as well just use the Solo.)

For the new primary PC, I was going to go with just a 1156 build with a i7-850 or -860. Between case, board, cpu, ram, BR combo, 500gb hdd, etc. I was going to end up in the neighborhood of $1000 (including video card and an IR remote for the "htpc".

However, I found out I'm going to have an extra $250 this month so now I'm contemplating stepping up to a 1366 build. Given the price increase of the 1366 over the 1156 (though not "that" much) and Sandy Bridge coming out early (??) next year...is it worth the $$ to go ahead and do a 1366 build? I guess something like this is what I'm considering:

Antec 300 Illusion $70
i7-950 $300
One of: Gigabyte X58-USB3, ASUS Sabretooth X58, ASRock X58 Extreme 3 $190
G.Skill 6gb PC3-12800 $125
500gb hard drive $55
Corsair 550VX $90
LB Blu Combo UH10LS20 $85
Sapphire 5670 $90
CPU Cooler - unknown

2nd Sapphire 5670 for htpc $90
Some MCE remote thing $25 (just need the IR and will then use my Harmony)

Total: $1005 + CPU Cooler + $115 (htpc) + shipping/tax = roughly $1180

Stepping down to the 1156 instead would save me roughly $20 (cpu) + $50-ish (board) + $40 (RAM), so the cost of the 1366 over the 1156 is only about $110.

Future/Optional: a TV Tuner card to go in the htpc also $80

What am I forgetting? Is the 1366 build the way to go?

Edit: Well, was doing some more research of my own and finally read the Sandy Bridge preview on anandtech...and I might just have convinced myself to wait til Q1 for it. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm... Microcenter is pretty damn awesome. Picked up a wireless N PCI adapter for $20 after a $15 MIR. Not a bad deal at all.

I know this is a weird question, but does anyone know of any stores that usually have good gaming keyboards on display? I'ld like to use a keyboard before I actually buy it. I'm looking at the Razer Lycosa, but reviews I keep reading are half good, half bad, so I'm on the edge. What are the chances something like the Lycosa goes on sale Black Friday or even Cyber Monday for that matter?

[quote name='texasnightowl']So, thanks to some recent (failed) experiments with ripping Blu's to try to stream from my WHS to my PS3 without converting (VC-1 encoded), I have come to the conclusion that I'm ready for an htpc (tired of the picky PS3) and a new PC (didn't even really want to attempt re-encoding a BR movie on my e6750).

For the htpc, the plan is to just take my current desktop and replace the video card and voila! my htpc. (It's an Asus P5W DH board with the e6750, 4gb ram, Corsair 520 modular PSU in an Antec Solo case.) I'll take the 8800GTS card out and put in an ATI 5670 so I have an HDMI out. While I'd prefer a case that matches my AV equipment, I don't feel like spending $$$ for one. (Cheapest I found the Antec Fusion Max was $185 and the Thermaltake DH202 was $250. I could alternatively get a $110 Silverstone and add an IR dongle like I'll do to the Antec Solo, but then why bother...might as well just use the Solo.)

For the new primary PC, I was going to go with just a 1156 build with a i7-850 or -860. Between case, board, cpu, ram, BR combo, 500gb hdd, etc. I was going to end up in the neighborhood of $1000 (including video card and an IR remote for the "htpc".

However, I found out I'm going to have an extra $250 this month so now I'm contemplating stepping up to a 1366 build. Given the price increase of the 1366 over the 1156 (though not "that" much) and Sandy Bridge coming out early (??) next year...is it worth the $$ to go ahead and do a 1366 build? I guess something like this is what I'm considering:

Antec 300 Illusion $70
i7-950 $300
One of: Gigabyte X58-USB3, ASUS Sabretooth X58, ASRock X58 Extreme 3 $190
G.Skill 6gb PC3-12800 $125
500gb hard drive $55
Corsair 550VX $90
LB Blu Combo UH10LS20 $85
Sapphire 5670 $90
CPU Cooler - unknown

2nd Sapphire 5670 for htpc $90
Some MCE remote thing $25 (just need the IR and will then use my Harmony)

Total: $1005 + CPU Cooler + $115 (htpc) + shipping/tax = roughly $1180

Stepping down to the 1156 instead would save me roughly $20 (cpu) + $50-ish (board) + $40 (RAM), so the cost of the 1366 over the 1156 is only about $110.

Future/Optional: a TV Tuner card to go in the htpc also $80

What am I forgetting? Is the 1366 build the way to go?

Edit: Well, was doing some more research of my own and finally read the Sandy Bridge preview on anandtech...and I might just have convinced myself to wait til Q1 for it. http://www.anandtech.com/show/3871/the-sandy-bridge-preview-three-wins-in-a-row/1[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, why do you feel it's a good idea to buy a $300 processor and a $90 video card?

I don't know exactly how you use your computer, but I'd recommend dropping to an i5-750 and getting a GTX 460. Sticking with 1156 would allow you to get a cheaper motherboard too.

Also, instead of getting one blu-ray reader drive/dvd burner, why not get two separate drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325 - $50 blu-ray reader
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106334 - $20 dvd burner - Does 24x instead of 16x like the blu-combo drive does too.

And if you want just one drive, I'd spend the extra $15 to get a blu-ray burner instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181 - $100, with free PowerDVD software too.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Out of curiosity, why do you feel it's a good idea to buy a $300 processor and a $90 video card?
[/QUOTE]

Because for the most part, I'm not a PC gamer. About the only game I'm interested in at the moment is Civ5. Though I'm not sure how I feel about how tightly tied into Steam it is.

I don't know exactly how you use your computer, but I'd recommend dropping to an i5-750 and getting a GTX 460. Sticking with 1156 would allow you to get a cheaper motherboard too.

My primary goal...the main reason I'm in an upgrade mood...is the ability to re-encode my Blu-ray movies...Yeah, my e6750 can do it...slowly...so for me at the moment, cpu is more important.

Thanks for the drive suggestions; I'll take a look.

I guess the biggest dilemma right now is whether to wait on Sandy Bridge or not. At the moment, 1156 is less expensive to build but it also going to die more quickly than 1366 since the performance Sandy Bridge is going to be later in the year 2011.

Decisions, decisions...since SB intro is only 3 months or less away, I may wait.

[quote name='texasnightowl']Because for the most part, I'm not a PC gamer. About the only game I'm interested in at the moment is Civ5. Though I'm not sure how I feel about how tightly tied into Steam it is.

My primary goal...the main reason I'm in an upgrade mood...is the ability to re-encode my Blu-ray movies...Yeah, my e6750 can do it...slowly...so for me at the moment, cpu is more important.

Thanks for the drive suggestions; I'll take a look.

I guess the biggest dilemma right now is whether to wait on Sandy Bridge or not. At the moment, 1156 is less expensive to build but it also going to die more quickly than 1366 since the performance Sandy Bridge is going to be later in the year 2011.

Decisions, decisions...since SB intro is only 3 months or less away, I may wait.[/QUOTE]

Personally if I had the money for an i7 I would go for the 950. And I would also wait the 3 months out for Sandy Bridge, but who knows how much of a price drop there is going to be?

So, my 4980 died on me, and while its under warranty, I won't be able to get it replaced within a month or so, and I am looking to get a 5 series Ati card for dx11. Right now I am looking at a 5770 and a 5830. It looks like the 5830 is going about 30 bucks more, but I found some with free pack in games.

Any recommendations? Or should I just be patient and play console games for a while?

[quote name='udabenshen']So, my 4980 died on me, and while its under warranty, I won't be able to get it replaced within a month or so, and I am looking to get a 5 series Ati card for dx11. Right now I am looking at a 5770 and a 5830. It looks like the 5830 is going about 30 bucks more, but I found some with free pack in games.

Any recommendations? Or should I just be patient and play console games for a while?[/QUOTE]

You can be patient. Holiday season/sales are coming up, so wait it out a bit longer.

BTW, sorry I didn't originally post my first post here, but I overlooked it and I closed my other thread so hopefully a mod will see it and delete it.

I want to upgrade my computer for about 800$ hopefully for less if i can, and I was wondering what would give me a decent performance upgrade and what would be overkill for casual gaming and recording with fraps.

My specs are:

E8400 Wolfdale
4gigs of DDR2 800 RAM
250 7200 Maxtor
Nvidia GTS 250
Windows 7x64
MSI MS-7345

I guess my real questions are, does my processor FSB have any relation to my RAM's rate(i guess it's FSB) and if it does if my PC800 ram bottlenecking my 1333 CPU and does DDR3 matter to the CPU at all or is mainly affected by the mboard?

Also, I know there is Mboard raid and there is also RAID from PCIE, would the Mboard raid be enough for a small configuration raid of say two hard drives set to raid0 or would I need to get a PCIE adapter for any raid0 performances?

I was considering on getting new RAM sticks of either higher clock rates or maybe even get DDR3 if my CPU would support that and put a couple of raptors in a raid or something to improve my system enough to notice a performance difference. What are your guys opinion on this?

Your ram is not bottlenecking your cpu. From what I read theres not really a relation between the two. From what I remember as well is that DDR3 is not really that big of a performance upgrade from DDR2. You could upgrade though since it seems like you have the money to get DDR3, which would make you more ready for the future I guess.
No idea about RAID, hopefully someone else can tell you about that.
Personally I would upgrade your graphics card. Besides that I see nothing that would boost your performance noticeably.

[quote name='aihuman']Here be my list.[/QUOTE]

What is the main purpose for this computer? Your selections confuse me a little bit.

If you're choosing between NZXT cases I would recommend the Beta Evo.

Your hard drive is good; I bought the same exact thing.

Going to crossfire? No? Save a few dollars and downgrade the mobo. If yes, why with that video card? Should at least step up to a 4870 or 5770.

Only 2 GB of ram?

The PSU is nice but it's overkill. Could just save money and buy an OCZ modxstream 500w or 600w and pocket the savings or put it towards a better video card. Also, they are partially modular.

[quote name='BackInBlack']Are you really getting both of those monitors?[/QUOTE]
No,I can't decided which one I should get. 27" 1080p or 25"1900x1200
[quote name='BackInBlack']fixed,

You're spending decent change, do yourself a favor and buy a nice case.[/QUOTE]
I like the aesthetic look of the case.I currently have this
[quote name='iRent']What is the main purpose for this computer? Your selections confuse me a little bit.

If you're choosing between NZXT cases I would recommend the Beta Evo.

Your hard drive is good; I bought the same exact thing.

Going to crossfire? No? Save a few dollars and downgrade the mobo. If yes, why with that video card? Should at least step up to a 4870 or 5770.

Only 2 GB of ram?

The PSU is nice but it's overkill. Could just save money and buy an OCZ modxstream 500w or 600w and pocket the savings or put it towards a better video card. Also, they are partially modular.[/QUOTE]
Gaming will be the main purpose for this computer.I want to put it together as quickly as possible with very little money but also have it future proof.I plan to upgrade ram,graphics card and the cpu.I want to reuse the cpu and the gpu for a htpc.

[quote name='aihuman']Gaming will be the main purpose for this computer.I want to put it together as quickly as possible with very little money but also have it future proof.I plan to upgrade ram,graphics card and possibly cpu-a hand me down cpu I want to use for an HTCP.[/QUOTE]

buy the 5770 for $10 more, switch the blue drive to a black or samsung f3
and add 2gb of ram.

[quote name='kube00']How about some build updates, please?[/QUOTE]

you'll have to contact sostrooper for that

I need a replacement hard drive for a macbook that's been out of commission for a while and I had this one in mind.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136280
It should come out to $50 +tax after the promotional code. Good deal? Better suggestions?

I don't know about performance difference, but here's a bigger drive scorpio blue for 5 dollars more.
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Drive-WD5000BEVT/dp/B001JSSDGU/

So I need some help again. This morning I used my computer just fine... no problems at all. Shut it down and left for school. Now, I'm trying to put it on, but it's not sending any signal to my monitor. The computer turns on fine... mobo is powered, cpu is powered, gpu is on and running and every fan is on and working. I've double checked the monitor's cables and can't find anything wrong... ideas? The computer's been untouched since I left for school.

And I can't edit my post for whatever reason on m phone... my razer lycosa also won't power on... everytime I hit a key on it, the number lock key flashes once.

Have you hooked up the monitor to another pc? And another monitor to your pc thats having problems? Try that and let us know.

Just did that and the monitor worked fine on another computer. I don't have a 2nd monitor so I tried hooking up my computer to my tv and nothing. I'll be passing by a friends house tomorrow to try it out on his monitor.

Is anyone else thinking defective gpu?

Reseat your ram, move it to different slots, reseat your video card. That worked for someone else. If not then I'm reading its a cpu or mobo problem. You can try putting your video card in a friends computer as well.

[quote name='drooli']Reseat your ram, move it to different slots, reseat your video card. That worked for someone else. If not then I'm reading its a cpu or mobo problem. You can try putting your video card in a friends computer as well.[/QUOTE]

Thank ya. I reseated my Ram into the same slots and it worked. It didn't seem like it was loose or anything when I first took it out, but whatever. It's working now so I'm not going to complain. Thanks.

Any suggestions on how to uninstall/reinstall graphics drivers? It's been years since I've had to try and do this, and I think I fucked up a wee bit. I tried to uninstall the whole Catalyst Control Center and do a fresh install with the new version (10.10 from 10.8; I have an HD 5770). However, all that showed up in Add/Remove Programs under Windows 7 (64 bit) was the Catalyst Install Manager. I run that and try to use the Express option to uninstall everything (it says this as well, that it should remove ALL ATI/Catalyst components). Well, all it did was uninstall that manager, so now there's nothing ATI related under Add/Remove Programs. Running either the old or new setups for the install packages for Catalyst get me to the screen showing the options of "Install" and "Uninstall" and clicking either does nothing.

It's frustrating as all hell. I'm not sure how to proceed. It's as though Catalyst has its claws sunk in and refuses to let go, and I can't do anything to change/update/delete it. Any suggestions or thoughts?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']New AMD (formerly ATI) cards available tomorrow:

1UP: AMD Reveals Radeon HD 6800 Series Graphics Cards

And I was planning on getting a GTX460 too, but we'll see how these do in the benchmarks.[/QUOTE]

performance on the 6800 cards is close to the performance of the 5800 series at the same price points.
6850 is similar to 5830, 6870 is similar to 5850.
biggest differences I noticed were increased eyefinity support.

bread's done
Back