Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - (use spoiler tags please)

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm just going to assume you're in a bad mood today or some shit because other people get it. It's not the score itself, but when compared to other games that scored higher, you have to question GT's review standards. In a side-by-side comparison of Halo 3 and Uncharted 2;

Story - This is a personal preference, but story wise, it should be a toss-up between the two seeing as how both provide an enjoyable experience.

Design - Uncharted wins, hands down. ONLY fanboys would argue that Halo 3 looks better. Everyone acknowledges that Halo 3 was a letdown in the graphics/design department. The word 'bland' comes to mind.

Gameplay - I don't care if one game is 3rd person and the other 1st. Both are still fun games, so again, a toss-up.

Presentation - Another toss-up. The menus are simplistic, the HUD in each game is well implemented.

The GT reviewer for Uncharted 2 was practically in love with the game, only criticizing that it draws from a lot of games in the past BUT that it is practically a master in everything it does. How then can Halo 3, with it's faults, score higher than Uncharted 2? I'm not arguing for half a point, I'm arguing the fact that a seemingly better game (judging from the video reviews) got a lower score. Call me a fanboy all you want, you must be blind considering under my username to the left my gamertags are displayed for BOTH the 360 and PS3 (and I've had a 360 for a few years now, while only having the PS3 for a few weeks). Not to mention I've put in close to 500 hours in Halo 3...so go fuck yourself and your fanboy label.[/QUOTE]
This ends it.

[quote name='Trakan']How about you compare Uncharted 2 to Rock Band 2 next. I mean they're both fun games, right?

You list story, gameplay, and presentation as toss ups or personal preference. That just leaves design. You really can't compare the two, for many reasons. I'm not saying H3 looks better. It doesn't. Uncharted is on a more powerful console, and its developer has worked with the console before. Halo 3 was Bungie's first game on the 360. This is their second effort for the system, not to mention it's out over two years after Halo 3. Of course it should look better.

With that in mind, maybe the GT reviewer thought that while it masters everything it does, its lack of originality should dock it .7 of a point. Who the hell cares?

Let's pretend that you're right about everything you've mentioned. Unless the same guy reviewed Halo 3 and Uncharted 2, your argument really holds no water anyway.[/QUOTE]

Bungie at the time was also a first part developer, in case you forgot. They had the same recourses AND by all accounts an easier platform to develop on and take advantage of. But if you want to go the route that Halo 3 was Bungies first game on the 360, then I'll raise you Uncharted 1, which I'm sure many would agree looked just as good, if not better than Halo 3. What about ODST? It's still the same engine but it doesn't even come close to Uncharted 2. Who is to blame there?

More powerful console...do thy eyes deceive me or did I just see a hypocrite?

Alright, now I'm officially done talking about this shit.

SynGamer, you'll obviously never get it. Luckily some people do.

[quote name='Trakan']Alright, now I'm officially done talking about this shit.

SynGamer, you'll obviously never get it. Luckily some people do.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Let's just agree to disagree.

[quote name='Trakan']With that in mind, maybe the GT reviewer thought that while it masters everything it does, its lack of originality should dock it .7 of a point. Who the hell cares?

Let's pretend that you're right about everything you've mentioned. Unless the same guy reviewed Halo 3 and Uncharted 2, your argument really holds no water anyway.[/QUOTE]

How exactly was Halo 3 more original than Uncharted 2? It was basically Halo 2.5 with average graphics even for when it was released, with Gears, a third party game, blowing the visuals out of the water. It's only redeeming quality was the gameplay which was almost exactly like the previous Halo games. Why is okay for Halo 3 to get away with recycling the same gameplay elements but not Uncharted 2 which actually enhanced gameplay from the first game by adding stealth elements?

Also, the fact that the reviews were from the same site means that they should be scored according to the same criteria regardless of whether or not the same guy reviewed them. The review isn't as disappointing to me as the blatant bias against the PS3 shown by GT which should be an impartial reviewer. Either way, I'm glad you enjoyed the game enough that you're planning on purchasing it. :cool:

PS, for those that weren't aware, if you preorder the game from Target, you receive a $5 gift card with your purchase.

[quote name='We_OnABoat']Any chance this game will leak or Break street date???

just bought a PS3 Fat on Craigslist for $170[/QUOTE]

Might want to check your local mom and pop shops. Those types of stores are relatively lax about release dates.

I wonder how many more copies the game would sell if it did get a 9.8. Probably not too many more, maybe a few hundred thousand, but it would've been nice to see U2 get those extra sales imo. Having just finished the first game, it's my favorite game since Call of Duty 2 on 360 at launch. It does seem though on CAG that if you defend anything PS3 related you're immediately labeled fanboy. Not talking about whatever Trakan was saying, but in general.

[quote name='J7.']I wonder how many more copies the game would sell if it did get a 9.8. Probably not too many more, maybe a few hundred thousand, but it would've been nice to see U2 get those extra sales imo. Having just finished the first game, it's my favorite game since Call of Duty 2 on 360 at launch. It does seem though on CAG that if you defend anything PS3 related you're immediately labeled fanboy. Not talking about whatever Trakan was saying, but in general.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 is in a AAA first party game drought. This game could have gotten 8's across the board and it will still sell well as far as PS3 games are concerned.

[quote name='Malik112099']The PS3 is in a AAA first party game drought. This game could have gotten 8's across the board and it will still sell well as far as PS3 games are concerned.[/QUOTE]
AAA first party game drought? Compared to what?

[quote name='J7.']AAA first party game drought? Compared to what?[/QUOTE]

i meant exclusive, not first party

and to answer your question, compared to itself. What was the last big exclusive? PS3 owners have got to be chomping at the bit to get a good exclusive in their hands, i know I am.

If you want to compare to the others then ODST just launched and is already the second most played XBL game behind Halo 3 and in front of COD4 and CODWaW.

a few 10ths of a point off a review score compared to a game not even on the same system isnt going to cause it to sell any less on a system that has people waiting for good exclusives to come out. It is fucking stupid to argue it.

inFamous, Killzone 2, MLB 09 The Show, Flower, Fat Princess. I thought the general consensus was that PS3 has had the best lineup of any game system for exclusives so far this year. Halo ODST and what else this year already released?

I think it'd be very easy for Uncharted 2 to sell another two hundred thousand copies worldwide had it been given a 9.8 instead of a 9.3, it would've been the highest rated PS3 game and tied for the 2nd highest game rating of all time. I meant overall, not just GT's review. On principle. Reviews mean a lot to some people. If people otherwise not interested heard that about a game they'd be likely to pick it up.

[quote name='Malik112099']i meant exclusive, not first party

and to answer your question, compared to itself. What was the last big exclusive? PS3 owners have got to be chomping at the bit to get a good exclusive in their hands, i know I am.

If you want to compare to the others then ODST just launched and is already the second most played XBL game behind Halo 3 and in front of COD4 and CODWaW.

a few 10ths of a point off a review score compared to a game not even on the same system isnt going to cause it to sell any less on a system that has people waiting for good exclusives to come out. It is fucking stupid to argue it.[/QUOTE]

infamous. that was a pretty big ps3 exclusive that didnt come out that long ago.

Here we go again..
Lets talk about Uncharted 2 instead! Amazon pushed my preorder from 2 day shipping to 3 days :cry:

[quote name='Invin']Here we go again..
Lets talk about Uncharted 2 instead! Amazon pushed my preorder from 2 day shipping to 3 days :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously. Sucks about the delay which is why I'm passing up Amazon and will just buy this in store.

I'm amazed at how much people are going ape-shit about the GT score. Though I haven't played Uncharted 2, I was surprised when the score was released since the reviewer's only major complaint was "that there's nothing new about the game" but it mastered anything it imitated.

If you think half a point on a review from one website would directly sell an extra 200K copies of a game worldwide on a last place system (sales wise) you are either the president of the SDF or are out of your fucking mind.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']I'm sad they're cutting the twitter updates out. Can't people just unsubscribe to those that update too much.[/QUOTE]

haha! yeah i noticed twitter in one of the menus and was like WTF? then i thought "where's facebook connect?"

shit is getting crazy with all the internet/social connectivity

Yes, but I raise you to halo/gears

Also, they plan on adding the Twitter function in a patch once the game is released, but they're gonna tone it down to where you can only tweet a certain amount of msgs an hour.

[quote name='Malik112099']If you think half a point on a review from one website would directly sell an extra 200K copies of a game worldwide on a last place system (sales wise) you are either the president of the SDF or are out of your fucking mind.[/QUOTE]
You didn't read my last post did you. :roll: I meant it's score across all websites... If Uncharted got a 9.8 on metacritic and gamerankings.com it would sell a bit more worldwide.

[quote name='J7.']You didn't read my last post did you. :roll: I meant it's score across all websites... If Uncharted got a 9.8 on metacritic and gamerankings.com it would sell a bit more worldwide.[/QUOTE]

not 200K more :roll:

anyways..im playing right now.....if anyone wants to play

[quote name='blader16']Yes, but I raise you to halo/gears

Also, they plan on adding the Twitter function in a patch once the game is released, but they're gonna tone it down to where you can only tweet a certain amount of msgs an hour.[/QUOTE]

Not enough! I think they should cut out the cut scene or check point options or whatever those are. and let people tell others they beat a stage got a trophy or are hoping online.

I don't even have a twitter, but Id get one so that Naughty Dog could auto-update it for me with my game advancements.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']
I don't even have a twitter, but Id get one so that Naughty Dog could auto-update it for me with my game advancements.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a feature I was looking forward to. Hopefully they get the patch going soon.

I think ND realized at the eleventh hour that the twitter feature was not going to work. IMO, it was probably a mistake to shoot for something extraneous like that. The game has so much more to offer w/o that kind of thing anyway.

[quote name='Malik112099']not 200K more :roll:
[/QUOTE]
I think it would definitely sell 200k more worldwide with that aggregate score, it would only be 1,282 copies per week in each major region for 1 year or 641 more copies per week for 2 years. Of course much of that extra would come at release, during holidays, when it reaches GH.

[quote name='J7.']I think it would definitely sell 200k more worldwide with that aggregate score, it would only be 1,282 copies per week in each major region for 1 year or 641 more copies per week for 2 years. Of course much of that extra would come at release, during holidays, when it reaches GH.[/QUOTE]

Thankfully the game is holding a 97 on Metacritic.

[quote name='blader16']Also, they plan on adding the Twitter function in a patch once the game is released, but they're gonna tone it down to where you can only tweet a certain amount of msgs an hour.[/QUOTE]

Here's that post on the twitter patch update.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69...-Disabled.html

_________________________________________________________________________________

Also, here is an interview with Naughty Dog's Co-President Evan Wells. I've stripped out all the unimportant parts for you guys, so I would just recommend reading the quotes.

WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

...There’s still a lot that can be done with it and I’m sure Uncharted 2 isn’t the last you’ll see of Nathan Drake.... However, what I can say is that we will be doing another game for this generation of hardware.
We wanted to add as many features as possible to foster a strong online community which is why we spent as much time as we did on our Party System.
I'm hoping they add clan support in the final product, but I doubt it. Like making it were you can see who's all online in the clan and having clan tags. Just like how Insomniac did with Resistance 2, which I really like their party system also.

We definitely see players quitting as an issue.... We’re also going to adjust the win conditions dynamically as the number of players adjusts to put the goal at a more attainable level for both teams. Finally we’re going to implement a penalty for frequent quitting, so players won’t do it without thinking twice.
Naughty Dog absolutely will be supporting Uncharted 2 with DLC. Exactly what and when has not been announced, but it will be multiplayer focused.
Of course! We’d love to see Uncharted grow beyond the PS3. It would be interesting to see what sort of changes to the design one would make for a portable system.
*COUGH*PSP*COUGH*

BTW, I just had post that huge ass picture to add to it...

Last edited by a moderator:
GT is stupid. I would actually be disappointed if Uncharted 2 did anything drastically different from the first game because the first game just felt so perfect. I don't want anything that will make the gameplay feel different, all I want is a new story which I know Naughty Dog is going to deliver flawlessly, the online is just a huge added bonus.

[quote name='Evan Wells/ND']...There’s still a lot that can be done with it and I’m sure Uncharted 2 isn’t the last you’ll see of Nathan Drake.... However, what I can say is that we will be doing another game for this generation of hardware.[/quote]

I wonder if they're gonna do a PS3 Jak & Daxter?

[quote name='gunm']I wonder if they're gonna do a PS3 Jak & Daxter?[/QUOTE]
id be down for that too as well as a new sly cooper. those are both 2 franchises that i cant wait to see what culd be done with them on the ps3.

I'd love to see what Naughty God funny typo! Dog could achieve on PSP & would love to have Uncharted on the go. I really enjoy it's gameplay.

Nice. Hopefully Amazon ships the game out quickly since they've apparently started shipping it to stores? Or at least copies are floating around.

Dude, the Uncharted 2 event (at Muvico) was friggen amazing. They had awesome food and we got to see four different single player gameplay (un-friggen-believable). And there was a tournament (10 game console infront of the big screen and it was viewable on the movie theater screen). I was team captain and my team came in 3rd (out of about 12 teams)- so we won a signed UNCHARTED 2 poster (signed by everyone that worked on it). We would have won first, but I lost the coin toss which made us have to play two times at the end.

But the BEST part - I got a copy of Uncharted 2! For free! Woohoo. This game is insane. The footage looked ridiculous. Best game of all time I say.

(I'll post pics of the event if anybody wants)

Wow. I wish I could've seen it on the big screen. What do you think of the single player, can you compare it to the first game?

Best thing I have ever seen. I'm going to start playing it tomorrow morning... because I have been at the event for the past 5 hours, haha.

But seriously, the train sequence in this game - is truly the most "next-gen" thing I have seen yet on any console.
It is like a 15 minute segment where you are riding a train from one area all the way to a completely different area - zero loading and halfway through you fight
a friggen helicopter on the train.
. Sadly, I walked out on 2 of the 4 single player segments (did not want any spoilers) but my GF staid and said they were insanely amazing as well.

Can't wait to start my copy! I'm so happy I get to save my 65 bucks and cancel my preorder. I'm just totally bummed that I was 2 wins away from winning the Fortune Hunter edition (not sold in stores). UGH!

[quote name='J7.']I'd love to see what Naughty God funny typo! Dog could achieve on PSP & would love to have Uncharted on the go. I really enjoy it's gameplay.[/QUOTE]
They've done too much work with the PS3 to just switch to the PSP for a couple of years, so I'd bet that one of Sony's stable of PSP developers (High Impact, Sony Bend, or maybe even the epic return of Ready at Dawn?) would do the adaptation.

There is only two people playing online... =(

Anyone else get it?

PICS of what I got:
U2001.jpg

Got the poster for getting 3rd in the tournie
U2002.jpg

And of course UNCHARTED 2 (nobody is online though...):
U2006.jpg

All in all, an awesome haul. Was not expecting to get ANYTHING.

Nice, Bear...but spoilerize that train stuff! I had to look away as I want to be blown away when I get the game myself. :p

Thank you! And so sorry about that spoiler, didn't cover up enough I guess hehe. I just assumed the train sequence was known! Sorry the rest is covered.

Just: GET THIS GAME!!!

bread's done
Back