What Happened To DVD Aficionado?

Chris Dillon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I was just going there for the first time in a few months and everything has changed. I tryed to login and my collection was gone. WTF? I guess it may be time to get all my 200 dvds into another db. Any recomendations?

dvd aficionado has upgraded to 2.0. You can go to www.dvdaf.com and there is a link to login to your account (same as old site). If your collection is not there, then there is an option to move your old collection to the new site. The new site offers a lot of friendly features that the old one couldn't.

My favourites were IMDB and IGN. I reccommend either of those. I once used DVD Afcionado but it took to long to load up the movies.

[quote name='red flare graf']I haven't been able to get used to it yet.. I think it sucks. The old site was pretty much perfect.[/quote]

Yes. I cannot STAND that stupid traveling icon to the left when you drag your collection up and down; I can't find a way to disable it. They made v2.0 worse imo. Or at least I need some justification on "why" it's better.

I miss version 1.0 or the original where everything just worked and was perfect. This new one sucks. I wish there was some way to go to the old style like there is on IMDB since 2.0 is just horrendous. I hate logging in/going to the site anymore.

[quote name='asianxcore']I hate the new DVDAF. As hiccuple mentioned I miss the old site.

Since the 2.0 change, I have moved my entire collection to www.DVDSpot.com

It took a while but it was well worth it.[/QUOTE]

That site looks promising.

I did the same thing as asianxcore. It's a bit time consuming moving your collection, but I like DVDspot a lot better than the new DVDAF.

I'm fine with DVDAF. I just need a site to catalog my collection. Also, anyone know how the fuck to change your password? I swear I've looked everywhere on that site. I have to keep using that random ass 7 digit password they sent me when I moved my collection over to 2.0.

lol wow, so much animosity for something that's free. :p

Anyway, I'm happy with DVD Aficionado. The change to this new version was initially cumbersome, but I've gotten use to it. There seems to be a lot of information included with each title on DVDSpot, but I'm way too lazy to try to move all my DVDs over to there, especially when DVDAF works great IMO.

While I hate the new setup on DVD Aficionado, and use DVDSpot as well as DVD Aficionado, I still have to prefer DVD Aficionado. I've had to add about 20 dvds that I own into the DVD Spot list because they werent originally on there, and I probally have about another 25-30 that aren't on there but I got sick of adding so many dvds when i could easily just find them on Aficionado.

[quote name='gigantor1313']My favourites were IMDB and IGN. I reccommend either of those. I once used DVD Afcionado but it took to long to load up the movies.[/quote] I'm sorry but IGN is just a joke unless it's for game collections. They have less then half the movies in my collection and they don't even keep tabs on collected editions or re-releases. Also any DVD site that doesn't have Slither in it's database for me is basically dead.

Though I definetly agree on DVDAf having the better search engine. More reason much more prefered in my opinion.

[quote name='GunsGermsSteel']Not to be a COMPLETE shill, but I highly recommend Listal. Not only do they catalog your DVDs, but they can also do your movies, TV shows, books, and videogames.

Also, if you want to become my friend, here's my profile: http://gunsgermssteel.listal.com/ (I'm so lonely!)[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm...this setup actually looks pretty good. Has the star system that dvd aficionado got rid of plus displays 100 dvds per page instead of 50. If they have at least 99% of the 1500+ dvds I own listed than I will definitely try this place out.

I use Listal for my books. They only seem to carry Region 1 dvds so if you're an improter it isn't really for you.

Does anyone know how to add something to dvdaf now? Their anime releases are out of date and that just isn't acceptable for me.

[quote name='crazynater']If your collection is not there, then there is an option to move your old collection to the new site. .[/QUOTE]

how the hell do you do this?

*edit* nevermind I found it

Well tried Listal and was adding my tv on dvd first. Was going alphabetical and while searching for Andy Milonakis....no results. So I'm done with Listal.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Well tried Listal and was adding my tv on dvd first. Was going alphabetical and while searching for Andy Milonakis....no results. So I'm done with Listal.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know it's super easy to add a new item to the database. Enter the amazon code for the item. Not only is the item instantly added to the data base but so is the picture.

But again they don't deal with other regions.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']Just so you know it's super easy to add a new item to the database. Enter the amazon code for the item. Not only is the item instantly added to the data base but so is the picture.

But again they don't deal with other regions.[/QUOTE]

That's a big plus.

[quote name='GunsGermsSteel']Not to be a COMPLETE shill, but I highly recommend Listal. Not only do they catalog your DVDs, but they can also do your movies, TV shows, books, and videogames.

Also, if you want to become my friend, here's my profile: http://gunsgermssteel.listal.com/ (I'm so lonely!)[/quote]

Wow, that really is a great looking site. I'm going to go sign up, thanks for the link!

Way too lazy to transfer my collection to another site. And finally please. Does anyone know where the hell you can change your PW on the site?

I concur. IGN was kinda hit or miss, but I had my game collection up there at one time and stuck my dvd up there too.

[quote name='bardockkun']I'm sorry but IGN is just a joke unless it's for game collections. They have less then half the movies in my collection and they don't even keep tabs on collected editions or re-releases. Also any DVD site that doesn't have Slither in it's database for me is basically dead.

Though I definetly agree on DVDAf having the better search engine. More reason much more prefered in my opinion.[/quote]

Did they ever fix the problem of not being able to add folders? I can deal with the site if the functionality is restored. Otherwise, I am just going to do my own spreadsheet/database in OpenOffice.

DVDAF still has less issues with needing to add titles as far as I can tell. THat's the only reason I want to stick with them.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Did they ever fix the problem of not being able to add folders? I can deal with the site if the functionality is restored. Otherwise, I am just going to do my own spreadsheet/database in OpenOffice.

DVDAF still has less issues with needing to add titles as far as I can tell. THat's the only reason I want to stick with them.[/quote]
If you click on site map you can find the Folder Maintenance button. It's hidden! The site hardly feels like an upgrade though. I hate having only 50 dvds displayed at a time.

Dvdspot looks like a good place to move my collection but it does not seem to have much of an import database. Boo to the thought of moving all my titles and resubmitting imports again.

[quote name='Gara']If you click on site map you can find the Folder Maintenance button. It's hidden! The site hardly feels like an upgrade though. I hate having only 50 dvds displayed at a time.

Dvdspot looks like a good place to move my collection but it does not seem to have much of an import database. Boo to the thought of moving all my titles and resubmitting imports again.[/QUOTE]

If the only reason you guys want to move to DVD spot is because DVD aficionado only displays 50 titles per page now, than your wasting your time. DVD Spot only displays 50 per page as well.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']If the only reason you guys want to move to DVD spot is because DVD aficionado only displays 50 titles per page now, than your wasting your time. DVD Spot only displays 50 per page as well.[/quote]

What do you mean? It's letting me display upwards of 500 or all with the pull down menu.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Ok, so maybe I posted wrong there. When it lists more than 50 it gets rid of the dvd's picture doesnt it?[/quote]

It seems to keep pictures intact. Although I'm kind of used to the view of dvdaf, not sure i like dvdspots yet. All of my testing is done on some random users collection.
http://www.dvdspot.com/list.php?mem...ed&sortby=title&sortdir=up&display=500&page=1

Still gathering the strength needed to actually transfer my collection to them.

ok, yah I just checked. Pics in tact. Could of sworn it only showed the titles if you displayed more than 50. Maybe they upgraded. I still like DVDAficionado more though. I am slowly adding my collection to Listal though.

Anyone use DVD Profiler? I just tried it and it seems kinda nice. It tracks everything down to the store you purchased the disc from and it can export everything to XML.

I agree with those saying it's just too much of a pain to move your collection. I'll stick with DVDAF because my collection is already entered there.

Besides, my main issue with the redesign is you can't add multiple titles at once like you could with the old site. Dunno why they got rid of that function...but it's not TOO big of a deal.

The only "Huge" issue I have with the new DVD Aficionado is that it adds up dvds wrong. Itll say I have 254 anime dvds, but only list 5 pages. 50 on each page. It does that with other subfolders of mine as well.

bread's done
Back