Wii $250 - Nov 19th - The Nintendo 2-Day Press Event Thread!

For everyone that whines about the controller what about a 360 wireless that is 50 new? Its only 10 more bones for a mic, rumble, blah blah blah

[quote name='MrX']For everyone that whines about the controller what about a 360 wireless that is 50 new? Its only 10 more bones for a mic, rumble, blah blah blah[/quote]

I wasn't doing cartwheels paying $50 for an extra 360 controller either, but they definitely include rumble as well. I may have missed something about their being a mic in the Wii controller, but I thought there was just a speaker?

just read through all 42 pages of this, you guys think $250 US is bad? what about converting to canadian, not to mention our sales taxes are higher, 14% in bc, ugh this is so gonna hurt my wallet, well i'll wait for 2007 before i shell out my hard earned cash

[quote name='shipwreck']I wasn't doing cartwheels paying $50 for an extra 360 controller either, but they definitely include rumble as well. I may have missed something about their being a mic in the Wii controller, but I thought there was just a speaker?[/quote]there is also rumble

[quote name='MrX']For everyone that whines about the controller what about a 360 wireless that is 50 new? Its only 10 more bones for a mic, rumble, blah blah blah[/QUOTE]Oh, does the 360 wireless one not have rumble? I'm just wondering; never actually used one before. And PS3 still has no rumble, right?

I guess it does make sense that the controller price is rather beefy, since that's where most of the new technology is really going. And considering how streamlined the thing is, and just how much it does... the price does make sense the more I think about it. But it still kinda caught me off guard.

I was hoping maybe we'd get like $50 controllers (combined) and perhaps a real lowball price on the console ($150 or something, yeah a pipe dream in retrospect) to get more people in the door. But hey, I still plan on being in on day one.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Let's have a coma party where we all induce severe head trauma to each other. [/QUOTE]

Looks like some of you have already started.

Perfect launch date...I have the entire Turkey Day week off work. Plenty of time to spend with my new toy.

It cracks me up that people are complaining about a $250 price tag. When you look at the current cost of ipods, other gaming systems, HD TV's, digital cameras, etc. the price for a new console system at launch, regardless if it's the most high tech one or not, for $250 in 2006 is an absolute STEAL. You whiners may want to think about getting a gig that pays over minimum wage or something if you balk at that price...or you're just in the wrong hobby.

"It's official: Metroid Prime 3 is now a "2007" title."

"Uh-oh. GameCube Twilight Princess now pushed back to December."

"All first-party games and most (if not all) other Wii content will be capable of the 16:9 aspect ratio used by HDTVs, but will not be in high definition."

"Additional Wii remotes will be $39.99, separate from the nunchuk, which will be an additional $19.99."

''NES games will be available for 500 Wii points, Super NES games for 800, and Nintendo 64 for 1,000. Wait, Wii what? Looks like they're taking the same tack as Microsoft: Consumers part with fake money more easily than real money. A 2000 Wii points card can be had at retail for $20."

"But what's in the box? One Wii remote, one nunchuk both included."

"One price, one configuration, one color." So there's only a white one (for now)"

"and it costs ... $249.99! "

"Ships Novemeber 19th. "

Ouch..

No wonder they held off on releasing any info. They kind of pulled a sony.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Oh, does the 360 wireless one not have rumble? I'm just wondering; never actually used one before. And PS3 still has no rumble, right?[/quote]

No, the 360 wireless controller has rumble. That's why I was so confused at his examples.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
No wonder they held off on releasing any info. They kind of pulled a sony.[/QUOTE]

Naw. They'd have to cancel Zelda altogether to do that.

Which they still might do at this point, so I prolly should shut up.

[quote name='lawdood']Perfect launch date...I have the entire Turkey Day week off work. Plenty of time to spend with my new toy.

It cracks me up that people are complaining about a $250 price tag. When you look at the current cost of ipods, other gaming systems, HD TV's, digital cameras, etc. the price for a new console system at launch, regardless if it's the most high tech one or not, for $250 in 2006 is an absolute STEAL. You whiners may want to think about getting a gig that pays over minimum wage or something if you balk at that price...or you're just in the wrong hobby.[/quote]

Well said :applause:

[quote name='lawdood']Perfect launch date...I have the entire Turkey Day week off work. Plenty of time to spend with my new toy.[/QUOTE]

I did that last year with the 360 launch. It was a blur of PGR3, CoD2, PDZ and lots of booze! Good times indeed! Looks like I'm gonna have to this Thanksgiving "Wiik" off as well.

Why complain about the price? Nintendo will absolutely sell every console they can ship between now and the end of the year. Selling it for less would be insane because it wouldn't increase sales. Besides this is a more than fair price for a console, controller and game.

[quote name='shipwreck']I wasn't doing cartwheels paying $50 for an extra 360 controller either, but they definitely include rumble as well. I may have missed something about their being a mic in the Wii controller, but I thought there was just a speaker?[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but I thought speakers could be used as basic microphones

Ok, so if I'm going to get one I'm planning to get:

-Wii console - $249
-Zelda Twilight Princess - $50
-Wii Points Card - $20

What about saving games or are you going to be able to save straight to the console without using a memory device?

Quick thoughts:

$250 is not a steal, but yes it is much cheaper than a PS3 and even a 360. And it comes with a game!

The cost of the 2nd controller set is pretty outrageous. I may wait after the initial system purchase. Who else here is going to buy a Wii w/o another controller?

Having photo-show capabilities w/o DVD is odd IMO--why bother making it more like an entertainment center and yet not support DVD?

Huh, what happened with ZTP for 'Cube?

Sorry if its been mentioned here but this thread is moving too damn fast...

First-party games for Wii will be region-free, according to NoA's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan.

Speaking to Wired News' Joel Johnson, Kaplan confirmed that, like the DS, Wii gamers will be able to play titles from different territories without restriction. Traditionally, games purchased in regions such as Japan, US and Europe have only been playable on native home consoles. The news is likely to be welcomed by import fans, eager to get their hands on games as close to initial release as possible - however, Kaplan also suggested that region-locking on third-party games would be left up to individual publishers. Currently, it's unclear how Nintendo's region-free policy will affect the playback of existing GameCube titles, which are fully compatible with the Wii.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732748p1.html

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I could be wrong but I thought speakers could be used as basic microphones[/quote]

They can, but you can't have it both ways. Otherwise all the "mic" would pick up would be whatever was coming out of the speaker.

[quote name='gunm']Quick thoughts:

$250 is not a steal, but yes it is much cheaper than a PS3 and even a 360. And it comes with a game!

The cost of the 2nd controller set is pretty outrageous. I may wait after the initial system purchase. Who else here is going to buy a Wii w/o another controller?

Having photo-show capabilities w/o DVD is odd IMO--why bother making it more like an entertainment center and yet not support DVD?

Huh, what happened with ZTP for 'Cube?[/quote]
That's because the 360 and PS3 are next generation consoles, the Wii is a souped up GameCube with a gimmick controller.

[quote name='Strell']Naw. They'd have to cancel Zelda altogether to do that.

Which they still might do at this point, so I prolly should shut up.[/QUOTE]

I still have this sneaking suspicion that Twilight Princess Gamecube gets cancelled. How is the version that supposed to have been in production LONGER get delayed? Its already bad enough that its delayed but if it gets altogether cancelled then I will have lost all faith in Nintendo and I won't be looking at the Wii for a long time (if at all).

Edit- Wait a second, a FULL extra controller is $60 !?!?!? I thought the 360's $50 was bad enough but $60?!?!? Eff this, I'm sticking to just the 360 this gen. Unfreakinbelievable...

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']That's because the Wii every EA game is
a souped up GameCube rehash with a gimmick controller. updated rosters.[/QUOTE]

You are too predictable, Gordira.

[quote name='Strell']You are too predictable, Gordira.[/quote]
Except for that NHL 07 game that just came out YESTERDAY that is completely different than any other hockey game ever made. Find something new to counter my opinions next time, your old ass "EA doesn't innovate" garbage was stale back in 2003. I also find it funny that one of the most INNOVATIVE games shown for the Wii? MADDEN NFL 2007 FROM EA! OH, THE IRONY OF IT ALL.

God your a dumbass.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I still have this sneaking suspicion that Twilight Princess Gamecube gets cancelled. How is the version that supposed to have been in production LONGER get delayed? Its already bad enough that its delayed but if it gets altogether cancelled then I will have lost all faith in Nintendo and I won't be looking at the Wii for a long time (if at all).

Edit- Wait a second, a FULL extra controller is $60 !?!?!? I thought the 360's $50 was bad enough but $60?!?!? Eff this, I'm sticking to just the 360 this gen. Unfreakinbelievable...[/quote]
It could be cancelled, but my guess is they push it back to give the Wii version some exclusivity. Get more people to buy the Wii for Zelda.

Any news on the WiFi stuff? Will they just use the DS's WiFi specs? Or will it support 802.11 a/g and WPA encryption?

After today's Wii-mote fiasco, it wouldn't surprise me if Ninty just slaps the DS's compnents in the Wii

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Except for that NHL 07 game that just came out YESTERDAY that is completely different than any other hockey game ever made. Find something new to counter my opinions next time, your old ass "EA doesn't innovate" garbage was stale back in 2003. I also find it funny that one of the most INNOVATIVE games shown for the Wii? MADDEN NFL 2007 FROM EA! OH, THE IRONY OF IT ALL.

God your a dumbass.[/quote]
So wait, Madden on Wii is innovative or it's gimmicky? The confusion!

[quote name='the3rdkey']Seriously, the Wii is making me so excited. I feel like a little kid again.[/quote]Good, because Nintendo seriously needs that 10 year old kid demographic. That, and the 80 year old grandmother. Because, you know, those 2 demographics have so much disposable income. I can't wait to go over to granny's house and play her Wii, while she goes into diabetic shock as she spent all her meds money on Wii games :roll:

[quote name='mykevermin']Food Network and QVC?[/QUOTE]

Good Eats on my Wii?

fuck yes.

Giada de Laurentis on my Wii?

fucking yes.

Alton Brown on my Wii?

Even fucking more yes FTW.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Except for that NHL 07 game that just came out YESTERDAY that is completely different than any other hockey game ever made. Find something new to counter my opinions next time, your old ass "EA doesn't innovate" garbage was stale back in 2003. I also find it funny that one of the most INNOVATIVE games shown for the Wii? MADDEN NFL 2007 FROM EA! OH, THE IRONY OF IT ALL.

God your a dumbass.[/QUOTE]

u cant have it both ways, you cant say that Wii is just a gimmick and then say that EA innovates with a game on the Wii. If a system has bad graphic the game with the best graphics on the system is still best of the bad graphics. So either Wii innovates and Madden goes along for the ride, or the Wii is gimmicky and so is madden.

[quote name='mykevermin']Food Network and QVC?[/QUOTE]

Disk Drive Channel
Go here to start up Wii and GameCube games.

Picture Channel
Access the pictures that are stored away on your SD Memory Card. The Wiimote is used to shrink and enarge pictures by moving the controller away and towards the screen. You also have access to image modification tools including paint brushes and paint buckets, and can view your images as a slide show.

Internet Channel
Go here to access the Opera internet browser. In addition to supporting flash (making this a step up from the DS browser), the browser uses the Wiimote to zoom in and out. The browser will normally cost money, but Nintendo will make it available for free download until June of 2006.

Weather Channel
This free weather service requires an internet connection. In addition to daily weather based on region, you also have access to a weekly forecast. The service gives you a view of the Earth, which you can rotate to access different regions.

News Channel
The latest news is automatically updated and viewable through this free service, which also requires an internet connection. The new channel is said to have "functions indicative of a game machine." Users can also change the font size for easy viewing.

In this channel, you create your own avatar, which is referred to as a "Mii." Your Mii is used in Wii games (as in Wii Sports) and can be transferred to your Wiimote and used on other Wii consoles. Nintendo chief software producer Shigeru Miyamoto commented at Nintendo's Japanese Wii press conference that this is a feature he's always wanted to have.

You'll also find channels for launching Virtual Console aps on the Famicom, Super Famicom and Nintendo 64. The interface also seems to allow players to assign shortcuts to Virtual Console titles, although specifics on how Nintendo will be organizing all the games players will potentially have stored on their SD cards are not known.

In addition to the individual channels, the Wii Channel interface gives you access to a message board, used for exchanging messages with your family members. Nintendo considers this similar to posting a memo on a refrigerator. In addition to writing text, you can also include images from your SD card in the body of messages. The message board service also gives access to the internet via WiConnect24, allowing those with whom you've exchanged friend codes to see your memos.

You might even see memos created by games like Animal Crossing...

[quote name='Strell']Good Eats on my Wii?

fuck yes.

Giada de Laurentis on my Wii?

fucking yes.

Alton Brown on my Wii?

Even fucking more yes FTW.[/QUOTE]

I'll half agree with you, if only because "fuck Yes"es #1 and #3 are the same thing. While I can apprecaite if you like her cooking, I don't want that Living Italian Natalie Portman Bobblehead anywhere near my Wii.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']u cant have it both ways, you cant say that Wii is just a gimmick and then say that EA innovates with a game on the Wii. If a system has bad graphic the game with the best graphics on the system is still best of the bad graphics. So either Wii innovates and Madden goes along for the ride, or the Wii is gimmicky and so is madden.[/QUOTE]

I demand evanft show up and produce the "exploding head from Scanners" gif now!

It was a joke. I actually don't care for her.

Bobblehead is perfect description. Her head dwarfs her body at a scary ratio.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']u cant have it both ways, you cant say that Wii is just a gimmick and then say that EA innovates with a game on the Wii. If a system has bad graphic the game with the best graphics on the system is still best of the bad graphics. So either Wii innovates and Madden goes along for the ride, or the Wii is gimmicky and so is madden.[/quote]
I was speaking from the Nintendboy's point of view when saying Madden on Wii is innovative, because those people think ANY game that uses the Wiimote is so much more innovative and fun than anything else on other consoles. I think it's a gimmick myself, but others see it differently. I just find it funny how Nintendo can make a game where you use the remote to poke at a switch to open a door, and nothing else, and Nintendo apologists will label it a groundbreaking innovation, while EA could put out a game where the remote does 100 different things, and they just dismiss it for some reason. It's called a Double Standard, and certain Nintendo fans are very fond of them.

Here's my honest dilemma.

The 50 isn't much, but it damn well is enough to annoy me.

And it especially annoys me when I consider that, with that same fifty, I could be supporting games and developers that I think need the support.

Cases in point: Okami and Contact.

Originally I budgeted everything out to include a Wii, Zelda, Okami, Contact, and Megaman ZX. Now I've got to drop one of those, and since I'm dead set on a Wii and I already got MMZX, that leaves Zelda, Okami, and Contact.

There's no fucking way I'm not getting Zelda. It looks like hot, hawt shit. (I still think it's ironic that a 3 year old originally-GC game absolutely pwns everything else on the Wii in the graphics department.)

So it's down to one of those two.

The problem is that I like to give support where I think it is needed. I'm no philanthropist, and there's no goddamn way I can be for a while, so it's a pick and choose sort of thing, and it does feel good to think I'm supporting a smaller company who is trying to get something a little different out there (and managed to do so). I want companies that make things like Okami and Contact to know there's support for their stuff out there - that I want them to understand there's a subset of the gaming community that wants artistic/odd titles. Otherwise there'd be no We

[quote name='Strell']

Alton Brown on my Wii?

Even fucking more yes FTW.[/quote]

The Bob Ross instructional game could really pave the way for something like that.

You were talking about the cooking games earlier...

A Good Eats game could be sexy good time.

I can't believe this. Nintendo touted this system as a way to get everyone together playing video games together.

Well that's great but now that capability is gonna cost us an extra $180?!?!

I easily think that's the worst news out of this launch.

Well I suppose there's this:

"All first-party games and most (if not all) other Wii content will be capable of the 16:9 aspect ratio used by HDTVs, but will not be in high definition."

So 3rd party games, which are usually multiplatform anyway, won't be HD?
EXCELLENT

Wait a second, am I intrepreting this correct? Does the system not include the classic controller? Wonder how much that's gonna cost extra then?

Ehh.. I was really excited for this, but now I'm just bummed. Now way is it worth $250, it's really is a souped up Gamecube. Most games won't even be in widescreen, and even then it's not going to be high-def, if developers decided to implement their games in ED it at all. Since Nintendo's not pushing it I'm sure most won't included it once they realize that can get away with shitty 4:3 standard def. Also, now that the hype has died down for me, I can easily see the controller is really nothing revolutionary, and actually looks like it's going to be annoying over time.

I just played Oblivion on my 360 last night, and I can never see myself having an experience like that on the Wii(still a horrible name by the way), and I don't want to always play a bunch of games like Wii Sports, and shit like that. Plus, you have to pay to use the web browser, wtf? If I do pick this up at launch it'll be purely for Zelda.

Quick question, is the Wii shipping with componet cables, or the crappy yellow, white, and red ones that look like ass on my HDTVs?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wait a second, am I intrepreting this correct? Does the system not include the classic controller? Wonder how much that's gonna cost extra then?[/QUOTE]

It's speculated to be $20.

Thinking about that, it's actually not a bad deal. It hooks onto the Wiimote and thus is wireless.

So it's like getting a Wavebird for fifteen bucks cheaper.

'Course, I'd rather hear I can just use a GC controller for all of that classicness. It would be an underhanded trick for me to not be able to do that.

Which means I'm out (more than likely) another fucking twenty bucks. :(

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Wait a second, am I intrepreting this correct? Does the system not include the classic controller? Wonder how much that's gonna cost extra then?[/quote]

If the pricing is anything like that Japanese Wii, the classic controller should only be 19.99. And if they market the same way, you buy 2000 Wii points for the VC, you get a classic controller free.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Wait a second, am I intrepreting this correct? Does the system not include the classic controller? Wonder how much that's gonna cost extra then?[/QUOTE]

It should be about $20 based on what I have seen.

[quote name='Strell']It's speculated to be $20.

Thinking about that, it's actually not a bad deal. It hooks onto the Wiimote and thus is wireless.

So it's like getting a Wavebird for fifteen bucks cheaper.

'Course, I'd rather hear I can just use a GC controller for all of that classicness. It would be an underhanded trick for me to not be able to do that.

Which means I'm out (more than likely) another fucking twenty bucks. :([/quote]

Just think of how much money you'll save using the Gamer Gift Card since you're going to have to buy so many accessories! The savings will pile up!

[quote name='musicnoteless']If the pricing is anything like that Japanese Wii, the classic controller should only be 19.99. And if they market the same way, you buy 2000 Wii points for the VC, you get a classic controller free.[/QUOTE]

See, now this idea is good. Almost too good for Nintendo to actually use at this point.

Thank you Nintendo for putting your fist up the collective ass of North America.

Force us to buy your Wii sports that'll be fun for all of 10 minutes, really appreciate that.

[quote name='shipwreck']Just think of how much money you'll save using the Gamer Gift Card since you're going to have to buy so many accessories! The savings will pile up![/QUOTE]

Except my motherfucking BB doesn't have any.

Roufuss said he'd get me some. Now I'm going to hold that fucker to it. :)

[quote name='shipwreck']Just think of how much money you'll save using the Gamer Gift Card since you're going to have to buy so many accessories! The savings will pile up![/quote]

holy fuck. I didn't think of that. I was so set on getting a Wii launch day that i totally forgot you can use the GGC. Time to stock up.

wiimote:34.99
nunchaku: 14.99
Zelda: 44.99
Trauma Center: 44.99
total: 139.96
savings: $20 towards VC

Either way, Nintendo Wins.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Man, Nintendo really screwed the pooch on this one. You guys are having a fucking mutiny.[/QUOTE]

I honestly can't think of any good news from this press conference. It was pretty much all bad news for me personally. I suppose there's the fact that now I've saved money for this fall because I was on the fence before about buying the Wii but not anymore.

bread's done
Back