Wii U - General Discussion Thread

I would be shocked if Nintendo doesn't push some deals out there so that they can take advantage of the opportunity.
Generally, the console manufacturers don't have their own sales or specials for Black Friday. The price reduction that we've already seen from Nintendo this year is the only one we're going to see.

That said, there will almost certainly be deals for the Wii U on black Friday. They are just going to be coming from the retail and online stores, not from the manufacturer. Gift cards, or even straight-up sale prices are entirely possible. (and even likely) This close to November, I can't honestly say that prospective buyers shouldn't wait to see what will be available.

Generally, the console manufacturers don't have their own sales or specials for Black Friday. The price reduction that we've already seen from Nintendo this year is the only one we're going to see.

That said, there will almost certainly be deals for the Wii U on black Friday. They are just going to be coming from the retail and online stores, not from the manufacturer. Gift cards, or even straight-up sale prices are entirely possible. (and even likely) This close to November, I can't honestly say that prospective buyers shouldn't wait to see what will be available.
For the past few years, Sony has made special bundles of their consoles for Black Friday that are really good deals ($200 for a PS3 with a few games and a big hard drive).

Yes, but those aren't price drops, they're just bundles, and the console manufacturers have been doing that for their systems year-round. Special game bundles happen close to black Friday, but aren't necessarily particular to that event. And Nintendo themselves don't usually participate in that sort of practice. They also already have the Zelda bundle on shelves, and that's going to be one of the Wii U's big bundles for the year.

So Nintendo customer support finally got back to me today (a week later) about my bad Pikmin 3 game. They said they don't have enough information and I'll have to call them while near my system. What BS - I reported the exact error that comes up when inserting the disc. There is no possible "troubleshooting" that is going to do anything other than waste my time.

Not too impressed with them - at the very least they could have given me that non-answer a little more quickly.

Yes, but those aren't price drops, they're just bundles, and the console manufacturers have been doing that for their systems year-round. Special game bundles happen close to black Friday, but aren't necessarily particular to that event. And Nintendo themselves don't usually participate in that sort of practice. They also already have the Zelda bundle on shelves, and that's going to be one of the Wii U's big bundles for the year.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/16/exclusive-black-friday-deals-for-ps3-and-ps-vita/

They are Black Friday-specific since they're released for that weekend with a limited supply to last for a short time. I would call them sales since they're much cheaper than the MSRP for just the system with quite a bit more included than you'd normally get.

The Black Friday deal I've heard going around is a Wii U with NSMBU+NSLU bundled in.  Possibly in an additional color.  It still doesn't hold a candle to Japan's NSMBU/NSLU/Wii Fit U/Wii U Karaoke all-in-one bundles though.

IO, that really sucks about Nintendo's customer service giving you shit.  I'd give them an earful if/when you call back.  Plus, the game should still be under their 90-day warranty that comes with every game.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/16/exclusive-black-friday-deals-for-ps3-and-ps-vita/

They are Black Friday-specific since they're released for that weekend with a limited supply to last for a short time.
I stand corrected. Sony at least has engaged in such black Friday-specific bundles. And with the recent European bundle announcements, it's entirely possible that Nintendo may have something similar prepared for black Friday in the U.S. It makes a certain degree of sense. The game-less white Wii U bundle sold a lot less than the Mario pack-in bundle. And bundling software with the system is a lot cheaper for Nintendo.

Seriously, these third-parties have just wanted the Wii U to fail from the start, fuck you:

Fri, Oct 11, 2013 | 03:00 BST

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut more expensive on Wii U in the US – report
Possibly because it’s the first time the game has released on the console, as opposed to a re-release, the Wii U version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution seems to be more expensive than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions in North America.

20131011_deus_ex_human_revolution_directors_cut.jpg

The news doesn’t come from Square Enix, but Nintendo Everything checked a number of US retailers and found the Wii U version going for about $50, while the other console versions were priced at around $30.

Meanwhile, Destructoid found that UK retailers priced all versions fairly similarly, with the Wii U version a little cheaper.

All three console versions have second-screen features (via SmartGlass and Vita for Xbox 360 and PS3) so there’s little difference between them.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut arrives on Mac, PC, PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360 before the end of the month. You can check out what’s new in the Director’s Cut in this handy trailer.

Thanks, CyberMarco.

Wii U hardware sales see 685% rise in the UK thanks to Zelda: Wind Waker HD
October 11th, 2013 Posted in News, Wii U | 1 Comment

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD has contributed to a large Wii U sales increase in the UK. Last week, sales of the system rose by 685 percent, Nintendo says.

Nintendo UK head of consumer marketing James Honeywell told MCV:

“We have long believed that software sells hardware and it’s great to see that reaffirmed this week with an uplift of Wii U hardware sales to coincide with the launch of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.”

Nintendo did not dish out any specifics on the console’s sales, but that percentage is nonetheless encouraging.

Source

Has anyone had any experience with a wireless Wii U sensor bar? Any suggestions on brands?

Also, I read somewhere that the hard clear case for the gamepad makes it so you can't charge it in the cradle.Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
So.....I made the leap! I had a couple hundred bucks worth of BBY gift cards from gifts/trade ins and got the manager at BBY to match this bundle from Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Wii-U-Solution-Bundle-w-Customer-Choice-Wii-U-Game-Accessory-40-Value/21803986

The manager didn't even check which game I had brought him to the Walmart list. If I would have known that, I would have gotten a game not on the list, maybe Wonderful 101, Pikmin, or Splinter Cell. Oh well, can't complain with the deal I got. Even got an actual Wiimote and not the off brand that Walmart was offering. Was very pleased with my purchase.

They're not even getting out previous Wii Virtual Console games at a decent rate, so I don't see them adding more complex games anytime soon. N64 isn't even supported yet, right? They're kind of just fucking around with NES and SNES games for the time being while they should be trying to build that library up quickly.

I can't thing of any N64 games on VC and doubt they'd start pushing out GC games anytime soon. I don't see why they don't publish more of either catalogs. That's an easy way to get people to get into the digital marketplace and more Wii U consoles would be sold if people can play their favorite games from their youths. Nostalgia is a crazy strong emotion.

I think Nintendo will go the HD remake route before the virtual console route for Gamecube games.

Nobody's going to go out of their way to buy a Wii U for non-Nintendo Gamecube virtual console games and re-releasing bigger first party titles like Sunshine, Twilight Princess, or Metroid Prime will gain more attention and sales by going the HD retail disk route. 

If anything we might see some third party games that have already been released on the 360 and PS3 (RE4, Sonic Adventure games, etc).

I stand corrected. Sony at least has engaged in such black Friday-specific bundles. And with the recent European bundle announcements, it's entirely possible that Nintendo may have something similar prepared for black Friday in the U.S. It makes a certain degree of sense. The game-less white Wii U bundle sold a lot less than the Mario pack-in bundle. And bundling software with the system is a lot cheaper for Nintendo.
All the manufacturers did it and the prices were the same at all stores for these bundles. That's not to say some random store couldn't sweeten the pot if they wanted to. Usually regular sale prices are special promo's for individual games involve the stores splitting the cost cutting with the game's publisher.

You guys seen this? Anyone that bought the Wind Waker bundle is probably pretty annoyed right now. Free game and $10 less than you paid.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-wii-u-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-and-scribblenauts-unmasked/9999212600050000.p?id=pcmprd211500050000&skuId=9999212600050000

That's basically save $20 off of scribblenauts. The wind waker bundle was $299.99 not $349.99
Yeah, seriously, after all that discussion we had about how BlasterMan would only "win" his bet if there was more than another $50 off I'm surprised he missed this. That was sort of the point which maybe explains why we were talking past each other back then. The Wii U Deluxe is $300 now (with either Wind Waker or NintendoLand). We might see another $50 off or more likely another game thrown in on Black Friday. No way is there going to be 2 more games thrown in or $100 (more) off.

I think Nintendo will go the HD remake route before the virtual console route for Gamecube games.

Nobody's going to go out of their way to buy a Wii U for non-Nintendo Gamecube virtual console games and re-releasing bigger first party titles like Sunshine, Twilight Princess, or Metroid Prime will gain more attention and sales by going the HD retail disk route.

If anything we might see some third party games that have already been released on the 360 and PS3 (RE4, Sonic Adventure games, etc).
If the remakes look as nice as Wind Waker HD, I think I can fully support that approach, depsite my own wish for $15-20 Gamecube Virtual Console.

Speaking of Gamecube remakes, where is Pac-Man Vs, that game would work wonderfully on the Wii U.

This is why my interest in the WIIU is virtually nil. I can't let go of the old games, and I resent being forced to buy uprezzed titles if I want them on my current system. I'll just stick to the Wii so long as it holds out.

The VC is such a blown opportunity for me as a consumer. I can see that it's not as attractive to Nintendo, hence the 3DS and now WIIU re-releases. It's just a bummer, I'm not fond of keeping old systems around but it's the only option. An all-in-one system for all my Nintendo needs isn't in their best interests, I get it.

This is why my interest in the WIIU is virtually nil. I can't let go of the old games, and I resent being forced to buy uprezzed titles if I want them on my current system. I'll just stick to the Wii so long as it holds out.

The VC is such a blown opportunity for me as a consumer. I can see that it's not as attractive to Nintendo, hence the 3DS and now WIIU re-releases. It's just a bummer, I'm not fond of keeping old systems around but it's the only option. An all-in-one system for all my Nintendo needs isn't in their best interests, I get it.
The same can be said for Sony and Microsoft as well no?

The same can be said for Sony and Microsoft as well no?

Or almost every game console ever. The only one that has supported more than one generation of games was the launch PS3. Sounds like someone's just making excuses.

I really appreciate Nintendo's approach to their remade classics.

If you ever played OOT on the 3DS, they did an amazing job refreshing the game to look like the original concept art and several other tweaks with the touchpad help give the game new life.  

Wind Waker looks fantastic in HD and the added enhancements with the new sailing tools and hard mode are really appreciated. 

I would love to see them give Sunshine or Twilight Princess the same kind of treatment rather than an simple port on the virtual console (something I would probably never buy).

3D games don't age nearly as well as 2D games.  I hope Nintendo stems off the Wind Waker HD release with more HD remakes. 

gamestop_black_friday-9.jpg

So for less than a PS4 ($400) you can get the System, Swapforce, Scribblenauts and Rayman. Holy shit that's good.

I'm pretty sure you're reading the ad wrong. Scribblenauts Unmasked is the only one in that row that is $24.99. Mario and Zelda are full price.

Wii U: $299

PS4: $399

Xbox One: $499

I'm eagerly awaiting the Black Friday sales to see what, if anything, retailers are going to offer to get people to buy one over the other.

You're gonna be sorely disappointed then

Yeah, PS4 will have been out for 2 weeks and X1 for 1 week. There won't be any deals on those. Maybe he meant next Black Friday ;).

With the Wii U, I think the Zelda bundle/price drop is already the "deal" for this Fall. Though perhaps the older deluxe model will have something thrown in or maybe a gift card for BF. I could see that.
And with Gamestop's ad, they prove my point.

Two Wii U bundles at $299: One with Nintendo Land and one with Skylanders AND a gift card?? That's pretty good. Even better if you need toys and a backpack. :p

On another page, they show a year of Playstation Plus for $30. That's definitely going to influence people to buy a PS4. That's better than the $15 3 month XBL cards which were also advertised.

Of course I didn't expect an actual sale on the consoles themselves. But I knew they would do some kind of add on or deep discount on something to make up for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Target does a "$10 gift card with $100 purchase or more" like they did during the last Black Friday.

That's basically save $20 off of scribblenauts. The wind waker bundle was $299.99 not $349.99
Oh yeah I forgot.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-sales-rise-200-percent-after-price-cut/1100-6415641/

So apparently sales in the US tripped from August to September. However, this article doesn't give August's numbers and I couldn't find them anywhere. I believe July was around 55k and August would have fallen a bit so if we assume 50k sales in August, then the Wii U sold 150k consoles in September in the US. It could hit 5.5 million by the end of this year depending on Christmas sales. If every store is MSRP like GameStop on Black Friday then I'm not sure it will get 5.5 though.

Cage017 said:

Two Wii U bundles at $299: One with Nintendo Land and one with Skylanders AND a gift card?? That's pretty good. Even better if you need toys and a backpack. :p
I'm not sure what your point is (or was). But those Wii U bundles are a bit odd given the difference in value between them. I'm assuming the NintendoLand "bundle" is just the current (and original) now $299.99 MSRP deluxe bundle. It is pretty weak that they aren't offering anything with that. On the other hand. the Skylanders bundle is a great deal - a $75 game packed in, plus a $25 gift card, plus the backpack.

OK, I guess you can get the new Scribblenauts for $25 with any system so there is that.

I also noted that Rayman is $25 which points to that being on sale for about that price at multiple places no doubt (since all the BF ads tend to have similar deals). What, you say? A Ubisoft game for less than half price within months of release!? I'm shocked and stunned!

That ad is a litany of confusion and it is incredibly shady to put the prices all helter skelter like that.

But that said, SwapForce Bundle!!!  If I didn't already own the WWHD bundle, I'd get that, it's quite a value, considering there's over $75 MSRP worth of stuff in there.

Good point.  I didn't see the "8GB" description.  I guess now we know what Nintendo did with all those unsold Basics.  :p

Now we have to Buyer Beware all the Wii U bundles that are going to be pushed next month to make sure it's not the gimped version...

Deader2818 said:
Keep in mind the SwapForce bundle appears to be the Wii U basic and not the deluxe.
Oh, damn, didn't see that. Sneaky, but probably effective for the holidays.

Oh great you sure showed me! fucking skylanders bundle woohoo!. And yet that ps3 deal destroys it by a mile.

On another page, they show a year of Playstation Plus for $30. That's definitely going to influence people to buy a PS4. That's better than the $15 3 month XBL cards which were also advertised.

Of course I didn't expect an actual sale on the consoles themselves. But I knew they would do some kind of add on or deep discount on something to make up for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Target does a "$10 gift card with $100 purchase or more" like they did during the last Black Friday.

It's probably worth it for me to get the basic edition with skylanders listed here because I want skylanders and I found the gamepad cradle for $2 at Sears. Storage is easy to add and cheap plus i have an old powered external drive here that could be used without any additional cost to me. I don't plan on making use of the digital deluxe promo so that is moot to me. The thing is that bundle is about $50 more than I want to pay for this thing and I will never be able to get one at GS since I am not going out to any store on BF and there is no way the stock at GS will last long enough as the GS stores have lines out the door here and can barely hold the amount of customers they get. Hopefully another retailer will have this bundle for sale online at a discount.

And for less than a PS4 ($400), you get a console that falls way short in almost every category, compared to the PS4; not really that good at all, sadly.

Yeah, totally. With launch titles like Watchdog and Drive Club the PS4 is clearly the better BF investment.

o wait

bread's done
Back