XBLA - Magic: The Gathering - 800pts

Where's everyone at in the rankings? I'm 900 something out of 20,000 players in ranked two-player matches with a TruSkill score of 23.

What decks are people using in multiplayer? Haven't ventured online yet because I feel like I need to unlock more cards first.

I'm on my second run through the campaign so I can unlock cards, and it seems like every game one of two things happen: 1 - I pick an initial hand with a lot of mana (4-5) and then almost every time I draw I get more mana so I get destroyed since I have no creatures, or 2 - I pick an initial hand with low mana (1-2) but lots of good creatures, and then I hardly ever get mana on the draws, so I get destroyed since I can barely play anything. Does this happen to anyone else?

[quote name='NeoFrank1']I'm on my second run through the campaign so I can unlock cards, and it seems like every game one of two things happen: 1 - I pick an initial hand with a lot of mana (4-5) and then almost every time I draw I get more mana so I get destroyed since I have no creatures, or 2 - I pick an initial hand with low mana (1-2) but lots of good creatures, and then I hardly ever get mana on the draws, so I get destroyed since I can barely play anything. Does this happen to anyone else?[/QUOTE]

ALL the time! I feel like my xbox needs shuffling lessons.

I'm like 12-6 or so in two-player matches with the fully unlocked green deck (although I left two of the unlocked cards out of my deck.) I would say the top 3 decks played of the 8 would be in any order: green, green/black elf, black.

I'm 546th out of the 20K plus in two-player worldwide after some games tonight. Pretty good considering I never played Magic before! (Did play VS. System in real life for 5 years and it was designed by former Magic people.)

Is anyone else having a lot of bugs and crashes with the latest update? I've already had my game freeze in 4 player matches, cards become frozen on the screen when I zoom in (so I can't see what's going on behind it), etc.

~HotShotX

I didn't think I would want to get this seeing how you cant really do much to the deck you have. However after playing the demo I want to download this now. So it looks like I will be picking up a points card here in the next week or so. Would have been nice if in the demo they gave you 2 games and not just the one.

As for bugs in the demo at one point all it would let me to is play giant growth. I wasn't even given the option not to use it. It was not in the part telling me how to play so I should have had an option to play it or not.

EDIT: Just saw you do get 2 games. The second game all really pissed me off. All they played was flying cards in all 3 times I played against them. I think green decks only have one card to defend against flying in them. Atleast it seems like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']I'm like 12-6 or so in two-player matches with the fully unlocked green deck (although I left two of the unlocked cards out of my deck.) I would say the top 3 decks played of the 8 would be in any order: green, green/black elf, black.

I'm 546th out of the 20K plus in two-player worldwide after some games tonight. Pretty good considering I never played Magic before! (Did play VS. System in real life for 5 years and it was designed by former Magic people.)[/QUOTE]

The green deck isn't that great. It doesn't have any (or hardly, besides Vigor) technical cards. It only has one card to block flying and it's not that great. It also doesn't have any cards to instantly kill a target creature or damage an opponent directly.

I'd say:

1. Black
2. Black/Green
3. Blue

[quote name='ninju D']ALL the time! I feel like my xbox needs shuffling lessons.[/QUOTE]

I'm really starting to think the computer is cheating. Out of the last 20 or so hands, one of those 2 situations I mentioned occurred 15 times. That's 75% shitty luck which is pretty suspicious.

Yeah...not a fan of this game. I can;t complete the first challenge because I only get 1-2 Mana and nothing for the next ten rounds. I played Magic for 8 years and can't beat the first fucking level. Grr.

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']Anywhere I can preview the MTG themes? Or any of the premium themes for that matter?[/QUOTE]

Yea a guy has a few videos on youtube showing them off. I personally just used a Magic the Gathering wallpaper I downloaded from their site as my background. I think the Blue Premium Theme is the nicest looking though.

http://forums.xbox.com/27801081/ShowPost.aspx

Gizmo, I had to play the first level 5 times before beating it and I had played Magic before as well. Once you get over that first hump I think its easier imo.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yeah...not a fan of this game. I can;t complete the first challenge because I only get 1-2 Mana and nothing for the next ten rounds. I played Magic for 8 years and can't beat the first fucking level. Grr.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the campaign?

Thought all the challenges were just giving you a situation where you had to win that turn.

I played magic for about a year 8 years ago and can not get past Elspeth Tirel. All I have is the green deck and the red deck. I want to beat this game with every deck to unlock all cards so tips with all decks for here would be really nice.

[quote name='zewone']The green deck isn't that great. It doesn't have any (or hardly, besides Vigor) technical cards. It only has one card to block flying and it's not that great. It also doesn't have any cards to instantly kill a target creature or damage an opponent directly.

I'd say:

1. Black
2. Black/Green
3. Blue[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wasn't saying it was the best deck, someone asked what were the most used decks online. I've just used green because I've beat the single player with it, and I need to do it with the other decks now.

The Black and Black/Green decks are definately the best two. Third place is debatable.

[quote name='sendme']I played magic for about a year 8 years ago and can not get past Elspeth Tirel. All I have is the green deck and the red deck. I want to beat this game with every deck to unlock all cards so tips with all decks for here would be really nice.[/QUOTE]

I beat her with the green deck.

Easiest way is to use Blanchwood Armor on Troll Ascetic. Her deck has no answer for a 10/9 regenerating creature that can't be the target of opponents spells or abilities.

Other stuff

Try to bait her into using Pacifism early in the match. You want to be able to use Giant Spider for defense against fliers. If she use Angelic Blessing on a Youthful Knight (or another creature) early on, just take the 4 or 5 damage and move on

Don't waste blanchwood armors or overruns. Overruns = Win Game.... Usually, unfortunately the bitch has the one many cost spell Holy Day. So try to use Overrun when she won't play Holy Day.

Giant Growth is going to be your makeshift creature removal spell.

Don't worry about exchanging creature-for-creature early on.

Yea I have to say the Elf deck can kick some series tail and that's where I'm at right now. I haven't been sticking with the same deck so actually looking forward in running through the campaign multiple times with different decks to unlock more cards.
Oh...
My Magic the Gathering Homemade (Free^^) Theme.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I beat her with the green deck.

Easiest way is to use Blanchwood Armor on Troll Ascetic. Her deck has no answer for a 10/9 regenerating creature that can't be the target of opponents spells or abilities.

Other stuff

Try to bait her into using Pacifism early in the match. You want to be able to use Giant Spider for defense against fliers. If she use Angelic Blessing on a Youthful Knight (or another creature) early on, just take the 4 or 5 damage and move on

Don't waste blanchwood armors or overruns. Overruns = Win Game.... Usually, unfortunately the bitch has the one many cost spell Holy Day. So try to use Overrun when she won't play Holy Day.

Giant Growth is going to be your makeshift creature removal spell.

Don't worry about exchanging creature-for-creature early on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will give that a try. I think I'm at the match where you get the black deck when you win now with my red deck. Once I beat her I didn't really have much issue with the next ones. I have got to the point that if I don't get a good hand by the time I have 10 life left I just quit. I don't see a comback at all I know you can come back form just one life and they have 20 but when I have nothing but lands out I dont' see a win happening.

I played a game online last night and I have read how people quit all the time. Well I was about to get a win and next thing I know they were gone. They were using the green deck and I was using the red deck.

Also I'm going to guess Mage is the easy setting when it comes to the AI. Even at that setting it seems like the AI gets what they need when they need it.

The too much mana/too many creatures pendulum really showed up how this model is dated today IMO. Free Realms TCG has resources cards - or you use any other card face down, so the game progresses. Apparently WoW TCG does a similiar thing, though I know nothing about theirs. I just do virtual TCGs since MtG back in the day...

You might give Free Realms a try, it has a lot of what I like about Magic, while avoiding a fair bit of what I don't like about it, too. And hey, free to try, WITH a deck builder. You will need to quest for more cards tho in that world, but I don't think that's such a bad thing. Another thing that surprised me about Free Realms was it had some table-top games that were Tower Defense - bonus :)

-> Free Realms is Sony MMO for PC, small-ish install, and a fair bit is in fact, free

If I was to still be into CCGs I would check that out. Hell I still might. Only downloaded this because I used to play it in high school. It is a big issue with getting nothing but lands or geting nothing but spells in your hand. The draw system is crap in this game. I ended up playing a game where I had just one land in hand and every thing needed 3 land to play. When I had 8 cards in hand I just quit playing. Went online and the same thing happend only I just played and let them beat me. I didn't want to be like others that drop when they are about to lose. I had someone do that to me last night when I was just playing around with the green deck. I almost wish I never bought this game. It has its times when it is fun and not just when I'm winning but when I'm losing it is fun to but other times it is not fun at all.

[quote name='CKaz']The too much mana/too many creatures pendulum really showed up how this model is dated today IMO.[/QUOTE]
The system works fine when you're allowed to actually edit your deck.

Crappy initial draws happens in real magic all the time. At least this game allows you to redraw your hand until you get a decent set of cards. Hell, the first time you redraw you don't even have to sacrifice a card.

I don't know if these are official rules or not but way back 10 or so years ago when I played you could only mulligan if you drew a hand with no basic lands whatsoever. And even then you were penalized for it - you redrew a hand with 1 less card and you lost your first turn advantage if you had it.

If it bothers people so much you can even just restart the game if you're playing against the AI. I'm not ashamed to admit I did a few times during the co-op campaign against the final boss until I got the first turn.

Hell in campaign I restart all the time. hell if they still have 20 health and I'm down to 10 or some times 15 I will restart depending on my hand and what is in play. I don't really think it is the bad hands rather the AI's lucky draws. For me they seem to have what they need when they need it.

[quote name='davyd']Crappy initial draws happens in real magic all the time. At least this game allows you to redraw your hand until you get a decent set of cards. Hell, the first time you redraw you don't even have to sacrifice a card.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I redid a mulligan a few times and lost cards along the way lol, whoops. Now I know.:newbie:

[quote name='eastx']Hey, if this one sells well, maybe they'll do a full sequel. I plan to buy it later in the summer.[/QUOTE]
Honestly, they can fix this game with a few patches and some DLC.

Ok sign me up for the group that hates the damn artifact deck, augh. I had two Lightning Elementals to finish him as I'm at 1 and he terrors one of them! Nooo, since he uses his fountain of youth I deal him damage and he's at 1. 1 FREAKIN POINT><
The artifact deck is almost as worse as my sliver deck back in the day.

I hope they don't allow you to fully customize decks, or at least only customize within the pool of cards we already have. Go play MTGO if you want that. This lets me play the actual game without all the card collecting bullshit.

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']I hope they don't allow you to fully customize decks, or at least only customize within the pool of cards we already have. Go play MTGO if you want that. This lets me play the actual game without all the card collecting bullshit.[/QUOTE]

This.

I just want to adjust how many lands and creatures I have in my deck as I unlock more cards for the decks so I can stay around 40-50 cards. A casual MTG on XBLA would be awesome. I hope they patch it.

I never really got into Magic back in the day. For this xbla game. I like the game, I like the general gameplay of Magic, but now that I'm playing against the harder decks there seem to be some cards that are fairly unbalanced. There are a fair amount of duds included in your starting decks, which brings the strength of them down. Took me about 6 times to beat the elf deck. Everytime I played I was shaking my head about how much better it is than any of your decks. Coat of arms is the glue of that deck, if they pull it at the right time, damn... I think I beat it with the red deck, crossing my fingers for no coat of arms, and nuking all their weak guys. Even then it wasn't an easy win.

I really wish they would allow you some customization of the decks. I think being able to swap out 10-15 cards would allow you to tune the decks (while keeping the game fair and deck themes the same) and make the game not as frustrating.

Can someone tell me, did the rules change and damage no longer uses the stack???

Then I wanted to boomerang my creature back to my hand after it was targeted by Razormane Masticore, but all it said was (player) choosing target, then my creature went to my graveyard.

Found the answer to the first question, no, it no longer uses the stack.

Playing the mono-blue deck, which is by far the worst deck i have played so far.

Razormane Masticore, ahhhh he always gets it... Plus the other card that gets +1/1 for every artifact he controls, Jesus. I try to use the red deck and have the goblin king out, bam terror.

Just played the worst game of Magic so far. I was blue playing against the computer which was black. The computer had two drudge skeletons out, and every time they would attack or any time I would attack, the computer would keep regenerating the skeletons until all of its mana was tapped, which was retarded because eventually they had like 15 mana and it took forever to do anything. So dumb.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The blue deck is by far my favorite and probably 2nd or 3rd best, I think.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I overreacted last night. I got a concussion from the beating that deck gave me.

Just wish I could tweak the deck a tiny bit.

Might have already been answered, but is there a list online of all unlockable cards for each color?

Oh man, I finally beat the last guy in campaign and was soooo happy. Beat him with the black deck since he had two howling mines and I had the enchantment to deal him damage for each card drawn lol. Masticores couldn't do anything either (other than killing one creature) because I made him discard all of his cards!

[quote name='paddlefoot']Just wish I could tweak the deck a tiny bit.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I'd be more than happy with this.

(I know nothing about Magic the card game)

I've been unlocking all the cards for the white and black deck. The hints say you should be aggressive when playing against white, and white is defensive. The white deck in the game seems to be rush offensive deck. With Holy day you can commit all your flyers to nonstop offense, and then be able to stop any large attack on yourself. If you are building up cards it's pretty good against the first green and blue deck.

The black deck is a fairly defensive deck. You want to put out the rack, underworld dreams, megrim, scoot imp, and demon's horn. I usually sacrifice any of my creatures if I can kill something to keep the game fairly creature free and just let the special cards killl your opponent. It's ridiculously good against the first blue deck, so it's very easy to get all 17 cards.

Seems like a lot of people play the elf deck online. That's a pretty good deck, but I can usually kill it with the white deck. I beat this one guy (elf deck) 31 to 0, I pulled ridiculous cards though.

Yea I just did a white versus white match in the campaign which was entertaining. Holy day is one card the devs said irked the playtesters a bit. The AI used it and I used it so it was a fairly equal match. It was funny though using pacifism on the two moth creatures so he couldn't block and gain 4 health, (he was able to do it once with one of them before I got pacifism on that card as the AI used holy day that one time as well) lol. ^^

Wow, I just played a game on LIVE where I pulled 17 lands in the first 27 (or so) cards with the black deck. I think the longest streak was 5 in a row. I don't even know how many lands are in the deck but that's gotta be all of them. The sad thing is I lived very long and was up to about 35 life at some point. I had 2 consume spirits, I used them to kill off his creatures, if I knew I was going to have so much mana I would have waiting til the end and hit the player for 15 damage each, but how could I know. I pulled Mortivore (he was like 11 strength) about 3 turns from my death, but it was too late.

It was really one of those games if I pulled any number of key cards I could have destroyed him (like a Nightmare with 17/17 flying, or shatter mind and make him drop 15 cards :p). The guy must have been laughing the whole time.

At least you didn't quit. Ever game I play unless they are winning they quit. Well I have only played 3 or 4 games and one was a 4 player game. Even in the 4 player game the host quit. I had the host down to less then 5 life they draw and quit. My first game when my red deck only had 4 of the unlocked cards at most I had the guy down to 1 life and they quit. I lost only one game I can thing of and I just stopped trying. I had a good start then just lost everything and was only drawing lands. I ended up in the last 3 hands getting that dragon that lets you add one damage for every land you tap. I ended up taping all of them and put they guy at 10 health and lost the next hand. If I could have some one not lost that hand I would have won.

I would still like to win one game of this online and not have the person quit. It is one thing to just stop trying but it is another to flat out disconnect.

They really need to fix the land tapping portion of the game. I get screwed at least once every 3-4 matches because of the AI taps my lands incorrectly. Really struggles with the 3 color decks

A lot needs to be fixed. I have at times tried to block and it would not even let me move to the card or go to different cards in my hand.

Hell I just found out that you can unlock more then 17 cards per deck. So anyone know what the number of cards for each deck their are to be unlocked in the game. I went back to the first deck with the red deck I have been playing won again and got another card so I'm just going to do that to build up more cards then try to beat the last deck with it. I have had them beat twice but they end up getting that card that is 10/10 with flying haste and trample on it. They get it just when they need it. Every time I only need 2 or 3 turns to beat them and they get that and I have no way to stop even 1 of the damage.

[quote name='sendme']Hell I just found out that you can unlock more then 17 cards per deck. So anyone know what the number of cards for each deck their are to be unlocked in the game. [/QUOTE]

What?

bread's done
Back