XBLA - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time - Now 800pts :whee: - 8/5

[quote name='Thrinn']Based on a 10 second investigation via Google....

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/12/hands-on-tmnt-turtles-in-time-re-shelled-xbla/[/QUOTE]

Boy, reading that preview, the game sounds SHORT. It sounds like this may not even be such a good deal even at 800 points. If Ubi had tried to pass off such a short game at 1200 points, it probably wouldn't have sold well even with such high name recognition.

And in answer to the question above, yes, Shadow Complex is 1200 points and a really great deal, it seems.

[quote name='Decker']Boy, reading that preview, the game sounds SHORT. It sounds like this may not even be such a good deal even at 800 points. If Ubi had tried to pass off such a short game at 1200 points, it probably wouldn't have sold well even with such high name recognition.

And in answer to the question above, yes, Shadow Complex is 1200 points and a really great deal, it seems.[/QUOTE]It is just a port of an arcade game which isn't made to be long, just hard enough to get several quarters per play through.

[quote name='hypertails02']:wall:

"...it includes online co-op support for up to four characters to lengthen the experience."[/QUOTE]I think his intent was to troll more than anything else.

[quote name='Nintendokid54']Is there confirmation on what port it is? The arcade or SNES version...[/QUOTE]

Must be the arcade one from the ign trailer. Had that weird mud monster boss instead of Slash. Sadly I've played the snes, and arcade version enough to know the differences. :lol:

It's so weird that they didn't include the SNES exclusive stuff. Almost as if they chose the arcade version so they'd have less work to do :(

[quote name='Greater Malison']Now make it 400 for people that already downloaded the original and Im sold![/QUOTE]

This game is different then the TMNT game that was released earlier.

[quote name='epistaxis']It's so weird that they didn't include the SNES exclusive stuff. Almost as if they chose the arcade version so they'd have less work to do :([/QUOTE]

Or, maybe, since it's being released on xbox and ps3, and that content was Nintendo exclusive, maybe they didn't have the rights to use it.

[quote name='Maskim']Or, maybe, since it's being released on xbox and ps3, and that content was Nintendo exclusive, maybe they didn't have the rights to use it.[/QUOTE]

I think the person you quoted was right. It was mostly just less work. Would you be more likely to spend 800 for an updated version of the arcade game or 1200 for an updated version of the SNES? It looks like Ubisoft was betting that the lower price would bring in more money in the long run.

It's possible, but I would think it's just as likely that it's content that's licensed only to Nintendo, still to this day. Back then you didn't see too many timed exclusivity deals. It was Sega or Nintendo. You didn't have the expected lifespan of games, with DLC or anything either, so who would care about the deal saying that content was Nintendo's forever? After a year or two, no one's going to be selling the game anymore anyways, right?

I'm glad they adjusted the price though. My little brother and I are going to be all over this, reliving all those times we'd rent this every time my mom would let us go to Hastings.

Still not worth it unless the original game is somehow unlockable.

The 3D gameplay and dull graphics look like they will totally ruin this classic.

The price should have been $10 in the first place. Still I wont be picking it up because the game is going to be extremely short, i'll stick to my $3 amazon download of TMNT 89

Props to Microsoft for actually listening to the complaints and realizing they made a pricing mistake. I'll pick it up now for sure.

[quote name='wEEman33']Still not worth it unless the original game is somehow unlockable.

The 3D gameplay and dull graphics look like they will totally ruin this classic.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. The gameplay looks pretty much exactly the same as the original, right down to throwing enemies at the screen and wooden planks hitting you in the face in the pirate level. The graphics looks wonderful, although I wish they used something else other than the TMNT character designs. I like them enough, but they're kind of overused. I believe this is the third game that will use them (TMNT, Smash Up, Turtles in Time), and I'm kind of tired of them by now.

I'm still on the fence. I watched some gameplay video and with 4 people playing. It looks like a real cluster****. Screen size seemed too small for all the action going on.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']does this game have online coop?[/QUOTE]

it should. The previous release of TMNT had it. Can see why this shouldnt either.

[quote name='Chadical']I've heard this is only the arcade version. Meaning a lot of levels are going to be left out.

No technodrome.[/QUOTE]
you mean there will be no fighting Krang? Now $10 seems like a lot.

[quote name='Maskim']Or, maybe, since it's being released on xbox and ps3, and that content was Nintendo exclusive, maybe they didn't have the rights to use it.[/QUOTE]

Naw, Konami owned all rights to the game. Ever wonder how rare was able to release Banjo Kazooi (an N64 game made when Nintendo owned Rare) on the Xbox Live Arcade? It's because Rare owned the IP and they were able to get away with emulating their own game.

Even though Ubisoft owns the TMNT videogame license right now, that doesn't stop them from making deals with Konami (They owned the license up until like the late 90s I think) for releasing all these early TMNT titles.

Back on topic, the only thing the Arcade version had over the SNES version was slightly better graphics. Seeing how the graphics were 100% redone, there was really no excuse to use the Arcade version as a base besides cutting the development cycle down and shafting the consumer. Because, lets face it, only us nerds would be able to point out a difference like that :cool:

[quote name='epistaxis']Back on topic, the only thing the Arcade version had over the SNES version was slightly better graphics. Seeing how the graphics were 100% redone, there was really no excuse to use the Arcade version as a base besides cutting the development cycle down and shafting the consumer. Because, lets face it, only us nerds would be able to point out a difference like that :cool:[/QUOTE] I wonder if they took the same approach that Capcom did with Street Fighter HDR where they used the old code base with a new graphics engine. If that was the case, I can see why they'd choose the arcade version - to allow for 4 player co-op.

I don't know the development process for this game, but seeing how they recreated EVERYTHING graphically, it almost looks like they used the Arcade version as a template (i.e. just as a storyboard for how to recreate the game). I can't see a single valid reason for not including the SNES content.

Wow...finding out that this is the arcade version kind of makes me not want to get it anymore. I don't want to spend 800 points for 25 minutes of game. I think I may grab MvC2 now instead.

[quote name='epistaxis']I don't know the development process for this game, but seeing how they recreated EVERYTHING graphically, it almost looks like they used the Arcade version as a template (i.e. just as a storyboard for how to recreate the game). I can't see a single valid reason for not including the SNES content.[/QUOTE]

Probably because it's a remake of the ARCADE version and not the SNES version.

[quote name='emceelokey']Probably because it's a remake of the ARCADE version and not the SNES version.[/QUOTE]

They are the same game pretty much. Why would you not want to remake the best version of the game?

I guess the main difference, and in my opinion, the reason why they chose the arcade version, is the SNES one is two player, the arcade is four. I'd rather re-create the frenzy of the arcade version with four friends. Believe me, it's much more fun.

Gsr linked to a great page comparing the SNES and arcade versions. It looks like the SNES game had an extra stage and a few new bosses, while the arcade game had a lot more voice and animation.
The Technodrome level will be missed, but I don't remember people saying we should skip the first TMNT XBLA game because it lacked the snow and shogun stages from the NES port...

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that was cooler about the SNES version were the updated bosses. Fighting the Rat King in the sewer and Slash instead of the blob monster thing.

The SNES version had a better combat system. The Arcade version was 2 button, while the SNES version was 4 button. You could control how you threw guys into the screen, too. The Arcade version made it happen randomly.

Also, the Technodrome level (aka the boss fight with Shredder) was pretty iconic.

[quote name='KingBroly']The SNES version had a better combat system. The Arcade version was 2 button, while the SNES version was 4 button. You could control how you threw guys into the screen, too. The Arcade version made it happen randomly.

[/QUOTE]

You're right about the control, but wrong about everything else. In the Arcade version, all the Turtles controlled the same. The SNES version gave them different speeds and abilities.

The control on the SNES version was the same as the arcade. Both used only two buttons.

Throwing Foot Soldiers at the screen was performed by standing exactly next to one and hitting the attack button. It wasn't exact, but it worked. And yes, that was in both versions.

[quote name='Budkin']Props to Microsoft for actually listening to the complaints and realizing they made a pricing mistake. I'll pick it up now for sure.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! Day 1 purchase now!

Its like I'm reliving my childhood all over again. I'm still happy about it, and for 800 points I'm sure its worth it. I would have paid 1200 or even 1600 points easy,but that's just me... :whistle2:#

I think I'm gona have to get this, hopfully I will be able to play with some of you guys online since all my friends dont like this game for some reason.

[quote name='lordwow']To throw them @ Shredder, didn't you have to hit down at the same time as you threw?[/QUOTE]

From what I remember in the SNES version you hit a Foot-Solider once and they should buckle over, you then quickly move closer and attack which should result in a throw.

tick tock, lets kick shell

achievements:

The Inflatable Reptilian Hero (5)
Get flattened by any trap.

Seen My Bones? (5)
Get zapped by any laser traps or attacks.

Invincible (5)
Complete a level without having to use a single Power-up.

Turtle Tantrum! (5)
Destroy more than 5 enemies using a destructible object.

Slow as a Turtle (10)
Complete a level in under 3 minutes.

Lean, Green and Mean (20)
Achieve more than 8,000 points.

Toe Be or Not Toe Be? (20)
Avoid all traps in Level 3.

Ice, Ice, Turtle (20)
Avoid Ice Ray traps in Level 8.

Staying Alive (25)
Defeat the Final Boss without dying.

Turtle Power (25)
Complete the game in Story Mode. (Normal difficulty onwards).

I Will Survive (30)
Complete a Survival Mode game. (Normal difficulty onwards)

Heroes in a Half Shell (30)
Complete the game with all 4 Turtles.

[quote name='soccerstud652']tick tock, lets kick shell

achievements:

The Inflatable Reptilian Hero (5)
Get flattened by any trap.

Seen My Bones? (5)
Get zapped by any laser traps or attacks.

Invincible (5)
Complete a level without having to use a single Power-up.

Turtle Tantrum! (5)
Destroy more than 5 enemies using a destructible object.

Slow as a Turtle (10)
Complete a level in under 3 minutes.

Lean, Green and Mean (20)
Achieve more than 8,000 points.

Toe Be or Not Toe Be? (20)
Avoid all traps in Level 3.

Ice, Ice, Turtle (20)
Avoid Ice Ray traps in Level 8.

Staying Alive (25)
Defeat the Final Boss without dying.

Turtle Power (25)
Complete the game in Story Mode. (Normal difficulty onwards).

I Will Survive (30)
Complete a Survival Mode game. (Normal difficulty onwards)

Heroes in a Half Shell (30)
Complete the game with all 4 Turtles.[/QUOTE]

Nice. One day left until Turtles.:applause:

It should be Lean, Mean and Green. I only see a couple of troublesome achievements: I Will Survive, Staying Alive and Slow as a Turtle (unless the final boss is its own level).

[quote name='KingBroly']It should be Lean, Mean and Green. I only see a couple of troublesome achievements: I Will Survive, Staying Alive and Slow as a Turtle (unless the final boss is its own level).[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you can choose who you party up with to make life easier.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Hopefully you can choose who you party up with to make life easier.[/QUOTE]

I believe this will be an xbox firmware feature soon if not already. I saw it mentioned in the thread about previewing the next version.

That's not what he means. For the original TMNT Arcade on XBLA, to get achievements, you have to do a public game. It's not so hard now, but originally when it was released it must've been hard to get certain achievements.

bread's done
Back