2009-2010 NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wildpac, I ask this in all seriousness: why are you so bitter, man? You're like something out of a movie.

Anyways, Lakers lost this because Kobe got zero help from anywhere. Team defense was terrible, and Artest's individual defense on Pierce was laughable. How do you let a team shoot nearly 60% in a Finals game? Bynum was nonexistent after the first. Pau played like 2008 Pau. Just an ugly overall game for the Lakers. If Kobe hadn't done his thing, this would have been a blowout.

[quote name='wildcpac']I do not know why you Massholes are so worried about me. Your team is won win away from another tainted NBA title.[/QUOTE]

Ok this is a dead serious question......how old are you? Do you frequent gamefaqs by any chance?

Is it possible to naturally be this big of a douche. I'm sorry but you talk like you are 12 years old, tops.

Kobe got no help tonight and his supporting cast was pathetic. It was nice for the most part tonight the refs let the teams play a little bit more.

[quote name='bvharris']You sort of lost all your credibility to question Paul Pierce's HoF credentials when you basically said Rajon Rondo was a joke. I mean, there's such thing as objective credibility, and it's slightly possible you've shown your cards.[/QUOTE]

paul pierce is the biggest bitch to ever put on a celtic uniform hes not even a top 10 celtic hasnt done nothing but publicly shit on his fans and team then when they giftwrap and send kg to the team all of sudden hes relevant again and hes back to loving his team and fans again. As dirty as Kg has become this team would be nothing without him.

[quote name='antlp89']Paul Pierce is extremely overrated and his team would still be out of the playoffs without KG, Allen, and Rondo.

Kobe still made the playoffs without allstars around him. And Kobe doesn't shout that he's one of the greatest players of his team's history, because he is and everyone knows that. Paul Pierce is not, but he has a damn good team surrounding him.

Get off Paul Pierce's nutsack and give credit to the rest of the Celtics (who deserve it a lot more than he does).[/QUOTE]

pretty much truth

kobe has made the playoffs with smush fucking parker and kwame brown IN THE WEST for heavens sake pauls bum ass couldnt even crack top 10 in the shitty east even lebron willed his team to the playoffs and he had a even shittier supporting cast then kobe did

[quote name='antlp89']Paul Pierce is extremely overrated and his team would still be out of the playoffs without KG, Allen, and Rondo.

Kobe still made the playoffs without allstars around him. And Kobe doesn't shout that he's one of the greatest players of his team's history, because he is and everyone knows that. Paul Pierce is not, but he has a damn good team surrounding him.

Get off Paul Pierce's nutsack and give credit to the rest of the Celtics (who deserve it a lot more than he does).[/QUOTE]
Pierce carried a team to the Eastern Conference Finals with a starting 5 of him, Antoine Walker, Kenny Anderson, Tony Battie, and Eric Williams.

What has Kobe done without Shaq or Gasol? Hell, what did Kobe win tonight without a supporting cast? You don't win titles with one guy. D-Wade and LeBron couldn't carry their teams all the way without help, even Jordan needed Pippen and Rodman.

Pierce is a first ballot Hall of Famer whether Lakers fans like it or not. He's the greatest basketball player ever to come out of LA.

[quote name='dafoomie']
Pierce is a first ballot Hall of Famer whether Lakers fans like it or not. He's the greatest basketball player ever to come out of LA.[/QUOTE]

As I was saying in this thread a couple days ago, I don't understand the joy in sports fandom which comes from tearing other people's players down.

From both sides.

You're correct here though, anyone who suggests that Paul Pierce isn't a Hall of Famer is just being silly. Whether people agree with it or not (obviously I do), he'll be in.

Did he win though? Did he win a game in the Finals? No.

Great teams win. Great players don't win titles by themselves. Not Kobe, not LeBron, not Jordan, not Magic or Kareem, not nobody.

The Lakers as a whole again looked like the didn't really know how to move the ball the whole game. Which is why I'm suprised they had it somewhat close at the end, but then again the game changes and gets more frantic in the last few mins anyway.

What lost the game for the Lakers def has something to do with the ball movement and defense, but the last quarter, there were some bizarre rebounding situations that fell in favor of Boston. Boston played much better as a team tonight (all of their stars at least showed up somewhat) , almost exactly like game 4... but without at least a couple of those bounces falling their way it's likely it would've been a closer game. Not saying by any means the Lakers would've won as Boston hustled on the glass tonight and wanted it more.

Here's to a great game 6, and some of you guys will hate me for this but I'm looking for Game 7 (of course if forced) for either Pierce or Kobe to hit the game winner as time expires... epic finish to an epic finals.

Two fan bases would go absolutely batshit insane

[quote name='dafoomie']Are these announcers serious? Their straight ahead angle showed that it hit the rim clear as day.[/QUOTE]

That first angle they showed clearly shows it skimmed the rim, but then they showed 3 other angles and kept showing the last angle. It definitely skimmed, just like the ball skimmed off Pau's leg on that other play that was identical to the KG play from the other game. Funny though they gave Kobe 3 free foul shots to make up for it. At least in the end, the calls in this game ended up being pretty even.

[quote name='jlarlee']Yea Paul took that ball from Bryant, Pierce giving Kobe 08 flashbacks[/QUOTE]

I was laughing my ass off. KG did a great job there and Pierce grabbed it as Kobe couldn't get a hold on it then he flailed and had a tantrum. That was priceless.

[quote name='antlp89']No, the reason they didn't win game 5 is because Kobe Bryant alone cannot beat the entire Celtic team by himself. Kobe was unbelievable as usual, but where in the world was the rest of the Laker team? Even Nate Robinson stepped up for Boston, they won because of their team defense and team effort.

And why are you giving up already? There still is game 6 and 7.

Although I agree with you, I can't stand either of these teams. Can't stand glorified floppers and both teams are filled with them.[/QUOTE]

Kobe needs to know when his scoring detracts from his teammates. He's gotta involve them in the game and realize he can't do it single handedly. Otherwise they'll just get used to watching him. Fisher, Gasol, & Artest should be given flop awards, in that order. I had to laugh when the announcer said if you flop so much it's hard for the refs to know when a legitimate foul is actually occurring, when talking about Fisher. I don't know why people give Artest so much credit, all I've seen of him is crap. I'll be cheering the day Pierce becomes HOF, he's given up a lot of his own game to play as a team.

2009-10 playoffs:

Pau Gasol: 128 ORtg (points produced per 100 possessions)
Andrew Bynum: 121 ORtg
Kobe Bryant: 115 ORtg
Lamar Odom: 114 ORtg

Pau Gasol: 62.1 TS%
Andrew Bynum: .594 TS%
Kobe Bryant: .575 TS%

Pau Gasol: 13 FGA
Andrew Bynum: 6.5 FGA
Kobe Bryant: 22 FGA

Pau Gasol: 21% usage rate
Andrew Bynum: 16.2% usage rate
Kobe Bryant: 33.2% usage rate
Lamar Odom: 16.9% usage rate

Pau Gasol: 110 DRtg (points allowed per 100 possessions)
Lamar Odom: 108 DRtg
Andrew Bynum: 108 DRtg
Kobe Bryant: 111 DRtg

Running theme since 2008, etc.

If Bynum were healthy, the Finals would be over.

Assuming Kobe would pass him the ball, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta admit, and I'm probably not alone in this, i thought we wasted Eddie House to get Robinson. But I'm all for signing Nate if he plays this way. He is the perfect backup for Rondo because he gives the defense fits because you have to guard him the exact opposite of the way you guard Rondo. It seems most games he will come in and the defense will sag back because they have been doing that for 14 minutes already and he nails a shot.

He has been real effective in passing the ball too, I wonder if he has legitimately turned a corner or whether he is behaving to get a ring/better contract. Makes me think of some of the reclamation projects the C's pulled off in the early 80's

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']2009-10 playoffs:

Pau Gasol: 128 ORtg (points produced per 100 possessions)
Andruw Bynum: 121 ORtg
Kobe Bryant: 115 ORtg
Lamar Odom: 114 ORtg

Pau Gasol: 62.1 TS%
Andruw Bynum: .594 TS%
Kobe Bryant: .575 TS%

Pau Gasol: 13 FGA
Andruw Bynum: 6.5 FGA
Kobe Bryant: 22 FGA

Pau Gasol: 21% usage rate
Andruw Bynum: 16.2% usage rate
Kobe Bryant: 33.2% usage rate
Lamar Odom: 16.9% usage rate

Pau Gasol: 110 DRtg (points allowed per 100 possessions)
Lamar Odom: 108 DRtg
Andruw Bynum: 108 DRtg
Kobe Bryant: 111 DRtg

Running theme since 2008, etc.

If Bynum were healthy, the Finals would be over.

Assuming Kobe would pass him the ball, of course.[/QUOTE]

And if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle.

People act like "If Bynum was healthy..." well....he's never healthy.

Simply put this is how it breaks down, which Adrian Wojieckashdeas;hda on Yahoo Sports wrote about it.

When KG got hit, and Rondo pushed Artest, it showed the Celtics our a team.

Let's say Odom gets roughed up.....who's shoving back?

Gasol?
Kobe?
Artest?
MBenga?

This isn't about Kobe not passing enough/shooting enough, and it's not even about being out-gunned, because on-paper and talent wise the Lakers have the advantage.

It's just simply, the Celtics are put together as a team and everyone knows there role and willing to sacrifice points, rebounds, for the betterment of their squad (Pierce is meh on that to me....still feel he gets in 'chuck' mode when he sees Rondo go off).

Nonetheless, I see the Celtics winning Game 6.....the Lakers will come out early....take a lead and the Celtics will chip away and win it.

If that happens and the Celtics win the championship again....the Lakers have to seriously re-think this whole Odom/Gasol/Bynum tandem.....because it won't win them another championship as long as a tougher team is in the NBA waiting for there vaginas to pop-up come playoff time.

I dunno about them needing to rebuild they are a bit younger than the Celts and have a reasonable window of 2-4 years by a conservative estimate. I honestly think the Celtics have one more year before age hits them hard as hell.

Say what you want about Pierce going (or not going) into the HOF, but his overall Finals performance has been horrible. Sometimes I even forget he's out on the court. Rondo shines and Pierce is nowhere to be found.

And really, who cares if "nobody has Odom's back"? So no Laker would commit a dumb play like Rondo did is what you're saying. That was not, is not, and never will be a good use of a foul. If they were down or he was in foul trouble Doc Rivers would have been pissed.

[quote name='ph33r m3']People act like "If Bynum was healthy..." well....he's never healthy.[/QUOTE]
Its like saying, well if KG, Pierce, and Allen weren't old... They're old. And Bynum is Bynum. Maybe he should've mailed it in for the season like the Celtics did and saved a little something for the playoffs, the guy just can't hold up for any length of time.

[quote name='jlarlee']I gotta admit, and I'm probably not alone in this, i thought we wasted Eddie House to get Robinson. But I'm all for signing Nate if he plays this way. He is the perfect backup for Rondo because he gives the defense fits because you have to guard him the exact opposite of the way you guard Rondo. It seems most games he will come in and the defense will sag back because they have been doing that for 14 minutes already and he nails a shot.

He has been real effective in passing the ball too, I wonder if he has legitimately turned a corner or whether he is behaving to get a ring/better contract. Makes me think of some of the reclamation projects the C's pulled off in the early 80's[/QUOTE]

Nate Robinson IMO is an underrated player. I think he is alot better than the guy getting benched in NY.

[quote name='ph33r m3']If that happens and the Celtics win the championship again....the Lakers have to seriously re-think this whole Odom/Gasol/Bynum tandem.....because it won't win them another championship as long as a tougher team is in the NBA waiting for there vaginas to pop-up come playoff time. [/QUOTE]

Of course if there is a better team than someone isn't going to win :roll: Anyways, the Lakers have a tough enough team when healthy to take down the best of them; that's what got them to the Finals playing 3-2 in the series currently.

If D Wade gets his wish, Lebron and Bosh will be on the Heat and we all know the Heat will get a championship for it, no matter how the others stack up.

[quote name='antlp89']Paul Pierce is extremely overrated [/QUOTE]

This. The sad thing is he will most likely get into the HoF.

[quote name='dafoomie']
Its like saying, well if KG, Pierce, and Allen weren't old... They're old. And Bynum is Bynum. Maybe he should've mailed it in for the season like the Celtics did and saved a little something for the playoffs, the guy just can't hold up for any length of time. [/QUOTE]

Actually its not. Ray about the same age as Kobe, KG same as Fisher, Pierce about the same age as Odom. As for Bynum, if healthy, he is a great scorer and good low post presense i.e. cutting off the lane, getting boards and blocks, etc. His play would be game changing.

Sporting News quote of the top 3 reasons why Celtics have momentum
3. They won the paint, again. With center Andrew Bynum(notes) struggling because of a knee injury, the Celtics outscored the Lakers in the paint, 46-32. The Lakers blocked 28 shots in the first three games, but just four in the last two.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']

And really, who cares if "nobody has Odom's back"? So no Laker would commit a dumb play like Rondo did is what you're saying. That was not, is not, and never will be a good use of a foul. If they were down or he was in foul trouble Doc Rivers would have been pissed.[/QUOTE]

Nobody said it was the smartest play ever. You're right in that aspect. I even went off on Rondo a bit, but looking back and seeing what ph33r m3 said, "When KG got hit, and Rondo pushed Artest, it showed the Celtics [are] a team." Rondo, one of the smallest players on the court, pushed back when his teammate was pushed. That only goes to show how much of a team the C's are. Thats like, brother mentality. I know that if my brother, or buds, were to ever get pushed like that, I'd do the same thing.

No one on the Lakers gives a shit about one another. Thats the point. The Lakers are a star-studded show, but the C's are a team, built like a team, run like a team. They act like they care, because they do care. You think Kobe would have come back like that had Luke Walton gotten floored? Nope.

Just look at Artests eyes that dude is legitimately crazy. It was brave by Rondo IMO it was one of those lose the battle win the war moments.

You know what? I dont give a shit if Magic is in the HOF and a part of Lakers history, this idiot should never be on air again. He has got to be one of the worst......whatever the hell he is....right now.

Also, that little shove by rondo wasnt shit and I cant believe people are even drawing anything from it. That was a 5 grade playground touch to a guy who wasnt even looking in his direction. Pfft.

[quote name='lordopus99']This. The sad thing is he will most likely get into the HoF.[/quote]
Don't substantiate this with facts or anything. There are players better than he is, LeBron, Kobe, D-Wade, but you can't deny his accomplishments. He was the best player on teams that have beaten all of those guys. He never got any respect earlier in his career because of the shitty teams he was on, and now you guys act like he became good all of a sudden. You can't ignore him anymore.

[quote name='lordopus99']Actually its not. Ray about the same age as Kobe, KG same as Fisher, Pierce about the same age as Odom. As for Bynum, if healthy, he is a great scorer and good low post presense i.e. cutting off the lane, getting boards and blocks, etc. His play would be game changing.[/QUOTE]
Actually it is. Bynum is a guy who has always had knee problems, even in high school. This is the guy they got when they drafted him, asking him to stop getting hurt is like asking KG or Allen not to be old. He'll have windows of time where he's close to 100% in his career, but what are the odds of them occuring when he's needed most?

Each team is a product of their coach. Phil Jackson is overrated and over time he has developed into a real jerk. Manipulator too. I blame him for their losses in this series as much as any of the players. For those who don't think Pierce is HOF material, what makes you think that? Just want to hear your perspective.

There is a poster on the wall in the locker room of the Boston Celtics -- Individuals Win Games, Teams Win Titles -- strategically placed by the door, making sure every player sees it before he takes the court every night.

It may sound too cliché, too corny in today's basketball world, but it never has been more appropriate than now -- with the Celtics one victory away from another NBA championship.

"You can have a superstar player, an individual player who makes great plays all night, but if you got a team full of guys playing together like we do, the results speak for themselves,'' said Boston center Kendrick Perkins. "That poster, we take it to heart. We'll take it to LA.''
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/14/celtics-win-without-the-best-players-just-the-best-team/

[quote name='J7.']Each team is a product of their coach. Phil Jackson is overrated and over time he has developed into a real jerk. Manipulator too. I blame him for their losses in this series as much as any of the players.[/QUOTE]

Overrated... :roll: History doesn't prove he is overrated. He is the coach with most titles (6 w/ Chicago, 4 w/ LA). He has the best winning percentage of all coaches as well (over 70%). Yes he has an ego but what players/coaches don't...

[quote name='lordopus99']Overrated... :roll: History doesn't prove he is overrated. He is the coach with most titles (6 w/ Chicago, 4 w/ LA). He has the best winning percentage of all coaches as well (over 70%). Yes he has an ego but what players/coaches don't...[/QUOTE]

I think what he was trying to say, that yeah, even though he's the most winning-est coach of all time and he's got the most post season wins and rings, that people think he's this "basketball god" or something of the sort. Something that makes him infallible or something. Personally, I don't agree, but I can see where people could/would think he's a tad overrated.

One of these games needs overtime right? I think that happens tonight.
on a personal note I have to board a fifteen hour flight about 3 hours after the game is done if the C's lose I'm going to have a lot of time to stew about it.

I don't think they can get a big name coach whether Lebron stays or not. If Lebron's there, the coach has to know that James is the one running the team, not him. If Lebron's gone, it's a total rebuilding project. What top coach wants to be in either of those situations?

Did the Celtics from Assachusetts forget to board the plane after game 5? Looks like the Lakers are playing the Clippers wearing Green Jerseys. 51-31 at the half.

I am shocked that Dafoomie isn't blaming the Refs tonight like usual. I guess you really can't blame the refs when your team plays like the Clippers.

I expected a stinker in game 6, they're missing wide open shots and even dunks.

Game isn't over by any means, we saw that in 08, but if the C's don't come out of the half on fire then they'll probably just rest everyone for the last 15 minutes and get ready for game 7.

[quote name='dafoomie']I expected a stinker in game 6, they're missing wide open shots and even dunks.

Game isn't over by any means, we saw that in 08, but if the C's don't come out of the half on fire then they'll probably just rest everyone for the last 15 minutes and get ready for game 7.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, I'm more nervous with a big lead at halftime as opposed to a tight game. All it takes is a couple minutes of complacency by the Lakers and the Celtics can turn it right around.

Lakers are finally stepping up. If they win this game it's because they actually put in some effort. Let's see if the Celtics have an answer.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']fuck Robert Sarver. That is all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's terrible. Kerr made a lot of good moves and had a full roster that loved to play together, not just 5,6, or 7 guys.

I have to say even though it has been an interesting series, no game really ever felt like it was contested. We knew the Lakers had 1,3, and 6 before it was over and the same went for the Celtics in 2,4, and 5... here's to game 7!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back