2009-2010 NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rondo has been IN the league four years now blessed with three perenial allstars. Derrick Rose has been in the league 2 years and has gotten better each year on his own. Put 2 allstars on that bulls team and watch Rose flurish.

[quote name='devera.rich']Rondo has been IN the league four years now blessed with three perenial allstars. Derrick Rose has been in the league 2 years and has gotten better each year on his own. Put 2 allstars on that bulls team and watch Rose flurish.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Rondo plays better than all three of them in the playoffs. He's the best (and definitely the most consistent) of the four right now, everyone who watches the NBA realizes that.

This argument is stupid, who cares whether Rondo or Rose is better? Both are awesome.

[quote name='thamaster24']

If the series was over right now, MVPs for the teams would go:
Lakers: Kobe (Almost wanna say Pau but Kobe is winning bc of the past 2 gms)

Celtics: The Ticket Stub Big Baby Davis, never thought I'd say that[/QUOTE]

Honestly, there's no other choice for MVP if the Celtics win it. Davis has dominated the larger Lakers front line. Without him, the Celtics would have lost this game for sure, and without this game, the series was over.

Rondo is definately better all around player right now. I'm just saying he was fortunate to have the big three around to help him reach true potential.

[quote name='devera.rich']Rondo is definately better all around player right now. I'm just saying he was fortunate to have the big three around to help him reach true potential.[/QUOTE]

Sure, though I think also it's just that we wouldn't have realized how good he truly was if he didn't have those guys. Lots of amazing players languish for years on bad teams. Though basketball is definitely a great team sport in that it's harder for a guy to really shine without great teammates.

This isn't directed at you, just a general observation, but I've never really understood the "my guy is better than your guy" aspect of sports fandom. I mean, I get that as fans we take pride in having great players and rooting for them, which is great. But me thinking Tom Brady is awesome doesn't need to have anything to do with thinking Peyton Manning sucks (only idiots think that) or even that Brady is better. Who cares?

Maybe Tom Thibodeau can teach Rose some defense in Chicago, but he needs to learn how to pass the ball before he can have other players around him and win championships.

Rondo was fortunate that he was the one young player the Celtics decided they could not live without when they picked up KG and Allen. But Rose wouldn't have succeeded in that situation because of the type of player he is. Its why a guy like Iverson didn't work in Denver or Detroit and they were both better with Chauncey Billups.

[quote name='dafoomie']
Rondo was fortunate that he was the one young player the Celtics decided they could not live without when they picked up KG and Allen. But Rose wouldn't have succeeded in that situation because of the type of player he is. Its why a guy like Iverson didn't work in Denver or Detroit.[/QUOTE]

True. Rondo has definitely developed into more of a scoring threat, but his greatest asset is always going to be as a distributor and as a defender. I honestly never expected him to have the sort of offensive game he's developed (which is even now a work in progress), but what he does on offense if mostly gravy.

My decision to buy his jersey his rookie year (the only sports jersey I own actually, I'm not a big jersey guy) looks smarter and smarter by the year.

Wow what a night.
Had to pause the game at halftime to go see my kids baseball game and i was in a bad mood because the Celtics were playing sloppy. Big Mo took a turn for the better my kid raked three hits and I came home and watched the Boston bench outplay the Lakers starters.

Some thoughts
Hopefully Rasheed is ok was a pretty dirty play by Pau to dump him like that.
That was probably a charge on Pierce but I will take it.
Lakers are totally different without Bynum

[quote name='dafoomie']Love the "No Means No" chant at Kobe.[/QUOTE]That's laughs. I thought they were just saying "Kobe sucks."

It's a good thing that Wallace got a tech, dude was getting annoying with his hissy fits.

[quote name='wildcpac']Do the Lakers know how to rebound? Have to give the Celtics credit with their bench Davis and Midget came up huge. Turning point was the bullshit non charge but defensive foul against the Lakers on Pierce. I never want to hear another Masshole Idiot complain about the refs.[/QUOTE]

You forget the 2 calls on Rasheed against Pau that were not fouls, and the one on Kobe that was all ball. There were a few others, like the one on Ray when he had all ball on Kobe's 3 and then barely touched his hand on the follow through (which was called to make up for that Pierce play - the play right before) And then the 3 seconds on KG when the shot clock was at 20 and it took 2 seconds to get over half court. You have nothing to complain about this game. I viewed all of those plays on instant replay at least 2 times each.

[quote name='advanced'] Maybe Odom didn't have enough Twix on the bench tonight. No sugar rush for him.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='dafoomie']Love the "No Means No" chant at Kobe.[/QUOTE]

I thought they were chanting "No you're not". Since LA always chants MVP when he's at the line.

Just read interesting article.
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=5274697
Bryant was 5-for-8 from the field in the first half and the Lakers led by three. He was just 5-for-14 in the second half with the guy the Celtics call "T.A." playing textbook defense on him, and the Lakers lost the game by seven. Allen's harassing presence contributed to Kobe coughing up seven turnovers.

According to ESPN Stats & Info, Bryant is now just 5-for-19 (26.6 percent) in the Finals with Tony Allen as the Celtics' primary defender on him. Even when he doesn't cause Bryant to miss a shot, he deters him from even taking one. In the 73 possessions that Allen has guarded him this series, Kobe has only touched the ball 79.5 percent of the time. In the 234 possessions when it's been somebody other than Allen checking Kobe, Bryant's touched the ball 88 percent of the time.

Funny pic
061010-NBA-Los-Angeles-Lakers-SW-PI_20100610232946_202_97.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dafoomie']Enough with the technicals. How do you T up guys just for being emotional in the Finals?[/QUOTE]
Really?

Act like you've done this before and you aren't the trash that snuck in. Especially when your win ties the series. A little class would go a long way.

Seriously, a three point play and Davis acts the damn fool. Buy some class nub.

[quote name='bvharris']Yes, but Rondo plays better than all three of them in the playoffs. He's the best (and definitely the most consistent) of the four right now, everyone who watches the NBA realizes that.

This argument is stupid, who cares whether Rondo or Rose is better? Both are awesome.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The argument is stupid and I thought it ended awhile back. Dafoomie, stop rehashing old topics.

Rose - 2 years in the league, averages 20.8pts, 6.0assist, 3TO
Rondo - 4 years in the league... his second year in the league averaged 10.6pts, 5.1assist, 2TO

Give Rose 3 all stars and 2 more years to develop. He would probably look just as good.

[quote name='lordopus99']I agree. The argument is stupid and I thought it ended awhile back. Dafoomie, stop rehashing old topics.

Rose - 2 years in the league, averages 20.8pts, 6.0assist, 3TO
Rondo - 4 years in the league... his second year in the league averaged 10.6pts, 5.1assist, 2TO

Give Rose 3 all stars and 2 more years to develop. He would probably look just as good.[/QUOTE]

You seem to have missed my point entirely since you agreed having the argument was stupid and then went on to discuss it anyway.

I'm saying it's stupid to even care which one is better. Just appreciate that we're watching an era which has a very good batch of exceptionally gifted PGs, Rondo and Rose are both young and exciting and will be great players in this league for years to come.

[quote name='bvharris']You seem to have missed my point entirely since you agreed having the argument was stupid and then went on to discuss it anyway.

I'm saying it's stupid to even care which one is better. Just appreciate that we're watching an era which has a very good batch of exceptionally gifted PGs, Rondo and Rose are both young and exciting and will be great players in this league for years to come.[/QUOTE]

Actually this era shows the lack of a PG. Most PGs in this league are "combo" guards i.e. shooting guards. 10+ years ago... the PG actually passed up shots for assists. Today's PG including Rose are "shoot first" guards. There are very few true PGs in the league.

[quote name='lordopus99']Actually this era shows the lack of a PG. Most PGs in this league are "combo" guards i.e. shooting guards. 10+ years ago... the PG actually passed up shots for assists. Today's PG including Rose are "shoot first" guards. There are very few true PGs in the league.[/QUOTE]

I agree. True point guards were guys like Magic and Stockton. Steve Nash embodies that very well, but he'll only be around for another couple years.

[quote name='lordopus99']Actually this era shows the lack of a PG. Most PGs in this league are "combo" guards i.e. shooting guards. 10+ years ago... the PG actually passed up shots for assists. Today's PG including Rose are "shoot first" guards. There are very few true PGs in the league.[/QUOTE]

I know the difference, most NBA fans do. Would you have preferred that I phrase it "Exceptional players playing the PG position?"

[quote name='lordopus99']I agree. The argument is stupid and I thought it ended awhile back. Dafoomie, stop rehashing old topics.[/quote]
I didn't bring it up.

[quote name='lordopus99']Give Rose 3 all stars and 2 more years to develop. He would probably look just as good.[/QUOTE]
Rose would not succeed on the Celtics in place of Rondo. He's the wrong type of player for that team, he's not a distributor and he needs to take a shit ton of shots.

I don't think very much of shoot first point guards, their job is to pass the ball and facilitate others. Iverson was as good as you'll ever see and he never won, and if you swapped him with the PG on most championship teams they wouldn't have won either.

[quote name='dafoomie']

Rose would not succeed on the Celtics in place of Rondo. He's the wrong type of player for that team, he's not a distributor and he needs to take a shit ton of shots.

I don't think very much of shoot first point guards, their job is to pass the ball and facilitate others. Iverson was as good as you'll ever see and he never won, and if you swapped him with the PG on most championship teams they wouldn't have won either.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I disagree here, I think if Rose was on the Celtics he probably would scale back on how many shots he took, just like Allen and Garnett did when they arrived.

[quote name='dafoomie']Where was all that Derrick Rose talk when Rondo was killing it in the last 3 series?

Rose is not a distributor and he has no vision on the court. He's a volume scorer and not very efficient. He doesn't get to the line enough, and like Rondo, he can't shoot 3's. And he's not good defensively. He's Baron Davis. The 2010 Derrick Rose doesn't win a championship on the Celtics in 08 and he doesn't get the Celtics to the finals this year.

Wasn't this discussion over when Rondo almost averaged a triple double against Rose in the playoffs?[/QUOTE]

I will preface this by saying I'm a Bulls fan but I think you're really selling Rose short here. Rondo is definitely more of a true point guard and Rose is more of a scoring point guard. IMO Rose is the best point guard in the league at driving to the basket. Rondo I would say would be 2nd.

On many occasions this year I watched Rose take over games and carry the Bulls to wins. Even in the playoff series against the Cavs this year Rose played really well. He averaged 26 pts and 7 assists per game. This year it was upon Rose to carry the Bulls. He was the reason they made the playoffs. I don't even know who their 2nd best player is......Deng or Noah.

I completely disagree about the 2010 Rose on the 08 Celtics. I will give you Rondo being a better defender but you put Rose's 26 pts and 7 Assists (playoff stats) on the 08 Celtics and they would still have won the championship.

This year Rondo has definitely proven how good he is. He has been a beast in the playoffs and been the Celtics best player. But Rose is also a beast. Him and Rondo will both be top 5 point guards for a long time to come.

[quote name='bg88']I will preface this by saying I'm a Bulls fan but I think you're really selling Rose short here. Rondo is definitely more of a true point guard and Rose is more of a scoring point guard. IMO Rose is the best point guard in the league at driving to the basket. Rondo I would say would be 2nd.
[/quote]
I would agree with that.

[quote name='bg88']On many occasions this year I watched Rose take over games and carry the Bulls to wins. Even in the playoff series against the Cavs this year Rose played really well. He averaged 26 pts and 7 assists per game. This year it was upon Rose to carry the Bulls. He was the reason they made the playoffs. I don't even know who their 2nd best player is......Deng or Noah. [/quote]
Thats what shooting point guards do though, they have to carry teams because they can't make their teammates better like a true point guard should. I wouldn't say that Rose will never figure out how to do that but he has never done that.

[quote name='bg88']I completely disagree about the 2010 Rose on the 08 Celtics. I will give you Rondo being a better defender but you put Rose's 26 pts and 7 Assists (playoff stats) on the 08 Celtics and they would still have won the championship.[/quote]
If Rose is putting up 26 on the Celtics then Pierce, Allen, and KG's numbers all suffer because they're not getting the ball. He scored 26 per game but he needed 25 shots per game to do that. Thats not good! Nobody on the Celtics is taking more than 13 a game. Even Kobe and LeBron don't jack up 25 a game, and Kobe's a much better player when he's not taking a ton of shots.

The job of a point guard is to create offense, Rose right now mostly creates offense for himself. Maybe he'd figure it out after a couple of years with better teammates but the way he plays now, he'd hold back other shooters as Iverson did to Carmelo.

I'm not trying to rip Rose here but inefficient volume shooting point guards don't win in the NBA. He needs to become more than that, I think he can but its going to be hard. Some guys decide that they're satisfied playing that way and never change, the sooner Rose gets better players around him that he can pass to, the better. He would be unstoppable if he decided to be a facilitator first, he could absolutely get other guys open with his ability.

He's certainly in the discussion with Rondo, Paul, Williams, Westbrook, etc. Don't get me wrong. Rondo has just as many deficiencies in his game as Rose does, but he's better in the areas that are more important for point guards that need to do more than just score.

[quote name='dafoomie']

He's certainly in the discussion with Rondo, Paul, Williams, Westbrook, etc. Don't get me wrong. Rondo has just as many deficiencies in his game as Rose does, but he's better in the areas that are more important for point guards that need to do more than just score.[/QUOTE]

I think once he gets some help, he'll shoot less. He was a fairly hesitant shooter his first year, it wasn't until this year that he was shooting more because no one else on the Bulls can make a basket. Only real knock I have on Rondo is his free throw shooting.

I definitely agree with you that for Rose's development, it would be best to get at least one really good player alongside him sooner rather than later. I am praying that the Bulls can land a top tier free agent since they could afford to. Rose has the potential to become a good facilitator but no one can say for sure if he will be. At least he is still very young. I see what you're saying about if Rose is scoring 26 then someone else would be scoring less.

Like I said hopefully this next season Rose will have a real good option to play alongside of. Rose definitely does have deficiencies in his game, although I am excited at how much he improved this season. Its kind of funny how Rose and Rondo excel at what the other isn't as great with their game. If you could combine their talents you would have one hell of a point guard.

I see no reason why the Bulls wouldn't get a good player this offseason, unless they're being cheap again. They're getting a very good coach and they'll be a good defensive team by the all star break.

Ok, I am going to put this here just because all of the sports fans are in this thread for the moment.

I fucking hate when you miss try to tape/DVR a game and you do a great job all day of avoiding all info about it just to have it ruined by the one fucking idiot who instinctively has to tell what happened.

And its always that fucking guy who constantly says hes doesnt even follow sports too. They never seem to grasp quickly enough why I am watching a game that was played a day ago. I shield myself away from the entire world and they always bob in mouth open ready to spill what they heard on the god damn radio as they were flipping through stations..."dddduuuurrrrr its crazy how me made that buzzer beater in OT huh dduuurrrr duururur."

And its always important games.

I always ask if they saw the game before I mention any details. I used to work nights and I'd have to tape everything.

At least he spared you from watching 3 hours of soccer.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ok, I am going to put this here just because all of the sports fans are in this thread for the moment.

I fucking hate when you miss try to tape/DVR a game and you do a great job all day of avoiding all info about it just to have it ruined by the one fucking idiot who instinctively has to tell what happened.

And its always that fucking guy who constantly says hes doesnt even follow sports too. They never seem to grasp quickly enough why I am watching a game that was played a day ago. I shield myself away from the entire world and they always bob in mouth open ready to spill what they heard on the god damn radio as they were flipping through stations..."dddduuuurrrrr its crazy how me made that buzzer beater in OT huh dduuurrrr duururur."

And its always important games.[/QUOTE]

I feel for you man. fuck those guys.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Just for that snide comment I hope KG trips over Ray Allen and they fall head first into Rondos crotch.[/QUOTE]

What good would that do? To really change the outcome of a game, and thus hurt dafoomie, it'd have to be Davis and Robinson getting hosed. The Lakers can beat KG, Allen, and Rondo just fine :roll:

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ok, I am going to put this here just because all of the sports fans are in this thread for the moment.

I hate when that happens. Even worse is when you try to tape it and it doesn't work for some reason. Or the power goes out when you're watching it. Then you don't get to see it and someone ends up telling you.

When I tape games, I turn off my phone so I don't get that random text message that I know will come. Granted at the same time, I watch the game when I get back no matter how late.

Meh, I am over it now. It just sucks when you look forward to a game all day and you make a huge amount of effort to avoid everything all for not.

The problem is even thinking that it wont get spoiled for you.

Sweet I'm gonna be able to watch tonights game. Thought I might be shipping overseas in a few hours but my flight got pushed back to Tuesday

[quote name='jlarlee']Sweet I'm gonna be able to watch tonights game. Thought I might be shipping overseas in a few hours but my flight got pushed back to Tuesday[/QUOTE]

THEBOX.jpg

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Kobe can't reasonably be expected to do much more than he already is.[/QUOTE]

But he still hasn't had one of those games in this series.

41-37 so far for the Celtics. Lakers need to learn how to rebound as Gasol just scored 2 points for the Celtics by tipping a ball into their basket.

Gotta be happy to be up if you're the Celtics. At the same time, the Lakers should be pleased as well since the Celtics were shooting lights out and they still kept it close by committing fewer turnovers and getting to the line.

Good half, anything could happen from here.

If I see another Lakers flop or non-foul called on the Celtics I'm going to flip. So far another bad officiating game. 3 free shots for Fisher on a flop, 1 free shot for Kobe on Artest flop, Perkins lucky to not get called on Gasol flop, 2 points taken away from Rondo on non-foul on offensive layup. I know I'm forgetting a few more. Only saw 1 play the Celtics benefited from that they shouldn't have, when Pierce held Artest. It's good the Celtics are playing so well aside from a small disparity in turnovers.

Lakers
Totals Min PTS FG 3PTS FT PF TO OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK
39 14 - 42 4 - 8 7 - 9 7 5 8 8 16 7 6 0
Percentages 33.3% 50.0% 77.8%

Celtics
Totals Min PTS FG 3PTS FT PF TO OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK
45 21 - 32 1 - 4 2 - 2 9 10 2 18 20 9 3 3
Percentages 65.6% 25.0% 100.0%

im not the one bitching about refs AGAIN even when the celtics are winning, im talking about flops in general don't turn a blind eye when anyone on celtics do it but when lakers do it start crying and crying

Your just sad you're losing even when the calls are going your way. Celtics would have a 12 point lead just from the calls I mentioned had they been correct. Not including the other calls as well as the momentum. Haven't seen any Celtics flops this game. I think the Lakers do that quite a bit more than the Celtics.

Dude just stfu already nobody cares about your dumbass gripes against the nba refs but you.

You act like Celtics are just this team of saints that never do anything wrong but truth of the matter is they get away with ALOT just as much la does if not more

Kobe with 17 points through 6 minutes in the 3rd quarter alone. Guy just hit a 35 foot 3 pointer it looked like. Lakers still cant play defense and trail by 8 minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back