Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of drops today. hawx2 from 20 to 6. lots of 30's like hot pursuit, portal, mortal kombat and brink all went down $5 to 25. i have to get the plat on hawx2 tonite cuz i forgot to lock it in sooner then the 15th, doh.

Man, glad i traded in Fable 3 last week.

Either way, decided to trade in Ridge Racer and Pilot Wing's for 20$ each today, got a feeling they are gonna drop real soon (Especially Ridge Racer).

It looks like the BB trade-in party is over. It was a nice option while it lasted. Wish I dumped Split Second, it went from $20 to $8, but just about everything went way down. They probably were bombarded with year-old titles where they were paying $20 or $30, and finally came to their senses with today's intense overcorrection.

Then.
180px-Goose.jpg

Now.
goose-that-laid-2-960x1024.jpg

[quote name='thedream77']It looks like the BB trade-in party is over. It was a nice option while it lasted. Wish I dumped Split Second, it went from $20 to $8, but just about everything went way down. They probably were bombarded with year-old titles where they were paying $20 or $30, and finally came to their senses with today's intense overcorrection.[/QUOTE]

And then when they realize that nobody's sending them games when BB is offering GS trade in values, plus a 4-week wait for the payout (or the hassle of BB trading -- yes I complain about it a lot, hurr hurr hurr, but nobody can deny that trading in video games at GS is a lot less time intensive than BB), they will realize they need to jump it back up.

I think these price drops happen all the time. Just need to be patient but yea waiting for gc to be mailed is a PITA. Still waiting on a $20 gc from a trade-in 2-2.5weeks ago. Received $75 gc from a trade in store and converted it already in less than a day. That's the only distinct advantage with BB, atleast you can go in-store if possible.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Man, glad i traded in Fable 3 last week.
[/QUOTE]

Fable 3 is $25 still, might want to lock it in if anyone's thinking about getting rid of it. There are still a few games to watch out for flipping, sucks God of War 3 and Battlefield BC2 went down to $7 or $8 right before the blockbuster deal though.

[quote name='Stimes']Fable 3 is $25 still, might want to lock it in if anyone's thinking about getting rid of it. There are still a few games to watch out for flipping, sucks God of War 3 and Battlefield BC2 went down to $7 or $8 right before the blockbuster deal though.[/QUOTE]

Why's the collectors edition 15$ then? O_O

[quote name='dgwillia006']Why's the collectors edition 15$ then? O_O[/QUOTE]

I saw that, weird. I wonder if you just traded in the disc with no case you could get $25 for it.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Why's the collectors edition 15$ then? O_O[/QUOTE]

what happens all the time. The collectors edition gets less than the regular one. Force unleashed 2 CE was $9 for a while when the regular version was $25.

[quote name='confoosious']what happens all the time. The collectors edition gets less than the regular one. Force unleashed 2 CE was $9 for a while when the regular version was $25.[/QUOTE]

Then why is Star War the Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Eddition $25?

On the shipping label Best Buy gives you, is there a number for information on tracking through the Postal Service? The only number I could find seems to be the return number.

And when I type in that number, I get:
"Service(s): Parcel Return Service
Status: Picked Up and Processed by Agent (which is listed at my location)".

[quote name='Stimes']Then why is Star War the Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Eddition $25?[/QUOTE]

Because that's not a collectors edition, that was an Ultimate Edition of sorts that is extremely rare now. If they didn't give $25 they would never have anyone trade it in, even at $25 though I doubt anyone would trade it into there.

yeah but they rarely go up. only ones i saw go up were like halo reach and dead rising 2 and de blob2. they dropped to 25/16 a few weeks ago, but then bestbuy tried to match the trade 2 for 50 la noire deal from gamestop so they bumped them all back to 30. seems they dropped them all down again. still thinking of trading in nfs hp, mk, portal 2, and crysis 2 for 30 while i have them locked in, but i may just keep them all.
i need to finish hawx2 and MoH tho and trade in asap, im not going from 20 to 6-8 on those. also gotta send in my sports champions. wish the tivs would have held a lil longer ;)

[quote name='Stimes']Then why is Star War the Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Eddition $25?[/QUOTE]

is that seriously a question? obviously the CE getting less is not gonna be true for rare packages.

[quote name='nas6034']I think these price drops happen all the time. Just need to be patient but yea waiting for gc to be mailed is a PITA. Still waiting on a $20 gc from a trade-in 2-2.5weeks ago. Received $75 gc from a trade in store and converted it already in less than a day. That's the only distinct advantage with BB, atleast you can go in-store if possible.[/QUOTE]

I had something verfied on the 11th (so means I probably mailed it in april) that I am still waiting for too. It's weird that it takes so long -- especially since the whole point of a GC is that people get it and then don't want to "lose" the money on the GC so they overspend (yeah, we don't do that, but that's the point of them).

[quote name='Velo214']yeah but they rarely go up. only ones i saw go up were like halo reach and dead rising 2 and de blob2. they dropped to 25/16 a few weeks ago, but then bestbuy tried to match the trade 2 for 50 la noire deal from gamestop so they bumped them all back to 30. seems they dropped them all down again. still thinking of trading in nfs hp, mk, portal 2, and crysis 2 for 30 while i have them locked in, but i may just keep them all.
i need to finish hawx2 and MoH tho and trade in asap, im not going from 20 to 6-8 on those. also gotta send in my sports champions. wish the tivs would have held a lil longer ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, the whole point of them doing this is to probably eventually have it be more fluid, which they are doing. Obviously this program can't last under the static nature it was before, so it's getting more fluid, and will get more fluid as they figure out how to make it so -- so they will do things like bump TIVs to match GS, etc.

Starting with a 30 dollar TIV for a game BB was selling for 15 bucks and leaving it that way for 2 weeks was never going to work long term unless the sole mission was to somehow use that to cause GS to not have any stock and go out of business.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Because that's not a collectors edition, that was an Ultimate Edition of sorts that is extremely rare now. If they didn't give $25 they would never have anyone trade it in, even at $25 though I doubt anyone would trade it into there.[/QUOTE]
Thanks good to know. I might try selling it on e-bay then if I find it cheap.

[quote name='confoosious']is that seriously a question? obviously the CE getting less is not gonna be true for rare packages.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be a dick about it, yeah I didn't think it should be that high TIV it's a pretty old game an surprised it went for more than force unleashed 2.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Because that's not a collectors edition, that was an Ultimate Edition of sorts that is extremely rare now. If they didn't give $25 they would never have anyone trade it in, even at $25 though I doubt anyone would trade it into there.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 new, sealed
iconps3.gif
Star Wars the Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Editions left and I wouldn't trade them in to BB even for $100 TIV.
I get more on Ebay and from Star Wars collectors since it's new and sealed.
But even opened ones go for more than $25.

I really believe no one has or ever will trade in this game to BB for $25 GC.

Glad I got in the last Hawx 2 I had in hand yesterday, but I would've loved to flip a few more from GS. I was using the 8 $10 off any pre-owned game coupons I got from the PUR deal a few weeks ago to pick up copies for $7.xx. Straight to BB for $20 then onto Amazon in the form of Kindle cards was a great way to launder GS credit to Amazon, at a nice profit, too.

Really bummed about GoW 3, etc...also. I was really looking forward to the BBV sale on Tuesday.

just got like 10 payment processed and 5 verified at the same time. wootwoot.
finally got my kirbys and mickey epics all processed.
n yay, platted hawx 2 so that goes out for 20. finally

Any flip ideas for GS->BBuy? I methodically went through the availability locally and could not find anything. I would like to transfer credit over but with the recent drop there doesnt look like much.

this was sort of answered a few pages back but even though i havent received a confirmation email i should be ok? i checked the tracking and it says it was delivered but on bestbuytradein.com it says waiting to be recieved. just want to make sure as long as its delivered in 14 days and not punched in within 14 days or i will be out a lot of money. and yea, looks like theres no good gs->bb conversions right now.

[quote name='ahwang826']this was sort of answered a few pages back but even though i havent received a confirmation email i should be ok? i checked the tracking and it says it was delivered but on bestbuytradein.com it says waiting to be recieved. just want to make sure as long as its delivered in 14 days and not punched in within 14 days or i will be out a lot of money. and yea, looks like theres no good gs->bb conversions right now.[/QUOTE]
You should be fine. They are just godawful slow.

[quote name='ahwang826']this was sort of answered a few pages back but even though i havent received a confirmation email i should be ok? i checked the tracking and it says it was delivered but on bestbuytradein.com it says waiting to be recieved. just want to make sure as long as its delivered in 14 days and not punched in within 14 days or i will be out a lot of money. and yea, looks like theres no good gs->bb conversions right now.[/QUOTE]

Did you go through the Postal Service and use the shipping label? Could you tell me where on the shipping label is the tracking number?

The only one I've found tells me
Service(s): Parcel Return Service

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Did you go through the Postal Service and use the shipping label? Could you tell me where on the shipping label is the tracking number?

The only one I've found tells me
Service(s): Parcel Return Service
[/QUOTE]

that is the tracking number. Parcel doesnt provide real tracking, just delivery confirmation.

haha well thats a first, never did a finger print /pic taken trade in 0_o
most likely my last in store trade in for Best Buy or gamestop if they start implementing it in more stores.
bummer trading on best buy.com takes a ton of days to verify /ship the cards out

got $20 for monkey ball 3D, meh

[quote name='edson13']that is the tracking number. Parcel doesnt provide real tracking, just delivery confirmation.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I was worried it was telling me that it was sitting at the post office I dropped it off. :D

[quote name='Raccoon2117']Thanks.

I was worried it was telling me that it was sitting at the post office I dropped it off. :D[/QUOTE]

just fyi for later...tracking number for usps is the numbers on the bottom of the page. you just type them all in at usps.com and the tracking should be there but im guessing you figured it out

guys i have a question, i shipped mine last week or so. but i shipped it via USPS. (left it in my mailbox) the tracker for UPS and USPS hasnt been updated. was i supposed to drop it off at UPS? i remember reading it and they said we can drop it off at UPS.

[quote name='david12795']guys i have a question, i shipped mine last week or so. but i shipped it via USPS. (left it in my mailbox) the tracker for UPS and USPS hasnt been updated. was i supposed to drop it off at UPS? i remember reading it and they said we can drop it off at UPS.[/QUOTE]

You can use either UPS or USPS for BB tradeins

Isn't it actually shipped by UPS? USPS is just for returns.

I gave my package to USPS on accident last year and it was a huge mistake. Took a couple weeks just for USPS to give it to UPS for shipping.

Damn, UPS tracking has my package arriving on day 15 to the MD address. How strict are Dealtree with the 14-day policy. I know they used to give 30 days, but its changed since then. Was locked in for $100 TIV and if instead they give me the current trade values its going to be $40... going to be pissed.

Yes, they took my 3 Sport Champions w/"not for resale" versions. I was worried as I got rejected at the local BB. Takes a while but it seems to work out for me in the end.

[quote name='david12795']i hope USPS will give it to UPS. if not, im screwed..[/QUOTE]

type in the numbers at the bottom of the mailing label into usps.com. it should say processed and picked up by agent which is either bestbuytrade in or more likely the ups guy. but they'll for sure give it to them...you just might not make the 14 day deadline. sucks this monday is a holiday too so has to get there by friday im guessing.

[quote name='ahwang826']type in the numbers at the bottom of the mailing label into usps.com. it should say processed and picked up by agent which is either bestbuytrade in or more likely the ups guy. but they'll for sure give it to them...you just might not make the 14 day deadline. sucks this monday is a holiday too so has to get there by friday im guessing.[/QUOTE]

aw crap, didnt take into account about monday being a holiday. Guess I am SOL on this trade... unless the 14 days is working days, here is hoping.

Well, now it went the other way. I got an e-mail on monday saying they were finally sending my GC for the item they say they received on the 11th. Still nothing :(

[quote name='ahwang826']type in the numbers at the bottom of the mailing label into usps.com. it should say processed and picked up by agent which is either bestbuytrade in or more likely the ups guy. but they'll for sure give it to them...you just might not make the 14 day deadline. sucks this monday is a holiday too so has to get there by friday im guessing.[/QUOTE]

i see the USPS number. is it the number below that says " USPS parcel return SVC"?

andd there is no record label of this item :mad:

maybe i should contact dealtree.

[quote name='david12795']i see the USPS number. is it the number below that says " USPS parcel return SVC"?

andd there is no record label of this item :mad:

maybe i should contact dealtree.[/QUOTE]

contact the USPS office you dropped the package off at. I did so for my mistake and although they couldn't find it they told me that they would give it to UPS. It took a couple weeks in my case but hopefully it won't for anyone else.

I did this right when bestbuy first started the combo UPS/USPS label. I've always gone UPS ever since and never had an issue. Hopefully someone else chimes in with their experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back