Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

Wow, Rusty Cage. I haven't heard that song since RoadRash.

Decent song list, but yeah, WTF is with Avril? And of all of her songs, why that one?

Avril? Let alone "Girlfriend"? Seriously, how the frick does that fit into the game? Unless there is this side romantic game mode about two cars rubbing for "boost love" I don't know about, why the hell would they put that song in the game?

Hell, I would even take this song over that mtv-drama-watching-queen driven rock crap:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx28N21MTr4[/media]
Shit! What do you know? It relates to Burnout. EA should hire me. But I won't accept because they suck ass.

Soundgarden and Swervedriver are straight off of Road Rash (got me hooked on Soundgarden, BTW).

I'm surprised we don't have Paw, or Therapy?

I tried out the demo quickly. I couldn't figure out where the evens were. All I did was use boost and tried to swerve around oncoming cars. Yeah they really did NEED4SPEED-A-LIZE Burnout. Man stupid EA.

Burnout Paradise = DO NOT WANT

Way to screw up a good thing, criterion. Plus Alex Ward is a douchebag.

So they supposedly updated the demo...yet I still find myself running around the streets by myself looking for races...I found a new one in 20min...yay. The more I play this demo the more it pisses me off. What could have been a great game was killed by the open world Criterion created. I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order and just rent this one. I can't support this type of change, revenge was the best, guess its downhill from there.

Listening to the Criterion Games Podcasts, I think I'm starting to understand what they're trying to do with the game. I'm gonna give it a shot at least. I didn't like the Skate demo, but ended up loving the retail game. Here's to hoping the same holds true for Paradise.

I just played the demo for almost an hour [57 min] .

I wish they would raise the camera higher so the horizon line is not at the halfway point of the screen .
This has always kept me from enjoying the Burnout series .

Why don't they just drag the fucking camera behind the car on the ground ?

[quote name='Richlough']I just played the demo for almost an hour [57 min] .

I wish they would raise the camera higher so the horizon line is not at the halfway point of the screen .
This has always kept me from enjoying the Burnout series .

Why don't they just drag the fucking camera behind the car on the ground ?[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, can't you raise the camera wth the left stick?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I hate the fucking announcer...[/quote]

Damn right, he's so annoying that my girlfriend was even laughing at his stuff. He's trying to sound soo cool, and just comes off as a total tool.

Wow... A friend of mine from high school is the lead singer of one of the bands on this soundtrack (innerpartysystem), I think their music is quite good, but I may be biased. Just weird finding that out by reading a thread on CAG

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']If I'm not mistaken, can't you raise the camera wth the left stick?[/QUOTE]

You can but you have to hold it on place. I couldn't play that way.

I tried the PS3 version of the demo .
It seems totally identical , even the controls are mapped the same .

I keep hearing PS3 is the lead SKU , I think that is a bunch of shit .

[quote name='Richlough']I tried the PS3 version of the demo .
It seems totally identical , even the controls are mapped the same .

I keep hearing PS3 is the lead SKU , I think that is a bunch of shit .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried them both as well. I didn't notice any difference other than the download taking 4x as long to download as it did on Live. :lol:

Live: 15 mins.
PSN: 1 hour

Loved the online hated the rest, I couldn't figure out where the hell I was going! What a waste I'll miss you burnout revenge RIP

Looks like I'm gonna be waiting for people's retail impressions. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series, but this demo sucked balls. Yet I got the new EGM today, and it got three 9's and game of the month.

Complete bullshit that Road Rage isn't online though.

Yeah that really is the big question here... is the retail version gonna fix the fundamental flaws present in the demo?

The optimistic view is that having race events at every intersection is gonna "save" the full version of the game. It's the lack of any way to simply re-try an event that really kills the demo. And my first reaction is to assume that this would kill the full game as well - but with events supposedly available at every intersection in the game, this might not be a problem. It's clear that we'll be forced to approach this game in a different way than the rest of the series. It could be brilliant - the type of brilliance that is impossible, by design, to get across in a demo. Or it might just suck.

I guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks!

LOL .

burnout500x470_alt.jpg

Exclusive code now available .

http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat140700050002&type=category

Preorders just suck period. Most of the time the extras you get can be found on the net later (Gears of War extras videos) or just use a cheat code to unlock what someone else paid for as a sucker. Interested in the full game's impressions on you guys as well.

Well after playing the full version for 5 hours, I can honestly say that this title has rental ALL over it. Sad part is that its soooooo close to genuis, if they had kept some of the best parts of Revenge like the Crash mode and the simple matter of RETRYING F'ing races. Driving clear across the city to re-do a race is bad game design. The "Road Rage" events in this open city are the only races I actually had fun in and that was an improvement over Revenge and Takedown. Everything else is EA regressing the series, which as a HUGE Burnout fan makes me sad :( I'm sticking to Flatout: UC and Revenge for my combat racing fix!

"Another downside...cannot simply pause and restart an event. This means that if you race from one side of the map to the other...you'll need to turn around and drive all the way back to the starting point to try again if you lose."

Fail.

"Regardless of that, there isn't a whole lot of skill involved in the Showtimes, aside from seeing how absurdly long you can keep it going. But the required scores are easy as pie to hit, and since there's no planning or anything involved in what you're doing, it feels like most of the challenge (and thereby fun) of the old Crash modes is gone."

Fail.

"When you "unlock" a car after an event, it will then appear somewhere in Paradise City and drive around on its own. In order to fully earn it, you have to find said car and then take it down."

What the f***? So, essentially, I have to drive around a huge ass map, not knowing where the other car is, and take it down with the chance that if I crash or fail to take it down it would drive somewhere else, where then I have to find the damn car again? Seriously.

"IGN Score - 8.8"

I need some damn ritalin. How the hell did IGN give it an 8.8?

Crazy thing is, after a while I just skipped the Races and Burning Lap events/intersections and just did the stunt and road rage ones. After I couldn't find anymore and got bored of finding ramps/shortcuts.... I turned it off. Its still a decent game and I tried to have an open mind about it. But, trust me after exploring the entire city, I would easily give up the open-world design for the old linear design any day of the week. I hope this game sells like shit, so they go back to the Revenge formula. Btw, mega props to them for the graffix and 60 fps however. They outdid themselves in this regard!

I loved the actual racing is the series. I don't have a ton of free time so I'll pass. I don't have time (or want to spend it) to learn a map. Just make freakin courses for racing dammit! Waaaa.

[quote name='Phorty Ounce']I need some damn ritalin. How the hell did IGN give it an 8.8?[/QUOTE]I agree, the final score seems way too forgiving. The review basically confirms everyone's worst fears about the game (tons of backtracking to retry any event, constantly having to refer to the map during a race, disappointing crash mode, etc.) and yet the score is pretty glowing.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I agree, the final score seems way too forgiving. The review basically confirms everyone's worst fears about the game (tons of backtracking to retry any event, constantly having to refer to the map during a race, disappointing crash mode, etc.) and yet the score is pretty glowing.[/QUOTE]

It's the same in EGM. They point out all the same flaws, yet.... 9.0! 9.0! 9.0! wtf?
I think Cheapy's theory is in effect here. The franchise probably gets extra points because 'Burnout' is in the title.

i'm actually confused by these reviews based on the scores vs. what is said. I thought the game informer review was actually very positive besides one complaint, crash mode. I don't know that this game is getting fair reviews. IGN seems to not want to make it all about crash mode and inflates the score and GI deflates based on the lack of crash mode. I wonder what this game would score out of the context that it is a burnout game. Either way, it's looking more like a rental than a purchase.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I agree, the final score seems way too forgiving. The review basically confirms everyone's worst fears about the game (tons of backtracking to retry any event, constantly having to refer to the map during a race, disappointing crash mode, etc.) and yet the score is pretty glowing.[/QUOTE]
I was going to get the game based on the fact that I love the Burnout series even though I did not have the greatest time with the demo. But with the no restarting during races and having to constantly refer to the map I will just wait for a price drop. I still don't understand why reviewers are giving this such a high score. It seems as though the things they added have made the series worse.

In the full version can you change the camera angle? I had to hold the right stick up to get the camera where I was confortable driving. It seemed to snap back down too low behind the car for me.

I can get over the not being able to restart considering how awesome it is to just explore. There are countless events so if i don't win one, i'll just drive over a block or two and try another. Not that big of a deal.

while i enjoyed the crash mode in previous versions, its not a deal breaker for me..

after playing the demo it seems incredibly hard to just pick up a race and play (what cheapyd was talking about on the podcast) the reason I loved 3 and revenge for the easy way to pull into a fun race (online or not) fast.. this just seems more and more like a NFSU game.. which i did not like.. I hope this isn't what future burnout games are like because I may just opt to not get this... I don't like not having an easy restart of races.. thats just something that i did i found the best gaming ever was just trying to finish some of the courses on burnout 3.

Can anyone else give further impressions of Showtime mode? It was briefly shown in the IGN video review and it doesn't draw me in the least bit. It looks horribly tacky the way the car seems to bounce and move after losing momentum. That was part of the fun of past Crash Modes--getting your car into the right position with the last bit of kinetic energy left to get a few more crashes and the explosion to get you going again.

[quote name='moonknight25']Well after playing the full version for 5 hours, I can honestly say that this title has rental ALL over it. Sad part is that its soooooo close to genuis, if they had kept some of the best parts of Revenge like the Crash mode and the simple matter of RETRYING F'ing races. Driving clear across the city to re-do a race is bad game design. The "Road Rage" events in this open city are the only races I actually had fun in and that was an improvement over Revenge and Takedown. Everything else is EA regressing the series, which as a HUGE Burnout fan makes me sad :( I'm sticking to Flatout: UC and Revenge for my combat racing fix![/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I'll definately be cancelling my preorder...I might even get NFS: ProStreet

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Can anyone else give further impressions of Showtime mode? It was briefly shown in the IGN video review and it doesn't draw me in the least bit. It looks horribly tacky the way the car seems to bounce and move after losing momentum. That was part of the fun of past Crash Modes--getting your car into the right position with the last bit of kinetic energy left to get a few more crashes and the explosion to get you going again.[/quote]

The first time I did Showtime mode it was really fun....untill I realized that the cars just appear from thin air and luck not skill determines your combo. Your score depends largely on the bus appearing which gives you a multipier. Sometimes you will get around 10 of them, other times zero. Which makes high scores a freaking joke. I made a few million on a street downtown and stopped just because I was bored with it. There is no comparision to Crash mode at all....not even close!:wall:

bread's done
Back