Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks for the tip, I'll definately be cancelling my preorder...I might even get NFS: ProStreet[/QUOTE]

That didn't get very good reviews, either.

It seems EA hit a pinnacle with Most Wanted and Revenge.

[quote name='Santurio']So, what I'm getting is that this game is a definite "no- purchase"?[/quote]
At the very, very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY least it is a purchase at

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That didn't get very good reviews, either.

It seems EA hit a pinnacle with Most Wanted and Revenge.[/quote]

Well fuck it then...guess I won't have a decent racer till Midnight Club: LA...and that's if they don't fuck it up too.

Why would the creators think that we want another GTA car type game -- it's an arcade racer for heavens sake...pick your car, race, move up in rank, open new cars, keep going, etc...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well fuck it then...guess I won't have a decent racer till Midnight Club: LA...and that's if they don't fuck it up too.[/QUOTE]

MC:LA looks to be a lot like Test Drive but better .
I'm definitely getting it .

The commercial makes it look good, but I wasn't a fan of the demo.

Of course, it's the first time I have tried the Burnout series. I think I may rent Revenge and see how it is.

[quote name='sp00ge']Kudos to EA for ruining yet another established franchise.[/QUOTE]

That's it, right there. I've been playing burnout since Part 2 on the xbox. And this is a no buy from me. It's not even bargin bin CC 8 bucks worthy.

No crash mode, I have to do extra work after unlocking cars and you make getting 100% even harder? And I have to learn the whole map or I'm SOL?

How the F are you supposed to play online and have any dream beat those kids who have 40 hours a week to learn every shortcut/jump in the game?

And what about when you have friends over and they keep crashing and crashing because they don't know the layout of the city?

Yeah, Burnout Paradise has literally made me a little bit depressed.

Burnout has been a very important game franchise to me these past years. It has always just been a game I can turn on, that cheers me up that I can just relax and play. Basically, the game was fun.

Now, like said before, it's just Test Drive meets NFS. This isn't Burnout. I'd even go as far as saying it'd be a better idea to pick up Dominator (which is a bit underrated) over Paradise.

Damn, EA. At least we can count on them to give us awesome full, cover to back cover, black and white instruction manuals forever!

Been playing for a few hours, and its enjoyable.

The open world thing doesn't bother me too much because 1) theres something to do on every street corner and 2) you can 'showtime' or run into new cars on your way to another race.

[quote name='TFN']Been playing for a few hours, and its enjoyable.

The open world thing doesn't bother me too much because 1) theres something to do on every street corner and 2) you can 'showtime' or run into new cars on your way to another race.[/QUOTE]
Do you find yourself having to refer to the map a lot during the races as some of the reviews have stated?

[quote name='DomLando']Do you find yourself having to refer to the map a lot during the races as some of the reviews have stated?[/quote]

Not at all. The AI usually keeps up with you as you take them down, and the map has a marker stating where you need to go. As you start up the race, it gives you a good 30 seconds or so to see where you should go, and as you come up on different streets with the best route to take, the street name will blink on which side you should take.

The music on the game sucks the dicks of 1,000 men, but hook up a flash drive/ipod with your favorite tunes and you've got that remedied. Reminds me a lot of Midnight Club 3, except prettier.

[quote name='sp00ge']Kudos to EA for ruining yet another established franchise.[/quote]
:lol: That's the joke Criterion makes on their podcast whenever they've done something somebody doesn't like with Paradise.

Criterion makes the game they want to make, so EA didn't ruin anything. Blame Criterion for ruining the game they made, if anything.

The Burnout 3 servers are still online, so yeah, if you download the game, it'll work online as well.

As for EA fucking things up with the franchise - EA's owned Criterion since Burnout 3. So if they didn't fuck it up with 3, and didn't fuck it up with Revenge, then why start now?

Odd as it is to stick up for EA, if you don't like Paradise, blame Criterion.

I'm new to the burnout series and after playing the demo I found this game VERY enjoyable, simply the fact of being able to race around a city doing crazy stunts makes me want to buy this game, but after hearing all the bad reviews given by fellow CAG's I don't know if I should buy this game still, I just watched the IGN review and it seems that this is a VERY solid game, except for one or two features that are dissapointing(not being able to restart races), but one bad feature doesn't mean you should pass up a whole game, and you can't expect a series to not ever change

[quote name='urzishra14']did anyone pick up Burnout 3 on the XBLA? does it have the online modes? or were they taken down a while ago?[/quote]

Yes.Burnout 3 has online, but sadly I've only ran into 1 race online thus far.

It's natural to resist change... give the open world idea some time guys. I applaud them for at least trying something different. For those of you that want the same old, go play any other racing game out there (Revenge, FlatOut, Motorstorm, etc.). Or download Burnout 3. I'm glad they didn't do just Revenge + better graphics.

That being said, there are two things I'm really upset about: the lack of split-screen play and a crash mode. These two things have been the defining features of Burnout for me. I'll still buy the game but definitely won't play it as much as I would have otherwise.

Yeah I really still shady about this new burnout. It is fun, but it just doesn''t feel like the 100 hour game I put into the old ones.

[quote name='hec204']I'm new to the burnout series and after playing the demo I found this game VERY enjoyable, simply the fact of being able to race around a city doing crazy stunts makes me want to buy this game, but after hearing all the bad reviews given by fellow CAG's I don't know if I should buy this game still, I just watched the IGN review and it seems that this is a VERY solid game, except for one or two features that are dissapointing(not being able to restart races), but one bad feature doesn't mean you should pass up a whole game, and you can't expect a series to not ever change[/quote]

Exactly! We wouldn't have the games we do today if developers didn't try new things. Like the IGN review said, if you lose a race, move on to the next one/closest one. My friend and i messed around online with the demo today, pretty fun though i can almost guarantee that the first patch will fix the way takedowns are scored because we were e-braking near each other and out back ends would hit and someone would get a takedown. I mean, we were brushing against each other and getting takedowns so hopefully that's fixed soon.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']The Burnout 3 servers are still online, so yeah, if you download the game, it'll work online as well.

As for EA fucking things up with the franchise - EA's owned Criterion since Burnout 3. So if they didn't fuck it up with 3, and didn't fuck it up with Revenge, then why start now?

Odd as it is to stick up for EA, if you don't like Paradise, blame Criterion.[/QUOTE]
EA bought Criterion around the end of the Burnout 3 development cycle, so they didn't really have the time to screw anything up in that game besides the music.

Personally, I thought the series was screwed with Revenge. With Traffic checking, half the road became safe. With the crazy aftertouch alterations (explosions) it became a much better strategy to get in front, wreck, blow everybody up, then speed away with full boost. Basically I felt racing in Revenge took no skill. It was a game with top-notch production values that looked awesome, and seeing all the awesome stuff really didn't require playing the game. That is exactly what I expect from an EA game - flash with no substance.

But if Criterion says they've maintained they're creative freedom, so be it. I'll just have to accept that maybe Criterion isn't the infallible developer I thought they might have been.

You know, I think it would have been a good idea for Paradise to have used the same "arrow walls" from the previous games to mark the suggested path, but allowed you to drive through them to make you own route.**

**English professors, please fix this sentence.

[quote name='CokeCola']Personally, I thought the series was screwed with Revenge. With Traffic checking, half the road became safe. With the crazy aftertouch alterations (explosions) it became a much better strategy to get in front, wreck, blow everybody up, then speed away with full boost. Basically I felt racing in Revenge took no skill. [/quote]

Then I guess you were happy to see that none of that is in Paradise, huh?

I don't know about you guys, but I LOVED the demo... I played Burnouts 2 through Revenge, and Paradise might be the best burnout to date. Online is hella fun too.

Definate Day 1 purchase from me. :D

[quote name='Psykoboy2']Then I guess you were happy to see that none of that is in Paradise, huh?[/QUOTE]
Yes!

Now they just need to fix all the other new stuff they added.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Well fuck it then...guess I won't have a decent racer till Midnight Club: LA...and that's if they don't fuck it up too.[/QUOTE]

PGR4 is teh awesome.

OK here's another annoyance worth mentioning... why are the streets so devoid of traffic? Some of the roads in Revenge were packed with rush hour traffic.

[quote name='Aleman']OK here's another annoyance worth mentioning... why are the streets so devoid of traffic? Some of the roads in Revenge were packed with rush hour traffic.[/quote]

Because Alex Ward is an asshole.

[quote name='Aleman']OK here's another annoyance worth mentioning... why are the streets so devoid of traffic? Some of the roads in Revenge were packed with rush hour traffic.[/quote]

Umm, there's plenty of traffic.

If you go into ''Showtime Mode'', the traffic is even worse.

Does anyone happen to have any extras of those steel wheel codes?, I was going to pre-order but it was too late, I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for the code, Thanks.

Ouch. Funny how when you don't pay attention to something for like a minute, you can turn around and it turns into an internet hate festival.

The open world design bugged me a bit in the demo, but I figured in the real game it would feel better. I'm glad I didn't preorder this. Maybe I'll rent or wait for a price drop now.

It's just weird. I pulled up and did some stunt mode thing and it's all "do crashes and loops and combos within the time limit!" and i'm like cool, flips! where!? .. then realize it gives me the entire open world to do it. Which is okay I guess, but makes it tougher. I've driven 35-40 miles in the game and nothing has been repeated yet. Smashed a couple billboards, yaddayadda.. it feels too open, I guess. I don't really know what i'm supposed to do next other than pull up at random traffic lights to initiate races.

That, and during the actual races, the AI follows a set path, but you can take shortcuts.. the problem is, nothing is really roped off and the map is pretty complex, so what you think is a shortcut is really just taking you further away.. it's pretty hard to follow.

So yeah, if you guys are on the fence.. I wouldn't bother with it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think the only thing Criterion is really guilty of here is quite simply, getting over-elegant with their ambitions...[/quote]

I wouldn't disagree with you. That's exactly what it feels like.

Wow. It's going to be tough explaining to my 7 year old son that all of these months of looking forward to a new Burnout game may have been in vain, since Daddy isn't going to buy it. It may be worth the $60 just to avoid letting him down. He would probably dig the open world, and not care about initiating a race. What to do? I am severely torn.

[quote name='SynGamer']Exactly! We wouldn't have the games we do today if developers didn't try new things. Like the IGN review said, if you lose a race, move on to the next one/closest one. [/QUOTE]

There's change (traffic checking, crash mode, showtime, etc.) and then there is throwing out everything that made your franchise famous in the first place.

Personally, I don't want to go on to the next race. I want to retry the one I did, find the best route and perfect it while it's fresh in my mind before I move on. I think that's the biggest crux of the matter. I think people would be more open to the open world if there was still a "retry" option. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Any chains selling Burnout early? I am heading to the city today to check out clearance deals and wondering if Target, Walmart, ToysRus, BestBuy, or Circuit City are selling this game early.

[quote name='gamer4432']Any chains selling Burnout early? I am heading to the city today to check out clearance deals and wondering if Target, Walmart, ToysRus, BestBuy, or Circuit City are selling this game early.[/quote]

Some Best Buys are.

After playing it a few more hours and doing some races, it's growing on me. I've earned a few new cars. The omission of traffic checking is a huge downer, it was my favorite part in Burnout Revenge. Regarding the "multiple paths to take" during a race.. at the top, as you're driving, a street sign will pop up to the left or right, flash and make a noise like a blinker - this is telling you which way to go. As long as you follow that, you'll get to the finish line.

There's two issues I have, though: One- the map. It's small, and hitting the back button brings it up, and you can find the nearest gas station, junk yard, etc, but there doesn't appear to be a way to actually MARK it on your map and have the game lead you there via the method above.

Two - they completely missed the ball for some INSANE cop chases in this game as Paradise City seems to be completely lawless. One of my favorite parts of NFS:MW was the cop chases. The lack of them in a game about breakneck speed set in a wide open city is severely disappointing. It could've been an option you could toggle on, at the very least.

[quote name='Corvin']I want to retry the one I did, find the best route and perfect it while it's fresh in my mind before I move on. I think that's the biggest crux of the matter. I think people would be more open to the open world if there was still a "retry" option. That way you get the best of both worlds.[/quote]

I agree with putting the option in there, but it's not so I'll have to get around it and make the best of what I've got.

When I did the race in the demo for the very first time, I totally went the wrong way, taking a turn here or there thinking I would find a quicker route to the finish line. Come to find out, that race isn't long enough to warrent any kind of exploration or risk taking. Still, I lost the race my first try and on the way back to try again, I looked for a better route (the best route for that race, by the way, is the main path the AI takes)...something that will probably be done a few times in the full game and on the longer races.

There's also a nice, big, wallpaper-sized version of the map floating around that will probably come in a handy a good while in the beginning before I get that map burned into my brain.

[quote name='Scorch']After playing it a few more hours and doing some races, it's growing on me. [/quote]

How are the "Marked Man" events?

I'd heard those were pretty close to the cop chases from NFS back in the day.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']How are the "Marked Man" events?

I'd heard those were pretty close to the cop chases from NFS back in the day.[/quote]
You're driving and people chase you. That's about it. I couldn't count how many times they tried to fishtail me. They definitely are pretty close, but it's not the same :(

I did just have an awesome moment on a marked man thing, though. They were boxing me in and I had just passed my street. They were on either side of me. I slammed on my e-brake for a split second, they roared past me, then I hit the nitro, slammed on my e-brake, hit the nitro and took off in the other direction, went down the road I needed to and won the event.

//edit: Just had a takedown challenge.. it was intense. Got 25 takedowns in 3 minutes. The target was 3 :D

Oh, sweet! I just had a wreck, and for some reason, it switched to Showtime mode (essentially crash mode) and I was able to hit A to bump my wreckage around.

You can get outside of the boundaries in the demo!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qxt6VRu1Aec

Just tried it on the US 360 demo, it works. Hard to do (and be careful not to wreck outside of the map!) but it does work. You can go pretty far but eventually you'll get a disc read error and get booted to the dashboard.

[quote name='Kromax']Wow. It's going to be tough explaining to my 7 year old son that all of these months of looking forward to a new Burnout game may have been in vain, since Daddy isn't going to buy it. It may be worth the $60 just to avoid letting him down. He would probably dig the open world, and not care about initiating a race. What to do? I am severely torn.[/quote]

Get him Flatout: UC instead....its the REAL sequel to Revenge

bread's done
Back