CAG PSN Gamesharing #2 - Find/Create a Gameshare Group & Gameshare FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea I guess that makes sense.. but thats why I dont get in on a million different little gameshares.. if someone can't afford $9 then they shouldn't have a PS3 haha but when the game has ongoing DLC's like Killzone 3 will.. Borderlands, Bioshock 2, etc. Then it's worth it to do a long term share for a specific game.

Mortal Kombat I'll definitely be doing because I can't get the DLC's any other way (as of yet)

And there doesn't seem to be any Need for Speed fans on this thread.. I've asked numerous times

Everyone doesn't keep what they buy or download shares ASAP. For example, it'd be nice to wait six months to buy all the Mortal Kombat costumes, but this topic doesn't work like that. You have a small window to grab something that interests you. Only having 16 slots compounds the problem. I just bought a share I've never seen here (Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds DLC). I don't know what will happen to it and might've wasted a few dollars. There's plenty of reason for concern.

[quote name='GirlsRscandalouz']yea I guess that makes sense.. but thats why I dont get in on a million different little gameshares.. if someone can't afford $9 then they shouldn't have a PS3 haha[/QUOTE]

This is CAG, don't knock people for wanting to save $9, LOL!

InFamous
1 slot available - $6.00 (pending)

Shank
1 slot available - $3.00 (pending)

Mirror's Edge Pure Time Trial DLC
2 slots available - $2.00 each

flOw
3 slots available - $1.60 each

[quote name='GirlsRscandalouz']yea I guess that makes sense.. but thats why I dont get in on a million different little gameshares.. if someone can't afford $9 then they shouldn't have a PS3 haha[/QUOTE]

This is CAG, don't knock people for wanting to save $9, LOL!

ya know... i was thinking.... why couldn't we just add a 1 to all of our gameshare passwords. Wouldn't that be a lot easier than trying to figure out who has what share? does that make sense to anyone else? I think it would help a lot of headaches.

[quote name='meeek']yup, this, or just change the pass, and switch it back to what it was (hosts will need to get busy!)[/QUOTE]

best idea.

[quote name='GirlsRscandalouz']yea I guess that makes sense.. but thats why I dont get in on a million different little gameshares.. if someone can't afford $9 then they shouldn't have a PS3 haha but when the game has ongoing DLC's like Killzone 3 will.. Borderlands, Bioshock 2, etc. Then it's worth it to do a long term share for a specific game.

Mortal Kombat I'll definitely be doing because I can't get the DLC's any other way (as of yet)

And there doesn't seem to be any Need for Speed fans on this thread.. I've asked numerous times[/QUOTE]

As someone said earlier, it's easy to deactivate and resell slots. I save the $9 because it prevents me from spending too much and having a massive backlog. It's a limit of sorts since I have a dedicated paypal account only available for gameshares. It helps me control my spending, but that's just me. I finish a lot of my PSN games as they only take a few hours at most. Anything I want to keep for the long term I buy on my personal account. It's that simple. If you're going on about saving by reselling then just buying gameshares for that cheap doesn't make sense either.

[quote name='meeek']yup, this, or just change the pass, and switch it back to what it was (hosts will need to get busy!)[/QUOTE]

ok, that makes more sense, but it wouldn't neccessarily need to be the host changing and switching back.

true! it's just easier, as we know the host will have a better chance of having kept the info. idk if DOB & security question need to be reset as well, in which case, it's definitely better the host takes charge of this!

[quote name='Just2Dirty']Buying:

Borderlands + All DLC (1 Account)

Selling:

Bioshock 1 DLC $1
Flow $1.50
Prince of Persia HD: SOT $2
[/QUOTE]

I sent 2 messages to this guy AFTER I paid him for Bioshock DLC and he hasn't gotten back to me.

He never replied to my PM's either, but I guess you can give him a break, since psn is down, he might not even be checking cag!

[quote name='meeek']He never replied to my PM's either, but I guess you can give him a break, since psn is down, he might not even be checking cag![/QUOTE]

It showed he was on recently as 5 a.m. today and I have been giving him a break, I paid for it on 4/17.

Dunno if I got a different one, but in the mail I got, they only SUGGEST password change:
"When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or ..."
accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

Yeah, for anyone in any gameshares that I hosted, I may just be doing this.

[quote name='meeek']Dunno if I got a different one, but in the mail I got, they only SUGGEST password change:
"When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or ..."
accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.[/QUOTE]

There was a Q and A I read recently (maybe on IGN) that stated that they were working on the technology to force people to change passwords when they log back in.

Yeah, that same Q&A was originally posted on the Playstation blog. It explicitly states that a password change will be required to sign in to PSN after it comes back online.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.
Central components of the “Welcome Back” program will include:

• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
  • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
  • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.
Online play will be available "this week" and the PS Store will be be "this month" (May)

Also, concerning account passwords:
In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

If details really did get out then I suggest to all my fellow gamesharers that we do change our passwords to something completely different and then PM the change to our shareholders. It's best to be safe then for someone to hijack an account, especially considering that'd be 4 people angry at you.

"In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data. "

And that's where they screw me over....long story short, I need to sign in with one of the gameshare accounts, because the games were accidentally erased when transferring from ps3 to ps3.
Now this is a really old group of which I was not a member of initially, and I doubt that I'll be able to find the original host.
So now I have to cross my fingers that said host will log in and change the password, then put back the original.

Not to mention that all shares will now be unsellable unless the original host does the password change/ same one routine, and I doubt that many hosts will bother to do that :(

really hope I'm reading this wrong....and that it means that any of the 5 people with the account activated can change it

[quote name='charles']"In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data. "

And that's where they screw me over....long story short, I need to sign in with one of the gameshare accounts, because the games were accidentally erased when transferring from ps3 to ps3.
Now this is a really old group of which I was not a member of initially, and I doubt that I'll be able to find the original host.
So now I have to cross my fingers that said host will log in and change the password, then put back the original.

Not to mention that all shares will now be unsellable unless the original host does the password change/ same one routine, and I doubt that many hosts will bother to do that :(

really hope I'm reading this wrong....and that it means that any of the 5 people with the account activated can change it[/QUOTE]

Nope, only the person who originally activated it will be able to change it. Otherwise the hacker could simply change anyone's password if they're one of the 5 allowed machines. I also think you're screwed unless you can find the original host. This is the one of the downsides of gamesharing, independently of this incident.

The best thing to do would be to send a PSN message with your main account to the shared account, then if/when he changes the password he'll hopefully message you

Yeah, I think for the most part, a lot of people will just be SOL if they want to sell shares. Part of the inherent risks of doing this. Kind of like my PS3 breaking and me losing all my shares (which was worse because I couldn't even play all the stuff I bought)

Yikes this is a disaster. A lot of people have sold off shares. It's nearly impossible to keep track of who has each individual share now. I have a list of 20 accounts that I am currently sharing that I spent over $50 on. This is definitely making me reconsider gamesharing...or maybe just have one long term share

I'm more concerned about this bit that may or may not be true.

Originally Posted by jetsetfluken:

Is there a version of the Kaz speech that isn't cut up? I want to see thr whole thing. Not that IDG one. Preferably with subtitles. JP Kaz (and a serious one) is a rare sight.

Sorry, they are going to have to PAY. I know, hard to believe. Seperate accounts on Steam amd XBL have to. Welcome to tme real world, gamesharing is gone now with this new firmware.fuck gamesharing though, us small PSN devs hate you

I came here when I heard about that new activation policy. I think it's gonna end up causing game sharers a major problem unless our content remains usable without logging in, like it did before. We may be able to keep using our current shares but would have problems if we wanted to sell them. As long as I can keep using what I currently have then I can accept that, we've been kinda getting away with this up til now and I always figured they could block gamesharing at any time in the future.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I came here when I heard about that new activation policy. I think it's gonna end up causing game sharers a major problem unless our content remains usable without logging in, like it did before. We may be able to keep using our current shares but would have problems if we wanted to sell them. As long as I can keep using what I currently have then I can accept that, we've been kinda getting away with this up til now and I always figured they could block gamesharing at any time in the future.[/QUOTE]

it won't affect any content you have on your main account that you got from a shared account. I don't see any problem there. Only if you need to access the shared account will this pose a problem

Again this is a problem with share groups in general. If you can't keep communication with the original host then it's not worth getting into that share. That's why I always join shares from established members at forums, and preferably some sort of long term share

With shares usually costing only $2-6 I've always considered the risk of losing accounts worth it in order to pay only 1/5th of the price. Like I said before, we've been getting away with something that is unfair to developers/publishers so if we get screwed out of future shares then I am okay with that as long as I can keep using the ones I currently have.

Ugh.. Most of the concerns I raised ended up being true in this case.

I don't have the information on who has the shares that I started, but I'll try to change them. However, it looks like passwords weren't hashed, only encrypted, so it is possible that the system will not let you change the password back to the original making things more complicated. If it was hashed we should have no problem keeping old passwords, but if they were able to crack the hash, then that is even more damaging for Sony.

Please contact me if I was a host for any groups. I don't remember all of them as I delete login info for slots I hosted, but no longer own and I do not keep data on group members.

So this is why you save your PMs and write down information on the group in a text file. I don't understand why you guys were making groups with fake e-mail addresses anyway.

If gamesharing is "dead" because you're too lazy to take the necessary steps to prevent this from happening well good, let it be "dead."

This thread is 381 pages, and people usually edit their posts when a group is full. It's not that hard to find the host.

I for one will post the e-mail addresses of the accounts I've hosted here once PSN is back online and I've changed the passwords. So feel free to PM me for it if you were in the group (I don't have the 4 other names, YOU contact ME).

[quote name='charles']"In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data. "[/QUOTE]
I don't see "first" in the part in bold, and I think it's relevant...

[quote name='meeek']I don't see "first" in the part in bold, and I think it's relevant...[/QUOTE]

huh? if something is created and activated on a specific system that's implying the first/original system.

[quote name='meeek']I don't see "first" in the part in bold, and I think it's relevant...[/QUOTE]

I agree, there's still some ambiguity as to how this will all work out; also they mention "activated" and not "created"...I'm unsure if they can track tho original creation.

Heck, I had 2 launch day PS3's, and I don't even know on which one of those two I created the accounts first (moot point, since both are YLOD).

I don't get the confusion. You can only reset it on the first system you created the account with. If you don't have that system anymore, or it's deactivated then you will have to confirm the account reset via the email address you signed up with. So unless your email address is also compromised everyone should be able to get back back on PSN. It's pretty much the best solution for preventing any hacker from taking over existing accounts

Yeah, let's just wait until psn is up and running before everyone starts freaking out; but this just seems like a bit of overkill by sony, since they have said that this was all done by only one hacker, and the he was just trying to get the credit card info....
It's not like there's a real risk of hackers taking over our gameshares ;)

I interpret this as being able to change the password on any PS3 that the account is activated on, or if you have access to the email account. I originally thought it was the PS3 that the account was created on until I re-read it a couple of times.

One reason they wouldn't force it to be the PS3 that the account was created on is people sell systems or have them fail and if they no longer have their original PS3 they'd be locked out of all their purchases.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']One reason they wouldn't force it to be the PS3 that the account was created on is people sell systems or have them fail and if they no longer have their original PS3 they'd be locked out of all their purchases.[/QUOTE]

They wouldn't be locked out. That's what the email validation option is there for.

A Sony rep confirmed that you'll be able to password reset on any system the PSN account is activated on, not just the system it was "originally" created on.

[quote name='Buuhan1']If details really did get out then I suggest to all my fellow gamesharers that we do change our passwords to something completely different and then PM the change to our shareholders. It's best to be safe then for someone to hijack an account, especially considering that'd be 4 people angry at you.[/QUOTE]

No Way.. lol now is not the time to get paranoid.. everyone should keep the same passwords as the odds of some hacker deliberately changing the password on a ' full ' gameshare out of ( how many millions? ) quite alot of ps3's are extreeeemly micro slim to none...

same passwords PLEASE

I will say for any of the gamehares I got from people if i get to changing the passwords first they will be the exact same as before. I hope everyone else can do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back