Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

i liked the first part of the recent superman/batman thats worth a read. i also liked the latest superman comic as he continues is walk.thunderolts was definetly awesome and im curious who will get the
vacant spots on the team.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Anyone else read Batman Inc yet?![/QUOTE]

Loved it! Lots of other great Batman related issues. The Return was simply beautiful and has me curious about Leviathan. Batman by Tony Daniel was also good. I really like Dick Grayson as Gothom City's Batman.

Anybody else seen the ads for the Young Justice series on cartoon network? I hadn't even heard about it until today. Looks like what Teen titans should have been.

[quote name='Clak']Anybody else seen the ads for the Young Justice series on cartoon network? I hadn't even heard about it until today. Looks like what Teen titans should have been.[/QUOTE]

its coming on today isnt it? looks like it could be cool.teen titans is going to be crazy with damian on the team and im glad marvel brought back thunderstrike even if its only a miniseries.

I don't really pay much attention to Aquaman, but I don't remember ever seeing Aqualad look like that.

young_justice_poster.jpg

He's the dude in orange.

It is based on the new Aqualad. I remember them mentioning as well that the timeline will try to be a bit current from what is going on in comics as well.

I'm confused. Recently Wolverine became a red eyed vampire in the pages of Uncanny X-Men, and was cured pretty soon because they shut off his healing factor? And then in X-Force he was all vampire-like. What's up with that?

As usual there's too much stuff going on with Wolvie right now it's hard to make any sense of it. I'm not sure if the story lines have any relation.

Finally caught up on all my comics for the time being. I decided to drop Batman & Robin. I think I might drop Uncanny X-Men too since I'm losing interest in that title too.

Anyone got a good reliable site to order from as well?! Looking for single issues but from a reliable site you guys might have use/used.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neocisco']That's probably based on the new Aqualad (arguably the stupidest name in comics) from Brightest Day.[/QUOTE]
Who is the blond girl? Speedy quits in the show, so I assume she's GA's new sidekick.

[quote name='Clak']Who is the blond girl? Speedy quits in the show, so I assume she's GA's new sidekick.[/QUOTE]

probably the chick who has hiv in the comics Speedy - Mia Dearden. i want to know if robin is tim or damian (seems too small to be tim).

Fantastic Four just kicked it up another notch. Jonathan Hickman is probably my favorite writer right now (FF, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Secret Warriors), neck and neck with Matt Fraction's Iron Man.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'm confused. Recently Wolverine became a red eyed vampire in the pages of Uncanny X-Men, and was cured pretty soon because they shut off his healing factor? And then in X-Force he was all vampire-like. What's up with that?[/QUOTE]

Okay:
In Uncanny X-Force he's normal just drawn with red eyes
In X-Men was a vampire
In Wolverine, body demon possessed

Oh, good, that clears it up. ;) Now explain his status on the different Avengers teams he's on. :) To say Wolverine is overexposed is a ridiculous understatement.

[quote name='Clak']Who is the blond girl? Speedy quits in the show, so I assume she's GA's new sidekick.[/QUOTE]

That's Artemis, at least from what I've read around. Since I guess they didn't want to go with Arrowette nor Mia. Who knows really though, I mean that version of Grayson is more like Time and vice versa with Wally being more like Bart. It's weird but I like the show so far. I mean...Zatara even makes an appearance which is already weird as is.

Invincible Iron Man was absolutely amazing this week. It's the first comic that has actually been better than The Walking Dead the week it came out. Fraction and Larocca are one damn awesome creative team.

Scott Snyder and Jock's debut on Detective comics was pretty stellar, too.

[quote name='neocisco']Fantastic Four just kicked it up another notch. Jonathan Hickman is probably my favorite writer right now (FF, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Secret Warriors), neck and neck with Matt Fraction's Iron Man.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear positive remarks about it, can't wait for my issue to arrive. It's difficult to write fresh stories for the FF so he deserves mad props.

I might be the only one but I liked Ramos' art in Big Time. It's dynamic and it fits Spidey well. Brand New Day was inconsiatant with art so hopefully Big Time doesn't follow suit.

And what's up with Ultimate Spider-Man, are they killing him off? I hope not. I have every issue in either TPB or comic form.

Ramos' art has always been less than stellar, but his work on AMS has been amazing especially
Urich brutally murdering Roderick Kingsley
. That's easily one of my best events in any comic this year.

Also, concerning The Death of Spider-Man. I'm not sure what to make. You can't name an arc that and NOT go through with killing him. The Ultimate Universe itself is pretty much lifeless and stale outside of Ultimate Spidey and Ultimate Thor (and thats only a 4 issue series).

[quote name='LXL_Guy']That's Artemis, at least from what I've read around. Since I guess they didn't want to go with Arrowette nor Mia. Who knows really though, I mean that version of Grayson is more like Time and vice versa with Wally being more like Bart. It's weird but I like the show so far. I mean...Zatara even makes an appearance which is already weird as is.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I noticed Zatara, that was weird. I'd rather have Speedy really, Roy is just a better character. I guess they needed another female character though. Maybe Speedy will show up at some later point.

[quote name='GhostShark']Ramos' art has always been less than stellar, but his work on AMS has been amazing especially
Urich brutally murdering Roderick Kingsley
. That's easily one of my best events in any comic this year.

Also, concerning The Death of Spider-Man. I'm not sure what to make. You can't name an arc that and NOT go through with killing him. The Ultimate Universe itself is pretty much lifeless and stale outside of Ultimate Spidey and Ultimate Thor (and thats only a 4 issue series).[/QUOTE]

i think spiderman will die but peter will live on.or he will become a new hero.

^ I could see that happening and it makes sense. SHEILD always said they'd leave him alone until he's an adult. Maybe it's that time for him to drop the Spider-Man moniker and ascend to something else. I just hope he keeps his own comic and not mx him in with the other crappy Ultimate titles.

It's funny, as readers it's been 10 years, but for Ultimate Peter Parker it's been something like 2 years.

And speaking about Ultimate stuff what ever happened to the FF beside Human Torch?

[quote name='Rodimus']^ I could see that happening and it makes sense. SHEILD always said they'd leave him alone until he's an adult. Maybe it's that time for him to drop the Spider-Man moniker and ascend to something else. I just hope he keeps his own comic and not mx him in with the other crappy Ultimate titles.

It's funny, as readers it's been 10 years, but for Ultimate Peter Parker it's been something like 2 years.

And speaking about Ultimate stuff what ever happened to the FF beside Human Torch?[/QUOTE]

ben is human with new powers and reed is evil.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ I could see that happening and it makes sense. SHEILD always said they'd leave him alone until he's an adult. Maybe it's that time for him to drop the Spider-Man moniker and ascend to something else. I just hope he keeps his own comic and not mx him in with the other crappy Ultimate titles.

And speaking about Ultimate stuff what ever happened to the FF beside Human Torch?[/QUOTE]

They are some of the main characters in Ultimate Mystery and will be in Ultimate Doom. Its pretty subpar, honestly.

Just read Ultimate Spider-Man #150. Damn that's a big book. It was really nice to Bagley come back a guest artist. It was a nice touch. Surprised they didn't get Immonen to come back and do a few pages.

Ultimate Universe has been pretty dead (no pun intended) since ultimatum except for Ultimate Spidey. It's sad, because there is so much potential, but they don't want to do anything with it, or they killed everyone off who could make for interesting stories.

I'm dropping Batman & Robin but I still want to read at least 1 Batman book. Any suggestions for someone who doesn't read a lot of DC?

While in a non-comic book thread someone made a remark about not caring about recent comics because the old stuff is the best. It was off topic so I didn't want to get into a whole thing. I love old comics too so the remark didn't really bother me but instead I thought I'd bring the debate into this thread. Do you think the best stories have already been told or do you enjoy recent comics more?

I read Batman 704 (the first one after Batman: The Return) and I really liked it. I probably enjoyed it more than Inc. Detective was OK but definitely not as good as Batman IMO. Finch's book, Dark Knight, is already so late that the first issue has been delayed. The first issue! I wouldn't recommend it solely on the fact that it will only ship quarterly at best.

I just read Batman R.I.P. I'm guessing the next part is Final Crisis which I'll probably skip. What's after that? Battle for the Cowl?

I like all of the Bat titles, Detective is shaping up really well with Snyder handling writing and Jock providing art. The back up James Gordon title is also written by Snyder with fantastic art, just can't remember who. Tony Daniel's Batman is a favorite, hummm, come to think of it they both feature Dick Grayson's version of Batman.

I would also recommend picking up Teen Titans. Damian's inclusion onto the team and his interactions with the other members is priceless!

[quote name='Dante Devil']I like all of the Bat titles, Detective is shaping up really well with Snyder handling writing and Jock providing art. The back up James Gordon title is also written by Snyder with fantastic art, just can't remember who. Tony Daniel's Batman is a favorite, hummm, come to think of it they both feature Dick Grayson's version of Batman.

I would also recommend picking up Teen Titans. Damian's inclusion onto the team and his interactions with the other members is priceless![/QUOTE]

Francesco Francavilla and yeah, Teen Titans is really worth it now with Damian's presence on the team.

[quote name='whoknows']I just read Batman R.I.P. I'm guessing the next part is Final Crisis which I'll probably skip. What's after that? Battle for the Cowl?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the order they go in. Then it's Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn after BftC.

I've been catching up with the Amazing Spider-Man comics(I'm at #647 now) and absolutely hate what they're doing.

Seems like ever since Dark Reign ended, they don't know what they do. They brought back Kraven & Kaine, only to have Kaine become the new Tarantula. Next they explained why MJ & Peter never got married(which was a lame way) in One Moment in Time. Then they used four issues on a baby chase only to find out it's not Norman's kid in Origin of Species.

I know they're planning something different in this "Big Time" story. But from what I've seen in the IGN reviews, it's like an angle done back in the spring where they're just updating old spidey rogue's gallery characters. The series seriously needs a reboot back to the original, cause the new characters they're adding suck.

I've never read a Teen Titan comic but the inclusion of Damien's Robin does sound intriguing. I got the one-shot Batman the Return so I'm ready for the new status quo

As for Spider-Man's "One Moment in Time," it was way out there. It made absolutely no sense. It was a sloppy ending to Brand New Day but did you really expect anything different? However I wouldn't discredit everything after Dark Reign. I really liked Grim Hunt and especially Shed. Pretty dark stuff for Spidey. As for Big Time I don't understand the hate. Three words come to mind: "It's about time." Also I've been dying for a good Venom story and I hope Big Time delivers.

[quote name='Rodimus']As for Spider-Man's "One Moment in Time," it was way out there. It made absolutely no sense. It was a sloppy ending to Brand New Day but did you really expect anything different? However I wouldn't discredit everything after Dark Reign. I really liked Grim Hunt and especially Shed. Pretty dark stuff for Spidey. As for Big Time I don't understand the hate. Three words come to mind: "It's about time." Also I've been dying for a good Venom story and I hope Big Time delivers.[/QUOTE]

Venom wasn't even mentioned in the IGN articles I read. All they mentioned was something about new Spider Slayers and Hobgoblin is back. That and it will tie in with the new Spider-Girl series.

As for the previous stories. Grim Hunt bugged me, since Kraven was one of the one villains that actually stayed dead. I just wish they actually keep one villain that actually stays dead for once. Shed seemed like an attempt to add a bit of Hulk into the Lizard, where they combine elements of Connors & the Lizard.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Venom wasn't even mentioned in the IGN articles I read. All they mentioned was something about new Spider Slayers and Hobgoblin is back. That and it will tie in with the new Spider-Girl series.

As for the previous stories. Grim Hunt bugged me, since Kraven was one of the one villains that actually stayed dead. I just wish they actually keep one villain that actually stays dead for once. Shed seemed like an attempt to add a bit of Hulk into the Lizard, where they combine elements of Connors & the Lizard.[/QUOTE]

Is this a review or a synopsis you're reading? Anyways Venom was mentioned but what I was referring to was more of a foreshadowing to the Scorpion. However it also leaves the Venom symbiote up for grabs so I'm expecting it down the line.

Bringing back characters from the dead is always annoying, but it happens so often I'm used to it. IMO Grim Hunt handled it much better than most.

Yeah, One More Day was the most forced storyline ever, but putting that aside it's been a solid book since The Gauntlet.

Don't listen to IGN reviews. They tend to be very vague and highly biased. I've loved Big Time so far. The new Hobgoblin is awesome.

[quote name='GhostShark']Don't listen to IGN reviews. They tend to be very vague and highly biased. I've loved Big Time so far. The new Hobgoblin is awesome.[/QUOTE]

what he said. big time was awesome and ign reviews tend to be shit. like that review they gave for the newest dbz game where the reviewer complained about having to unlock other characters over time instead of being able to use them at once lol. i only go to ign to see gameplay videos. im excited to s ee how the new spiderman unlimited stories will go as well.

as far as good bat titles go id say batgirl is pretty solid and i like the bat inc concept. id also suggest teen titans since damian is a member its definelty made it a more entertaining read.

was anyone else dissapointed with how the task master series ended? as well as the whole shadowland storyline?

I really love the way the Teen Titans is going back to the Geoff Johns & Mike McKone era. That was a great Teen Titans line up. The lines ups afterwards were bloody awful. So awful that I dropped the title, but now the ship has been corrected with Krul and Scott.

Right now, Justice League needs an overhaul in the worst way. James Robinson sucks ass! Congorilla! Really, Congorilla and Jesse Quick on the JLA! No, you go back to the big 7. Morrison fixed it after years of mediocrity and Robinson has set it back decades!

Now my JLA line up would consist of
Batman: Dick Grayson
Flash: Wally West
Jem, Son of Saturn
Green Lantern: John Stewart
Captain Marvel
Donna Troy dressed as Wonder Woman, not the shitty costume Diana is wearing now. (Hey, we have 2 Captain Americas, 3 Flashes, and 2 Batmen)
Mera

[quote name='lokizz']what he said. big time was awesome and ign reviews tend to be shit. like that review they gave for the newest dbz game where the reviewer complained about having to unlock other characters over time instead of being able to use them at once lol. i only go to ign to see gameplay videos. im excited to s ee how the new spiderman unlimited stories will go as well.

as far as good bat titles go id say batgirl is pretty solid and i like the bat inc concept. id also suggest teen titans since damian is a member its definelty made it a more entertaining read.

was anyone else dissapointed with how the task master series ended? as well as the whole shadowland storyline?[/QUOTE]

I liked the way Taskmaster ended. I see great things in that character's future. As for Shadowland, it was pretty much terrible from day one and it never got any better.

bread's done
Back