Dragon Quest VI - Out Now

[quote name='Demon Soul']Is it bad to power level in this game? I've been told there were level caps or something.[/QUOTE]

Ripped off gamefaqs
Areas Before Cloudsgate Citadel |Level Cap
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Weaver's Peak(Dream World) | 5
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mountain Path(Dream World) | 6
Haggleton(Dream World) | 7
Wellshire(Dream World) | 8
Somnia/Gardsbane Tower(Dream World) | 9
Horse Field(Dream World) | 10
Northern Path to Alltrades Abbey(Dream World) | 11
Underwater Path to Alltrades Abbey(Dream World) | 12
Alltrades Abbey(Dream World) | 13
Alltrades Abbey/Port Haven/Madame Luca's(Real World) | 14
Lucid Grotto(Real World) | 15
Somnia/Amor(Real World) | 16
Cave of Amor(Dream World) | 18
Moonmirror Tower(Real World) | 19
Outside Underkeep(Dream World) | 20
Underkeep(Dream World) | 21
Ghent/Isle of Murdaw/Scrimsley(Real World) | 22
Isle of Murdaw Magma/Hazy Heights(Real World) | 23
Isle of Murdaw Water/Arkbolt(Real World) | 24
Murdaw's Keep/N. of Arkbolt(Real World) | 25
Inland Ocean(Real World) |28?
Well S. of Alltrades(Real World) | 25
Aridea(Dream World) | 25
Inland Ocean(Dream World) |28?
N. of Cloudsgate Citadel/N.E. Islands/ |
Islands N. Mage Tower(Real World) | 26
Howcastle(Real World) | 27
Hallowed Hollow(Real World) | 28
Clearvale/Areas around Clearvale(Dream World/Real World) | 29
Destiny's Drop(Real World) | 30
Castle Swanstone(Real World) | 99
The Spiegelspire(Dream World) | 99
Suit Dreams(Dream World) | 31
Underwater Realm(Real World) | 99
Sunken Ship(Real World) | 99
Undersea Palace(Real World) | 99
Pescado(Real World) | 31
Area Around Slimopolis(Dream World) | 24
Gracos Lair(Real World) | 99
Sorceria(Dream World) | 31
Best-Dressed Contest(Real World) | ??
Castle Graceskull(Real World/Dream World) | 99
Felonia(Real World) | 33
Cryptic Catacombs(Real World) | 99
Mt Snowhere(Real World) | 99
Everfrost Grotto(Real World) | 99
Turnscote(Real World) | 99
Around and Below Weaver's Peak(Real World) | 19
Path to Cloudsgate Citadel(Real World) | 33

Areas After Cloudsgate Citadel |Level Cap
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
All Areas Except The Following(Dream World/Real World) | 99
Dullerton(Real World) | ??
Area Around Slimopolis(Dream World) | 24
Around and Below Weaver's Peak(Real World) | 19
Sorceria(Dream World) | 31
Cloudsgate Citadel(Dream World) | 33
Despairia(Dread Realm) | 24

EDIT: slidecage, when it's requested of you to put information behind spoiler tags, respect your fellow CAGs and do it.

regards,
gwen

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='keithp']Keep that crap out of here, or at LEAST spoiler it!![/QUOTE]
Not to mention it's a fucking giant post. Could this be something we could finally ban him for?

EDIT: Just
renamed my characters to their real names. It's... beautiful!

My gamestop pre-order arrived today and it looks good from playing less than an hour. It'll have to wait until I complete Dragon Age Awakening though.

I finally own the entire DQ series from 1 to 9 now. My ranking not including 6: 2>7>1>8>4>5>9>3

[quote name='laaj']My ranking not including 6: 2>7>1>8>4>5>9>3[/QUOTE]

This is a failure. Unless you are posting them backwards in terms of worst to best. But then that would mean you fail basic math.

Could someone please spoiler that shit? Jesus fuck.

Anyway. Got a call from Gamestop saying they got a plush in for me. That was a nice surprise. :)

And just for fun, my series ranking goes 3>7>4>9>1>2>8. I actually enjoyed 2 a lot but it still ranks after all the others in comparison. I don't get why everyone seems to hate it so much.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is a failure. Unless you are posting them backwards in terms of worst to best. But then that would mean you fail basic math.[/QUOTE]

Well I'll feel same about your list. I feel 2's story is best
meeting descendant of the boss from 1 is classic!
and there are lot of small touches
mirror and the princess
like the epic intro.

I'm not a huge fan of rolling your own classes like the one on 7 but that game came out when I was young (didn't had much money but had lot of free time). I easily spent more than 300 hours on my first playthrough on that game. So mostly 7 is up there because more for nostalgic reasons on my part. If 7 came out today it will rank as one of the worst DQ on my list. I just don't have the time like I used to but money isn't the problem. Life is so cruel.

Londo Mollari: When we first met I had no power and all the choices I could ever want. And now I have all the power I could ever want and no choices at all. No choice at all.

I like 2, honestly have no problem with it. But a lot of people dislike it because of the hard difficulty, which was toned down in the GBC version. That's why I thought your list might be backwards; I'd say a majority list 2 as their least favorite simply because they are pussies.

I don't really like 7 though. But I have no idea how you could possibly rank 3 the lowest.

I guess my ranking would be (not done with 6 yet so not ranking it) from most to least favorite:

1 just isn't a very substantial game, don't really have a problem with it but there's just not much there except for the difficulty (which was toned down greatly on GBC) because of how old it is. I did finish 7, but I'd probably never go through it again.

Did all copies of this come in the recycling symbol DS case?

Also DoK what is better about 3 and 5 that is worse in IX and VIII? Personal preference or something else?

I think I found a really bad glitch.

o I got Carver up to level 5 for the Gadabout job, and when I got 2 battles to the next level, nothing will count toward skilling up. Several other characters have leveled up their jobs while Carver has not. I've fought enemies up to the point and after you meet Terry the first time. So I switched jobs to Martial Artist and everything seemed fine, until I got 2 battles to leveling up to 2 on Martial artist, and the same thing happened. All my other characters are skilling up fine on jobs. Carver is only 1 level higher than Hero (26) other characters are Hero (25), Milly (24) and Nevan (21). I know I'm fighting enemies that are equal in skill level to mine, because everyone else besides Carver are leveling their jobs.

Should I just leave Carver out of my party?
It only affects him. I made the stupid mistake of telling that guy after I killed him as a monster in that town that he was the monster, so he ran off and I can't recruit him to replace Carver.
Has anybody else discovered this? This really sucks. It's SQenix/Nintendo, so I would never expect this. Should I call Nintendo and bitch to them? I would expect it would be in every game.

Yes, mine had the recycling symbol too.

Posted on Nintendo's support forums, so maybe we'll hear something from them.

[quote name='willardhaven']Did all copies of this come in the recycling symbol DS case?

Also DoK what is better about 3 and 5 that is worse in IX and VIII? Personal preference or something else?[/QUOTE]

You all know I like old-school shit. Also the story is much better in 5 than 8, 9, or hell any DQ. I just really love the gameplay and systems of 3-5. And there is some nostalgia in there for 3.

Also, my husband told me another reason why people might hate on 2: the glitches, bugs, and imbalances in the NES version. He said for one late game boss the real danger isn't the boss, as difficult as the game is, but the game crashing on you while fighting it. Also the equipment the Prince gets is far worse than the other two. He mentioned a few other things too, like how some of the best equipment is so randomly hidden that no one could find it without a guide. But I still think most people just bitch because it's hard.

[quote name='2DMention']I think I found a really bad glitch.

o I got Carver up to level 5 for the Gadabout job, and when I got 2 battles to the next level, nothing will count toward skilling up. Several other characters have leveled up their jobs while Carver has not. I've fought enemies up to the point and after you meet Terry the first time. So I switched jobs to Martial Artist and everything seemed fine, until I got 2 battles to leveling up to 2 on Martial artist, and the same thing happened. All my other characters are skilling up fine on jobs. Carver is only 1 level higher than Hero (26) other characters are Hero (25), Milly (24) and Nevan (21). I know I'm fighting enemies that are equal in skill level to mine, because everyone else besides Carver are leveling their jobs.

Should I just leave Carver out of my party?
It only affects him. I made the stupid mistake of telling that guy after I killed him as a monster in that town that he was the monster, so he ran off and I can't recruit him to replace Carver.
Has anybody else discovered this? This really sucks. It's SQenix/Nintendo, so I would never expect this. Should I call Nintendo and bitch to them? I would expect it would be in every game.
[/QUOTE]

WTF, haven't had any issues with it thus far. Why would you make him a Gadabout though? He is obviously a masher.

And man, Hassan/Carver is by far my MVP for damage dealt. Knuckle Sandwich is amazing. The game would be a lot more tedious without him. That would suck incredible amounts of ass to not use him. And seriously, epic fail on
not getting Amos. Seriously, who are you going to use now, Barbara/Ashlynn? :rofl: Now you have no tanks or damage dealers (with the Hassan/Carver glitch), which means no frontline. Normally in a DQ game you can have 1-2 mages/healers in your party but in this game mages are the frailest I've ever seen in a DQ game, so they die very quickly and thus are pretty worthless. So you basically use 2 mashers, the hero, and a healer (Milly or Nevan if you'd really want to use him instead). You're seriously, seriously fucked.

I would just restart at this point. I know none of this is your fault (a glitch and missing something that you would basically need a guide for) but you're missing out on a lot of the game if you continue at this point.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']You all know I like old-school shit. Also the story is much better in 5 than 8, 9, or hell any DQ. I just really love the gameplay and systems of 3-5. And there is some nostalgia in there for 3.

Also, my husband told me another reason why people might hate on 2: the glitches, bugs, and imbalances in the NES version. He said for one late game boss the real danger isn't the boss, as difficult as the game is, but the game crashing on you while fighting it. Also the equipment the Prince gets is far worse than the other two. He mentioned a few other things too, like how some of the best equipment is so randomly hidden that no one could find it without a guide. But I still think most people just bitch because it's hard.[/QUOTE]
It's been at least since the GBC version came out that I played II. I went back to try and re-play it again, and man have II-III aged poorly. I might force myself though. I beat it many many years ago on the NES and don't remember how hard it was. Having a GC with a player or a newish GBA Advance would help a lot too.

WTF, haven't had any issues with it thus far. Why would you make him a Gadabout though? He is obviously a masher.

And man, Hassan/Carver is by far my MVP for damage dealt. Knuckle Sandwich is amazing. The game would be a lot more tedious without him. That would suck incredible amounts of ass to not use him. And seriously, epic fail on
not getting Amos. Seriously, who are you going to use now, Barbara/Ashlynn? :rofl: Now you have no tanks or damage dealers (with the Hassan/Carver glitch), which means no frontline. Normally in a DQ game you can have 1-2 mages/healers in your party but in this game mages are the frailest I've ever seen in a DQ game, so they die very quickly and thus are pretty worthless. So you basically use 2 mashers, the hero, and a healer (Milly or Nevan if you'd really want to use him instead). You're seriously, seriously fucked.

I would just restart at this point. I know none of this is your fault (a glitch and missing something that you would basically need a guide for) but you're missing out on a lot of the game if you continue at this point.
Carver is probably one of the best DD in any RPG I've ever played. Knuckle Sandwich is powerful, but it also misses too much for me. Double up is close damage to it, but if you use it without full HP, you're asking for trouble. You're right, the mages are really weak in this. They can't even survive boss battles. That was really stupid about Amos. I needed another DD. I suppose I could make Milly or Ashlynn one, but they're suited for magic. That's why they're weak; they were weak to begin with, and making them mages makes them that much weaker. I can always us the Slime Knight as a DD, but he probably won't be as good as Amos.

I found out it's not a glitch; like posted above, certain spots cap your job grinding. But Carver hasn't even mastered one job while everybody else has mastered 1-2 because he was so ahead of everybody in level.:cold:

[quote name='2DMention']
I found out it's not a glitch; like posted above, certain spots cap your job grinding. But Carver hasn't even mastered one job while everybody else has mastered 1-2 because he was so ahead of everybody in level.:cold:[/QUOTE]

So when you went to a different area and he started gaining job levels? That's good. But man that system is beyond retarded. You might just want to kill off Hassan so the other characters catch up in level.

And you do get another physical-type character
Terry
but he's not as good as Amos
. You should be able to beat the game though.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So when you went to a different area and he started gaining job levels? That's good. But man that system is beyond retarded. You might just want to kill off Hassan so the other characters catch up in level.

And you do get another physical-type character
Terry
but he's not as good as Amos
. You should be able to beat the game though.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Carver is only like a level or two above everybody else, but it seems to make a huge difference.

I'm liking this game more and more as it goes on. The only knock I have against it is that stupid level cap stuff, but it was only really nasty just beyond where you first got to change jobs.

I just started but I'm enjoying it already. I noticed the party talk feature is in this game as well.

Is IV worth getting? I don't plan on paying $50+ for V and I read that they removed a ton of dialogue from IV.

You may have some luck grabbing DQ5 at some nearby stores that aren't particularly gamer buy destinations. Take KMart for example, which is where I grabbed my copy a couple weekends ago for $40.

Get IV while you can. They mostly removed the party banter text, which isn't essential to the game.

D'oh! While I was at Amor, I didn't Zoom to Somnia while still in the dream state. There wasn't anything particularly different right?

[quote name='willardhaven']
Is IV worth getting? I don't plan on paying $50+ for V and I read that they removed a ton of dialogue from IV.[/QUOTE]

Jesus yes it is. Still one of the best games ever.

And I'd check Kmart for V. One of the ones I went to had multiple copies, still at full MSRP, but still cheaper than the internets. That's another game that's worth getting.

I'll check K-Mart for it this week. If not I guess I'll hit up the trade forums. I wasn't big on Dragon Quest until recently... they do say to retry food every 5 years maybe that holds true for video games too. Granted I will never eat my copies of DQ.

battleslimes.png

Watch out! They may turn into a King Slime!

[quote name='adriley313']why do u need a memory card to play the games on dsi xl
can u create more save files[/QUOTE]

For DSi Ware games (I heard there's a dragon quest one) I think the system has 256M of internal memory.

[quote name='Squarehard']
battleslimes.png

Watch out! They may turn into a King Slime![/QUOTE]

Awesome.

My Slime Quest is finally complete.

Now I have the official number to make a King Slime.

My life mission is fulfilled.

sliming.png

The ring of trust.

photogg.jpg

[quote name='Dead of Knight']But I have no idea how you could possibly rank 3 the lowest.
[/QUOTE]

This is coming from someone who called DQ4 on DS nerfed because they removed NPC party chat. 3 and 9 has no story for your party members other than the main hero. They are all generic create your own types.

3 used to be my all-time favorite, but I don't think it's aged very well.

9 is overrated as far as I'm concerned. It's like 3 in a lot of ways, but tried too hard to be a WRPG for my tastes.

I ended up getting DQ6 for $12.44 at Kmart after a $25 GC there. Then I ended up picking the guide up from Amazon for $5.97 after a $5 GC there and the guide showing up in my gold box (hooray for 3am Amazon-surfing). Now the waiting game begins, since it's supposed to be shipped March 2-4.

Either way, I'll take the set for $18.41 out of pocket. Plus, I have $15 in Kmart SYWR points. :D

[quote name='laaj']This is coming from someone who called DQ4 on DS nerfed because they removed NPC party chat. 3 and 9 has no story for your party members other than the main hero. They are all generic create your own types.[/QUOTE]
hahah, nice

but really, the absence of story in 3 and 9 for party members is often seen as a bad thing.

it's not, really.

the fun of dq has always been the self-contained stories per town, not as it relates to the characters in-game.

and i don't think dq3 has aged badly at all.

imo

6 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 9 > 3 > 7 > 1 > 2
and i still think 7 is very, very good. on a replay i finished the game, not including bonus dungeon, in 40-50 hours. the 200+ hours thing seems exaggerated.

[quote name='keithp']So 6 is better than 5?[/QUOTE]
So far, I like it better. But I'm in the minority since I wasn't so smitted by the story of V like everybody else was. V had no job system, and the pokemoness of it put me off.

and i still think 7 is very, very good. on a replay i finished the game, not including bonus dungeon, in 40-50 hours. the 200+ hours thing seems exaggerated.
7 is excellent, but too many redundant skills. Not that 6 doesn't have it, but that seems like overkill in 7. It also starts out extremely slow. Almost painfully slow. Like so slow, you don't even get into a battle for a couple of hours slow.

To be a completeist, it takes hundreds of hours. When you first play it, it will take at least 100 hours. But once you know what to do, it'll take you 50 hours.

I went back and played III and for some reason got stuck in the 2nd dungeon. I wish I could find the strategy guide for it...

[quote name='2DMention']I went back and played III and for some reason got stuck in the 2nd dungeon. I wish I could find the strategy guide for it...[/QUOTE]

Hehe. DQ3 is one of the only games I've actually drawn a map for. I think it was for one of those early tower dungeons.

Amazon Gold Box deal for $25 today. I knew there was a reason I never pre-order!

@metaly - DW3 is my all time favorite Dragon Warrior game. I played the hell out of that on the NES. I think I have laminated monster/weapon charts and a map for that (reproductions I got from eBay).

Yup, definitely need to grind for the final boss, which is total bullshit. I hate when games do this. Gonna put this aside for a bit and try Radiant Historia.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yup, definitely need to grind for the final boss, which is total bullshit. I hate when games do this. Gonna put this aside for a bit and try Radiant Historia.[/QUOTE]

that is why i now hate Final fantasy 4 heroes of light... the final place you go to STRIPS you of all your crowns and you need to beat the bosses one by one to get a set amount of your crowns back... making the game very hard and just plain stupid

played it around 25 hours and had my people up to level 60s when this happens and said to HELL WITH THIS lol

[quote name='2DMention']7 is excellent, but too many redundant skills. Not that 6 doesn't have it, but that seems like overkill in 7. It also starts out extremely slow. Almost painfully slow. Like so slow, you don't even get into a battle for a couple of hours slow. [/quote]
I agree, however, I think I played 6 before 7, so the class system already felt natural to me.

And yep, it's slow.
And yep, I hate shard hunting and just used a guide.
And the official translation was one of the ugliest ones out there.

But I think as far as individual towns' story goes, 7 is tops. A lot of touching moments, that game has...

[quote name='Blackout']Is the guide worth buying?[/QUOTE]

It's beefy (almost as big as IXs!), and it does a good job except there is one place that I've given up on some of the optional areas because
to get there, it tells you to zoom to Hillburg or something and it isn't a zoom destination even though you've already been there.

Only got like 15 minutes into Radiant Historia when I felt guilty and went back to grind for about an hour and a half while watching a movie. Went from low 30s to upper 30s. That was enough to beat him first try. Watching the ending now.

i have 2 dragon quest 6 guides since i got one on lauch cause amazon said 3 weeks and then they shipped it that night before i cancelled.

get it now while its under $12

[quote name='adriley313']i have 2 dragon quest 6 guides since i got one on lauch cause amazon said 3 weeks and then they shipped it that night before i cancelled.

get it now while its under $12[/QUOTE]

Why? To flip it? The guides for the Super Famicom version on the interwebs are more than sufficient.

[quote name='kainzero']I agree, however, I think I played 6 before 7, so the class system already felt natural to me.

And yep, it's slow.
And yep, I hate shard hunting and just used a guide.
And the official translation was one of the ugliest ones out there.

But I think as far as individual towns' story goes, 7 is tops. A lot of touching moments, that game has...[/QUOTE]

I thought the way 7 structured its story was incredibly clever and allowed a lot of creativity. It was still the same general DQ plot ("Every town has a problem, and by the way there's a demon lord.") but having to revisit each island was a cool twist.

And definitely agreed, many of the towns' stories were quite memorable and sometimes a little shocking. I remember thinking some of the scenes would have much more of an impact if they weren't played out using silly little sprites, but nevertheless I'm still a little haunted by a couple of them. And also all the cutscenes in DQ8 were terrible, so I was wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

[quote name='metaly']And definitely agreed, many of the towns' stories were quite memorable and sometimes a little shocking. I remember thinking some of the scenes would have much more of an impact if they weren't played out using silly little sprites, but nevertheless I'm still a little haunted by a couple of them. And also all the cutscenes in DQ8 were terrible, so I was wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.[/QUOTE]
i dunno what cutscenes you're thinking of, but for me, the cutscene where you get the boat in DQ8 is probably the most memorable cutscene of the entire series for me. it really feels like the series came to life right there. like THAT is dragon quest, discovery and fascination all at once.

as for dq6, i'm fighting
real world murdaw
and yeah. he was as difficult as i remember. what a jerk.

i hate how this is the moment before the game really opens up! the excitement is killing me!

bread's done
Back