Gears of War - General Discussion 2 - Re-release 6/24 w/Maps and Extras (No PC Stuff)

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, I don't think pacing was the right word. It just hasn't pulled me in at this point, nor does the combat system feel all that fun. I dunno.[/QUOTE]

I sort of felt the same way...I am now a bit further than you and I wish I had more time to play it. I think the game has picked up a bit and I'm more into it now than I was at that same point. I also think a lot of the excitement of this game comes from becoming attuned to the controls...its great when you unload your weapon, do an active reload, do a roll, or a cover move and start shooting again. I think my only complaint at this point would be as good as the graphics are the game is very dark and grey for the most part. I'm finding it funny people complained so heavily about Zelda when this game is WAY darker and greyer.

[quote name='jkam']I sort of felt the same way...I am now a bit further than you and I wish I had more time to play it. I think the game has picked up a bit and I'm more into it now than I was at that same point. I also think a lot of the excitement of this game comes from becoming attuned to the controls...its great when you unload your weapon, do an active reload, do a roll, or a cover move and start shooting again. I think my only complaint at this point would be as good as the graphics are the game is very dark and grey for the most part. I'm finding it funny people complained so heavily about Zelda when this game is WAY darker and greyer.[/quote]I have the exact same feelings about the graphics. There are times where I have to look to see if the game is running in black-and-white or not. Your reaction is one I was looking for. I'm not someone who loves to bash a game because every one thinks its great. I loved Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Crackdown, Twilight Princess, etc. I really want to like Gears, but felt myself stalling out a bit. I'll continue on, as I have time, and see how it goes.

Roufuss, we should play sometime. After Easter, when I have a little bit more free time, I'm going to upgrade my live account to gold. Maybe be can throw down something then. The idea of games having CoOp over Live is very intriguing to me, and might make it a lot more fun.

[quote name='daroga']
Roufuss, we should play sometime. After Easter, when I have a little bit more free time, I'm going to upgrade my live account to gold. Maybe be can throw down something then. The idea of games having CoOp over Live is very intriguing to me, and might make it a lot more fun.[/QUOTE]

Definitely... I'm looking forward to it ;) I have barely put any time into the game (I'm just a bit further than you in single player) so it'll be a blast finally playing it co-op.

[quote name='LiquidNight']God, I really hate Warzone.
Too bad it's the easiest way to get the Pistolero and the sniper achievement.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I can't understand how it is so much more popular than execution. I will earn my sniper and pistol in execution because I just can't deal with the warzone bull crap.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, I don't think pacing was the right word. It just hasn't pulled me in at this point, nor does the combat system feel all that fun. I dunno.[/QUOTE]
Don't play it on Casual, and then you'll see some "think fast" combat.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I feel the same way. I can't understand how it is so much more popular than execution. I will earn my sniper and pistol in execution because I just can't deal with the warzone bull crap.[/QUOTE]Have fun with that.
The only way I've gotten a sniper kill in execution is by downing the same guy three times in a row with it. I don't think I've ever gotten someone with the pistol that didn't end up being an execution/curb stomp.

Of course, exclusively using the pistol makes me feel like a huge douchebag, so there's another draw back.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Have fun with that.
The only way I've gotten a sniper kill in execution is by downing the same guy three times in a row with it. I don't think I've ever gotten someone with the pistol that didn't end up being an execution/curb stomp.

Of course, exclusively using the pistol makes me feel like a huge douchebag, so there's another draw back.[/QUOTE]

Getting headshots with the pistol isn't too hard. If you start fighting someone when they have out their lancer and there is distance pull out the pistol and aim for the head. Going for the sniper on gridlock is a good place for this because if someone is standing on the stairs firing the lancer they are primed to get their head taken off.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Have fun with that.

Of course, exclusively using the pistol makes me feel like a huge douchebag, so there's another draw back.[/quote]

Headshots with the snipes count towards both the headshots and snipe kills achievements in execution.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I know it's been asked millions of times before, but any tips or advice for killing RAAM on Insane?[/quote]

He glitches a lot, all you gotta do is keep trying to hit him with the torque bow in the face, after I tried a couple times, he got stuck behind a box or something and stayed there for the rest of the round till he died.

If he doesn't glitch its just running back and forth, if he gets too close run around to the middle of the map and take cover and keep shooting him with the torque bow/sniper combo or 2 torque bows.

I got help when I killed RAAM on insane. I thought I made an earlier post about it - wanted to thank Brak for the torque bow blind fire tip - but I digress. Been trying to finish it by myself. Still trying, more for individual satisfaction. However, i think i have a couple of tips that could help.

I do notice RAAM staying in one place (like LinkinPrime mentioned). I'd like to add to that. It looks like he gets stuck with Dom when RAAM brings him down next to himself and a box, so that takes a little luck. Plus, I don't think he shoots much when he's stuck. Also, you'd have to wait for the bats to leave him to hurt him. At insane, you need 10 open torque bow hits to kill him. You only got 12. With the sniper, you'd need about 20 shots to kill him. You start with 24. so, either you have to be really patient when he's stuck, or, with the torque bow, drive away the bats, then get 2 sniper shots in before they come back. Or, use your 4 grenades to drive away the bats, then hit him with the torque bow. That's gonna take a lot of quick reloading. Can't miss a reload with this setup.

As for the blind fire torque bow shot Brak mentioned earlier (which I thought was pretty helpful, since I never tried it before, though I would say it's 50-50 between that and the help I got - since I still can't finish it myself - a good combination of luck and quick reloading oughta help me through), what I found helpful with increasing your accuracy when he's far away is to start in a blindfire position by holding down the R trigger. You see the bow folding, which indicates the bow tensioning up. When it's about ready to fire, maybe about 2 seconds (depending on how quickly you can aim, maybe you can do it in a second or even less), or when you see the bow arms almost fully folded, press the L trigger to get into an aiming position. That way, you're protected while waiting for the bow to fire, while giving yourself the accuracy at the last second.

Apologies if this has been posted before. Didn't really look into all the posts. But I thought this might help.

After not playing this game for a while, I played a bunch of XBL matches with some friends tonight.

I forgot how much fun 4 on 4 matches were with people who aren't dicks about winning/losing.

Sawing through 3 people on the opposite team, in less than 30 or so seconds was the highlight of the night.

I know JimFoley can back me up on this:

anyone see the Fist icon when killing someone? I've gotten it a few times...

In warzone once I ran up to a downed guy to melee him, but someone shot him before I could hit him. His body flew in the air, and my melee hit him mere miliseconds after the shot. After that the fist icon showed up (and I'm not mixing it up for the execution icon).

oh, and the game gave me the kill.

[quote name='Mattte']It happens when you down some one for the third time with a melee attack.[/QUOTE]

with teh situation described, I got the icon with only meleeing once...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']with teh situation described, I got the icon with only meleeing once...[/QUOTE]
Are you sure he wasn't knocked down a couple of times before you two got in to a tussle?

[quote name='zewone']Are you sure he wasn't knocked down a couple of times before you two got in to a tussle?[/QUOTE]

I did a pistol shooting while coming in knocking the guy down... then all that happened.

I am new to LIVE and am having a hard time figuring out who's voices are associated with which player. I usually do a random matching so i con't know any of the other players.

Also...can players on the oposing team hear what I say? and can i hear what they say? or is communications only between ppl on the same team?

You can only talk to your team during the round and the other team cannot hear you, but after you die you can talk to everyone who is dead. Hit select to see who is talking while in a round.

Does anyone have a code for those exclusive gamerpictures from a while back?

I'd appreciate it. ;)

[quote name='Brak']Does anyone have a code for those exclusive gamerpictures from a while back?

I'd appreciate it. ;)[/QUOTE]

fuck off n00b!!!

[quote name='help1']I want new modes and maps.[/QUOTE]

I know this sounds shallow, but I mainly want new character models... give us some new characters and whatnot...

also, I know it's near impossible, but a vehicle that's drivable online would be a weird mix up.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I know this sounds shallow, but I mainly want new character models... give us some new characters and whatnot...
[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. Is it possible for a team to choose all the same character? I only ask because I thought I played against 2 Coltranes on the same team.

Also how does everyone feel on accidental kills?

Ex. I was playing online, my teammate and I were shooting at the same guy. She downed him and I forgot to stop shooting, therefore accidentally stealing a kill from her. Since friendly fire was on she thanked me by killing me 3 times before our next 3 matches :)

It was pretty entertaining at the beginning of our 4th match, both of us pulled out our shotguns and aimed them at each other. Another teammate stood in the middle and said "Woah woah, calm down guys we're teammates"

Amazing.

[quote name='asianxcore']That would be cool. Is it possible for a team to choose all the same character? I only ask because I thought I played against 2 Coltranes on the same team.

Ex. I was playing online, my teammate and I were shooting at the same guy. She downed him and I forgot to stop shooting, therefore accidentally stealing a kill from her. Since friendly fire was on she thanked me by killing me 3 times before our next 3 matches :)

It was pretty entertaining at the beginning of our 4th match, both of us pulled out our shotguns and aimed them at each other. Another teammate stood in the middle and said "Woah woah, calm down guys we're teammates"

Amazing.[/QUOTE]

freindly fire always ends ugly...

as for playing the same character... yeah, it's annoying personally.

Hi. I finished the game on casual, and am playing it now on hardcore.

Recently I started playing ranked matches online and I'm mostly getting my butt wiped from one end of the map to the other so any tips are appreciated :)

Question, often when I try to entery a quick online match or even sometimes after playing a bit - I "loose connection" but I don't think I really am. Do the hosts have the ability to kick noobs if they wish? If so, how rude - I have to learn some way.

TexTuna

[quote name='TexTuna']Hi. I finished the game on casual, and am playing it now on hardcore.

Recently I started playing ranked matches online and I'm mostly getting my butt wiped from one end of the map to the other so any tips are appreciated :)

Question, often when I try to entery a quick online match or even sometimes after playing a bit - I "loose connection" but I don't think I really am. Do the hosts have the ability to kick noobs if they wish? If so, how rude - I have to learn some way.

TexTuna[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend playing player matches. This is one game where I've had far better experience in player matches than ranked.

I keep hearing about everyone wanting new player models. It's a neat idea, but I really doubt we will see that happen.

The player models in this game are highly detailed, and thus have to take up a good chunk of memory. When developing a game, you are always fighting memory. They have designed the maps to fit well with every possible combination of current player models and not run out of memory. The only way we could see new player models is most likely if the host had the option of replacing current models with them.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I keep hearing about everyone wanting new player models. It's a neat idea, but I really doubt we will see that happen.

The player models in this game are highly detailed, and thus have to take up a good chunk of memory. When developing a game, you are always fighting memory. They have designed the maps to fit well with every possible combination of current player models and not run out of memory. The only way we could see new player models is most likely if the host had the option of replacing current models with them.[/QUOTE]

actually, the player models don't take up as much as it would seem. Yes, they take more than the level, but mainly they look great due to very good normal mapping.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I'd recommend playing player matches. This is one game where I've had far better experience in player matches than ranked.[/quote]

This is not meant to be sarcastic, but could it be more people are laid back in player matches, as opposed to those playing ranked matches with a purpose, to get their achievements?

yep, when I play player, I'm layin on the ol' bed, just chillin, but on ranked of sitting up, paying close attention and owning n00bys

[quote name='asianxcore']That would be cool. Is it possible for a team to choose all the same character? I only ask because I thought I played against 2 Coltranes on the same team.

Amazing.[/QUOTE]

You played with a girl on gears? I think I have come across only one girl in my days of playing gears.

[quote name='mr ryles']You played with a girl on gears? I think I have come across only one girl in my days of playing gears.[/quote]

Who, my sister?

[quote name='mr ryles']You played with a girl on gears? I think I have come across only one girl in my days of playing gears.[/QUOTE]

I've come across several. One on my friends list plays nightly.

Girls and Live dont mix well often. Not because the girls but because the guys that bend over backwards trying to be friends with them. Last night in Splinter Cell DA
"I only met her an hour ago but if anyone argues with her im booting you from the room."

It wasnt as bad with the girls ive played with on gears.

[quote name='Weedy649']Girls and Live dont mix well often. Not because the girls but because the guys that bend over backwards trying to be friends with them. Last night in Splinter Cell DA
"I only met her an hour ago but if anyone argues with her im booting you from the room."

It wasnt as bad with the girls ive played with on gears.[/QUOTE]
That's cause they can't get a girl to talk to them in real life so they think they are the poop! I only like playing with women when everybody in the room could care less they she is the opposite sex otherwise these little boys all fawn over these chicks and it ruins the gameplay. I have played Gears with at least 8 different girls in the past month and they are all wicked with the shotgun. What gives?
OPEN INVITES TO PLAY ME ON LIVE OR ADD AS FRIEND ------- VDUBKID

[quote name='mr ryles']You played with a girl on gears? I think I have come across only one girl in my days of playing gears.[/quote]

theres a girl on this board who just started playing gears. she's nice and friendly. :]

[quote name='mr ryles']You played with a girl on gears? I think I have come across only one girl in my days of playing gears.[/QUOTE]
I don't play matchmaking, but the girls on my friends list love Gears.

lots of chix play gears. some a very good. some are good. some are annoying as heck.

rumor has it that they might make the achievements attainable in player matches.

that would be hawt.

[quote name='Maddgief']lots of chix play gears. some a very good. some are good. some are annoying as heck.

rumor has it that they might make the achievements attainable in player matches.

that would be hawt.[/quote]

Said rumor was posted a few pages back, but thanks for the reminder.

bread's done
Back