GOG Deals Thread

Up to 80% off on Activision titles:

Info - https://www.gog.com/news/weekly_sale_vol_22_up_to_75_off_vtm_bloodlines

Link where you can add stuff to your cart - https://www.gog.com/promo/20170710_weekly_sale

MysterD's notable RPG picks:

Arcanum = $1.19

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines = $4.99

(GOG version comes equipped w/ both:

Final official patch v1.2 + latest version 9.7 of Wesp5's Unofficial Patch: Basic Edition)

My Thoughts on those 2 games - see SPOILER:

I have to give a shout-out to two RPG's on here from Troika Games (RIP):

Arcanum + Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Arcanum is an excellent mix of some steampunk, Victorian era, and fantasy elements with some kind of twist to them (i.e. dwarves with guns + magic exists in this world). If played in turn-based mode, it feels like an old school Fallout 1+2 style game, combat-wise with some magic elements thrown in for good measure. This game also has one of my favorite + the most unique scores that I've ever heard in a game ever.

For Arcanum - there's a Multi-verse Edition unofficial patch out; and also DrogBlackTooth still has his Unofficial Patches + other Utilities + Mods; and will be supposedly doing a new unofficial patch soon (version 2.0)!

Along-side of Alpha Protocol, I still think Arcanum is one of the most underrated RPG's of all time.

Then there's my favorite game of all time, the cult-classic Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Notice how I said my favorite, but not the best. It has its issues, for sure. Bloodlines' combat can be clunky + too dependent on stats & dice-rolls, like many other RPG/shooter/action game hybrids from this era (i.e. namely many of these hybrids that came out before the game-changing hybrid Mass Effect 2). Also, the game can be seen as very combat-heavy in the last 1/3rd of the game, which means that if you haven't sunk points in any of the action-based + defense skills, you could be screwed here.

Bloodlines was a mess technically upon release, but modders like Wesp5 + Tessera have their own unofficial patches that fix the game's technical hurdles so that the game can run on modern OS's. Still, to this very day, Wesp5 is releasing unofficial patches! GOG version actually comes equipped w/ both the final Troika official patch 1.2 AND Wesp's Unofficial Patch Basic version (i.e. mostly bug-fixes + some restorations), though you can go online and grab Wesp's Unofficial Patch Plus Edition if you want his majorly overhauled version (with lots of changes + restorations).

Bloodlines has some of my favorite quest-lines (i.e. The Asylum string of quests you do for sisters Therese + Jeanette); actual game-levels (The Haunted House mission is spooky, nerve-racking, and awesome); atmosphere (California w/ the vampire under-world + Hollywood); licensed music (i.e. so much awesome heavy metal + hard rock + electronic music here), and Womb Music's very own music+score for this game. With so many choices (and often non-lethal ways to finish quests in the 1st 2/3rd's of the game), excellent writing, excellent dialogue, excellent voice-acting - it's these things that help Bloodlines shine like it does, stepping out from the light in this World loaded with all kinds of Darkness (pun intended).

Despite its issues, I absolutely love Bloodlines. My favorite game of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
No mention of Vampire Bloodlines at the top of the list? MysterD are you OK? Are you being held against your will?
Bloodlines sale is dead right now. That was last week's sale. There's other stuff on sale for RPG's this week.

And I spoiler-tagged my thoughts sometime last week on Bloodlines + Arcanum a few posts up, over here :

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/288742-gog-deals-thread-fps-classics-299-and-under/?p=13773998

Bloodlines is my favorite RPG of all time; no real secret there. That's namely b/c of the amount of choices, decisions, atmosphere, story, plot, character development, voice-acting, music, level-design, quest-design, quest-variety, different character builds, and probably other things I ain't thinking of at the moment.

Bloodlines might not have the best combat b/c this hybrid did come out before Mass Effect 2 (like many hybrids mixing RPG and shooter elements, suffer from that problem of depending too much on dice-rolls + needing you to have good gun stats) - but everything else being top notch makes it my favorite game of all time.

Seriously, if Bloodlines ever hits $5 on Steam or GOG - everybody missing this, go buy it.

If you're going w/ GOG Version, it comes w/ a Wesp Unofficial Patch (Basic Edition) - so, you can just use that shortcut to get the game going, if you are content w/ that. If not, find some other patches or mods - and get going!

If you get it on Steam - you will need to find a way to get the game running, since it comes w/ Troika's last Official Patch 1.2, which doesn't work normally on PC's with the infamous 15MB RAM issues + on W7 and above out-the-box. You will likely also need to use Wesp's Patch (Basic or Plus Edition) or Tess's True Gold Patch, to get VTMB going from Steam. And you might need to disable Steam overlay (b/c it has issues w/ it) + disable patch-updates (Steam is known for patching backward to Official V 1.2), since it also has issues w/ those on Steam.

Anyone play Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear? I've been waiting for 75% off for that one forever and i'll probably be waiting forever for that haha.

Looks like Interplay will be raising prices on most (if not all) of their games after the sale ends. Surely that will save them from bankruptcy.
I'm missing 5 of these. Might grab them on GOG since steam almost never has good discounts on Interplay games.

Deadlight Directors Cut is free on GOG

... and there's some kind of $3 mystery game crap that Fox will surely buy

EDIT: Here's a thread if you wanna check what people are getting from the pinata.

i got Stories Untold

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

The Pinata sale is great if you regularly buy games from GOG since you won't get pinatas for games you already have, so you stand to purchase a lot of higher-value games for just $3. More games may be added as the sale goes on.

The Pinata sale is great if you regularly buy games from GOG since you won't get pinatas for games you already have, so you stand to purchase a lot of higher-value games for just $3. More games may be added as the sale goes on.
I think it's good if you're exclusively buying from GOG a lot, but if you buy on both GOG and Steam you have a chance of getting dupes for stuff you own on Steam.

I think it's good if you're exclusively buying from GOG a lot, but if you buy on both GOG and Steam you have a chance of getting dupes for stuff you own on Steam.
Yup. I saw one or two interesting things in that thread, but they were close to that $3 price in this sale anyway. I also saw a ton of stuff I already own on Steam.

Almost feel like gambling. Is there a list of the games? All I see is some list of what people got on Reddit.

Edit: Found the GOG thread

I gambled and got Trine 2....oh well...I wanted Full Throttle, Sexy Brutale, anything else haha. I think that's all for that for me. I thought I would be luckier having a larger GOG library.

Almost feel like gambling. Is there a list of the games? All I see is some list of what people got on Reddit.

Edit: Found the GOG thread
lol I posted a link to the thread when I posted about the pinata deal.

Part of me is tempted to gamble but from what I've seen very few people get the best games. I've never gambled with GMG so I'm not gonna start with GOG.

Supposedly better sounding games are being exhausted from the Pinata pool. Well if I was thinking of doing it again...the chance is a lot less now.

Is DOOM 3 BFG the version with issues?
Eh, depends on how you look at it. [shrug]

If you want old-school Doom 3 w/ the original lighting; lower system requirements (out-the-box); less official resolution & texture support; switch b/t flashlight & gun mechanic (which gives the game a more survival-horror feel); and likely has more mod support here - that's the version to get. Old Doom 3 is on Steam, but I just don't see it on GOG.

If you want the Doom 3 BFG Edition - it's on a newer engine (which needs better system); better texture + resolution support; flashlight strapped on your guns out-the-box (which give it a more run-and-gun style Doom experience); and want the extra Doom 3: The Lost Episodes content - yep, this is the version. Also, if you need Ultimate Doom 1 & Doom 2, that's here too. Also coming w/ Doom 2 here is former XBLA Exclusive extra episode No Rest for Living Episode. Also, Ultimate Doom 1 & Doom 2 WADS are packaged with this and can be used in other Source Ports that support it.

B/c both packages have their own pro's and con's & b/c BFG has some exclusive content - eh, if you can get them cheap enough, get both.

Not sure if anybody here will care, but two games (Schein and Windforge) are getting removed from GOG on August 31st. They are both 75% off for the final few days.

There is an announcement about this which you can read here. But even in the announcement, it doesn't say why the games are being removed. So there isn't much more info beyond what I've already posted here.

For those who use Steam as well as GOG, both of these games are available there, and have been bundled multiple times before. Here are the Steam links for both games in case you wanna check if you own them on Steam. Windforge --  Schein

@The End

I don't see it listed yet or anywhere on either of the Steam Forums as they are possibly leaving Steam.

Any idea if it might be only leaving GOG?

With the information given, the best I can do is guess. I mean, you basically know as much as I do at this point. As I said above though, both of these games were bundled multiple times. So if either of them do get removed from steam, it really shouldn't be too hard to track down a key.

Let's be honest though, neither of these two games are all-time classics. If they get removed, and you find yourself without them in your collection, life will go on.

Anybody want a free copy of The Witcher 1 on GOG? First come, first served.

Still no takers? Seriously, it's free. I just need someone who wants and doesn't have the game to message me with an email address. Heck, if you have it but want to give it to a friend, message me; that's fine too.

The original Mafia game was released on GOG today. Apparently they removed all the licensed music from the game. Presumably this was done to facilitate the game's re-release.

Announcement page.
Nice, I regret passing on it before it got delisted on steam. I'm sure it'll end up on steam after 6 months, which is usually when the GOG exclusivity crap ends. Someone will probably make a custom patch to add the original music back

The original Mafia game was released on GOG today. Apparently they removed all the licensed music from the game. Presumably this was done to facilitate the game's re-release.

Announcement page.
A bummer about the music but you're probably right about the rationale behind it.

But that MSRP, yikes! Will wait for GOG Xmas sale and hope for 75% off. I would like to try this one as I'm assuming the GOG version will run on my computer. Has anyone alerted the toaster?

FWIW, there's also a new Witcher documentary posted to GOG as part of the 10th anniversary celebrations.

I can't forget that racing mission. It made me Uninstall the game and never look back to try it again

bread's done
Back