GOG Deals Thread

Funfact: People who use the word mate to describe anything other than a pair of birds or animals are annoying as hell.
Here's a fun fact for you: It's not spelled as a compound word, as in "funfact."

Here's another fun fact for you (again see how I didn't write it as a compound word?): Most everyone whom is from a British country, as in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or even the place that proves truth is stranger than fiction: Wales (ba' dum tish!) uses the word "mate" to describe a "friend", as you Americans call them...

Now, I happen to have been born and raised in the U.K., so that is why I use that term. However, dear Bruticis, I don't know where ya'll were dang darn raised on the bayou into the cult of Chrees-chee-annitee, but insulting people's vocabulary is one of the lowest forms of insulting a person, as it's not something they actually have much control over, do ya read, bro?

Anyway, all hypocritical and trolling jokes aside, next time you want to post in a thread where you either never post or have done so on a very rare occasion, please make sure it's something positive, respectful, and/or contributes to the good of the Order of CAG GOG Deal Lovers International. Thanks, and I hope the next time you post something in here it is a comment that actually makes people respect the name Bruticis for as long as the CAG Forums are around (as opposed to disliking his/her rude words, which seems the be the current feeling against him/her).

These messages have been brought to you by "The More You Know", as a public service announcement to those in the CAG Community who lack a general respect for other cultures.

Thank you for your time... mate. :speaktothehand:

I don't think Herman's Head ever had an official DVD release.
Hmmm, you're right, it didn't... Which is why I find it quite strange that some store that's based in Costa Rica, of all places (it's not like Costa Rica is exempt from copyright laws, or anything), is selling a "complete series" of said TV show on DVD. I don't know how that can be possible! It's not like there is a whole network out there that's primary function is the decentralized sharing of illegally obtained TV shows, movies, software, music, and games...

Holy happenstance, Batman! I think I may have just come up with the first way that teenagers who spend all their allowance on pot and pills will still be able to get their fix of rap music, boy bands, and shitty horror-comedy mashups!

*Here, I come, patent office! And there's absolutely nobody that can stop me from making my beautiful creation... Not even those tiny, pro-open source, anti-big business charities called the RCAA and the MPAA.* :twisted:

EDIT: Now would be the perfect time for somebody to use the GIF in this link, just sayin':

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm0pvqmxFi1qcxr4go1_400.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

How bout dat Portal?

Does it make me ancient that I don't get if this a Portal reference or not? If THAT doesn't, try this on for size: I still call forums "newsgroups" (yes, I'm dead serious).

What's sad is that I'm willing to wager that I'm probably the oldest person on the CAG forums... :oldman:

No, it just means you don't follow the Steam thread.
That's true... Given that I'm (You can do this, talkinrock. Just take a breath, and...) 53, I only play a handful of newer games, which are the only kind that I buy from Steam. The majority of the ones I play are from GOG, as the 80's and 90's are when I worked in the game development industry, so I couldn't actually play as many games back then as I would have liked (given that I often worked 16 hour shifts to finish whatever game Origin was releasing at the time).

So, would it be accurate to say that now that I'm [semi-]retired, I'm making up for lost free time?

Does it make me ancient that I don't get if this a Portal reference or not? If that doesn't, try this on for size: I still call forums "newsgroups" (yes, I'm dead serious).
No, it just makes you stuck in the 90s. Calling them boards (as in BBS/Bulletin Board System) is vintage.

No, it just makes you stuck in the 90s. Calling them boards (as in BBS/Bulletin Board System) is vintage.
Thanks a lot, @asheskitty! :roll:

You do realize that "newsgroups" are even older (if only slightly) than BBS, right? So if somebody calling them BBS is "vintage", then what does that make me, given that I use an even more antiquated term (that is, at least, according to you, and well... the rest of ARPANET the Internet).

EDIT: On second thought, I'm going to make that a rhetorical question, as I know that *somebody* is probably going to make a funny comparing me to the Pliocene Era.

Sadly, it's not really "sounding older" if you are already old...
1UbC2CK.jpg

Thanks a lot, @asheskitty! :roll:

You do realize that "newsgroups" are even older (if only slightly) than BBS, right? So if somebody calling them BBS is "vintage", then what does that make me, given that I use an even more antiquated term (that is, at least, according to you, and well... the rest of ARPANET the Internet).

EDIT: On second thought, I'm going to make that a rhetorical question, as I know that *somebody* is probably going to make a funny comparing me to the Pliocene Era.
Negative. Usenet started in 1980. BBSes were around in the 70s (as well as other related systems such as Berkeley's Community Memory and France's Minitel.)

More practically, common people (non-academics and the sort) had much more access to BBSes. In fact my first "internet" connection was asynchronous through a BBS's gateway. I didn't get dial-up access until '94 (via SV-PAL). Before then, my access was solely though BBSes.

Negative. Usenet started in 1980. BBSes were around in the 70s (as well as other related systems such as Berkeley's Community Memory and France's Minitel.)

More practically, common people (non-academics and the sort) had much more access to BBSes. In fact my first "internet" connection was asynchronous through a BBS's gateway. I didn't get dial-up access until '94 (via SV-PAL). Before then, my access was solely though BBSes.
I'm fairly certain that "newsgroups" was a term before Usenet, in the days of ARPANET. However, you're absolutely correct in that 99.9% of the world knows "newsgroups" from Usenet, so i probably should have elaborated on that (my bad).

EDIT: @Neuro5i5 - It seems that your GIF has failed, as I have reached out to a make peace treaty between talkinrockland and asheskittyland. Hopefully our territorial conflict can be resolved.

I'm fairly certain that "newsgroups" was a term before Usenet, in the days of ARPANET. However, you're absolutely correct in that 99.9% of the world knows "newsgroups" from Usenet, so i probably should have elaborated on that (my bad).

EDIT: @Neuro5i5 - It seems that your GIF has failed, as I have reached out to a make peace treaty between talkinrockland and asheskittyland. Hopefully our territorial conflict can be resolved.
What the frig is a Usenet?

ALSO THAT'S A JPEG.

Just some background information about how I know about the "ARPANET-newsgroup" thing:   I graduated from UC Berkeley in '81, with a degree in machine learning/AI programming. As an undergrad in the computing field, we often had to use ARPANET quite a bit for its "intended" purposes...  However, as university students always have done, and always will, we often planned played pranks on other students through some of the "back channels" that our department used. To avoid being banned by our professors for messing around with (what was at the time) not at all intended for purposes other than educational ones, we called these back channels "newsgroups" and claimed that they were used to "keep up to date" with other places that used ARPANET regarding projects/research that they had been working on.

Eventually, other universities/government programs that ALSO use the ARPANET caught on with what we at Berkeley were doing, so then they started their calling their channels that were not-quite-research-based "newsgroups", as well, so they could also avoid being punished by their professors/bosses.

Is that sufficient evidence for you guys?  ;)

EDIT: Dammit... Accidentally double posted.

EDIT #2: WTF?? I just double posted (by accident) on a post that was meant to edit ANOTHER double post...

^

^

^

I expected a response similar to your guys'... 

As I said before, I'm probably the oldest person on here.

It's actually a bit funny that stories from the 80's seem "fake" or "trolling" or whatever you call them to people on the Net these days...  As my middle daughter often says to me when she's peeved at something I'm doing:   "Why aren't you in a retirement home yet? You're too old to be doing anything but that, especially using Facebook!And then I remind her of two things:  

1.) I was using the Internet before she was even a preconceived notion.  

2.) There's no way IN HELL I'm ever going to go to a retirement home; when I'm too old to care for myself, SHE is going to be the one changing my "adult diapers" and pushing me in my wheelchair.

Here's a fun fact for you: It's not spelled as a compound word, as in "funfact."

Here's another fun fact for you (again see how I didn't write it as a compound word?): Most everyone whom is from a British country, as in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or even the place that proves truth is stranger than fiction: Wales (ba' dum tish!) uses the word "mate" to describe a "friend", as you Americans call them...

Now, I happen to have been born and raised in the U.K., so that is why I use that term. However, dear Bruticis, I don't know where ya'll were dang darn raised on the bayou into the cult of Chrees-chee-annitee, but insulting people's vocabulary is one of the lowest forms of insulting a person, as it's not something they actually have much control over, do ya read, bro?

Anyway, all hypocritical and trolling jokes aside, next time you want to post in a thread where you either never post or have done so on a very rare occasion, please make sure it's something positive, respectful, and/or contributes to the good of the Order of CAG GOG Deal Lovers International. Thanks, and I hope the next time you post something in here it is a comment that actually makes people respect the name Bruticis for as long as the CAG Forums are around (as opposed to disliking his/her rude words, which seems the be the current feeling against him/her).

These messages have been brought to you by "The More You Know", as a public service announcement to those in the CAG Community who lack a general respect for other cultures.

Thank you for your time... mate. :speaktothehand:
Funfact: That's a lot of pretentious drivel, mate.

Funfact: That's a lot of pretentious drivel, mate.
I actually wasn't at all offended by your comment; I was just trying to respond in an ironic/hypocritical manner (meaning trying to sound like most offended netgoers), for the sake of making a funny...

So, I apologize if you took me seriously, as I was trying to be completely and utterly sarcastic.

I actually wasn't at all offended by your comment; I was just trying to respond in an ironic/hypocritical manner (meaning trying to sound like most offended netgoers), for the sake of making a funny...

So, I apologize if you took me seriously, as I was trying to be completely and utterly sarcastic.
No worries, I didn't take you serious. I was just having a go at third world slang.

No worries, I didn't take you serious. I was just having a go at third world slang.
I see what you did there... mate. :D/

EDIT: How does that old saying go? "He who gets the last laugh, laughs first, laughs best?" (Or something like that... ) :whistle2:

This has become the weirdest thread on CAG.
I just broke out laughing at this for over a minute straight... 'cause the truth hurts (your ribs when you laugh so hard at it).

EDIT: On a completely serious note, my comments over the last two days have been (honest to god) the result of celebrating St. Patrick's Day for 2 days longer than everyone else in the world does... Well, I guess that's what having 100% Irish blood does to you, eh?

Thankfully, my drunken haze has (mostly) subsided, so now my wife and kids are going to have to deal with the dreaded St. Patty's Day one-week long hangover.

*May god (whom I'd like to interject doesn't actually exist :whistle2:$) have mercy on my poor family's souls.*

Also, I can't bloody believe I forgot to mention this, but I got to meet TheEngimaticT, TheFrenchMonk, and some other GOG staffers (who aren't nearly as web-famous) in San Francisco on "Everybody be a Drunken Irishman" Day...  

Anyway, they all were pretty fantastic and everybody there had a merry old time getting hammered and all that jazz, but I do have to say that out of all the GOG staff I got to meet, TheEngimaticT by far has the most off-colour, irreverant, and overall twisted sense of humour...    I think I just met a clone of myself that's twenty years younger made a new best friend.  :whee:

I can't find any corroboration for the use of that term, but certainly mailing lists dedicated to various topics were in existence prior to the creation of Usenet and have been cited by its creators as an inspiration for Usenet.

Eventually, other universities/government programs that ALSO use the ARPANET caught on with what we at Berkeley were doing, so then they started their calling their channels that were not-quite-research-based "newsgroups", as well, so they could also avoid being punished by their professors/bosses.

Is that sufficient evidence for you guys? ;)
Possibly. That somewhat matches with the information here: http://www.livinginternet.com/u/ui_early.htm:

In 1980, Mark Horton, a graduate student at the University of California in Berkeley, added his site to the Usenet network and started sending some of the ARPANET mailing lists to the Usenet. When the "ucbvax" computer joined the network shortly thereafter, the hierarchy "fa" was established, standing for "from ARPANET". At first the ARPANET lists were distributed read-only on the Usenet, but later the connection was made two-way.

I can't find any corroboration for the use of that term, but certainly mailing lists dedicated to various topics were in existence prior to the creation of Usenet and have been cited by its creators as an inspiration for Usenet.
Not that my explanation that a few posts down from the one you quoted is by any means provable or "common knowledge", but if you're willing to trust that story I shared from my days as an undergrad at Berkeley (it seems others on the CAG forums were haste to label it as "BS") then you have your "evidence."

Somebody else who used ARPANET has probably mentioned this at some point or another in the 40 years that the Internet has been around, so if you don't want to take my word for it, a quick Google search might do the trick...

bread's done
Back