Halo 3: ODST - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Doomed']As a new player to Halo 3, I have a few questions for when my ODST gets here via Super Saver.

How many achievement points could I get from the ODST package?

What are some awesome user created DLC? I know of Grifball, but that's about it.[/QUOTE]

Beat the campaign. It was alright. I just feel silly shooting aliens now. Maybe if the aliens were more realistic or grittier. Everything from the commercials to the in game cinematics make it feel like these ODST are in the fight for humanity but the enemy they are fighting are goofy as fuck.

[quote name='Malik112099']It did the save thing to me again! WTF? I saved and quit earlier today right after it said checkpoint...done, so now i turn it on and it took me to the save point before i started playing earlier this afternoon. This is a crock of fucking shit.[/QUOTE]

I can top that. For some reason it acts like I didn't beat the first two parts when I did. I wanted to finish the game,but in order to do it. I would have to play 3 of the ones I already beat to do so. I only rented the game. I don't have enough time or the desire to do so.

[quote name='hufferstl']Has Bungie mentioned if they can/will make some DLC Firefight maps?[/QUOTE]
Definately no more Halo 3 maps, probably no more Firefight either.

[quote name='Doomed']Definately no more Halo 3 maps, probably no more Firefight either.[/QUOTE]

?

What makes you say that. It may be their supposed 2nd to last Halo game, but Bungie loves to appease its fans. If its not Bungie, I could see 343 Industries creating some. If there's money to be made on the Halo franchise, you can bet your ass they'll take advantage of it.

[quote name='Corvin']Yeah, I'm going to have to see a link on a story saying Bungie is done with Halo 3 maps.[/QUOTE]

ok..

http://www.neowin.net/news/gamers/09/02/05/bungie-after-odst-no-more-halo-3-support

http://au.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/950/950839p1.html

IGN: How much longer will new maps continue to be made for Halo 3? Have resources been shifted to Halo 3: ODST or is there yet more to come?

Brian Jarrard:
We haven't actually been working on new maps for quite a while aside from some final testing and preparations for release. These days, we've got a smaller team that's focused on finishing the ODST campaign and all that it entails while the rest of the studio continues making progress on other, larger, secret projects. Once the Mythic maps are released this Spring, fans will still be able to look forward to a few more exclusive new maps that will be included in the Halo 3: ODST release later this Fall. Overall though, we are viewing the ODST campaign and the included multiplayer maps as the final exclamation point in our ongoing efforts to extend the Halo 3 experience. We're really grateful to our fans for standing by Halo 3 for so long and continuing to show us such strong support. It's been a great ride thus far and but it's not quite over yet. With the wide open possibilities of Sandbox and Forge, two additional solid maps and some new achievements, players will hopefully find plenty of ways to keep having fun with Halo 3 before we unleash ODST later this Fall

I thought I heard it on the Giant Bombcast, even more likely I'm talking out of my ass. But why would they go through the trouble of making a complete collection of Halo 3 MP maps, then making new ones? Would make no sense.

[quote name='Corvin']Yeah, Lost Platoon is awesome. We were at 650k on Normal when my buddy had a power issue which killed our game. We still had a dozen lives as well.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I don't really know which one to do next as the only other one I played was crater for about 5 mins. We're usually in need of a 4th, send you a fr and if you see me on just send an invite to play ff if you don't have a 4th.

just beat the game...or did I? I thought the credits were starting to roll so I just tapped 'B' to see if it would skip. I'm back at the main screen and decide to see what happens when I reload my save. It reloaded way back when I first saved and quit (area where you just wait for the enemies to storm in from different sides of the building. What the hell is with this, I wanted to replay some missions but now have to rebeat the game again? I played on easy (just wanted to know the story first) in two sessions.

[quote name='bs000']Some audio files don't appear until after you've beaten some of the missions. I think what you want to do is complete the entire campaign, then from the main menu, choose campaign -> replay mission -> Mombosa Streets. Then you should be able to collect all 29 there. Then SAVE AND QUIT, then replay Data Hive for the last one.

You can get all 30 in any difficulty. Some of them are pretty well hidden. I used this guide, the videos made it alot easier[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this map! I had a similar one, but it did not number them, so I was quite confused as to why there wasn't one in an area that was marked off. Now, I realize that you have to come back to that area later. Thanks a lot.

I got my game in yesterday and get the dreaded Disc Read Error. Time to take it back to Toyrs R Us. Nothing is wrong with the disc and it won't work no matter what I do. Apparently this has been affecting quite a bit of people and there's a large thread on Bungie.net about it. Just my luck!

Spent about 4.5 hours tonight with 2 friends playing firefight. We were trying to get the achievement for Crater on normal and still weren't able to do it. Maybe we're just terrible, but it seems quite difficult.

Has anyone else been getting terrible lag? The game would slow down almost every few minutes.

[quote name='Eric1285']Spent about 4.5 hours tonight with 2 friends playing firefight. We were trying to get the achievement for Crater on normal and still weren't able to do it. Maybe we're just terrible, but it seems quite difficult.

Has anyone else been getting terrible lag? The game would slow down almost every few minutes.[/QUOTE]

In the beginning of my game with Malik it seemed like there was some input delay, but after that it was very smooth.

Also, Crater blows. Try another level.

[quote name='Eric1285']Has anyone else been getting terrible lag? The game would slow down almost every few minutes.[/QUOTE]Regardless of host, if someone in your game has a laggy/slow connection, then the entire game will lag. At least that is what I've experienced so far since it's based off the same system as the Halo 3/ODST campaigns.

I really wish there was some way to put their matchmaking system into firefight though.

[quote name='Doomed']
As a new player to Halo 3, I have a few questions for when my ODST gets here via Super Saver.

How many achievement points could I get from the ODST package?[/QUOTE]

Check out the ODST FAQ. They've got a nice list.

Do you not get any extra points from playing Firefight on higher difficulties? Everyone on my friends list has been playing on Heroic, and none of them have any Firefight achievements.

[quote name='pete5883']Do you not get any extra points from playing Firefight on higher difficulties? Everyone on my friends list has been playing on Heroic, and none of them have any Firefight achievements.[/QUOTE]

You do, but it's also more difficult too of course. Maybe they're just not that great at staying alive or they've been playing with one other person at that difficulty. It also depends on the level as some are more difficult than others.

I had a fun FireFight match with pete5883 last night - I was the weak link and we only had three players - still a great time. I wish it was easier finding 3 other people to play because FireFight is great.

Got my copy from Amazon last night. Trust me the waiting a few days for saving was worth it.

Anyways enjoyed fire fight and the single player campaign so far. My only complaint seemed to be echoed throughout many posts: No matchmaking in fire fight.

It's gonna force me to expand my friends list I suppose.

Regarding Bungie's recommendation that you not install the multiplayer disc, has anyone else ignored that and tried it? I've installed both the original Halo 3 disc and the ODST multiplayer disc and I can't tell a difference. Other than the system is quieter.

I haven't measured this with a stopwatch or anything, but it certainly doesn't feel any slower to load.

[quote name='aerotive']Regarding Bungie's recommendation that you not install the multiplayer disc, has anyone else ignored that and tried it? I've installed both the original Halo 3 disc and the ODST multiplayer disc and I can't tell a difference. Other than the system is quieter.

I haven't measured this with a stopwatch or anything, but it certainly doesn't feel any slower to load.[/QUOTE]

that's good to hear, ill have to try installing the mp disc as well. Listening to the dvd drive now is unacceptable.

Installing the Mythic disc defiantly is not going to improve the loading times. The game was and still engineered pre-NXE times and the architecture of the game will still make it slower and perform worse.

From the ODST FAQ:

Q. So, if I’ve got room on my hard drive, I should install this sucker for faster loading?

A. Nope. Halo 3: Mythic is for all intents and purposes, Halo 3. When we built Halo 3, NXE installations were the stuff of the future. As a result, installing Halo 3: Mythic will result in slower load times for you and all your friends (and people you care about will be disappointed in you).

Only reasons I have this game is Amazon's good deal and that my friend who's the Halo whore. Anyway, the VISR button is going to be really irritating because I'm used to that being reload... I like the interface though specially the VISR in dark situations. The silenced assault rifle and pistol is also nice. Makes it less Halo and more my kind of FPS.

As far as installing the ODST disk it makes a HUGE difference. I had been playing downstairs on my 360 with the game installed and the initial load time wasnt bad at all. I played upstairs without it installed and it was like a solid 30 seconds longer to load.

HOLY HELL firefight is addicting! I just played single player crater for 181 minutes and only got up once. I'm not even a Halo guy but they nailed this mode besides the MP part.

Made it to Set 4, round 1, wave 4 before I died.......died with 192,000 points lol so close.. Shit gets hard I ran out of decent weapons and had to beat down one of those big guys so I could get his weapon to knock down the other 4 guys shells. Finally the last damn guy alive whacked me with a hammer. :D

EDIT: Silly question but if you play with others is it one collective running score or individual scores for what you personally do?

Last edited by a moderator:
It keeps track of the team's cummlative score and also shows what part of that score is yours. All you have to do to get the achievements is have your team get to 200,000, much easier than doing it by yourself.

[quote name='ohboy10451']can i just rent the game and install the multiplayer maps from the 2nd disc on to my hard drive?[/QUOTE]

It's not like the Fallout/Oblivion DLC. It's an actual game disk, it's just the Halo 3 MP only on the disc. You have to have the game disc in the drive for you to be able to play it, just like any other installed 360 game.

If anyone would like a late-night firefight teammate (or if you want to try for the last few vidmasters), I'm up for it. Just send me a FR.

You guys can also add me for co-op on campaign firefight and what not.

So the general verdict is to install the ODST disc but not the multiplayer Halo 3 one?

Correct Monsta Mack.

Also beware that if you start a co-op level with 2-4 players, and one of them disconnects for whatever reason, you won't get credit for completing it. You have to finish the level with the same number of players as you started with to get credit for completing the level.

Is anybody else having this problem? I was playing signed in two controllers on my xbox and started a coop campaign mode and the screen size shrunk! It went from 16:9 to 4:3. When the game ended, it reverted back, but I can't play coop with 2 people on my xbox without the screen getting smaller. I play on 1080p.

[quote name='iiinightmar3ii']Is anybody else having this problem? I was playing signed in two controllers on my xbox and started a coop campaign mode and the screen size shrunk! It went from 16:9 to 4:3. When the game ended, it reverted back, but I can't play coop with 2 people on my xbox without the screen getting smaller. I play on 1080p.[/QUOTE]
Same thing happened in Halo 3. The screen adjusts to give the correct aspect ratio for both players. This also the reason why you can't do 4 player co-op on one 360.

Got 1k in this today. That was fun.

I kept calling the flying things overlords instead of engineers. I think I've played too much Starcraft D:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What exactly was Bungie thinking about when they decided to not have matchmaking for Firefight?[/QUOTE]

If I recall correctly I think it was a matter of people griefing while you play. It sort of makes sense, if you're going after the achievements and all and judging by the general nature of people you run into during typical Halo matchmaking.

I thought it was because matchmaking wasn't in the game engine for Halo 3 co-op, and they didn't have time to add it to the engine for use in FF.

Anyone else having problems with the first Vidmaster: Classic achievement? I thought I successfully pulled it off three different times (no shots fired, no grenades tossed on Legendary), but never received the achievement.

[quote name='jaso']Anyone else having problems with the first Vidmaster: Classic achievement? I thought I successfully pulled it off three different times (no shots fired, no grenades tossed on Legendary), but never received the achievement.[/QUOTE]

To my understanding the requirements are here (It's possible that some of these are false, but it's not a bad guide to go by):

You can:
- Have NPCs be in your warthog as gunner/passenger
- Trade weapons with an NPC (They have unlimited ammo)
- Skip cutscenes
- Splatter enemies
- Boost on a ghost
- Die
- Hijack vehicles

You can't:
- Powerlide (LT) with the warthog
- Use any weapon, including behicle weapons (Although I hear some people who 'miss' still get it)
- Honk the warthogs horn (RT)
- Throw grenades
- Enter visr mode (Select)
- Have anyone else with you in the game.

I've also heard that scoring must be on, but I don't know. It took me two runs to get the achievement with the only changes between the two being that I didn't powerslide, I switched from free to all to team scoring, and I accidently died once at the very end but figured since I was 5 feet from the end to just finish it up anyways.

I beat campaign on easy and am trying to go through it on legendary (solo). I can't even get to downloading the map when the Rookie first lands! any tips? keep in mind I'm kinda new to the Halo series.

bread's done
Back