Halo 3: ODST - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I beat campaign on easy and am trying to go through it on legendary (solo). I can't even get to downloading the map when the Rookie first lands! any tips? keep in mind I'm kinda new to the Halo series.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Draekon.

Gamer SDP, don't feel bad. I'd consider myself a well-versed veteran of the series, and trying Legendary solo for me was excrutiating. I was able to beat Halo 1 and 2 on Legendary no problems. But ODST seems to be a bit more frustrating.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I beat campaign on easy and am trying to go through it on legendary (solo). I can't even get to downloading the map when the Rookie first lands! any tips? keep in mind I'm kinda new to the Halo series.[/QUOTE]

Take cover, pop out, fire a few shots, and then go back to cover. Also, prioritize your targets according to the weapons you have. If you got something with long-range stopping power, like the sniper rifle, try to eliminate any Brutes that are in a patrol group. Then, you can mop up the scrubs after that. If you have an assault rifle and a pistol, try to head shot grunts and such from a distance and then worry about going in for the kill on anything bigger.

[quote name='Draekon']You can link through bungie.net for interactive/in depth stats instead of using a camera. For example:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/ODSTg.aspx?gameid=15015756&player=Draekon[/QUOTE]
Tnx I didnt know that.

I wish to God they would have put more into the Back button menu during Firefight. I wish I could see wave, round, ppls scores and such.

Edit: Is there a list anywhere for the location for the audio items. I am trying to close in on all the achievements. I am down for playing if ppl want to get some games in for achievements.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can see the Set, Round, and Wave while playing firefight. It's in the top left of the screen.

The number is the set which increases after three rounds (and a bonus "wave"). The three dots are the rounds that increase after five waves. Last, the five parallelograms or square-like shapes below it are the waves. At least I think they're parallelograms? I don't really remember.

As for the audio, you could use this I suppose:
http://achievementhunter.com/games/halo3odst/guide/

[quote name='hufferstl']Neither of those mention firefight maps, just Halo 3 multiplayer maps. I can't see how they wouldn't be interested in making some easy money by putting out more firefight maps.[/QUOTE]

Hey smarty, look at what I was quoting. We were talking about HALO 3 MAPS. Not firefight. So, the links I provided were on topic and proved the point I was making. Thanks!

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6330587&postcount=349

[quote name='Malik112099']Hey smarty, look at what I was quoting. We were talking about HALO 3 MAPS. Not firefight. So, the links I provided were on topic and proved the point I was making. Thanks!

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6330587&postcount=349[/QUOTE]

Calm down dude. The post above the one(A Happy Panda's) you are referencing talks about Firefight maps. I wasn't pointing fingers, just mentioning to everyone that there hasn't been any mention of Firefight DLC being a possibility either way.

ODST is already an expansion of Halo 3. Unless MS pushes Bungie into making DLC for the game, I can't see them doing anything else for it.

They've got all their attention focused on Reach.

lol, had a good day, me and my buddies tryed beating the last mission to get deja vu, it took forever so I had to go, they kept trying when we were only a little ways done. i got the achievement with one kill and 43 deaths.

It's too bad they didn't price this at $40. I know that discussion is played out at this point, but I'm having a hard time convincing friends to grab this for $60. And you NEED friends to give this game any legs.

Yeah well the internet smarty pants got it for around $40 or less after all of Amazon's insane discounts. I know I'm not the only one who paid $30 or less for it when it was all said and done.

Gamestop and other retailers are bound to have tons of used copies for those that don't keep it for fire fight or have most of the maps already, so I'm sure down the road we'll see a lot more deals on ODST. Unless everyone ends up holding onto it for the Reach beta.

[quote name='Draekon']
You can't:
- Powerlide (LT) with the warthog
[/QUOTE]

Damn powersliding kept me from getting it the first time, thanks Draekon

LOL! Me, too! Anyway, if anyone wants to add me, I'm gonna finish up the solo campaign tomorrow or so, and I'm definitely looking to play some Firefight in the near future. I stink at Halo MP, but I love co-op stuff like that, so I'm in. I might just not be that good.

Add me if you like for Firefight. I haven't had a chance to play with anyone yet.

Just finished up the campaign on Heroic first, quite enjoyed it overall.

This may have been mentioned, but don't try to find the audio logs in co-op. We loaded up the final mission and took a couple of hours to find the 29 logs. Then when we loaded up Data Hive, it erased our log progress. :bomb: There's no reason for Bungie to have set it up like that. I was super pissed.

I imagine that if you were doing co-op with friends and made sure to get all 29 before Data Hive occurs, it would work? At any rate, I went into single player and refound them all.

Finished up the campaign. Short, yes, but I liked the story and the characters. Good voice acting crew. So, again, if anyone wants to add me for Firefight, I'm down.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']I just realized I need more active XBL friends :cry:[/QUOTE]

Funny I was just thinking the same thing as I played ODST last night. Add me and let's get some Firefight going. Even if i'm playing something else feel free to invite. Tag is MaXx 10.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I read that getting audio logs in co-op don't unlock for solo campaign (and vica-verca not sure if achievement works)[/QUOTE]

You read right. Solo and co-op are treated as completely separate. For example if you get 9 audio logs in co-op and start a solo game, you start from scratch.

I enjoyed the campaign (played it solo on Heroic), and I enjoyed my limited experience with Firefight (solo and with a buddy who is new to the game). If anyone is interested in playing, feel free to send me a FR.

I'm just going for the ODST Vidmasters, if anyone is interested? I don't care about Recon like everyone else seems to, I think it looks silly to be honest, but part of me just wants to do it.
If anyone's up for it, send me a PM on here and I'll add you. I don't accept blind invites on XBL. :)

[quote name='TheStoneAgeKing']I'm just going for the ODST Vidmasters, if anyone is interested? I don't care about Recon like everyone else seems to, I think it looks silly to be honest, but part of me just wants to do it.
If anyone's up for it, send me a PM on here and I'll add you. I don't accept blind invites on XBL. :)[/QUOTE]

You may or may not get a FR from me at around 6 PM PST.

I'm loving firefight. My buddies and I are just having trouble staying connected. Any suggestions? We all run cable as far as I know. I was thinking of DMZing my xbox. I'm not really sure if that will help or not. I"m just tired of getting 40 mins in and the thing kicking us all out.

FireFight can be lots of fun but it is certainly frustrating trying to get 4 people in a party. Even having access to GAF FireFight 1 and CAG FireFight is not enough.

I noticed CAG FireFight only has 57 names. Everyone interested in FF should add this gamertag to their Friends List - that way we all have access to each other (and at 1:30 am you will appreciate it!).

I'm down to do either the vidmasters or the Firefight achievements. I'm on the Firefight list and available after 9pm EST. Send me a message or FR if you are getting a group together and looking for another.

I'll post this here, and in the FF thread. Anyone interested/competent and willing to put some work in and get the Vidmaster achievements let me know.

Edit damn, by seconds drunkz posts, dude im game for vidmasters.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I'll post this here, and in the FF thread. Anyone interested/competent and willing to put some work in and get the Vidmaster achievements let me know.

Edit damn, by seconds drunkz posts, dude im game for vidmasters.[/QUOTE]

Haha, we actually had a pretty quick run at Vidmaster: Annual so partying up must be the way to go for these ones as well, right? :lol:

It was definitely much smoother than my first try where 2 people had no mic and we were at the 90 min mark before someone's connection flaked out and kicked one of us out of the party.

TrueAchievements has some good strategies for Endure, but it looks like a 2-3 hour grind either way, with the possibility of it all going to crap by losing all the lives. I haven't looked too much at Deja Vu, but I have some idea what to expect there.

I sent a FR to CAG Firefight, although I won't have ODST until later this week (should have it tomorrow or Wednesday).

I'm also interested in doing the Vidmaster Challenges (on Halo 3, as well, namely the 70xp one)

I'll definitely add my name to the list later when I'm on my 360. I already got a couple of friend requests today from CAGs about FF, so let's keep it up.

[quote name='KingBroly']I sent a FR to CAG Firefight, although I won't have ODST until later this week (should have it tomorrow or Wednesday).

I'm also interested in doing the Vidmaster Challenges (on Halo 3, as well, namely the 70xp one)[/QUOTE]

I think its only 50 xp, send me a FR or inv from FF if you wanna play.

I think this was mentioned but I'm not sure. Sooo...I loaded up ODST today, had fininished the level where you fly around in a banshee the majority of the time. I was back w/ the rookie, showing him checking out that bio-canister. Then it proceeded to lead me back to the location with the helmet stuck into the screen and made me play the 1st Buck mission again.

WTF? On the mission select screen, it is saying I didn't finish 3 missions that I already did. What gives?

[quote name='SoulReaver']I think this was mentioned but I'm not sure. Sooo...I loaded up ODST today, had fininished the level where you fly around in a banshee the majority of the time. I was back w/ the rookie, showing him checking out that bio-canister. Then it proceeded to lead me back to the location with the helmet stuck into the screen and made me play the 1st Buck mission again.

WTF? On the mission select screen, it is saying I didn't finish 3 missions that I already did. What gives?[/QUOTE]

this happened to me as well, i quickly learned that when you are done, you have to save and quit, it does not save automatically.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']this happened to me as well, i quickly learned that when you are done, you have to save and quit, it does not save automatically.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The same save system Halo has been using for 8 years. It blows my mind that people are having problems figuring this out when we've had three previous games that functioned identically.

I've played the three previous Halo games, and it happened to me, too. Here's why. It's an archaic system. Almost every game I have played in the last few years has an auto-save feature. Granted, there's no warning about an auto-save, so you would think that should have tipped me off, but it's so ingrained in my mind at this point, I don't even think to look.

I didn't say it wasn't archaic, quite frankly, it's a terrible system. That doesn't change the fact that even the most recent game which this game shares an engine and title with uses the same save system.

Plus if you are watching your HUD you frequently see "Loading" or "Checkpoint Done," not "saving progress."

Has anybody found a good source for audio logs? I'd like to find something that starts at the earliest possible audio log that you can pick up when you first start the game and continues from there. I tried using maps and you tube videos and I was lost.

[quote name='freshzen']Has anybody found a good source for audio logs? I'd like to find something that starts at the earliest possible audio log that you can pick up when you first start the game and continues from there. I tried using maps and you tube videos and I was lost.[/QUOTE]

This might be what you are looking for:

Its a map with a link to the video for each audio file, I don't have the game so I am not sure if it is numbered in the correct order following the game.

[quote name='Corvin']I didn't say it wasn't archaic, quite frankly, it's a terrible system.[/QUOTE]

End of discussion. It shouldn't "blow your mind" that this happens. Check the boards everywhere. It happens to a lot of people, because the system is awful, and it bucks the trend that almost every game today has set. Like I said, nothing at all should make you think there is an auto-save feature, but the reality, people are use to it, so they assume. It happens. If people were chewing on their ODST discs and then wondering why they don't work, that should definitely blow your mind.

[quote name='life.exe']This might be what you are looking for:

Its a map with a link to the video for each audio file, I don't have the game so I am not sure if it is numbered in the correct order following the game.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what I used, but only for a few of them there were tucked away in buildings or something. Most of the logs are out in the open and hard to miss. Plus, if you've noticed, whenever you get remotely close to an active log, the Super will set off cues, like car alarms and traffic lights. Good luck finding them and enjoy. I liked the story that unraveled and really made me want to find them, which is generally not the case with collectibles.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']End of discussion. It shouldn't "blow your mind" that this happens. Check the boards everywhere. It happens to a lot of people, because the system is awful, and it bucks the trend that almost every game today has set.[/QUOTE]

It's not really bucking a trend if the three games preceding this one have the same exact save system, it's following a pattern. Bucking a trend would be if the first three had autosave and this changed it to save points on the map. What other games offer is irrelevant. i.e. GTAIV has autosave so ODST must? Nah, that argument doesn't work. It has to be judged on the basis of the franchise itself.

Why do people assume there is an autosave, especially when nothing anywhere mentions it, or pops up in the HUD?

Also, playing a game with an autosave feature and getting screwed by it sucks. For example, you get to a point to trigger the autosave only to realize you wasted every last drop of your ammo getting there and now everytime you restart you have to get your ass handed to you repeatedly because you have no ammo.

can whoever is maintaining the CAG FireFight account log in and accept the friends requests? Looks like it's been a while and some of us are still trying to get onto the list.

ODST is not quite the same as other Halos. In every other game, checkpoints are just your position in the level. If you want to start at the beginning of the level, there's no reason to save and quit - you can just select the proper level from the list when you want to start. But in ODST, thanks to the New Mombasa over-world, selecting a level from the list makes the game forget what levels you've completed, so you have to beat those levels again to access the end of the game (from Datahive on).

I think.

Ummmm guys. I never quit the game by any way other than the saving and quitting option. Not once. So wtf? And like I said, it is making me redo older levels while I have already completed levels ahead of it.

I once again tried to get somewhere on Legendary...I'm going to give up and just do it co-op. anyone willing to give it a go tomorrow night (maybe do a third or half the game)?

bread's done
Back