Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anxiety-Sweating-Reaction-Gif-In-Wanted-.gif
I was like that when I saw the Ending Song for High School DxD

man NeoGAF is full of rubes. People that think of themselves as experts because they have jobs, or they have children. These people don't read the threads at all before posting in them. Threads are in a perpetual state of drive-by, ignorant pot-shot posts and the threads fly quickly. IDK how people are in love with this site. Its best feature is to measure the daily weather forecast for what regular folks are spontaneously thinking.

It's made of "mature" adults that like to turn their noses up at non-members like an American Legion supper club or something.
the only use is they have people who are inside informants for sales numbers and the like. other than that I agree with you.

Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash Trailer Features Marie Rose, Honoka, And Ayane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7axzICtoY8

Yoko Taro’s Smartphone Game SINoALICE Samples Its Music By NieR Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vOhfbRCI0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLZZtZ_dTZ8

God Eater New Project second teaser trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbtI1PscW0k

Dragon Quest Heroes II ‘Meet the Heroes, Part IV: Terry & Carver’ trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1hAQX2ZCnk

Persona 5 DLC schedule announced

I pre ordered persona 5 last year cause I really like the series and loved Persona 4 specially golden.

And that CE looks really good and I'm a big fan of Atlus.

So Mass Effect, do I think its a masterpiece and an amazing game.

But I do like it, its a great game. Is it next gen amazing ? No

But i do love it. Just annoyed they didn't have a cool Collector's edition

I have some credit leftover on my JP account. Wonder if I should get these characters, or at least Ayane since she's my favorite. Hmm...

Also, regarding Fire Emblem heroes, I feel like the banner summon this time around was much more generous than previously (to me at least). I used like 50 orbs and managed to get Easter Lucina, Easter Camilla and even Easter Chrom. My priorities were Lucina and Camilla, so not getting Xander doesn't really bother me much. (I didn't really need Chrom either) And I still got plenty of orbs left over for whatever interesting banner comes next.

Anime Weekend Sale on Steam that lasts until next Tuesdays update:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/anime-weekend-sale/

Alternate (Full) List: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=4085&specials=1

Includes games, movies and TV shows. Seems to have at least a few decent deals in there.

Also surprised nobody has made the 'Christmas in July!' joke with regards to the Persona 5 DLC.

EDIT: And it looks like Atelier Sophie FINALLY got the story DLC that connects Sophie to the events leading up to Firis. I'll be re-listing it come Tuesday if it's still free then.

neoGAF is good for certain things.  The discussions threads for particular games are cool.  I just don't understand why the members are so hoity-toity.  they just use disguised language for banned words like "fanboy" too. 

They supposedly hold themselves to a higher standard but I see juvenile members acting out all the time. 

Pulled bunny Camilla in my first full summon session. Got Minerva in the last banner. Two michalis from ghb, regular Camilla, Cordelia and catria from gunning for Minerva. I now have too many options for my flier team in fire emblem heroes

Neogaf is a shithole.  

It used to be a good forum, I posted there for years, but now it's just an echo chamber with mods that ban anyone who disagrees with the hive mind.

you guys are lucky. I spent 40 orbs last night and I got squat.  I do have most of the makings for a flier team though.  Hinoka, Minerva, and 4* Michaelis and Caeda.  Just need to pull a bunny tome Camilla for archer killing.  She's essential for a flier team being that she's the only ranged damage and magic damage. You'd probably put bowbreaker on her too. 

Neogaf is a shithole.

It used to be a good forum, I posted there for years, but now it's just an echo chamber with mods that ban anyone who disagrees with the hive mind.
Think this is what generally happens with most community forums. It's great at first, but later devolves into a cesspool of narcissism.

MRW I see my post in that list

giphy.gif
Lol your post was fine and sounded like a normal person wrote it as opposed to crazy violent like most of the others

Anyway Winter 2014 is finally upon us - I remember when P5 got announced almost 5 years ago... jeez I've been waiting forever. Have most of you been anticipating it for a long time too? Can't believe the wait is almost over!

I remember when P5 got announced almost 5 years ago... jeez I've been waiting forever. Have most of you been anticipating it for a long time too?
I've been waiting for P5 since I got the True Ending in P4 on New Year's Eve in 2008.

The time is now. The magic is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0XFdFhkTuo

Looks like Trails in the Sky FC avatars got added to PSN finally. Not quite the images I was hoping for, but oh well. However anybody who has played the game will notice that Zane is now called Zin, which is his Japanese name. So we'll get an XSeed blog on that in the future and the PC versions will get a retroactive patch to fix that, but I'm not sure that the PSP versions will receive that patch.

Anyway Winter 2014 is finally upon us - I remember when P5 got announced almost 5 years ago... jeez I've been waiting forever. Have most of you been anticipating it for a long time too? Can't believe the wait is almost over!
I've learned to suppress any hype I have after announcements thanks to having to waiting four years to resolve a stupid cliffhanger at the end of Trails in the Sky because Falcom didn't want to end the game a few minutes prior. Now I only get mildly hyped a week to half a week prior to larger releases. Mostly because I plan to have games finished and not start anything prior to said game release. Though i still try and temper expectations going into anything.

Personally however, this game is second to Trails in the Sky the 3rd for me. I'm just glad that XSeed didn't have the balls to try and release it within the same week as Persona 5.

Anyone play Sakura Dungeon? Been thinking about picking it up and I see it's on sale now.
I tried one of the Sakura games that had actual gameplay once just to see why they're rated so highly and I can tell you that the gameplay was extremely basic. The games are basically nukige (I think is the term) and I couldn't find any value in it as an actual game. Plus the writing is very sub-par. The Steam version is obviously censored if there is any nudity to it.

I did pick up Princess Maker 2 Refine as I enjoy simulators though. Plus it gives me something relatively short to futz around with until Persona 5 besides the Titanfall 2 free weekend.

I've been avoiding reading spoilers and all discussion surrounding Persona 5.  So I have a question: am I going to need PS+ for any online features with the game?

Nier: Automata Soundtrack (Import) $39.99 Preorder, releases 4/7 It was originally $47 I think, then went to this price which might be msrp.

I might as well take this time to say that Nier: Automata has one of the best soundtracks I've ever listened to. It's on the level of FFXIII's soundtrack, and a lot of it reminds me of the music from Oerba. The one in the CE only had 10 tracks, so this one with 52 is more than worth it. 

The game is also very amazing, if some people were putting it off in anticipation of P5, I highly recommend getting to it soon. There are a ton of surprises in this game, and little details that I've never seen other games do. Shout outs to 2-B a.k.a Too Booty.

If anyone was looking for intelligent and welcoming discussions about Persona 5, it is our pick as Backloggers Anonymous Game of the Month (April). With a whopping 19 votes too!

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/355975-cag-niche-backloggers-anonymous-persona-5-april/

So come check us out and talk with others about the game and your impressions. I ask only that you keep an open mind and to refrain from spoilers or use a spoiler tag.

Corgstradamus' Backlog Support Group is also another friendly place to talk about games. You can speak your minds freely here, promote your stream, or discuss with others your opinion. Everyone is equal here, so there tends to be peaceful conversations.

Just wanted to say one more thing, if you are planning to binge through P4 this weekend right before P5 hits, I do not recommend doing so. There aren't much story elements that tie in between Persona games, and even if there are some returning characters, its usually a minimal cameo (I think a couple of months back someone spoiled it for P5, so please do not post it again as I already forgot - Thank Goodness for my forgetful memory... never thought I'd say that.) The worse thing is that it's easy to get tiresome of the gameplay, as well as miss the characters from the previous entry. One of the reasons I did not really like P4 when it first came out. I played it right after I beat P3 Fes, and at that time I was tired sick of the gameplay, and missed my companions in P3 and had little interest in P4's story/characters. So take a little break beforehand.

Nier: Automata Soundtrack (Import) $39.99 Preorder, releases 4/7 It was originally $47 I think, then went to this price which might be msrp.

I might as well take this time to say that Nier: Automata has one of the best soundtracks I've ever listened to. It's on the level of FFXIII's soundtrack, and a lot of it reminds me of the music from Oerba. The one in the CE only had 10 tracks, so this one with 52 is more than worth it.

The game is also very amazing, if some people were putting it off in anticipation of P5, I highly recommend getting to it soon. There are a ton of surprises in this game, and little details that I've never seen other games do. Shout outs to 2-B a.k.a Too Booty.

If anyone was looking for intelligent and welcoming discussions about Persona 5, it is our pick as Backloggers Anonymous Game of the Month (April). With a whopping 19 votes too!

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/355975-cag-niche-backloggers-anonymous-persona-5-april/

So come check us out and talk with others about the game and your impressions. I ask only that you keep an open mind and to refrain from spoilers or use a spoiler tag.

Corgstradamus' Backlog Support Group is also another friendly place to talk about games. You can speak your minds freely here, promote your stream, or discuss with others your opinion. Everyone is equal here, so there tends to be peaceful conversations.

Just wanted to say one more thing, if you are planning to binge through P4 this weekend right before P5 hits, I do not recommend doing so. There aren't much story elements that tie in between Persona games, and even if there are some returning characters, its usually a minimal cameo (I think a couple of months back someone spoiled it for P5, so please do not post it again as I already forgot - Thank Goodness for my forgetful memory... never thought I'd say that.) The worse thing is that it's easy to get tiresome of the gameplay, as well as miss the characters from the previous entry. One of the reasons I did not really like P4 when it first came out. I played it right after I beat P3 Fes, and at that time I was tired sick of the gameplay, and missed my companions in P3 and had little interest in P4's story/characters. So take a little break beforehand.
Good advice. It's been 6 months since I platted P4G so I think I'm ready now.

Nier: Automata Soundtrack (Import) $39.99 Preorder, releases 4/7 It was originally $47 I think, then went to this price which might be msrp.

I received my copy of this soundtrack today, with the first print bonus Hacking Tracks disc. The whole thing is fantastic.

Nier was my second most anticipated game for this year. I certainly didn't put it off waiting for persona, I just didn't expect tales of berseria to take 80 hours to finish. I just finished tales and now there's only 4 days until persona, not enough time to play nier.

Playing a game at release certainly isn't what I would call clearing the backlog!

I played Tokyo mirage sessions for over 200 hours across 3 months, I don't think I'm capable of getting sick of SMT gameplay.

Spent my first money in FE:H tonight....not good lol.  75 orbs, would not buy again. 120 orbs spent this banner, no bunnies.  I pulled mostly just blues and greens.  At least got a couple nice inheritables though. 

Spent my first money in FE:H tonight....not good lol. 75 orbs, would not buy again. 120 orbs spent this banner, no bunnies. I pulled mostly just blues and greens. At least got a couple nice inheritables though.
I was tempted to possibly do so on my main, and now that I know Bunny Camilla is amazing.

Gerrrrrrrr, damn you FEH. ~_~

YVwP1UF.gif

You're bringing me way down about how the THREE bunny characters you got were not the ONE that you wanted.

;)
Sooo, since we're talking about FEH again, I finally had some down time to start playing this again and managed to roll a 5* Effie and Bunny Camila.

For those who've gotten pretty far already, thoughts on whether this is a good start or should I try for reroll again?

Was hoping to get Takumi (like everyone else), and I also don't have any good healers -- rolled a 4* Sakura with my bunny.

Sooo, since we're talking about FEH again, I finally had some down time to start playing this again and managed to roll a 5* Effie and Bunny Camila.

For those who've gotten pretty far already, thoughts on whether this is a good start or should I try for reroll again?

Was hoping to get Takumi (like everyone else), and I also don't have any good healers -- rolled a 4* Sakura with my bunny.
Perfect start honestly. Rare enough to roll one 5.

Effie may seem boring at first, but she was a great knight before skill inheritance and she's gained a lot more versatility since then.

Pivot, Aegis/Escutcheon, and Threaten atk/def (along with Brave lances for the wealthy)

bread's done
Back