Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this will interest anybody this late, but Cladun X2 is free to play for the next 26 hours or so on Steam. Technically it does have a demo on PC already, but this is the full game. It would have been more useful had I noticed sooner, but I only noticed in the recent NISA email.

Forgot Mangagamer Anime Boston 2017 Announcements:

Trinoline

Sweet Young Bride ~ Our Married Life Begins

Hashihime of Old Book Town

Trinoline is another Minori game that just came out in Japan. Oh I can't wait for this one!

Sweet Young Bride looks alright and has an interesting premise. I would probably get it on sale.

Hashihime is a BL game but the graphics look really good. Not for me but looks high quaity.

Interesting set of announcements, but more Minori games being localized is always good news.

They make persona a yearly online only fps developed by infinity ward, which gets extra censored in the US and never make a main story persona ever again.
Don't forget that every match ends in a Draw because everyone keeps shooting themselves in the head instead.

I'm excited to play Nier Automata.  I like how it keeps staying relevant in under the radar news and word of mouth.  However, I won't have time to play it until May with P5 coming out in just THREE DAYS!!!  It also feels like Nier is in line for a huge price drop pretty soon.  Its exposure has felt quite limited, plus we all know how SE likes to cannibalize it's own value. Nier's aesthetic and music sure seems cool.

#FakeNews

But since we talked about it earlier this week.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed: Turbo Edition Speeds Towards Nintendo Switch

If only it were true tho just for Miku... someday... maybe...

asrtte1.png

Bundlestars has an IFI sale going. That in itself isn't exciting, but I noticed they have the NepVII DLC on sale which has never gone on sale on Steam. 50% off each, so I might grab the character dlc at least.

My Amazon Pre Order for Persona 5 is now slated for Thursday.

Wtf Amazon
Ditto, contacted them and they said they would ship it with "High Priority" to arrive by Tuesday, even though it still says Thursday. Not really mad since I wouldnt have much time to play it till Wednesday night anyway, but still....

Ditto, contacted them and they said they would ship it with "High Priority" to arrive by Tuesday, even though it still says Thursday. Not really mad since I wouldnt have much time to play it till Wednesday night anyway, but still....
I literally saw it say Tuesday this morning. And when I went to pay off the pre order a few hours ago, I saw it say Thursday. Not really cool of Amazon especially when I had it pre ordered since it first went up in June. :T

I'll probably contact them in a day or so. I was going to take the day off to play it on Tuesday. Otherwise, I would hve to wait till Saturday to actually get to it.

Amazon claims the need to check for harmful substances on my pre order of Persona 5 TYH Premium is the reason for the Thursday delay. gg

Amazon claims the need to check for harmful substances on my pre order of Persona 5 TYH Premium is the reason for the Thursday delay. gg
Has Atlus or Amazon stated what this "harmful substance" is? I'm starting to worry by Wednesday morning media outlets are going to cover this with a headline like "Persona Wide Spread Massacre: Adachi Gets The Last Laugh".

Has Atlus or Amazon stated what this "harmful substance" is? I'm starting to worry by Wednesday morning media outlets are going to cover this with a headline like "Persona Wide Spread Massacre: Adachi Gets The Last Laugh".
There is no harmful substance. Atlus confirmed it that it was a mistake made by Amazon

My P5 Steelbook is preparing for shipment from Amazon. It better get here Tuesday because I stopped Zelda for this. I mean I did beat Zelda, but I barely scratched any side activities in the game.

I really wish that Sonic All Stars Racing game was real. I would buy that, hell probably over Mario Kart 8.

My Persona 5 steelbook from Best Buy arrived yesterday right before I went to bed.  They actually shipped it in a box with air packets!  Which is a first for me as I usually get the bubble mailers for these things.  It's freaking gorgeous looking and straight into the backlog it goes as I don't have time to start a rpg right now. :lol:

So, yeah, Persona 5. Technically we also have the Shovel Knight expansion on PC, but even though I own it already it will be backburnered. Although Slime-san does look interesting. Lets see if I can write-up that Firis summary before Tuesday.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Companion (Visual Novel)
- Project LUX (VR / Mystery? / Early Access)
- PacaPlus (Visual Novel / Alpaca)
- Battleship Bishojo (Visual Novel)
- Elisa: the Innkeeper (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (April 2nd - April 8th)

Dragon Sinker
- Platform(s): 3DS eShop
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: KEMCO mobile game port.

Persona 5
- Platform(s): PS3 & PS4
- Genre: RPG
- Online: Kinda.
- Comments: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

PaRappa the Rapper Remastered
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Rhythm
- Demo: Yes.
- Comments: Digital only. Asia physical version includes English.

Dead Rising 4: Frank Rising (DLC)
- Platform(s): X1
- Genre: Survival Horror / Beat'em'Up
- Comments: Single player only. No idea when the PC version will be releasing.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Platformer
- Comments: Previously released on the Switch. Other platforms coming later after Sony/Microsoft approval.

ECHOPLEX (Early Access)
- Genre: Cyber-horror / Puzzle
- Comments: South African dev.

BULLET SOUL / バレットソウル -弾魂-
- Genre: SHMUP / Bullet Hell
- Online: Maybe? Definitly has local.
- Comments: Seems to have online multiplayer? Previously released on the Xbox 360 and includes both DLCs.

Slime-san
- Genre: Platformer / Fast-Paced
- Online: Local only.
- Comments: Paint the worm green from the inside!

Past Releases
March 26th - April 1st
March 19th - March 25th
March 12th - March 18th
March 5th - March 11th
February 26th - March 4th

Do you guys use a guide when playing Persona?  You know, just for the classroom questions and social link order to best advance and max out your attributes. 

Do you guys use a guide when playing Persona? You know, just for the classroom questions and social link order to best advance and max out your attributes.
When I played persona 4 on the vita, I used a guide for the classroom questions (I'd try and guess but I would check a guide before submitting it), but I just decided to wing the social link stuff, because I wanted the freedom of choosing my own schedule in game. It wasn't very efficient, but it was more fun that way.

Do you guys use a guide when playing Persona? You know, just for the classroom questions and social link order to best advance and max out your attributes.
Nope, no guide for me. I like to just see how everything turns out, so I have never used a guide for any of my persona playthroughs. This time around though, I think I might use one for my second playthrough of the game. But for my first time through, I want to just see what happens. I usually do well on the classroom questions on my own. And I try to work all links to a degree but making sure I max out the ones I like the best.

Plus since this is one of my most anticipated games, I have done a nearly complete media blackout on it. I've watched no trailers, avoided reading as many comments on it as I can - pretty much only have seen a few pics from the atlus emails lol. So I don't want to accidentally bump into any extra information I don't want to see if I were to look up anything.

No. this is a game I will replay. I'll get that perfect playthrough eventually. I may check out how to optimize a playthrough after the first time though.

Is this game any good?
I enjoyed it a lot. The game is repetitive at times, but the feeling of taking out the Titans as efficiently as possible as well as grouping up with 3 other people online bring up a whole new meaning to titan-killing machine.

I'm tempted to re-buy this game since Season 2 just started. The game being on sale might push me towards it.

I actually almost 100% Persona 3 without a guide. I also restarted mid game....cause i forgot what was happening after taking a break. P4 i just went through it as well. I will do the same with Persona 5. I will say i really don't like playing games with guides. I use it for some (mainly Yakuza side stories.....some are very, very hard to find), but for the most part i refuse to use guides.

People are very entitled and just use the guides to 100% the stories and 100% the trophies. No sense of adventure from people anymore. I use them as a last resort, such as an ending I can't get in a visual novel, or to actually find the sub stories for the Yakuza games (doesn't help with the mass amount of loading everywhere).

I used a guide for the outdoor bath section of my first Persona 3 playthrough because
image.jpg

Otherwise, I've only used persona fusion guides.

Will be using a spoiler free guide for Persona 5 so I can get all Confidant, social attributes, mementos, books, and video game in one play through.  I am only going to play the game once and I want to get the most out of my experience.

I might use a max social link / max attributes guide.  I don't plan on doing a second playthrough of a 100+ hour game.  Plus it's nice to see the romances. 

Yes. Mostly because I don't know jpn crap so alot of the questions are either that or google much like digimon cyber sluts.

Anywho finished cold steel 2 finally. Put over 86 hours into that. Didn't think it would take over a month to finish.

My next game poll is up for those who want to vote. https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/220-rpgs-everything-else/75188739

Does anyone know what the current situation is on Fire Emblem Echoes LE? I was going to hope for a restock at amazon, but if doesn't go through, is it still available anywhere else?

Does anyone know what the current situation is on Fire Emblem Echoes LE? I was going to hope for a restock at amazon, but if doesn't go through, is it still available anywhere else?
gamestop and nintendo are the only other places I know of. Edit nintendo lists best buy and walmart as sellers too. best buy and gamestop list as sold out. good luck trying to get one since fire emblem always sells out and is super hard to get the le/ce for. Short of restocks or popping up on awd your only other shot is scalpers.

About 90% sure I'm gonna do a clean playthrough first since I have waited for this game so long, feels like I'd be ruining it with a guide. I definitely know using trophy guides in some other games has ruined the enjoyment for me

Will be using a spoiler free guide for Persona 5 so I can get all Confidant, social attributes, mementos, books, and video game in one play through. I am only going to play the game once and I want to get the most out of my experience.
Do you have a link to a spolier free guide?

I used a guide on my 2nd playthrough of P4G, had to the first one I kinda butchered it not knowing what I was doing.  :whistle2:

bread's done
Back