Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I swear to God, Im going to pistol whip the next person who talks about Fire Emblem.
Sounds like somebody needs a chocolate egg.

Camilla-Spring-Festival-Full.png

You keep making all these new accounts to roll on.  But I know you're secretly a whale that has spent hundreds.  ;)  Are you even on my friends list?  I don't know who you are. 

@Itzd4n: yeah that is a starting squad you definitely keep. 

You keep making all these new accounts to roll on. But I know you're secretly a whale that has spent hundreds. ;) Are you even on my friends list? I don't know who you are.
XD

I mean, I was pretty content with my main for awhile, but after I didn't get Bunny Camilla, and I ran out of orbs...well, you know the rest. :*(

April Fool's!

But yeah, the timing is truly awful on this announcement, lol.

Couldn't have done this last weekend or the next? XD
Ugh, now that I'm looking at the comments on Facebook, it looks like it really is an April Fool's joke. That speaks really poorly of Bandai-Namco, as I don't even see how this is funny, just cruel.

Might be a decent excuse to finally grab Kindred Spirits, even if the discount's pretty lackluster. Has anyone tried it? Is it as cute as the trailers indicate?
Well I went ahead and got the bundle with the drama CDs, too, because apparently I didn't need those $60.

Preying on innocent yuri fans, grumble grumble.

Ugh, now that I'm looking at the comments on Facebook, it looks like it really is an April Fool's joke. That speaks really poorly of Bandai-Namco, as I don't even see how this is funny, just cruel.
It's going to turn out to be real I bet. Companies have been using April Fool's to announce games and dlc recently for some reason.

I know there's a thread dedicated to it but I'd rather post it here

20% off expires tonight (PSN): 9DKEC6KJ72

I compare Tales of Berseria to Tales of Vesperia here. Spoiler I like Vesperia more. I hope to write an actual review and do a video review of the game, but that might not materialize for quite a while. Because I'm lazy.

I think both games had good stories. Neither are amazing but both good. Berseria story is a unique take since your party are pseudo villains but certainly doesn't make it better than vesperia. I did enjoy the amount of world building put into berseria with all the npc dialogue voiced and unvoiced. It's impressive how much voicework there is in berseria, but in contrast the animations or lack there of in this game was quite disappointing. Ufotable is an amazing animation studio, actually use their talents instead of using the lackluster 3D animated cutscenes. It doesn't make sense that they're bad since the battle animations are impressive.

Battle system is in no way better, yeah you get a s*** ton more artes but you just mash the same button over and over... at least in vesperia you are required to press different buttons to combo. Soul system makes you focus more on enemy weakness which I suppose is good but at the same time it felt so restricting being stuck using 1-2 artes

The equipment system in berseria is garbage. Constantly going in and out of the menus changing the equipment to master the next equipment, yet have a system where it's better to use upgraded equipment is much more beneficial. The contradiction man. And f*** the resource grind to upgrade equipment, that's just a lot of wasted time in the shops. I spent approximately 15 hours out of 80 hours of playtime in menus and it 100% did not feel worthwhile. Vesperias equipment system was simple yes but it was good.

The characters between both games are pretty good. I prefer vesperia since all of the characters had development throughout the story but berserias was a well balanced group, though only half of them had character development while the other half you just learn about their past. They were all generally likeable.

Music is a wash since I don't remember much of vesperia ost.

Where is berseria actually better than vesperia? Well graphics but that should be expected. And low load times, a true improvement.

Oh yeah I also hate random drops to fill out the equipment book. Another negative for the equipment system. Opening treasure chests was uneventful in this game because of the garbage equipment system too never felt like I got anything valuable. Grinding for katz chests awful. Requiring only 90-95% of stuff to unlock the trophies I was ok with. The pacing of the skits was not great I recall getting them one at a time or sometimes 2, rarely 3 skits at once in vesperia, but in vesperia they seemingly always came in bunches of 3 or more.

I know there's a thread dedicated to it but I'd rather post it here

20% off expires tonight (PSN): 9DKEC6KJ72
Not that I was going to use it, but sadly it got lurked. I think spoiler tags would at least prevent guests from seeing it though? But anyways, I'll say thanks on their behalf.

I'd rather have an Onimusha sequel than a hd collection.
also it would be pretty cool if the old lady was in senran. kinda like a joke character people would hesitate to shoot you as.

When did April Fool's Day change from actual pranks to just fake news, anyway?

also it would be pretty cool if the old lady was in senran. kinda like a joke character people would hesitate to shoot you as.
You don't need to make excuses, this is the internet. I think we've all seen weirder fetishes than granny chasing.

When did April Fool's Day change from actual pranks to just fake news, anyway?

You don't need to make excuses, this is the internet. I think we've all seen weirder fetishes than granny chasing.
thanks, i feel so relieved :D
now if senran could only introduce some midget characters next.

Well I don't see it listed in the description of either Amazon's or Deep Discount's preorder
I think it is exclusive to certain stores such as Amazon Japan (3rd party sellers only now), CDJapan (out of stock), and the European Square Enix Store. No word yet on whether the NA Square Enix store will carry it.

I know it's unreasonable, but I am still mad at UPS.

My persona 5 shipped from upstate NY on Friday, yet it still tells me the estimate delivery date is next Tuesday even though I live in Long Island, NY...

This is the longest week in my life....

What exactly is the hacking tracks disc? Remixes? Also is that disc packaged with the original soundtrack or is it included separately?
It includes 12 tracks of the 8-bit remixes that play during the game's hacking segments. It's exclusive to the first printing.

Automata is a 3-disc soundtrack in its own case. The hacking disc is in a separate thin case.

Great Mangagamer April Fools EROGAWKER (I need thisssssssssssssssss)

Link NSFW

On another note the other night I decided to beat Heart De Roomatte again from an old visual novel bundle. Yeah that game is horribly outdated. Very one dimensional characters and a pretty corny episode system format. Decent graphics (must play full screen...windowed is tiny). Just not a very good VN.....probably a 6/10 if i'm being generous. I do have to say it honestly shows a high school romance and the endings reflect that. Pretty realistic endings honestly.

bread's done
Back