Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yakuza Kiwami will apparently have a $29.99 MSRP and release on 8/29. Amazon has a Steelbook Edition up for the same price, though the Prime discount isn't active yet: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=yakuza+kiwami

unnamed.jpg

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/04/12/yakuza-kiwami-western-release-date/

Yakuza Kiwami will apparently have a $29.99 MSRP and release on 8/29. Amazon has a Steelbook Edition up for the same price, though the Prime discount isn't active yet: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=yakuza+kiwami

unnamed.jpg
Anyone know if this offers much over the original beyond the improved graphics? I've got the Japanese HD port to PS3, so I'm kinda on the fence.

Anyone know if this offers much over the original beyond the improved graphics? I've got the Japanese HD port to PS3, so I'm kinda on the fence.
It adds the different fighting styles from Yakuza 0 in addition to the original one, adds the Majima confrontation quests and some new side games (pocket car racing, battle bug beauties, ...)

For $30 that is a damn good deal, and the steelbook makes that even more better. Definitely getting it day one.

unnamed.jpg

This year just keeps getting better and better. It's so nice when you get three years into the console's life cycle and the titles just start flowing.

Yeah people are lucky that didn't buy the PS4 right away...get a pro now and lots of games. Those first games when it first came out where pretty lame. I think once PS4 got Bloodborne it went only uphill from then on.

Always day one for Yakuza games for me...plus sexy steel book.

Anybody sold there "soma" free dlc to get that 50k cash? Was it worth the sacrifice of full hp and sp? I play final fantasy games and hardly use elixirs which seems like the counter part of soma.

I restarted my file and im back at point where il infiltrate the 1st palace and need to prepare. I wana do it in one day so i can try and do that no spoiler walkthrough. Hehe! So im debating to sell the soma to make the task bearable. Il be buying some armor upgrades, lottery tickets and some good hp meds.

Also did any of you guys buy the dlcs like the different persona sets? Is it worth the price tags? This is my 1st persona game and i would like to get the best experience i can get. Hehe! Thanks guys!

Anybody sold there "soma" free dlc to get that 50k cash? Was it worth the sacrifice of full hp and sp? I play final fantasy games and hardly use elixirs which seems like the counter part of soma.

I restarted my file and im back at point where il infiltrate the 1st palace and need to prepare. I wana do it in one day so i can try and do that no spoiler walkthrough. Hehe! So im debating to sell the soma to make the task bearable. Il be buying some armor upgrades, lottery tickets and some good hp meds.

Also did any of you guys buy the dlcs like the different persona sets? Is it worth the price tags? This is my 1st persona game and i would like to get the best experience i can get. Hehe! Thanks guys!
The Soma seems like it's best used as either 50k cash at the start, or else used at the midpoint of the first dungeon in order for you to complete the entire dungeon in one day. You will start acquiring other minor, single-character-use SP recovery items after that.

I just finished the second dungeon and I am fairly cash-strapped. Haven't been able to buy any ranged weapon upgrades yet, and had to skip the second round of melee upgrades. I'd probably sell it if I were you.

The Soma seems like it's best used as either 50k cash at the start, or else used at the midpoint of the first dungeon in order for you to complete the entire dungeon in one day. You will start acquiring other minor, single-character-use SP recovery items after that.

I just finished the second dungeon and I am fairly cash-strapped. Haven't been able to buy any ranged weapon upgrades yet, and had to skip the second round of melee upgrades. I'd probably sell it if I were you.
I honestly wouldn't even bother too much with upgrading guns. From what I've seen the only real reason to use them is to hit weaknesses not to actually inflict damage. I'm in the fifth dungeon and I haven't really bothered with them and I've been fine.

Except you keep switching back to the Phantom Thieves outfits anyways. Like in scenes and after a all-out attack. And protagonist keeps pulling his gloves, when he's not wearing any. I switched it back cause it got annoying.

All this third party stuff coming to the Switch is great. And no more region-locking makes that fact even better.

I'm also considering Fate/Extella for Switch..... And that'll be the third time I buy the game lol

Playing the Palace with the Regular Clothes DLC is too gud. I dont have to keep watching them with their Phantom Thieves outfit now
Whats wrong with the Phantom Thieves outfits? Some of them are pretty sexy.

There's a bunch of little things with the mannerisms I don't really get. Like why only Ann calls Ryuji, "Sakamoto" and why only Ryuji calls Ann "Takamaki."

I'll be curious to see how these niche japanese games sell on the Switch. It's clear the devs are interested but  is the consumer base going to be there?

I'll be curious to see how these niche japanese games sell on the Switch. It's clear the devs are interested but is the consumer base going to be there?
Doesn't look like much of a game right now. Obviously just a tech demo for possible titles. Just look at the 3DS Senran games. The install base was already huge, but they still left the platform so they could focus on Vita/PS4.

There's a bunch of little things with the mannerisms I don't really get. Like why only Ann calls Ryuji, "Sakamoto" and why only Ryuji calls Ann "Takamaki."
I can look at Anne and makoto in their thief outfit all day.

Probably because they have known each since middle school but were never that close. After years of calling each other the same thing it just stuck. Would be more weird to start calling them by their first name. Do note that they don't use honorifics with each other so they are speaking on a familiar level. Im pretty sure that Yusuke refers to anne as takamaki san which makes sense since they have only recently met

But Ann is sexy out of her Phantom Thief outfit regardless

Question regarding Hierophant confidant:

When you are trying to raise your confidant level, why wouldn't you make coffee every time instead of 'spend time with Sojiro'?  I'm at a spot where I can't raise his rank on our next hangout.  But making coffee gives you +2 music notes.  Shouldn't that be the same as hanging out with him?  Spending time gives +2 as well. 

Shouldn't you just make coffee every time instead of spending time with him? (if you're not going to rank up)

There are times that the guide tells you to spend time with him and this doesn't make any sense to me.

Question regarding Hierophant confidant:

When you are trying to raise your confidant level, why wouldn't you make coffee every time instead of 'spend time with Sojiro'? I'm at a spot where I can't raise his rank on our next hangout. But making coffee gives you +2 music notes. Shouldn't that be the same as hanging out with him? Spending time gives +2 as well.

Shouldn't you just make coffee every time instead of spending time with him? (if you're not going to rank up)
He stops showing up after teaching you about the 4 different roasts. I think it was 4 anyway.
This man is like freaking dojima. Incredibly hard to rank up.

I wonder if the switch will be the next go to portable for japanese devs after the vita is obsolete.

Kinda bummed that there's a fate extella complete with all dlc already and it hasn't even been out a year in japan yet. I already bought the costumes I want anyway.

But Ann is sexy out of her Phantom Thief outfit regardless
L-lewd.

[media]https://twitter.com/marvelous_games/status/852457583730348032[/media]

Atlus Reveals Digital Deluxe Package for The Caligula Effect With Free Swimsuit DLC and More

"The publisher revealed that players who purchase the game will receive a theme featuring μ and various characters, 19 avatars, AND a swimsuit costume DLC pack for $39.99."

Layton’s Mystery Journey, formerly Lady Layton, launches for 3DS in Japan and smartphones worldwide on July 20

Omega Quintet Coming to PC From Ghostlight; New Screenshots

Tekken 7 Gets New Gameplay Footage of Jin vs. Xiaoyu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9rfFM16dM

bread's done
Back