Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Woooah that new Blue Reflection trailer makes that game looks way skeevier than I thought it'd be. That Yakuza 0 steelbook looks amazing though, def pre-ordering.

Really funny how no one gave a shit about this thing for the last month or two either. Weird how everyone cares all of a sudden. Gee I wonder why.
I get what you're saying, but I think the reason people stopped caring was because a lot of them just assumed they'd be easier to find later on. This end of production really only made fans playing the waiting game left out in the cold, and scalpers putting an even higher premium on their stock.

So uh, anybody romanticizing the teacher in P5? Why the hell do I always go for the teachers.
I'm still too much of a pussy, but I attempted.

Also, I asked this before but does Caroline and Justine remind anyone else of Rom and Ram?
Just reminds me of generic-ish tsuntsun deredere combo.

Though they remind me more of Anchovy and Darjeeling than anything.

girls-und-panzer-kore-ga-hontou-no-anzio-sen-desu-1.jpg

Darjeeling001.jpg

Persona 5:

Sending out the calling card today for the 1st palace. Will probably have 3 lockpicks before i go in. Havent open any of the chest inside. Anybody know if anything is worthwhile to backtrack?
you can easily backtrack through the safe rooms. As far as I know, Morgana cockblocks you when you try to make more than 3, even when there are enough materials to make a ton of them.

So uh, anybody romanticizing the teacher in P5? Why the hell do I always go for the teachers.
I totally dig Sadayo. I mean Becky

everytime I read becky it makes me think of the one armed teacher from funkywinkerbean and the running gag of saying something like can you give me a hand whoops sorry becky.

I think the armor is the 1st locked chest. I opened that one during my 1st playthrough before i restarted the game. Hehe! Where is the morgana weapon? Just dont want to waste the lockpicks if i can pinpoint what to open. Trying to search it online but to no avail. Most guides only mention daily tasks.
Bottom of spiral stairs.

Really funny how no one gave a shit about this thing for the last month or two either. Weird how everyone cares all of a sudden. Gee I wonder why.
You were able to crack the mystery on why people who may have had trouble getting a limited product "suddenly" care after it was announced that it would be discontinued? Please share!

Do not know if it was posted here or not, if so my bad.

But to all the FE Heroes Fate/Grand Order is coming to the US this summer.

Fate/Grand Order
This is great news, but at the same time it kinda leaves people who currently play the Japanese version like me in a tough spot.

They mentioned there is no way to transfer Japanese accounts to English ones. (Which kinda makes sense since the English one would be almost 2 years behind in content.)

The other issue is the chance that they implement an IP ban after the English version is released. That would mean all the time/money I've spend on the Japanese version would pretty much go down the drain.

Honestly, if it came down to that I would be pretty much done with the game and never look back (no matter if they put it in English). However, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

We found the resident Nintendo employee on CAG!
You were able to crack the mystery on why people who may have had trouble getting a limited product "suddenly" care after it was announced that it would be discontinued? Please share!
After the news on Thursday, I decided I wanted another NES classic. So I set the alarm for 6:20am, woke up, and went to Target that was showing units on brickseek before they opened, and bought one. You know, like an adult. Try acting like one sometime.

I just came to a sudden realization:  Kamoshida = Vincent from Catherine.

After his studious girlfriend left him for lusting over a young succubus and not growing up and maturing, Vincent started a vigorous weightlifting regiment.  Vincent reinvents himself as Kamoshida and becomes a PE teacher at a local high school where he was able to continue leching over young women like the one he used to fantasize about.  He takes out his anger on all the students due to his inner angst and anguish from his betrothed leaving him.  He still has nightmares to this day.

14332a8f465607512dceb20c62ac9582.jpg

catherine-vincent-t-shirt.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

After the news on Thursday, I decided I wanted another NES classic. So I set the alarm for 6:20am, woke up, and went to Target that was showing units on brickseek before they opened, and bought one. You know, like an adult. Try acting line one sometime.

Or else continue to be one of the countless entitled gaming rubes too idc.
Maybe you can send Nintendo a check in the mail for the money they lost on that sale.

everytime I read becky it makes me think of the one armed teacher from funkywinkerbean and the running gag of saying something like can you give me a hand whoops sorry becky.
When I hear Becky, I remember the lonely and single teacher from No Rin

Vincent didn't win an Olympic Medal though

I just came to a sudden realization: Kamoshida = Vincent from Catherine.
After his studious girlfriend left him for lusting over a young succubus and not growing up and maturing, Vincent started a vigorous weightlifting regiment. Vincent reinvents himself as Kamoshida and becomes a PE teacher at a local high school where he was able to continue leching over young women like the one he used to fantasize about. He takes out his anger on all the students due to his inner angst and anguish from his betrothed leaving him. He still has nightmares to this day.

maxresdefault.jpg
So what you're saying is he won a gold medal for climbing blocks, not volleyball.

After the news on Thursday, I decided I wanted another NES classic. So I set the alarm for 6:20am, woke up, and went to Target that was showing units on brickseek before they opened, and bought one. You know, like an adult. Try acting like one sometime.
I stood in line when they were released. I watched as the cutoff ended with the group of 6 talking the entire time about how much they were going to sell them for. I read about possible restocks, and checked both online and physical stores on a regular basis.

I did all of this like an adult, and was unable to even get one system let alone two.

Star Wars Battlefront II launches November 17, full length trailer reveal and first details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae-JjbLsgA

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Won't Have a Season Pass

>tfw many interested won't get it until around a year later including BlackRockWaifu.

ojwvep5aQr1twgfw0o1_500s_zpsxndpahli.gif

At the very least if PlayStation does a bundle with a digital download code for the full game I can buy it cheap on eBay for BlackRockWaifu.
Hopefully the game has more of a Battlefield/Original Battlefront feel. I just couldn't get into the last one no matter how hard I tried, and it got SO boring by the time I was nearing max level (Which I think was like 50 in the vanilla pre-DLC?). I did really love the feeling of getting Luke or Vader and just mowing down mobs of enemies though
I feel I'm the only person who enjoyed EA's Battlefront, but then again I never played the original games to compare them.

So where is Darth Revan
Hanging out with Kyle Katarn watching The Star Wars Holiday Special.

Went in a little too hard in the second palace. I was fusing my personas before leaving for the calling card and noticed that the average level for people here is 15. I'm 21 with a null physical/gun Shiki-Ouji. I feel bad for the boss and any future enemies

I stood in line when they were released. I watched as the cutoff ended with the group of 6 talking the entire time about how much they were going to sell them for. I read about possible restocks, and checked both online and physical stores on a regular basis.

I did all of this like an adult, and was unable to even get one system let alone two.
I drove to every Walmart/Target in the area that claimed to have stock on Brickseek in my own car that I own and paid for, like an adult. Still couldn't get one. 100% sure both Walmarts lied and fucked me over since they all updated to 0 stock barely a few hours after I went.

I managed to get one for my brother for Christmas, and even that took a shit ton of calling and driving and camping to locate.

Went in a little too hard in the second palace. I was fusing my personas before leaving for the calling card and noticed that the average level for people here is 15. I'm 21 with a null physical/gun Shiki-Ouji. I feel bad for the boss and any future enemies
I was 5 levels or so above the average for quite a while. Now at the end, I'm like 5 levels under. I guess people really wanted to try and complete the compendium, so they grinded out money. I sure as hell fought damn near every enemy, including a lot of backtracking. Plus quite a bit of the side dungeon too.

I drove to every Walmart/Target in the area that claimed to have stock on Brickseek in my own car that I own and paid for, like an adult. Still couldn't get one. 100% sure both Walmarts lied and fucked me over since they all updated to 0 stock barely a few hours after I went.

I managed to get one for my brother for Christmas, and even that took a shit ton of calling and driving and camping to locate.
You're not using brickseek properly. Ignore Walmart; their counts are always off. Even when they get things in stock they don't make it to the sales floor in any sort of orderly fashion. Use Target. Refresh the 0 counts during the day. When you're refreshing it late at night and you see a 0 count store populate to a quantity of a few that means they received stock in on their truck. That stock should be available when the store opens in the AM, first come first serve. The better stores will give tickets to people waiting in line a few minutes before opening.

in any case, what you are watching for is a positive increase in inventory #s. When the #s go up, the store received more stock. Stagnant amounts can be stolen, the count is off, pre-orders, holds, employees hiding packages, even layaway.

You're not using brickseek properly. Ignore Walmart; their counts are always off. Even when they get things in stock they don't make it to the sales floor in any sort of orderly fashion. Use Target. Refresh the 0 counts during the day. When you're refreshing it at night and you see a 0 count store populate to a quantity of a few that means they got stock in on their truck. That stock should be available when the store opens in the AM, first come first serve. The better stores will also give tickets to people waiting in line a few minutes before opening.

in any case, what you are watching for is a positive increase in inventory #s. When the #s go up, the store received more stock. Small stagnant amounts can be stolen, the count is off, pre-orders, holds, employees hiding packages, even layaway.
I havent seen a Targets restock here in ages, and the couple stores that did were either insanely out of my way (Like 20+ miles), or it happened while I was at school or work and unable to go.

The Walmarts that did update DID apparently have them in stock (As some other local cags here posted about the same area as well), but one store got hoarded, and the other gave out misinformation and apparently sold them at midnight or something

I gave up on Gamestop since its even harder to check their stock and the few employees I know well have told me people are camping out often, which I can't do on most days because of my schedule.

My biggest P5 progress issue so far has been
getting the damn PM from Ryuji to trigger the nightly meetup to advance his rank past rank 6. I missed the chance once or twice bc of infiltration and being tired at night or something. Finally got it done just now on 7/1.

I'm so far off the course of the walkthrough it's not even funny. Studied like four times at the diner because there was nothing else to advance during the afternoon.

Does the 3rd boss
Fat Mafia Boss
remind anyone else of Donald Trump?
I've been trying to put my finger on this one as well. I can't quite come up with who he best resembles because he loosely resembles quite a few different characters. My first inclination was
Nathan from South Park

Finished P5. Ending super hype, well worth the trip, even if it does drag in the middle and the constant spam from your friends everyday about them worrying if it's going to be all right postponing the dungeon trip/waiting for the deadline after the dungeon. 

Like, c'mon guys, get a life and some maids to plow at night. 

A few interesting looking releases this week. Those are Shiness, Silver Case, Wonder Boy and Red Obsidian Remnant. Granted Silver Case is already out on PC, so there are reviews on how the English version of it is already.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- Asura (ARPG | Indian Dev)
- Twist of Destiny (RPG | Early Access)
- Nightshade/百花百狼 (Visual Novel / Otome)
- Trapper Knight, Sharpshooter Princess (SRPG | Sekai Project)
- Happy Campers (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (April 16th - April 22nd)

Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1, PC
- Genre: Action RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Kickstarted game. Seems kinda interesting. Could be worth checking out.

The Silver Case
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Previously released on PC.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
- Platform(s): PS4, Switch, XB1
- Genre: Platformer
- Comments: Remake of the old 1989 game. PC version coming in June.

Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition (GOTY Physical Release)
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Action RPG
- Online: Yes.
- Comments: Just the game of the year edition releasing with both DLC addons included.

红石遗迹 - Red Obsidian Remnant
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Roguelike / Action RPG
- Comments: Chinese dev. Early access.

</reality>
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Kimmy
- Comments: Definitely not Japanese. What a weird artstyle.

The Falconers: Moonlight
- Genre: Visual Novel / Supernatural Thriller
- Comments: Sekai Project published.

A Hand in the Darkness
- Genre: Visual Novel / Yaoi?
- Comments: Saw probable yaoi, did not dig deeper.

Past Releases
April 9th - April 15th
April 2nd - April 8th
March 26th - April 1st
March 19th - March 25th
March 12th - March 18th

I just came to a sudden realization: Kamoshida = Vincent from Catherine.

After his studious girlfriend left him for lusting over a young succubus and not growing up and maturing, Vincent started a vigorous weightlifting regiment. Vincent reinvents himself as Kamoshida and becomes a PE teacher at a local high school where he was able to continue leching over young women like the one he used to fantasize about. He takes out his anger on all the students due to his inner angst and anguish from his betrothed leaving him. He still has nightmares to this day.

maxresdefault.jpg
I think, if anything, those pictures suggest that Ann is actually "Catherine."

wouldn't ann be katherine not catherine? She looks more like the one with glasses to me

shiness looks interesting.
But both Ann and Catherine are blond with blue eyes, while Katherine has brown/hazel eyes. Hell the persona "Carmen" even has the spiral curls....

http://personacentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Anne-Takamaki-Flames.jpg

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/catherinethegame/images/3/3e/10_zps8d27efeb.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150721081227

The third boss in Persona 5 looked like a younger Louie Anderson.
Now that I've seen the final boss form
Big fat piggy bank robot, bug eyes, fly wings
I think there's a dig at Trump in there somewhere. Especially the hair. Although the shadow form makes him looks like Hitler too...

wouldn't ann be katherine not catherine? She looks more like the one with glasses to me

shiness looks interesting.
The female detective looks a lot like Katherine now that I think about it. And Lala reminds me of Madea from the Tyler Perry movies.

He reminds me more of a hamster than anything else. Particularly with how the battle is.

Also beat Persona 5 yesterday. Somehow managed to max everybody before I completely ran out of usable days. The last day I was literally able to max the last one I needed. So I used a guide to max out Strength since I don't think I would've been able to max that easily without one. At the very least it would've taken a long time with trial and error along with reloading, so I cheated on that one. May not go through the game again anytime remotely soon since I managed to do that in my first playthrough.

He reminds me more of a hamster than anything else. Particularly with how the battle is.

Also beat Persona 5 yesterday. Somehow managed to max everybody before I completely ran out of usable days. The last day I was literally able to max the last one I needed. So I used a guide to max out Strength since I don't think I would've been able to max that easily without one. At the very least it would've taken a long time with trial and error along with reloading, so I cheated on that one. May not go through the game again anytime remotely soon since I managed to do that in my first playthrough.
Strength confidante is pretty manageable if you do them as your level allows. Since you know someone amongst your personas has to know the skill that is needed and there's less to browse through early on. I'm up to rank 8, maybe they'll throw something crazy at me for the next two.

Do you feel like you wasted a good number days in your complete playthrough? I have wasted more than I would like since I just found out you can make infiltration tools on the night you send out calling cards, which surprised me because you can't do anything else other than sleep. That's 5 nights wasted on a making lockpicks.
And ofc relationship failures. Time spent with invites from friends when you're not sure if you need it or not.

Strength confidante is pretty manageable if you do them as your level allows. Since you know someone amongst your personas has to know the skill that is needed and there's less to browse through early on. I'm up to rank 8, maybe they'll throw something crazy at me for the next two.
I think I was at maybe 5 or 6 at the end on Strength. I would've needed to figure out what made the older Personas that I had missed to get the appropriate skill. It was too much of a pain to try. Though the last one I just said screw it and used a card. Possibly could've used a card on the other ones too.

I think I was at maybe 5 or 6 at the end on Strength. I would've needed to figure out what made the older Personas that I had missed to get the appropriate skill. It was too much of a pain to try. Though the last one I just said screw it and used a card. Possibly could've used a card on the other ones too.
I think the making of the persona is actually the easy part since summoning costs are affordable. Cards are definitely a good alternative as well.

Also you quoted my post before I could edit in the question so I'll reiterate it.

Do you feel like you wasted a good number days in your complete playthrough? I have wasted more than I would like since I just found out you can make infiltration tools on the night you send out calling cards, which surprised me because you can't do anything else other than sleep. That's 5 nights wasted on a making lockpicks.
And ofc relationship failures. Time spent with invites from friends when you're not sure if you need it or not.

bread's done
Back