Killzone 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

Game footage looks pretty nice so far, I got high hopes.

Where's the melee's at? The dude got pretty close to some of those guys but didn't melee :/

I got mine last night, and played for a little while. It's looking VERY good so far. :)

Killzone 2 was my 5th beta this year. And I just got an email this morning with beta #6: Home!

[quote name='liquidcross']I got mine last night, and played for a little while. It's looking VERY good so far. :)

Killzone 2 was my 5th beta this year. And I just got an email this morning with beta #6: Home![/QUOTE]

fuck man.

I've been a GAP member for eight years and this is my second or third demo.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']fuck man.

I've been a GAP member for eight years and this is my second or third demo.[/quote]

Well funny thing is, I wasn't accepted under my registered PSU email. I registered by other means

Did you guys sign up for these or what?

God, how much I would love to play this beta.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='help1']Did you guys sign up for these or what?

God, how much I would love to play this demo.[/QUOTE]

you have to by 3 issues of Qore... lol j/k

[quote name='help1']Did you guys sign up for these or what?

God, how much I would love to play this beta.[/QUOTE]

I didn't sign up for anything, so I was pretty shocked to get the e-mail.

Animations in a shooter really make the game.

Melee attacks are in Killzone 2, they have an interesting system where you can combo up to 3 hits (if I remember correctly). A single hit usually isn't enough to down an enemy, but comboing those extra hits in will do it. Unlike Killzone 1, it's not a scripted mini-cutscene when you melee.

It's nothing detailed, but nice to know it's there.

However, there's one thing I really, really dislike about the game I've seen so far: Rico's voice. It's hideous and corny. It's like some idiot director told the voice actor to try to gruff up the voice but it just ended up sounding hammy.

I really hope they change it, and I definitely hope someone at that company has the balls to call out that piss poor voice acting.

I got a code for the beta today and it's strange that the email says the beta didn't start until today, though I know some people on my friends list have been playing it, but maybe that's just for the particular codes that were sent out today.

Edit: While redeeming the code, it mentioned that it was Phase 2 of the beta.

Edit 2: I guess this is a press beta that's embargoed until Thursday.

hey guys, I am having a tough time using my bluetooth headset to communicate...anyone knows which button to push ? thanks
Btw, One of the best games i have ever played !!

Alright guys, the embargo's up and the impressions from the beta are here.

My impressions can be found here, though I'll be posting a blog post in a bit with some quotes for the lazy.

Edit: You can find the blog post here.

I think it's still invite-only at the moment. I hope they open it up to the public like the R2 beta, but I would imagine that that won't happen until closer to the game's release.

Some gifs.

I can't believe beta MP graphics look this good:

Killzone2Pillar.gif

i35l5x.gif

Yeah my jaw dropped when I loaded it up.

Only problem is that because the graphics are so hot, it feels a bit sluggish compared to COD4.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah my jaw dropped when I loaded it up.

Only problem is that because the graphics are so hot, it feels a bit sluggish compared to COD4.[/quote]

Agreed 100% They need to speed it up just a tad.

No, we don't need another game where people run around at Mach 1.

The pace, from what I've seen, is just fine and helps further the game's tactical nature.

You can also run at a good clip by sprinting, so it's a trade off if you want to go really fast.

Also remember that you take a bit more hits to die from the standard assault rifle to counteract that you move at a normal pace.

I'm not talking about moving around, I don't have any problem with the movement speed. I'm talking about the game as a whole.

But again, that is to be expected because of how gorgeous the graphics are. The Killzone developers decided to go for beautiful graphics over performance, which is fine, it just takes a little getting used to is all I'm saying.

Graphics and technical performance (frames per second) are completely different from movement speed.

The framerate of Killzone 2 is locked at 30 FPS, solid. The human eye and brain's image processing only notices inconsistency of framerate above 24fps, not any particular difference between higher or lower framerates. This is why 2d animation, which is usually made at 12 frames per second depending on how fast the action is moving, still looks fluid despite its very low framerate and lock of motion blur.

Meanwhile, the player movement is an element of game design, not the game's technical specs. They've chosen that movement speed and movement effects like inertia to better convey the player's weight as he moves about. That's actually one of the key aspects of Killzone that made people notice the first game despite its problems.

Absolutely the players feel like they have weight to them, and the animations help with that. But I think it could benefit from minor tweaks. Still great. Not convinced there is a large tactical aspect though, I got more of a lone soldier vibe from the beta.

I know this game is going to be good, I just don't want it to turn out to be like EA's Black. It was a beautiful game, but a lot of people didn't like it. Killzone needs to be good all the way through.

Well, the thing is, because the movement is a bit slower and you take a few more hits to kill than in CoD (and can be revived), there's a lot of room for squad tactics.

The slower movement means that and a firefight is started, position changes are done in a more careful pace. Running headlong into enemy lines in hopes of disrupting their formation isn't as strong of a tactic since you don't move at mach 1 and don't have gobs of health. But, it's also still possible with sprinting, albeit you lower your weapon. Moves and counter moves can be made as squad mates now have time to see and react to enemy movement with tactics, instead of just a fast and accurate aim. Of course, the game is still pretty deadly overall.

The class badges then add more tactics. Medics can revive fallen teammates, preserving squad coherency in protracted fights. Engineers can setup turrets to help funnel enemy troops, warn or prevent flanking moves, etc... Scouts/Snipers can scan for enemy troops in the area giving your team some intel to plan an assault. That's not even looking at the secondary badges you can take.

Yeah the classes definetely give it that but in the beta not that many people are ranked up high enough to unlock them. Certainly more in the full game. Dont get me wrong, it is off the hook sweet, just for some tactical action I will probably boot up Socom.

[quote name='Vanigan']Graphics and technical performance (frames per second) are completely different from movement speed.

The framerate of Killzone 2 is locked at 30 FPS, solid. The human eye and brain's image processing only notices inconsistency of framerate above 24fps, not any particular difference between higher or lower framerates. This is why 2d animation, which is usually made at 12 frames per second depending on how fast the action is moving, still looks fluid despite its very low framerate and lock of motion blur.

Meanwhile, the player movement is an element of game design, not the game's technical specs. They've chosen that movement speed and movement effects like inertia to better convey the player's weight as he moves about. That's actually one of the key aspects of Killzone that made people notice the first game despite its problems.[/quote]

I'm aware of that, hence why I corrected you in saying I'm not referring to movement speed.

Read what I said again, I think you misunderstood me.

bread's done
Back