Killzone 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

I think that is when the embargo ends on the Single Player portion people have been playing.

Someone should make a CAG clan! I think I am like 130 points away from being able to and I cant play it for a few days...

Yep, in the PS3fanboy (Joystiq) WRUP post, one guy mentioned that he was playing Killzone 2, and not the beta. I assume these are the preview builds, not review builds.

[quote name='smiggity']I think that is when the embargo ends on the Single Player portion people have been playing.
[/quote]

that's my guess as well... I do believe there is a 3rd faction in this game that nobody other than press has seen. an enemy to both the helgahst and isa.

Actually, there's no word about the other faction(s) in the game. The only one we know of is there was a colony many years on Helghan before the Helghan exodus arrived. They were remnants of a giant space station that was destroyed during the first extra solar war, they escaped via pods and landed on the surface. Unlike the Helghans, they didn't have all the extra equipment to help them live on the surface.

The Killzone universe is pretty big, however. There are many other colonies besides Vekta and Helghan. The Vekta/Helghan war is actually pretty limited as Vekta and Helghan are in the same solar system close to earth.

Don't take this the wrong way either, but I think it'd be cool to see aliens with the same tech level show up in the Killzone universe. Yeah, I know it's a human centric setting and doesn't need aliens. But, it'd be a nice to see their take on aliens with the same technology and industrial level as the two Killzone faction. They'd have mainly ballistic firearms as well, augmented by rare higher tech stuff. None of this religious aliens with high tech or ultra primitives.

[quote name='Vanigan']Actually, there's no word about the other faction(s) in the game. The only one we know of is there was a colony many years on Helghan before the Helghan exodus arrived. They were remnants of a giant space station that was destroyed during the first extra solar war, they escaped via pods and landed on the surface. Unlike the Helghans, they didn't have all the extra equipment to help them live on the surface.

The Killzone universe is pretty big, however. There are many other colonies besides Vekta and Helghan. The Vekta/Helghan war is actually pretty limited as Vekta and Helghan are in the same solar system close to earth.

Don't take this the wrong way either, but I think it'd be cool to see aliens with the same tech level show up in the Killzone universe. Yeah, I know it's a human centric setting and doesn't need aliens. But, it'd be a nice to see their take on aliens with the same technology and industrial level as the two Killzone faction. They'd have mainly ballistic firearms as well, augmented by rare higher tech stuff. None of this religious aliens with high tech or ultra primitives.[/quote]

Damn son Killzone the novel? :lol: I agree no aliens, Killzone is as far into the sci-fi shooters as I can get and any aliens would probably put it over the edge for me.

It's all on the Killzone site, they've been revealing parts of the Killzone universe history over time. After the Helghans lost a civil war on Vekta a long time ago and were then the brunt of a lot of ISA war reparations (WW1 allegory) they started getting some signals from the surface of Helghan from a settlement of survivors from the war. This gave them a reason to pack up everyone who supported the cause and head to Helghan, but it was also during these hard times for the Helghans that the Helghast regime was formed and eventually took power (WW2 allegory).

There's no further mention of those survivors, but in an interview, as above, it was mentioned that Helghan was settled long before the current crop of Helghans arrived. If the planet was enough to change Helghans so much in the few generations they've been on planet, the survivors of the first war would be changed quite a bit more.

And yeah, even I have to agree aliens would ruin the experience. But you know you'd like to see how Guerrilla Games would handle aliens with realistic tech and combat tactics.

I just want to know what happened to the guys from Killzone.
I hope to god they don't pull an alien 3 and say they all died between the games and Rico is the only one left. I always thought he was the weakest developed character in the first one. Just a standard antagonistic stupid tough guy.
I'm still mad they couldn't find a way to fit Hakha in there. He was the most dynamic of the group.

I don't remember if this was official, but I think Hahka is on planet, having been inserted before the main invasion to make contact with the Helghan resistance.

Yahn Templar is currently the commander of all ground forces in the invasion, so he got promoted.

Rico also got promoted and is leading your squad. I have concerns about the voice actor they're using for him, and the way they're writing for him in the demos so far. Hopefully that was just placeholders.

Luger is doing whatever a black ops soldier does.

Expect these guys to make cameos in the game. Templar you could meet with in passing as you go to get new orders from command. Hahka will probably be a resistance liaison that you meet up with, same for Luger who you'll probably run into.

The 1up Yours guys were saying they gave out 1000 free experience points to beta testers to help them check out the upgrades more easily, which I need to check out and see if it's true since I haven't been on for a week or two.

[quote name='smiggity']No install on this bad ass game. The way things should be done[/QUOTE]
I didn't realize improving load times was so repulsive.

[quote name='pete5883']I didn't realize improving load times was so repulsive.[/quote]

There are plenty of other ways to reduce/eliminate load times. Uncharted had no install and had seamless loading, and GG has said they are aiming for the same thing with KZ2. Read the Dev Q&As on the PS forums. Over 100 pages of GG answering questions. They are going to show people how to work with the PS3 with this game

the game uses procedural rendering for some textures...and while all others are confirmed to be completely uncompressed...

because of hat, an HDD install seemed unlikely...as procedural textures take up next to zero space, as the rendering process for them is math heavy, as apposed to the normal just streaming and uncompressing...

also...the uncompressed textures will take up TONS of space...which would make them very unlikely to be installed to the HDD...

HDD installs aren't a bad thing...but the use of BD as a major asset (as it never is for a multiplat game, as the 360 doesn't have it), allows some other options that simply weren't there before...streaming in high res textures in uncompressed form is actually easier than utilizing precious ram and processing power needed to uncompress them in real time...which iD confirmed is the major advantage of blu ray right now...so just because there is no HDD install, allowing the streaming to be faster, more power will be focused directly on loading/running the level, rather than unpacking all the textures...this uncompressed data streaming is probably a MAJOR reason that killzone 2 has some things, like lighting and physics, that are significantly ahead of other console games...as they have used BD in a way that frees up processing and memory that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to use on visual effects...

Very excited for this. Im a huge fan of team fortress 2 and I know in Killzone 2 they are using some of the same classes (medic, engineer, scout). I know classes will play differently, but the thought is pretty cool.

Just logged on and no free 1000 XP for me. Oh well. Frisky we should try to get a couple rounds in before it ends this weekend.

[quote name='smiggity']There are plenty of other ways to reduce/eliminate load times. Uncharted had no install and had seamless loading, and GG has said they are aiming for the same thing with KZ2. Read the Dev Q&As on the PS forums. Over 100 pages of GG answering questions. They are going to show people how to work with the PS3 with this game

the game uses procedural rendering for some textures...and while all others are confirmed to be completely uncompressed...

because of hat, an HDD install seemed unlikely...as procedural textures take up next to zero space, as the rendering process for them is math heavy, as apposed to the normal just streaming and uncompressing...

also...the uncompressed textures will take up TONS of space...which would make them very unlikely to be installed to the HDD...

HDD installs aren't a bad thing...but the use of BD as a major asset (as it never is for a multiplat game, as the 360 doesn't have it), allows some other options that simply weren't there before...streaming in high res textures in uncompressed form is actually easier than utilizing precious ram and processing power needed to uncompress them in real time...which iD confirmed is the major advantage of blu ray right now...so just because there is no HDD install, allowing the streaming to be faster, more power will be focused directly on loading/running the level, rather than unpacking all the textures...this uncompressed data streaming is probably a MAJOR reason that killzone 2 has some things, like lighting and physics, that are significantly ahead of other console games...as they have used BD in a way that frees up processing and memory that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to use on visual effects...[/quote]

Thanks for the insight. I had to read that a few times to make sense of it, but that sounds really cool. It makes me really excited for future PS3 titles.

[quote name='smiggity']"No install. Optional or otherwise".

Seb Downie - QA Manager - Guerrilla Games[/quote]

I'm all in favor of install times if it improves loading times. I wish Dead Space had them.

it's also worth noting that the throughput on the Blu Ray Drive is significantly slower than the HD, which is why they do the install in the first place. that's an interesting quote, b/c procedural textures seem cpu intensive. They also give a more cg vs. realistic look.

They also said the BD drive have better consistent read speends than a DVD if that counts for anything.

Again, I wouldnt really compare many 3rd party game load times since they are not optimized for the PS3, unlike KZ2 and Uncharted (Both should have no load times). \

well, here we're comparing hdd to bd. Also, uncharted had really heinous pop in effects which cut down on load times because it would just load while you were playing, so that's not a great example imho.

Actually, that's more of a streaming issue. They did the main loads during cutscenes in Uncharted, but there's still only so much you can have in memory with only 512mb of memory in this console generation.

This is one area that both consoles have issues with, the assets these HD games use take up a larger degree of memory and disk space a than how much they increased. You see this in issues with disc reading loading, and installs. You also see this in how a lot of 360 games like Halo 3 or Mass Effect reusing damn near everything (because they don't want to split it off into a separate disc).

Embargo is over.

Feast on these pics:

The new Killzone 2 single player footage is jaw dropping.
What an upgrade from the E3 07 trailer....

lots of compressed pics from compressed videos of a 5 months old, unfinished builld
snapshot20081204035140uo6.jpg

snapshot200812040350412lu9.jpg

0342.jpg

0337.jpg

0330.jpg

0336.jpg

0323.jpg

0322.jpg

0317.jpg

0331.jpg

iolqa9.jpg

2hobm90.jpg

x3ekp0.jpg

33eou8y.jpg

There's tons of videos popping up everywhere of the singleplayer.
Damn.

I was looking forward to this until I saw the latest trailer. Another gray-ish brown, post-apocalyptic FPS. Multiplayer is of no interest to me. Yawn.

[quote name='saturnotaku']I was looking forward to this until I saw the latest trailer. Another gray-ish brown, post-apocalyptic FPS. Multiplayer is of no interest to me. Yawn.[/QUOTE]

What games are you comparing this to?

You're basing this off the knowledge of how Killzone 1 and/or the PSP game is and you're shocked Killzone 2 is a gray-ish brown, post-apocalyptic FPS? :dunce:

I really haven't been keeping up, but this game looks amazing. What is the MP like? More akin to CoD4 or more like Resistance 2?

I hope that this game will get credit for being the best looking (and playing) console FPS ever. I see that the graphics are top notch, now I'm hoping that they've got a main character and a story that's good. Also, a great soundtrack... that's important.

Well, Killzone 1 actually had a very good story with memorable characters. And that's characters with more personality in their pinky than Master Chief and Marcus Pheonix combined.

Just go to youtube and you can probably find a whole run down of all the cutscenes from Killzone 1, that should get you caught up with the story.

My main concern right now with Killzone 2 is the writing and acting quality. There's some parts that are just horrid compared to the mature writing and voice acting of the first game, or even the early trailers.

But then again, there's things like Garza's dialog, which is actually pretty convincing.

The basic gameplay mechanics have been aptly described as a bit of CoD, but closer to CoD2 with more weight to the animation and movement. You aren't moving as fast, you have some inertia, but it works. You take more hits before dying than in CoD games, but not that much more.

[quote name='Vanigan']Well, Killzone 1 actually had a very good story with memorable characters. And that's characters with more personality in their pinky than Master Chief and Marcus Pheonix combined.

Just go to youtube and you can probably find a whole run down of all the cutscenes from Killzone 1, that should get you caught up with the story.

My main concern right now with Killzone 2 is the writing and acting quality. There's some parts that are just horrid compared to the mature writing and voice acting of the first game, or even the early trailers.

But then again, there's things like Garza's dialog, which is actually pretty convincing.

The basic gameplay mechanics have been aptly described as a bit of CoD, but closer to CoD2 with more weight to the animation and movement. You aren't moving as fast, you have some inertia, but it works. You take more hits before dying than in CoD games, but not that much more.[/quote]

I dont know man. It seems like a mindless shooting fest to me. Not as bad as R2 but up there. Then again, I remember nothing from KZ1 story. Maybe I will go over to the website and read up

It was a mindless shooting fest, no more than any other FPS game out there was in terms of gameplay. But the story was definitely one of the better stories out there for an FPS game.

bread's done
Back