Mass Effect 2 Discussion - Fight for the Lost

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']...Seriously?

I'm sort of convinced now Zaeed and Kasumi weren't originally planned but created on a spur of the moment whim or to appease EA. I can't imagine Bioware willingly nerfing conversation branches even if it is for DLC characters especially when they are connected to the main storyline unless they had a good reason. A reason I'd love for them to make public though I won't hold my breath. ...Meh. If Hammerhead proves itself to be another underwhelming addition to the game then I'll do myself a favor and continue lowering my expectations of what's to come until its scheduled release. Same for ME3.[/QUOTE]

Well, we knew EA would bend us all over eventually. Let's hope they just don't go for the full penetration. The content to price ratio needs to be better than the majority of the crap they call DLC nowadays. More like wallet-rape. (looking at you Capcom)

Reason I quoted is I'm trying to remember how far back it was that the first character list news broke. I recall it being some months before release and some site had managed to access the debug menu from a floor display of the game at a show. They took a picture of the roster and it included Zaaed and Kasumi if I remember correctly. So I'm guessing this was in the cards the entire time. I just hate that they hold out a character for paid DLC. Poor form. :(

im gonna stop playing mass effect 2 untill kasumi comes out. i just started my second playthough and i'd like the character to at least have some use in the game :)
but insanity is proving that it may be a bit over my head :p

If they were initially a part of the completed roster why cut lines when everyone else is fully fleshed out? Just because they planned to release them as DLC instead? Ugh. Ah well... there's no point in dwelling on what you can't change. Obviously the loyalty mission and new weapon are the main selling points here so I'm hoping to muster up a decent amount of replay value from them both.

The only thing that irks me more than watered down character depth is the fact we'll have to pay for a weapon that should have been available on release. The Tempest is the only actual available SMG in the game. ;\

I was really holding back on another playthrough until Kasumi came out too.... It's less than a month away, but I'm tempted and turned off by the thought of what they might charge.

Looks like I'm diving into Final Fantasy XIII for now. Having this release at a low price point *cough$5cough* is the only way I come back early. Unless I caught some really cheap points....

It does seem weird that a 5-mission pack with a whole new gameplay element is free, while a single new loyalty mission isn't. You'd think they'd want to avoid the kind of criticism they got over Bring Down the Sky by making the paid DLC as substantial as possible.

Since it's specifically noted that the Kasumi DLC contains a new achievement, I wonder if that means that Firewalker doesn't have any.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I was really holding back on another playthrough until Kasumi came out too.... It's less than a month away, but I'm tempted and turned off by the thought of what they might charge.

Looks like I'm diving into Final Fantasy XIII for now.[/QUOTE]

Ditto though due to mixed reviews I'm walking into it expecting to play an action game drenched in melodrama rather than anything else so I doubt I'll end up terribly disappointed. With that said I still don't know how I convinced myself to buy it on release but if it isn't up to par with my preferences I'll trade it asap which is something I've never done before. I'm one of those types who would rather keep a bad game in his library for fear of missing out on something than ditching it for a meager reup.

The reason Kasumi and Zaeed don't have full conversation trees appears to be because that way the Shepard voice actor didn't have to be called in for added characters. That is of course, only if these were added late in development.

oh i ment to ask, if i like how me2 feels as a shooter should i pick up gears of war 1 and 2. they are finaly looking good to me and are pretty cheap now.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Well, we knew EA would bend us all over eventually. Let's hope they just don't go for the full penetration. The content to price ratio needs to be better than the majority of the crap they call DLC nowadays. More like wallet-rape. (looking at you Capcom)

Reason I quoted is I'm trying to remember how far back it was that the first character list news broke. I recall it being some months before release and some site had managed to access the debug menu from a floor display of the game at a show. They took a picture of the roster and it included Zaaed and Kasumi if I remember correctly. So I'm guessing this was in the cards the entire time. I just hate that they hold out a character for paid DLC. Poor form. :([/QUOTE]

Also didn't someone hack one of the files on the PC version to unlock the character? I remember seeing a video of it but can't find it now.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Ugh. Well, we knew the free DLC freight train had to end sometime or another. For only an extra hour and a half of gameplay, this DLC had better be no more than 400 MS points ($5), or at the very least lower than 800 MS points. Sure, it's an extra character as well, which "Bring Down the Sky" and "Pinnacle Station" did not offer, but the real draw is the bonus loyalty mission, in my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

If it's anything like Zaeed's it'll suck balls. They'll probably go for a $10 release too.

I've been pretty underwhelmed by all the Cerberus DLC so far.

[quote name='Filbert']The reason Kasumi and Zaeed don't have full conversation trees appears to be because that way the Shepard voice actor didn't have to be called in for added characters. That is of course, only if these were added late in development.[/QUOTE]
Uhh... what? Shepard does talk to Kasumi AND Zaeed though...

[quote name='dmaul1114']But hardly the amount of dialogue you get from Shepard with the other characters.[/QUOTE]
Yea, but his reasoning was that they did not want to call the voice actors for Male/Female shepard in. But they already had them in.

They probably just recorded some generic dialogue for Shepard to use with DLC characters.

If you notice, what Shephard says is pretty generic and not related to what Zaeed is talking about specifically etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They probably just recorded some generic dialogue for Shepard to use with DLC characters.

If you notice, what Shephard says is pretty generic and not related to what Zaeed is talking about specifically etc.[/QUOTE]
But he/she says Zaeeds name and Kasumi's.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']But he/she says Zaeeds name and Kasumi's.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot about all the dialog during Zaeed's recruitment and loyalty mission. I was just thinking about on the ship. Although that makes it seem even more odd.

For the most part it just lets you download the DLC. It is a way for them to make sure you bought the game new. If you didn't then it is 1200 points to get the card.

Also I found the Kasumi videos I was talking about in a past post. Some I think I have been posted in the past.

I was trying to get some of the videos from youtube to post but can not get them to link so that the video can be seen in the thread. I don't know why but all I did was search for mass effect 2 kasumi.

[quote name='jab1235']oh i ment to ask, if i like how me2 feels as a shooter should i pick up gears of war 1 and 2. they are finaly looking good to me and are pretty cheap now.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Mass Effect 2's shooter gameplay is mostly a copy of Gears of War, but Gears of War still does it better. Mass Effect 2 is the more complete game, with the great RPG elements, but for pure 3rd person shooting, the Gears of War games are unrivaled. They're two of my favorite games on the 360. An absolute buy, especially at the cheap prices you can get them for now. Do not walk, run to the store.

I'm sorry, I think this has been asked in the thread already, but I couldn't find it...

Will the code for the Collector Armor that comes with the PC edition of Mass Effect 2 CE work for the 360 game?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']But he/she says Zaeeds name and Kasumi's.[/QUOTE]

Still pretty generic. They probably just came up with the DLC characters late in development, and recorded some generic dialogue etc.

Though the point about the loyalty mission dialogue is fair, as there was a good bit of dialogue in that. So I guess they either just got lazy and/or ran out of time and didn't do the full dialogue tree for the on ship conversations.

Hopefully Kasumi's missions are decent and worth the money. I wouldn't pay for just the character as I'm not confident she'lll be any less useless than Zaeed and if ME3 continues the trend most of these characters won't be squad mates in the next game anyway.

First screenshots of Kasumi:

Bigger shots and spoiler info about her mission here: http://kotaku.com/5492103/mass-effect-2-dlc-adds-90-minutes-more-earth-teases

500x_kasumi1.jpg

500x_kasumi3.jpg

500x_kasumi2.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm sorry, I think this has been asked in the thread already, but I couldn't find it...

Will the code for the Collector Armor that comes with the PC edition of Mass Effect 2 CE work for the 360 game?[/QUOTE]

It should. I bought the PC's ME2 CE, and the code for Collector's Armor unlocked it for both PC and 360. Well, that is once I got it working. Seems the PC CE had a few batches that went out with invalid codes, but was resolved by EA's online help chat thing.

[quote name='Salamando3000']It should. I bought the PC's ME2 CE, and the code for Collector's Armor unlocked it for both PC and 360. Well, that is once I got it working. Seems the PC CE had a few batches that went out with invalid codes, but was resolved by EA's online help chat thing.[/QUOTE]
Cool. I was fretting about the unavailability of the 360 CE, then I realized that the PC CE contains the exact same artbook and comic, and I already own the game disc anyway, so problem solved. If the download code works on 360 too that's gravy.

Kasumi looks badass. But I really hope that this costs around $3.50 or less if it really is just one 1.5-hour mission.

Just a side note: remember that video I posted here ages ago of the rumored sound clips of Kasumi's VO? Turns out that it seems pretty legit now. There's videos up on YouTube showcasing "hidden" dialog throughout the game (Tali on Horizon, Legion and Thane on Purgatory, etc.) that have Kasumi speaking in various parts of the game. The voices seem to match up quite well.

Here's a reminder of the video I posted.

Well I know Zaeed did comment on story line situations when I brought him around, so I'd assume Kasumi would do the same. That's enough for me to D/L her. I haven't beat this game yet on insanity so I'll gladly add her to my crew for it.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well I know Zaeed did comment on story line situations when I brought him around, so I'd assume Kasumi would do the same. That's enough for me to D/L her. I haven't beat this game yet on insanity so I'll gladly add her to my crew for it.[/QUOTE]

Very true. I like Zaeed personally, he commented in some appropriate places in later side-missions and loyalty missions. Of course, sometimes he (or anyone) wouldn't fit the mission and have anything to say. Plus I liked his loyalty mission. I really wanted his loyalty, but also for him to get his revenge. I put the controller down for 5 minutes to consider it.

I hope Kasumi fits in just as well and has some decent interaction with all the other shipmates.

so I finally got around to this game... my bro lent me his copy since he finished it, and I had downloaded all the DLC when it was free, but now I'm realizing I don't have Cerberus Network so I can't use it all? anyway around this or am I gonna have to drop 15 bucks to use the DLC?

I hope theres no way around it cause my wife had to burn $15 just to use Cerbus network under her profile, but It's worth it lol. We are both pissed at the Kasumi content only because we know it will cost us more money.

Which I guess is fine in a way to because this is my favorite "RPG" since Suikoden 2, and I prefer it over KOTOR. That's saying alot :p

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Early rumors are that the Kasumi DLC will be 560 MS points.[/QUOTE]
Yikes. Guess I'll wait to continue my second playthrough until it comes out, so I can use Kasumi for the entire game and feel like I'm getting my money's worth. ;)

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Early rumors are that the Kasumi DLC will be 560 MS points.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? You found a Polish website to give you rumors about the Kasumi DLC pricing? No one can ever question your love for Mass Effect. :lol:

Ideally, I would've liked a 400 pts ($5) price, but 560 pts ($7) isn't too terrible. At least we're getting a mission, character, bonus power, and new submachine gun out of it. If it were any other game, I probably wouldn't rush to get it, but I love me some Mass Effect, so it'll be a Day 1 purchase.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Wait a sec. The Cerebrus network code only works on one profile?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Though from another thread here around the launch of the game the DLC should should up on all profiles on the machine once downloaded on the registered profile, even though the other profiles can't log into the Cerberus Network

[quote name='BingoBrown']Seriously? You found a Polish website to give you rumors about the Kasumi DLC pricing? No one can ever question your love for Mass Effect. :lol:

Ideally, I would've liked a 400 pts ($5) price, but 560 pts ($7) isn't too terrible. At least we're getting a mission, character, bonus power, and new submachine gun out of it. If it were any other game, I probably wouldn't rush to get it, but I love me some Mass Effect, so it'll be a Day 1 purchase.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

800 MS points was the point where I would've had some issues with the pricing of the DLC (although I would undoubtedly still buy it at that price), so 560 is fine with me if it turns out to be true. I imagine that if it is 560 MS points, that BioWare will catch a lot of backlash from a portion of the ME community.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ew... I was hoping for under 5 bucks. I mean the AC2 dlc was pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]

According to most reviews, the AC2 DLC wasn't all that great. So you probably got what you paid for with that one (don't know personally, AC2 is still sitting sealed in my game cabinet).

Assuming that Kasumi's loyalty mission is more in line with the better loyalty missions of ME2 (i.e. Garrus, Mordin, Miranda) then I think it'll be worth the 560 pts.

However, one thing that sort of bugs me with Zaeed and Kasumi is the fact that you just add them to the squad. Why no dossier mission like most of the other squadmates? I realize that would add a significant amount of work from Bioware, but I found some of the dossier missions to be among the best in the game (i.e. recruiting Jack, Tali, Thane). Seems like a glaring omission to just add Zaeed and Kasumi without that additional mission.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Well, Zaeed is a mercenary purchased by TIM. Recruiting him shouldn't be much of an event.[/QUOTE]
And Jack was a prisoner purchased by TIM, yet they still got a mission out of that, no?

I finished my 1st playthough(imported Paragon ME1 character). I really enjoyed the game and got just about all of the achievements(except 2). Looking forward to finishing up my renegade character in ME1 and playing them in ME 2!

I must say that I love this series overall, maybe my favorite of all-time?

[quote name='The Crotch']And Jack was a prisoner purchased by TIM, yet they still got a mission out of that, no?[/QUOTE]

Jack has an option once she's free; TIM can purchase the prisoner but he cannot convince her to work with Shepard. You still have to recruit her.

Zaeed is a free merc and happy he's getting paid. He should have showed up on the Normandy :bomb: Lazy bum.

The more missions the better though, I really am on your side!

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Jack has an option once she's free; TIM can purchase the prisoner but he cannot convince her to work with Shepard. You still have to recruit her.

Zaeed is a free merc and happy he's getting paid. He should have showed up on the Normandy :bomb: Lazy bum.[/QUOTE]
Aye, but that ain't the point. Actually convincing Jack takes, like, 30 seconds. Same with Garrus. And Tali. They built situations around them, is all.

So yes, TIM paid Zaeed's way, which explains why he was so easy to recruit. But had they wanted to give him a recruitment mission, they could very easily have had you try to reach him during a mission (see: Thane) or interrupt a Blue Suns' assassination attempt or... something, y'know?

Point is, the fact that he's paid for ain't an excuse for his recruitment not being a mission. Bioware just couldn't/didn't want to invest time and money into making it, is all.

bread's done
Back