MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and Roop is probably gonna be done with the WEC next week when he loses to the Korean Zombie.

Speaking of Ultimate Fighers, I'm going through all the old seasons. I'm on season 3 right now and it's kind of weird knowing that Hamill is gonna fight Tito and kick his ass in the upcoming UFC. Tito seems to be in love with him. Also, it's gonna be weird seeing Bader kick Little Nogs ass. Since the older Nogeira seemed to be just as dreamy about Bader as Tito was about Hamill.

yeah funny how things worked out with TUF.

escudero got cut because of the new zero-tolerance for missing weight. i guess he was 4 pounds over and dana had just gotten done ranting about alves.

i'm glad sonnen got exposed and i have no interest in seeing him fight ever again unless he's going to learn how to finish.

Everyone assumes Bader is going to destroy Diet Nog....why? What has Bader done that's so great? I guess its true that people only have a memory extending to a fighter's last fight.

Styles make fights but yeah its mostly coming from Nog's last fight where he seemed to be getting controlled for the most part on the ground and with Bader being a better wrestler one would think it'd work out even better for him.I wouldn't quite go with destroy though but I think it'll be similar to Little Nog's last fight except Bader doing slightly even more better then Brilz grinding out a unanimous decision.

I feel sad for the winner of this fight,likely having to face Jon Jones next.I'd rather see Bader if he wins to end up fighting someone else but with Forrest Griffin not liking the idea of fighting Jones I suppose its really the only suitable match for Jones for anytime in the near future.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Everyone assumes Bader is going to destroy Diet Nog....why? What has Bader done that's so great?[/QUOTE]

Other than have a professional record of 11-0, dominant in every fight, and being 7 years younger than Lil Nog? I guess its true that people only stick with the names they know.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Everyone assumes Bader is going to destroy Diet Nog....why?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Bader will "destroy" Lil Nog but I think he'll win. He has a professional record of 11-0, he's dominant in every fight, and he's 7 years younger.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Styles make fights but yeah its mostly coming from Nog's last fight where he seemed to be getting controlled for the most part on the ground and with Bader being a better wrestler one would think it'd work out even better for him.I wouldn't quite go with destroy though but I think it'll be similar to Little Nog's last fight except Bader doing slightly even more better then Brilz grinding out a unanimous decision.

I feel sad for the winner of this fight,likely having to face Jon Jones next.I'd rather see Bader if he wins to end up fighting someone else but with Forrest Griffin not liking the idea of fighting Jones I suppose its really the only suitable match for Jones for anytime in the near future.[/QUOTE]

Jon Jones is going to destroy either guy, no matter the winner. Bader is a better wrestler but much less well rounded.

[quote name='Maklershed']I don't think Bader will "destroy" Lil Nog but I think he'll win. He has a professional record of 11-0, he's dominant in every fight, and he's 7 years younger.[/QUOTE]

His record means nothing, his best win is over KEITH JARDINE. :rofl: I'm not saying Lil' Nog will win or that Bader will lose, I'm just saying people are making him out to be better then I've seen from him.

Anyone else thinking Sakuraba vs. Miller is a bit of a mismatch?I think Aoki vs. Aurelio will be a bit more competitive then most would think but going with Aoki by decision still.Minoawa Man vs. Ishii should be interesting with all of Minoawa's experience and Ishii being relatively new but with his judo background.Oddly enough this will be Minoawa's biggest win streak if he pulls it off.Going with Ishii by submission.

Ishii pretty much just kept advancing positions not really working to finish the fight.Was wrong on thinking Aoki vs. Aurelio was going to be a bit more competitive.It was however a little ironic considering how Aoki was just criticizing wrestlers.A little sad to see Saku like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Dream event was good. Anyone else catch it? Miller surprisingly crushed Sakuraba in no time.

Also, lollercoasters to the continued transparent attempts at punishing foreign fighters with the yellow card to Aurelio who was hopelessly pinned beneath Aoki in a full mount body triangle and was carded (I assume) due to stalling. :lol:

[quote name='Matt Young']Last minute UFC 119 picks: Guillard/Dunham/Serra/Bader/Mir.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Good first fight, Mitrione looked much improved.[/QUOTE]

Ditto and ditto

Well, I started typing this before Mir landed that knee...but meh...it mostly still applies.

Wow...I didn't figure this would be a great card, but that was terrible. Was there some kind of fucking mandate that fighters with great ground skills couldn't use them? This was like shitty "So You Wanna Pretend You're a Boxer" night. And the card for UFC 120 is probably even weaker. 121 can't get here soon enough.

Yeah, Sherk - Dunham was probably the best fight of the night, and even that wasn't spectacular. I don't get why nobody would throw leg kicks or go for takedowns though. It was really weird. Joe Rogan questioned if there was a "silent agreement" in 2 of the 5 fights...so that tells you what kind of night it was. I'd love to see Dana not give out any bonuses...or give them all to the undercard.

Apparently there were two FOTN's - Mitrione/Beltran and Sherk/Dunham.

The only thing good that comes from these shitty shows are angry Dana rants.

[quote name='SEH']The entire show was a snoozer. I'd be kind of pissed if I had actually purchased a ticket to see that live.[/QUOTE]

Same. I yelled at the tv at one point during the Mir/Cro Cop fight.

Mitrione/Beltran: Mitrione looked like trash as usual, and while I think Beltran lost (he threw the fight in the last round by not throwing anything), it was still close and Mitrione showed once again that he mostly sucks. He's kinda slow, weak wrestling defense, weak defense, ??? chin and cardio like Bader.

Sherk/Dunham: Can't believe people think Dunham won. Sherk won easily rounds 1/2 with his wrestling alone, not to mention hanging with Dunham in the stand up until the third round. Speaking of the third round, Sherk looked tired. Its weird seeing Sherk tire, I've never seen it happen before. Must be because of his 37 year old age, but its bad news for Sean Sherk because his chin is weak anyway.

Bader/Nogueira: Lil' Nog won easily, EASILY. Bader's weak 3 takedowns in 3 rounds (with Nog getting up quickly in rounds 2/3) mean little when he was gassed for the entire fight, hurt, got tooled in the stand up, and never hurt Diet Nog. Terrible...just terrible.

Serra/Lytle: Fight of the Night, with runner up to Mitrione/Beltran. Serra came with a great gameplay trying to outstrike and outpoint Lytle in INDY. /sarcasm I guess there's a reason Serra's 11-7 now...

Mir/Cro Cop: Obviously Cro Cop came for the paycheck and Mir didn't want to hurt his buddy. It was a gay fight for the most part, with nobody wanting to hurt each other and even at one point talking and Cro Cop laughing up against the cage. Come on...

Decent UFC main on paper turned absolutely shit-sour rancid in action (feel sorry for the folks that paid in any way to watch that). I haven't been pissed at watching a main event since Sylvia-Arlovski 3: "Nothing's Happening... Nothing's Happening... Nothing's Happening... It's Over. People Look Pissed."

To top it off, over in DREAM, an over-the-hill Sakuraba got subbed by friggin' Jason Miller. Not a very good weekend for the MMA fanboy in me.

[quote name='ced']To top it off, over in DREAM, an over-the-hill Sakuraba got subbed by friggin' Jason Miller. Not a very good weekend for the MMA fanboy in me.[/QUOTE]

mayhem is a good fighter, particularly his grappling. it was good to see how much that meant to him, even if i dont like the winning fighter (i like mayhem) its always nice to see that kind of respect.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
Bader/Nogueira: Lil' Nog won easily, EASILY. Bader's weak 3 takedowns in 3 rounds (with Nog getting up quickly in rounds 2/3) mean little when he was gassed for the entire fight, hurt, got tooled in the stand up, and never hurt Diet Nog. Terrible...just terrible.
[/QUOTE]

Youre definately in the minority with that opinion.

Well the event I've been waiting for all month is finally gonna happen this Thursday and is sure to wipe out the shittiness of UFC 119. I speak of WEC 51:

Featherweight Championship bout: Jose Aldo vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Lightweight bout: Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone
Bantamweight bout: Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia
Featherweight bout: Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop
Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

What a stacked card! I would've considered buying this one if it were a PPV event. I absolutely love Cerrone and Garcia and dig Torres, Jung, and Aldo.

[quote name='Maklershed']Well the event I've been waiting for all month is finally gonna happen this Thursday and is sure to wipe out the shittiness of UFC 119. I speak of WEC 51:

Featherweight Championship bout: Jose Aldo vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Lightweight bout: Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone
Bantamweight bout: Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia
Featherweight bout: Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop
Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

What a stacked card! I would've considered buying this one if it were a PPV event. I absolutely love Cerrone and Garcia and dig Torres, Jung, and Aldo.[/QUOTE]

Same here man this card is loaded and should run circles around UFC 119. The best part is I don't have to pay extra for it! :)

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I like Jason Miller...[/QUOTE]

Truthfully, I don't dislike Jason Miller. It's more of my urge not to see Sakuraba get whomped in the twilight of his career. As soon as I saw Sakuraba was matched up against Mayhem, all I could think was, "Yeah, Sakuraba's probably fucked".

[quote name='paz9x']Youre definately in the minority with that opinion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, somewhat. People who actually thought Bader was good (he isn't) usually tend to be the same people that think he won.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Yeah, somewhat. People who actually thought Bader was good (he isn't) usually tend to be the same people that think he won.[/QUOTE]

But what did Lil Nog do to actually win that fight? He didn't do much of anything...even AFTER showing himself that he didn't really need to worry about Bader's takedowns because he could get up anyway. Furthermore, why was he even worried about takedowns? Did he forget that he's a black belt in BJJ? At that point, he should have been throwing BOMBS. Personally, I thought they were both pretty underwhelming, and both came off overrated. Bader wasn't great, but show me what Nogueira did that was so much better.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Yeah, somewhat. People who actually thought Bader was good (he isn't) usually tend to be the same people that think he won.[/QUOTE]

I dont think so. I think the majority of fight fans are reasonable in their opinion of his skills. He is a wrestler who has good power, hes slow, and not very good technically.

Unfortunately for some of us, his style lends him well with the current ufc.

I think jon jones is going to decimate him.

So when you laughed at me because I said I thought Bader would win your response was "his record doesn't count". And now that he has won you're saying his win didn't count. And as n8rockerasu points out, while Bader's win wasn't flashy or great, Lil Nog did nothing to stop it. He didn't out punch him, he didn't do any submission, he didn't really threaten Bader in any way. Basically they did the exact same thing with the only difference being Bader got a few take downs. And keep in mind when I say this, I don't like Bader and I hate this new breed of wrestler in the UFC.

[quote name='Maklershed']So when you laughed at me because I said I thought Bader would win your response was "his record doesn't count". And now that he has won you're saying his win didn't count. And as n8rockerasu points out, while Bader's win wasn't flashy or great, Lil Nog did nothing to stop it. He didn't out punch him, he didn't do any submission, he didn't really threaten Bader in any way. Basically they did the exact same thing with the only difference being Bader got a few take downs. And keep in mind when I say this, I don't like Bader and I hate this new breed of wrestler in the UFC.[/QUOTE]

at least bader throws hard, having the potential for some damage.
its like a broken record but I wish theyd allow knees and kicks to downed opponents, thatd help balance the wrestling heavy style.

Dunham won his fight (it was very close though) but there is NO WAY IN HELL Nog beat Bader....saying that is just stupid. Sometimes I wonder what the hell people see when watching a fight.

kicks, kicks, kicks, kicks...

Sherk KICK
Serra KICK
Nog KICK
CroCop KIIIIIIIIICK

KICK YOU F*CKS!!!

So yeah it was frustrating...

[quote name='Maklershed']Ha I was literally yelling that at my TV at Cro Cop. What's his problem? He's terrified to kick. That used to be his bread and butter.[/QUOTE]

i think its the takedown, its a lot more difficult to stay upright in the cage with ufc rules.

i'd say it's far easier to stay upright in a cage vs. a ring. cage climbing makes it pretty easy stuff.

as a shorter fighter at 5'8" i always kick at max range because i know my arms are way too short. it was driving me nuts to see this bad strat expo.

if i'm crocop's corner here is my advice:

okay, we're gonna utilize the teap a lot in combos and keep varying the height of your kicks.

combos like:

jab, teap
teap, leg kick
teap, front leg head kick
teap, body kick
fake teap, head kick

etc...

crocop has some of the best sprawling in MMA...what the hell is he worried about?!?

Its more the rules of each than the physical cage or ring. i really think its the wrestling friendly scoring.
[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i'd say it's far easier to stay upright in a cage vs. a ring. cage climbing makes it pretty easy stuff.

as a shorter fighter at 5'8" i always kick at max range because i know my arms are way too short. it was driving me nuts to see this bad strat expo.

if i'm crocop's corner here is my advice:

okay, we're gonna utilize the teap a lot in combos and keep varying the height of your kicks.

combos like:

jab, teap
teap, leg kick
teap, front leg head kick
teap, body kick
fake teap, head kick

etc...

crocop has some of the best sprawling in MMA...what the hell is he worried about?!?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']kicks, kicks, kicks, kicks...

Sherk KICK
Serra KICK
Nog KICK
CroCop KIIIIIIIIICK

KICK YOU F*CKS!!!

So yeah it was frustrating...[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I didn't realize this was strictly a boxing PPV. This was probably the poorest sampling of actual MMA that I've ever seen. No kicks, no takedown attempts (sans the Bader fight...but with his shitty wrestling, I hardly consider those takedowns), not a thought of trying any jiu-jitsu. They might as well have had a gentleman's agreement that they couldn't hit faces too.

As far as Cro Cop being worried about Mir's takedowns...wait...what? MIR'S TAKEDOWNS? When has that ever been a strong suit for him?

Me thinks Cro Cop didn't have the confidence to defend himself if the fight hit the ground. I guess that's why he didn't fully commit to his combinations and strikes.

according to crocop his corner told him "only start kicking in the last 2 minutes".

this may be the WORST FIGHTING STRATEGY OF ALL TIME.

crocop has LONG needed to move camps and diversify his game. now i just want to see him fighting nobody, head kick, and walk into the sunset.

[quote name='Maklershed']So when you laughed at me because I said I thought Bader would win your response was "his record doesn't count". And now that he has won you're saying his win didn't count. And as n8rockerasu points out, while Bader's win wasn't flashy or great, Lil Nog did nothing to stop it. He didn't out punch him, he didn't do any submission, he didn't really threaten Bader in any way. Basically they did the exact same thing with the only difference being Bader got a few take downs. And keep in mind when I say this, I don't like Bader and I hate this new breed of wrestler in the UFC.[/QUOTE]

I never laughed at you, I just said Bader's resume sucked and it still does considering he did not beat Rogerio Nogueira. Lil' Nog did out strike him, hurt him, stuffed many takedowns (the vast majority), and rarely spent much time on his back except the first round, which Lil' Nog could have still possibly won.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']according to crocop his corner told him "only start kicking in the last 2 minutes".

this may be the WORST FIGHTING STRATEGY OF ALL TIME.

crocop has LONG needed to move camps and diversify his game. now i just want to see him fighting nobody, head kick, and walk into the sunset.[/QUOTE]

i actually laughed when i read that first sentence.

WEC 51 Tonight (almost forgot about it)

Preliminary Card

Main card

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back