MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kuroi Kaze'] His BJJ is a joke. I'm sick of hearing how it is so great when all he can ever do is take the back and try and RNC like EVERYONE ELSE. Same goes for Florian.
[/QUOTE]

There's a reason that it is worth 4 points in bjj competition (along with mount). You have almost complete control of your opponent and all he is focused on is pretty much defending and getting to hopefully a more neutral position.

If you have someone's back they have very limited options and no offensive moves (except if someone does something silly like cross their feet) and that is why many times it is a death sentence.

While Florian's BJJ is not near the level of world class guys he is a legit competitive black belt. I've seen him a few times in person and was able to roll with him before and he was very impressive.

Anyone watch that "Championship" Soto vs Warren match up from Thursday's Bellator? That was just weird. Warren kept slowly reaching for the back of Soto's head for some reason and every time he'd get lit up but it didn't stop him from trying over and over. And then at the start of the second round Warren threw that right straight that completely missed but Soto crumpled anyway for some reason. :whistle2:|

[quote name='Maklershed']Whooo! My hometown hero and one of my personal favorites in UFC has been added to UFC 123 (Phil Davis)

:boxing: :whee:[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it but Phil Davis is going to destroy Tim Boetsch. Boetsch barely beat Todd "Garage Training" Davis. :rofl:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I hate to say it but Phil Davis is going to destroy Tim Boetsch. Boetsch barely beat Todd "Garage Training" Davis. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

for those of you who bet, thatd be a great fight in a parlay. I see no way davis loses.

[quote name='paz9x']for those of you who bet, thatd be a great fight in a parlay. I see no way davis loses.[/QUOTE]

I don't either, unless he has some magical glass chin that somehow gets hit before he can get a takedown. In any case, I doubt he'll be higher then -300, considering he has only been around -500 to -600 (he was bet up though) against bummier opponents then Boetsch.

[quote name='Aussie News!']In a recent article published by the Australian Press (The Sydney Morning Herald) the topic of Australian born George "Sot's" next opponent and chances at the UFC lightweight title were discussed. The post read...

"George Sotiropoulos is one fight away from setting up a dream UFC world title fight in Sydney next February. Geelong-born Sotiropoulos will face either B.J. Penn or Kenny Florian in a lightweight title eliminator in November, and victory would likely earn him a bout for the championship belt when the UFC returns to Sydney next year."

"Frankie Edgar will take on Gray Maynard later this year. Sotiropoulos is confident of claiming the belt against whoever wins. '"I see [Edgar's] strengths and weaknesses, and I look at how my strengths and weaknesses match up against his and I've got a lot of confidence in myself." said Sotiropoulos."

The match up makes sense for all three fighters. George has been on a tear in the division and many have been calling for a title shot since his destruction of Joe Stevenson at UFC 110. George boasts a 13-2 record with only one loss in his last 11 bouts. However, if I was the Australian, I would be campaigning for the Florian match instead of a fight with Penn. I am sure the former lightweight champion, BJ Penn, will be hungrier than ever heading into his next fight and that is bad news for whoever stands in front of him on fight night. Is the chance at fighting a legend worth losing your prospective title shot?[/QUOTE]

Why, why, WHY, WHYWHYWHY would Penn or Florian be in title contention?!?!?? Again!?!??!?!? Kenflo just got shutout, Penn just got shutout twice in his last two fights, and G-Sot has been DESTROYING practically everyone he has been running into for a while and has shown massive improvement in his last two fights. I say G-Sot fights Florian for a title shot (Penn would be a good and competitive fight though), but if KenFlo wins he is not in title contention.

The beloved in the UFC are easily spotted. KenFlo/Penn/F. Griffin (back in the day) are all guys who Dana loves. Nonetheless, while unfair I would say G-Sot beats Florian FOR SURE, but a Penn fight...that's kinda close.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Why, why, WHY, WHYWHYWHY would Penn or Florian be in title contention?!?!?? Again!?!??!?!? Kenflo just got shutout, Penn just got shutout twice in his last two fights, and G-Sot has been DESTROYING practically everyone he has been running into for a while and has shown massive improvement in his last two fights. I say G-Sot fights Florian for a title shot (Penn would be a good and competitive fight though), but if KenFlo wins he is not in title contention.

The beloved in the UFC are easily spotted. KenFlo/Penn/F. Griffin (back in the day) are all guys who Dana loves. Nonetheless, while unfair I would say G-Sot beats Florian FOR SURE, but a Penn fight...that's kinda close.[/QUOTE]

i dont buy that information. penn would need outstanding performances in atleast 2 straight fights florian would need more. theres no way either guy beats soto and gets a title shot, no way.

I'm taking the info with a grain of salt since it's information from a source that got it from a source that got it from who knows where. However, if that is the case, I'd motion for KenFlo/Sot vs Edgar/Maynard. Penn getting a potential chance for a third straight shot at Edgar after two failures would be absolute BS.

[quote name='Maklershed']Todd Duffee cut from the UFC. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

Yep, I read about that. Weird that it happened months after his loss, and we haven't even heard much from him since getting put into a coma. :rofl: Some people are thinking that there is something weird going on here, and I have to agree. Guys don't get cut after their first loss usually, and months after said loss...in a fight he was dominating with a capital "D".

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Yep, I read about that. Weird that it happened months after his loss, and we haven't even heard much from him since getting put into a coma. :rofl: Some people are thinking that there is something weird going on here, and I have to agree. Guys don't get cut after their first loss usually, and months after said loss...in a fight he was dominating with a capital "D".[/QUOTE]

i agree, there are other issues.

Theres talks now that Todd Duffee faked an injury up against Jon Maden to do a most likely direct to dvd sequel of "Never Back Down".If true I wouldn't really be upset with the UFC so much and Dana has let it pretty known hes against fighters doing movies.It's really annoying when fighters try to be actors,and when they do they always seem to lose fights when returning back to the sport. AKA Cung Le,Rampage,Roger Huerta,Randy Couture.Although I wouldn't list that as a major reason for them losing.Heath Herring has even left for acting.Plus theres not a single good mma movie out there and it just holds up their fighting career.

Waiting for Rampage held up the fight with Rashad Evans for a little over a year from his last fight where Rampage briefly quit and Rashad got a fight inbetween with Rampage thinking his acting career was going to go places,sadly for him the A-team was a slight bomb.

Cung Le is probably the worst,although hes more of a "ducker".Won the Strikeforce title and took almost nearly 2 years just for his next fight.Even then he held up the title for that long, then vacated it, and ends up fighting a month later instead of just fighting a top guy for a title defense.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Theres talks now that Todd Duffee faked an injury up against Jon Maden to do a most likely direct to dvd sequel of "Never Back Down".If true I wouldn't really be upset with the UFC so much and Dana has let it pretty known hes against fighters doing movies.It's really annoying when fighters try to be actors,and when they do they always seem to lose fights when returning back to the sport. AKA Cung Le,Rampage,Roger Huerta,Randy Couture.Although I wouldn't list that as a major reason for them losing.Heath Herring has even left for acting.Plus theres not a single good mma movie out there and it just holds up their fighting career.

Waiting for Rampage held up the fight with Rashad Evans for a little over a year from his last fight where Rampage briefly quit and Rashad got a fight inbetween with Rampage thinking his acting career was going to go places,sadly for him the A-team was a slight bomb.

Cung Le is probably the worst,although hes more of a "ducker".Won the Strikeforce title and took almost nearly 2 years just for his next fight.Even then he held up the title for that long, then vacated it, and ends up fighting a month later instead of just fighting a top guy for a title defense.[/QUOTE]

Overeem did the same thing fighting in K-1/Dream I think it was.

It took him forever to defend the Strikeforce belt, but at least he actually did defend it instead of vacating it and fighting a month later after such a long hiatus.Although some might say he didn't come fight in the US during that period of time fearing a positive test for steroids.At least he was still fighting top guys in K-1 and hanging with some of the best kickboxers so its hard to fault him.

[quote name='Magiblaze']It took him forever to defend the Strikeforce belt, but at least he actually did defend it instead of vacating it and fighting a month later after such a long hiatus.Although some might say he didn't come fight in the US during that period of time fearing a positive test for steroids.At least he was still fighting top guys in K-1 and hanging with some of the best kickboxers so its hard to fault him.[/QUOTE]

I fault him still. Not as much as Cung Le, but nonetheless he gets a bit of grief in my mind because of how long it took him to defend the belt. All the blame should lie on Strikeforce though, because they let these guys go years without defending, screwing everyone in the division except the champion.

love the UFC especially UFC 110 but to me this has got to be the best fight ive ever seen, everyone agrees with me, what do you think? www(.)youtube(.)com/watch?v=DARjSqs2JBY (cant post links yet)

Exactly, it's Strikeforce's fault since they set the rules. If they don't want guys fighting for other promotions or not defending titles then they need to change the rules.

I agree,the biggest guy to blame is Scott Coker.Thinking about giving a title shot to Fedor anyway despite a loss,and in the previous Heavyweight title fight being Brett Rogers also coming off a loss.Giving title shots to guys coming off losses but I suppose no one even saw Werdum winning and putting a little wrench in their plans but M-1 might just get it their way and get a rematch instead.Just shows they value Fedor more then their own belt but they shouldn't show it in such a way.Sarah Kaufman I think it was their women's 135 champion had to settle for a co-main event slot on a challenger's card despite having a title being beaten out by Joe Riggs who hasn't been worth money in a long time and vs. some other guy.While Joe Riggs might have more name value then her its still just shows disrespect and how much you value the belt doing it that way.I don't recall offhand any ufc event where if a title was on the line then it wasn't the main event even if the match wasn't what people were mostly coming to see.Its always smart to make sure if there's a title on the line that its the main event.

It'd also be pretty smart to jump on the Nick Diaz vs. Mayhem Miller and get it while its still hot.I don't mind seeing KJ Noons vs. Diaz II but after a couple years its lost most of the steam it had before hopefully it doesn't take them that long to book this one.

Another good idea might be to see about getting Eddie Alvarez in-between Bellator seasons since I know at one point Gilbert Melendez was talking about it and I think it was the CEO of Bellator saying they could maybe make it happen.

So I realized something last night that about made me shit my pants, I went to High School with a guy who's making his UFC debut at UFC 122 in November. His name is Kenny Robertson, he was one year ahead of me in school. Anyways he was our state wrestling champ a couple of years in a row, nice guy too he wasn't a douche or anything which was both unusual and a relief. He is strong as an ox I remember that from the little "grappling" I did with him during slow moments in school haha. I had no idea he was even training in MMA so this was a complete shock to me. I mean when you grow up in a small town of 2500 people you don't really expect to have someone make it into the UFC as an undefeated prospect lol. Here's his fight finder info on Sherdog:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Kenny-Robertson-31978

Can't wait to see what he can do in November!

Just watched MFC 26 from Friday night and man that McKee / Acevedo fight was crazy. That gash on Acevedo's head may have been the bloodiest thing I've seen in MMA. Worse than Joe Stevenson or Diego Sanchez. Also, I'd consider dumping Tom Watson if I were one of his cornermen. The guy does not listen at all and does dumb stuff.

Anyone catch the Shark fights last night? I wanted to see it but $30 was too expensive for me.

[quote name='Maklershed']. Also, I'd consider dumping Tom Watson if I were one of his cornermen. The guy does not listen at all and does dumb stuff.[/QUOTE]

the way he fought, especially the second half of the fight was dumbfounding.

[quote name='ced']Who will he fighting when he gets busted for steroids again?[/QUOTE]

i dont think it should happen right away but id like to see barnett/werdum think their styles would make a good fight.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Probably Fedor[/QUOTE]
I'd 2nd it.Lets Werdum get the title shot at Overeem and gives Fedor a meaningful fight that still has some interest and gives him a way to earn a title shot.Has there ever been a person thats tested positive for steroids as much as Josh Barnett in MMA?He must be at least the most well known I'd think.One time it seems ok blaming the system like if you're Sean Sherk and pass a lie detector test but 3 times and still claiming you're innocent just seems a little silly.Nice to see Barnett getting back into the mix though with legit heavyweights.

I would say there most likely have been repeat offenders, but Barnett is on top for the most damaging busts. He was stripped of the UFC title on his first official positive, then essentially dealt the death blow to Affliction when the Fedor fight card was cancelled due to his second positive. Considering those two events were seven years apart and he claims innocence on both, I would call him either 1) a good fighter, but bold-face liar or 2) a good fighter with the crappiest luck with tainted supplements.

Tons of UFC programming last night, 4 hours worth.

Fight night turned out pretty good last night.Got 3 finishes and only one decision at least on the main card compared to the decision fest preliminaries.Figured Miller would beat Pearson but was surprised at remembering how small Pearson is.Looks like he could maybe make 145 and be the first TUF winner to be dropped to WEC.Although most of the fights were alright/good seemed to be a lack of hype for the card,even for the main event just didn't feel like any real build up but it still turned out all right with a pretty good ending for the main even. If Palhares would have been able to keep that heel might have been over but instead looked like as soon as Nate got out that first punch he landed might have KOed him and the rest waking him back up as he just layed there putting his hands up not doing anything.

Strong favs at least from the first episode of TUF seems like the guy that GSP called the Guillotine submission win before it happened and Bruce Lee Roy.The guy that knew Koscheck too with that 13 second KO.

Ultimate Gracie turned out to be well done.Much better of a documentary then the Ultimate Iceman special that I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Oliveira = future beast. He gets some wrestling and he will be an absolute beast...and he's only 20.[/QUOTE]

hes exciting, it was good to see the rumors of his striking being true. im looking forward to seeing more of him.

[quote name='paz9x']hes exciting, it was good to see the rumors of his striking being true. im looking forward to seeing more of him.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I knew nothing about his striking before this fight, but he tooled a somewhat decent striker. Granted Escudero was getting outstruck by Cole Miller until the KO (and Miller has terrible striking), but Oliveira just dominated with a capital "D".

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Me too. I knew nothing about his striking before this fight, but he tooled a somewhat decent striker. Granted Escudero was getting outstruck by Cole Miller until the KO (and Miller has terrible striking), but Oliveira just dominated with a capital "D".[/QUOTE]
speaking of miller, i wouldnt mind seeing him and oliveira fight. guarantee its entertaining.

I bet Dana White is thanking the good lord that Chael didn't win that fight. The backlash is going to be brutal as it is, and just cost the UFC a million ppv buy rematch, but if he had won the title and got busted for steroids the controversy would be even worse.

The rematch will be off I am sure. No reason why Sonnen would be allowed to get another big paycheck and a shot at the title. I suspect at least a six-month suspension will be dropped on him, although a year suspension sounds better IMO. He came out at UFC 117 and put on the greatest performance of his career and came two minutes from getting the belt and a win over the legendary Anderson Silva. Granted I think Andy is on the slide a bit, but nobody's done that to Silva before.

We were talking about the whole thing here on that forum, seems that Sonnen is getting even more hate. He's going to turn into Phil Baroni, everyone just wants him to lose.

[quote name='paz9x']speaking of miller, i wouldnt mind seeing him and oliveira fight. guarantee its entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Oliveira would dominate him in the stand up and...wouldn't get subbed on the ground. I can't say if he would beat Miller on the mat.

I actually think Miller would likely be beating Oliveira standing up with his superior long reach and more power in those punches although I'd think Oliveira has a better chin.I'd rather see them face different people though.Give Miller-Joe Lauzon and Oliveira maybe Kurt Pellegrino.I would say Jim Miller for Oliveira but I tend to think Jim Miller would actually win by a decision with better wrestling but good enough jit jutsu to avoid his submissions and at this point with Jim Miller on a 5 fight win streak he needs some bigger names to fight.

Here's a pic from Yahoo showing the noticeable acne on his back, a sign of steroid abuse.Looks like he started it around UFC 109 but managed to time it out right to not get caught.His jawbone looks like it gets more noticeable defined and toned too from the three events.
ept_sports_mma_experts-668897500-1284912264.jpg

Miller couldn't beat Oliveira in the stand up. Oliveira's fast kicks alone would rip Miller apart...and sure, Jim Miller's "5 fight win streak". How about 1 fight losing streak to Tibau.....

I've seen those pictures thrown around today. It looks like he has some scars even in the UFC 104 pic, so maybe he was on them then got off them for a while or something. I'm not so certain that UFC 117 was the first time Sonnen ever used PEDs.

I wouldn't shut the idea out completely.Miller has a pretty long reach for a lightweight and looks like a fairly big guy.Thinking of it though arguing a bit like this it doesn't sound like that bad of an idea to make it happen.Oliveira showed hes more then just a one dimensional jit jutsu guy with some striking but I could still see Cole getting the better of some of the exchanges.I think Cole's chin though is a little suspect-able at times though and might not hold up so it would be an interesting test to see how he does with someone bigger and likely better wrestling and knows enough about jit jutsu to likely avoid his submissions.

Scored that one for Jim Miller.It was close but I agree with the decision in that one.

It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't the first time.I would think a fair share more of fighters are using them too but are letting them cycle and get out of their system before the test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised to hear a little that they fired Efrain Escudero after losing to Oliveira.Mostly just because hes TUF winner and they tend to get a bit more special treatment then other fighers but I guess coming in overweight so much in the fight might have been the reason to add on to the loss enough to be fired.Aside from "The Comebacks" with veterans where Travis Lutter won and later got fired which some people don't really count,then this would make him the first TUF winner to be fired I think(I would have went with Mac Danzig being the first.).Pretty much a waste of a season for the lightweights on that season seeing theres not one left from it but at least they still have some of the LHW's from that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back