MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='paz9x']the santiago/misaki fight last night at sengoku 14 was fantastic. if you didnt catch you should because it was one of the better fights this year.[/QUOTE]

agreed, that was pretty decent. i would have liked to have seen both guys with better gas tanks but i enjoyed the match.

I think Couture will win against Toney, but if Toney stays upright, watch out! I have been a fan of boxing all my life(alot less since the HW division died and MMA took over) and have always wanted to see a pro boxer hit somebody without gloves. I guess this is the finally the time. :)

My picks:

BJ Penn
Randy Couture
Demian Maia
Kenny Florian
Nate Diaz

Also, Sengoku 14 replay tonight on HDNet. I hear its crazy. Looking forward to it.

[quote name='Maklershed']My picks:

BJ Penn
Randy Couture
Demian Maia
Kenny Florian
Nate Diaz

Also, Sengoku 14 replay tonight on HDNet. I hear its crazy. Looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

just a heads up if youre recording, the original broadcast ran long, 20-30 minutes over. do not miss the main event.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']agreed, that was pretty decent. i would have liked to have seen both guys with better gas tanks but i enjoyed the match.[/QUOTE]

both guys were nearly finished multiple times, i thought it was impressive they both kept coming despite that. man what a good fight, im recording the replay since my dvr cut off before that fight.

[quote name='paz9x']just a heads up if youre recording, the original broadcast ran long, 20-30 minutes over. do not miss the main event.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warning. The same thing happened with WEC last week and I missed the conclusion of the Benevides/Cruz fight.

Speaking of WEC, 9/30 is one of the best cards I've ever seen for one event:

• Champ Jose Aldo vs. Manny Gamburyan (for featherweight title)
  • Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia
  • Donald Cerrone vs. Jamie Varner
  • Chan Sung Jung vs. George Roop
  • Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick
Gamburyan, Cerrone, and Garcia are among my favorite fighters and after his fight with Garcia, Jung is right up there too. And although I have no affection for them, you can't deny the awesome abilities of Aldo, Torres, and Varner.

[quote name='Maklershed']My picks:

BJ Penn
Randy Couture
Demian Maia
Kenny Florian
Nate Diaz
[/QUOTE]
I second all these picks,although I'm torn on Nate Diaz vs. Marcus Davis, aside from the fight with Ben Saunders,David has has a great chin but maybe all the years of boxing had caught up with him.Marcus should have a weight advantage and be stronger as well so it should help him power out of some submission attempts,being a boxer himself you would think he'd hold the striking advantage also.Then again Marcus Davis hasn't really faced anyone with as good or close jit jutsu as Diaz except Joe Stevenson.I'm about 50-50 on this fight but going with Diaz by submission.

Nobody giving Frankie a shot...kinda opposite on here on that forum, where a lot of those guys have some interesting input. I think people are underestimating the dogs and smaller names on the card.

I'm not going to bother picking the prelims, even the ones televised on Spike, because I suck at predictions, usually. Got all of them right for the last PPV, though, except for the main event, and we all know what happened there. As far as tonight goes, I'll even preidict the finishes, but not the rounds:

Nate Diaz over Marcus Davis by submission
Kenny Florian over Grey Maynard by decision
Demian Maia over Mario Miranda by submission
Randy Couture over James Toney by TKO
Frankie Edgar over BJ Penn by decision

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm not going to bother picking the prelims, even the ones televised on Spike, because I suck at predictions, usually. Got all of them right for the last PPV, though, except for the main event, and we all know what happened there. As far as tonight goes, I'll even preidict the finishes, but not the rounds:

Nate Diaz over Marcus Davis by submission
Kenny Florian over Grey Maynard by decision
Demian Maia over Mario Miranda by submission
Randy Couture over James Toney by TKO
Frankie Edgar over BJ Penn by decision[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm going to place my bets now ;) :D.

Damnit I wish almost all UFC events weren't on PPV. I'd be happy even if it cost $10 instead of $45. I wanna see this live so bad. Especially to see Toney get grinded on the fence for a few minutes and then see Couture hop on his back and rear naked choke him.

[quote name='zewone']I got the same picks as my boy Mak.

P.S. happy birthday, Mak.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah and thanks mang.

[quote name='Ronzilla']Thanks. I'm going to place my bets now ;) :D.[/QUOTE]

Well, remember, I got the big one wrong last time. Damn Anderson Silva. And I'm risking not getting the type of finish right by predicting it this time. :p

Oh, and happy birthday, Maklershed!

Why the fuck was that dude in the audience just lifting his shirt to show the camera his man boobs? He's either really drunk already, or semi-retarded. Ah, welcome to Boston, UFC.

Just a quick note- last month, my predictions and who I wanted to win were one and the same. This time around, I want Marcus Davis and Grey Maynard to win, though I'm picking against them.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Why the fuck was that dude in the audience just lifting his shirt to show the camera his man boobs? He's either really drunk already, or semi-retarded. Ah, welcome to Boston, UFC.[/QUOTE]

As a fellow Boston-disliker (when it comes to sports, that is), you should know that you just answered your own question. ;)

Remember when you were a kid and someone bigger would put there hand on you head and you couldn't reach them? THATs exactly what this fight is like, Nate's reach is ridic

fuck you Gray Maynard and your garbage fight strategy. For anybody who likes to throw the phrase around, THAT was lay & pray. He had no fucking intention of doing anything the entire fight other than waiting on Florian so he could take him down and hold position. fuck you Maynard. You're not going to win a title with that bullshit.

Gray "The Boring" Maynard.

Although, Kenny did nothing to help himself that whole fight. He had more than enough time to do something on his feet.

[quote name='Matt Young']Nice try from Florian, but Maynard won all 3 rounds. I'm happy, but I didn't expect to see that.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I didn't think he won the 1st round. Not much happened in the round, but Kenny was the aggressor the entire round, was always the one engaging, and landed a few leg kicks and punches. Maynard throws 2 punches the entire round, gets a takedown with 25 seconds left and lays on Florian until the round is over...and that steals the round? To me, that's a good example of what people think is wrong with MMA scoring. I need to see the round again though. It just felt like Maynard did absolutely nothing until the takedown.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I don't know. I didn't think he won the 1st round. Not much happened in the round, but Kenny was the aggressor the entire round, was always the one engaging, and landed a few leg kicks and punches. Maynard throws 2 punches the entire round, gets a takedown with 25 seconds left and lays on Florian until the round is over...and that steals the round? To me, that's a good example of what people think is wrong with MMA scoring. I need to see the round again though. It just felt like Maynard did absolutely nothing until the takedown.[/QUOTE]

Point taken, but in most cases, a takedown takes more effort and the shots from Florian didn't do much damage. Maynard still won the fight, even without that round. It wasn't the most exciting bout, so I can see your frustration with it, but I'll admit that I enjoyed it more since I wanted Maynard to win.

[quote name='Matt Young']Point taken, but in most cases, a takedown takes more effort and the shots from Florian didn't do much damage. Maynard still won the fight, even without that round. It wasn't the most exciting bout, so I can see your frustration with it, but I'll admit that I enjoyed it more since I wanted Maynard to win.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, I'll admit easily that Florian's biggest weakness is his takedown defense. It's been his downfall in his fights against Sanchez, Sherk, and even against BJ Penn. But for Maynard to essentially have a strategy of doing nothing, was extremely lame.

Honestly, I thought Kenny should have just backed up, put his hands on his hips, and forced Maynard to come at him. It seemed like if Kenny didn't engage, there wouldn't have been a fight at all. Nothing like backing your way into a title shot. If he would have actually beaten Florian, I would have been impressed. But instead, it just felt like he was waiting for time to run out.

Daaaamn...I hope Randy chokes Toney out. That would make me laugh my fucking ass off. I would use it as my screen saver for at least the next year. I just hope Randy has enough quickness left in him to not get hit on his way to the takedown. I believe he does...but you always gotta worry about the lucky punch. I just don't wanna see some stupid ass Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer shit.

Can we get a translator for Toney?

I loved listening to Rogan point out everything that Toney was doing wrong. They felt like little elbow nudges at all the boxers who think MMA is nothing. That couldn't have gone any better. Toney didn't even get to throw a single punch, haha.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Toney talks the talk, and he'll walk the walk too. It won't take ANYTHING from Toney to kill the kill man with 4oz gloves.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that worked out well........:lol:.

Nothing better than someone who talks so much S#1T and then gets straight EMBARASSED. Good Job Randy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back