MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']People suggesting Overeem/Lesnar, Fedor/Anyone etc.....well, lets just say that probably still won't happen. It appears the UFC and Strikeforce will stay seperate for the most part, so just because Zuffa absorbed Strikeforce doesn't mean Henderson and Overeem and Fedor are in the UFC[/QUOTE]

This. It has some exciting possibilities, and I bet eventually Strikeforce will be "absorbed" completely into UFC, but for now I don't have any problem believing Dana when he says it'll basically be business as usual for both.

I'd think M-1 is probably fucked, though.

Huge news.Just woke up and figured it'd be a plain day then loading up mmamania and I see UFC buys Strikeforce.Seems like it'll eventually become a feeder organization when the fighter's contracts expire or maybe merge the fighters into the UFC if showtime doesn't like the deal offered after their contract with Strikeforce expires.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Huge news.Just woke up and figured it'd be a plain day then loading up mmamania and I see UFC buys Strikeforce.Seems like it'll eventually become a feeder organization when the fighter's contracts expire or maybe merge the fighters into the UFC if showtime doesn't like the deal offered after their contract with Strikeforce expires.[/QUOTE]

UFC's probably going to be able to absorb anyone they want because they will obviously be paying more then Strikeforce. On a related note, I can't imagine Strikeforce pay to go up simply because they are owned by Zuffa now.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']UFC's probably going to be able to absorb anyone they want because they will obviously be paying more then Strikeforce. On a related note, I can't imagine Strikeforce pay to go up simply because they are owned by Zuffa now.[/QUOTE]

whats their pay like overall? i see hendo made $250k for that last fight, isnt that a good bit more than his ufc salary was?

Also, I wonder if the m-1 global co-promotion crap will continue.

Its a bit different.In a way a win is the same,except with Strikeforce he just gets 250k win or lose, and with the UFC he only got 100k+150k if he wins.So overall Strikeforce was the safer bet.

I think the M-1 crap will continue for a while since Dana said Fedor would still be fighting for Strikeforce instead.I would imagine though after Fedor's contract runs out that they won't be able to get nearly the same deal with 2 losses and now with SF being owned by Zuffa but with Coker still running things but I'm sure thats fine with Fedor's team since it seems like Fedor will likely retire after this contract is up or before.

I wonder how long it'll take for the UFC to absorb Strikeforce, because, you know, I would really like to see Melendez-Edgar happen, and sooner than later.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']UFC's probably going to be able to absorb anyone they want because they will obviously be paying more then Strikeforce. On a related note, I can't imagine Strikeforce pay to go up simply because they are owned by Zuffa now.[/QUOTE]

Well, logistically, what Dana is claiming is kind of stupid. He's saying when contracts are up, he will negotiate with fighters just as he always has...as will Strikeforce. But when you're funds are essentially coming from the same place, aren't you just negotiating against yourself?

It seems more likely that the UFC would just be able to "call up" any fighter that they think deserves to shine on the big stage. But with Strikeforce allegedly retaining its big fighters and title holders, won't things get sloppy? Ultimately, I think Dana is just giving the PC answer for now, and has bigger tricks up his sleeve. I'll be surprised if Strikeforce still exists a year from now.

With Dream and Sengoku pretty much seemingly dead now with them letting their fighters go elsewhere and having zero plans for events in 2011 and all these sponsors pulling out, and Zuffa owning Strikeforce.The only other major brand out there is Bellator as hard to believe as it is.

I'm more interested in Melendez fighting Eddie Alvarez over Edgar but with this happening seems like Melendez vs. Edgar is a lot closer though.

Apparently Paul Daley isn't too happy about the merger though and is thinking about backing out of the fight with Diaz because of it.Hopefully the fight still goes on as planned,and I think it probably will.One good thing is that unless Showtime pulls something we should still see the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix continue.

Here's the Daley quote:

"Business as usual, what if i dont wanna fight for DANA WHITE/ZUFFA?......Dana white bans me for life from the UFC, Then buys STRIKEFORCE, and thinks im still gonna be EASY and fight on one of the most anticipated fights of the year (vs Diaz)? Which will no doubt make ZUFFA/Dana White money. Daley vs Diaz still on?.....Someone better holla at my manager real quick."

[quote name='Magiblaze']Apparently Paul Daley isn't too happy about the merger though and is thinking about backing out of the fight with Diaz because of it.Hopefully the fight still goes on as planned,and I think it probably will.One good thing is that unless Showtime pulls something we should still see the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix continue.[/QUOTE]

If that's true, Daley is dumber than even I could have thought possible. This is probably the ONLY way he would ever be allowed back into the UFC...because Dana would probably view it as an exception and that he wasn't going back on his word. I get that Daley may be upset with the UFC (though he has no one to blame but himself), but at the end of the day, he's gotta decide if he wants to be a world famous fighter for a living or go flip burgers. He should be grateful that he still has a job.

I'm pretty upset by the Daley news since my friends and I were planning on going to the event. There are still some good cards on the fight, but Diaz vs. Daley was the main reason I wanted to go.

I hope it works out, because I really, really want to see Diaz fuck up Daley.

Strikeforce will continue probably until their Heavyweight Gran Prix is over. Then its off to do the same thing Zuffa has done to WEC IFL PrideFC and Affliction. Snatch all the big names and the rest fall to the wayside. I just wish UFC would do more to promote fighters from outside the US (they have started to a little more lately) and stop babying fighters with fluff your win loss record fights.

[quote name='paz9x']whats their pay like overall? i see hendo made $250k for that last fight, isnt that a good bit more than his ufc salary was?

Also, I wonder if the m-1 global co-promotion crap will continue.[/QUOTE]

Looking at Henderson's pay is SEVERELY misleading, considering Cavalcante got paid like 9% of that and he was the champion. Other fighters (most) got like $1500 or slightly higher for purses...

[quote name='n8rockerasu']If that's true, Daley is dumber than even I could have thought possible. This is probably the ONLY way he would ever be allowed back into the UFC...because Dana would probably view it as an exception and that he wasn't going back on his word. I get that Daley may be upset with the UFC (though he has no one to blame but himself), but at the end of the day, he's gotta decide if he wants to be a world famous fighter for a living or go flip burgers. He should be grateful that he still has a job.[/QUOTE]

Daley can have a career outside the UFC (you know, there are other organizations besides the UFC). It won't be nearly as profitable, but perhaps Daley wants to take a stand. If he pulls out against Diaz, which is a huge fight, Daley could easily end up fighting in Bellator/Japan. Of course, like I said it comes down to Daley wanting to take a personal stand or make more money.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Daley can have a career outside the UFC (you know, there are other organizations besides the UFC). It won't be nearly as profitable, but perhaps Daley wants to take a stand. If he pulls out against Diaz, which is a huge fight, Daley could easily end up fighting in Bellator/Japan. Of course, like I said it comes down to Daley wanting to take a personal stand or make more money.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but IMO he'd still be a dumb ass. I don't know why he just can't acknowledge that HE'S the one who fucked up. Yeah, maybe Dana came down hard on him, but that was right after the Diaz/Mayhem nonsense, so his hand was somewhat forced. Truth be told, Daley was pretty much on the fast track to a title shot, and he screwed himself over. If he wants to sit and pout about fighting for Zuffa again, I say fuck him.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, but IMO he'd still be a dumb ass. I don't know why he just can't acknowledge that HE'S the one who fucked up. Yeah, maybe Dana came down hard on him, but that was right after the Diaz/Mayhem nonsense, so his hand was somewhat forced. Truth be told, Daley was pretty much on the fast track to a title shot, and he screwed himself over. If he wants to sit and pout about fighting for Zuffa again, I say fuck him.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't have said it better myself.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, but IMO he'd still be a dumb ass. I don't know why he just can't acknowledge that HE'S the one who fucked up. Yeah, maybe Dana came down hard on him, but that was right after the Diaz/Mayhem nonsense, so his hand was somewhat forced. Truth be told, Daley was pretty much on the fast track to a title shot, and he screwed himself over. If he wants to sit and pout about fighting for Zuffa again, I say fuck him.[/QUOTE]

He wasn't on any track towards a title shot (in the UFC). In any case, Daley says that he can make the same amount of money fighting in BAMMA as he can in the US, so I would do that if I were Paul.

Fight in the UK against sub-par competition making the same amount of money...or, fight in the UFC against a lot of guys you probably can't beat and roll in cash for people you hate.

What's wrong with your brain krakrabbit? If he would have beat Koschek he would have had a title shot and a coaching spot on TUF. If he hadn't done that dumbass move he would have still been a top contender and this was all in a relatively short time in the UFC.

I think Paul Daley could be a top guy,but wouldn't quite be championship material even if GSP moved to Welterweight.He's got some good power but his ground game definitly needs some work to make it to the best in the welterweight division.I see him a bit of a contender but not quite good enough to earn a title shot unless given the right fights.His biggest problem seems to be getting his weight under control.He's missed 3 times out of his last 6 fights.That's 50% and he'd be the BAMMA Welterweight champ if it wasn't for that.

[quote name='zewone']What's wrong with your brain krakrabbit? If he would have beat Koschek he would have had a title shot and a coaching spot on TUF. If he hadn't done that dumbass move he would have still been a top contender and this was all in a relatively short time in the UFC.[/QUOTE]

I thought you meant NOW he was on a possible track towards the UFC title if he got into the UFC. Obviously IF he would have beat Koscheck he was going to get a title shot.

I would enjoy to see UFC do a super show to be honest. Have top fighters cross over and fight one another for or awesome ppv. Overeem vs. Lesnar, Fedor vs. Struve, werdum vs. Valezquez, Rogers vs. Carwin. I would enjoy seeing Diaz vs. GSP, Penn vs. Diaz, Silva vs. Hendo, Hendo vs. Jon Jones and mayhem vs. Shields would be PERFECT now. I know a lot of these are way off but I can dream. I'm sure if I had the time I could look up rosters. Anyways I do think it'll be another WEC deal. And they may go with a PPV for the GP Finals. I'm way excited for unified rules starting asap!! I think with all these new weight classes, female fighters (getting better) and the amount of talent available from dream/k1/a few other jap. Promotions, UFC will be able to give us what we want. The best vs. The best.

[quote name='StealOfADeal']I would enjoy to see UFC do a super show to be honest. Have top fighters cross over and fight one another for or awesome ppv. Overeem vs. Lesnar, Fedor vs. Struve, werdum vs. Valezquez, Rogers vs. Carwin. I would enjoy seeing Diaz vs. GSP, Penn vs. Diaz, Silva vs. Hendo, Hendo vs. Jon Jones and mayhem vs. Shields would be PERFECT now. I know a lot of these are way off but I can dream. I'm sure if I had the time I could look up rosters. Anyways I do think it'll be another WEC deal. And they may go with a PPV for the GP Finals. I'm way excited for unified rules starting asap!! I think with all these new weight classes, female fighters (getting better) and the amount of talent available from dream/k1/a few other jap. Promotions, UFC will be able to give us what we want. The best vs. The best.[/QUOTE]

Strikeforce fighters V UFC fighters won't happen until the merger, which is probably at least a year away (likely more).

P.S. Women's MMA could very well be scrapped after the merger, considering the talent pool is very small and Dana has shown no signs of warming up to Women's MMA.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Strikeforce fighters V UFC fighters won't happen until the merger, which is probably at least a year away (likely more).

P.S. Women's MMA could very well be scrapped after the merger, considering the talent pool is very small and Dana has shown no signs of warming up to Women's MMA.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I honestly figure 2 years cause I think I read it on one of the sites I go to but I'm not certain.

I don't see the women surviving. I don't care but for a few of them to be honest. Bellator can have em.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I thought you meant NOW he was on a possible track towards the UFC title if he got into the UFC. Obviously IF he would have beat Koscheck he was going to get a title shot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that word "WAS" can be awfully confusing. ;)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, I know that word "WAS" can be awfully confusing. ;)[/QUOTE]

No need to talk down to me, I know more about the fight game then 99% of everyone in this thread. Lets keep it polite!

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']No need to talk down to me, I know more about the fight game then 99% of everyone in this thread. Lets keep it polite![/QUOTE]
Am I the 1% :lol:?

I'm looking forward to a Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans match if it ever happens.With Jones starting the whole thing saying he would fight his teammate leaving Rashad to say hes not a punk in a way forcing him to do it.Something about it seems like a grudge is starting to build here and in a way I find Jon Jones starting to become a bit arrogrant so I'm actually hoping to see him get knocked off the ladder now lol.

Picks for the ppv this Saturday

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Jon Jones TKO/KO Round 2 2-3
Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland Submission Round 1 2-3
Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus Unanimous Decision
Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller Unanimous Decision
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Brendan Schaub Unanimous Decision

So few people are picking Shogun in this fight, its crazy. In any case, I agree Jones is getting very cocky (Anderson Silva-like) and it seems like he assumes he will win. He's likely destined to be great, but best win in his career is over either so-so Bonnar or overhyped tomato can Ryan Bader...

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']So few people are picking Shogun in this fight, its crazy. In any case, I agree Jones is getting very cocky (Anderson Silva-like) and it seems like he assumes he will win. He's likely destined to be great, but best win in his career is over either so-so Bonnar or overhyped tomato can Ryan Bader...[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of Jones, so I'm picking him to win, but I don't see him completely walking over Shogun. I think because Shogun has slowed down juuuust a little bit over the years, and Jones looks better every fight in my opinion, people automatically want to give this win to Jones. I, as always pick with my heart instead of my head. my heart says Jones, but my head wouldn't be surprised if Shogun came out on top.

[quote name='Maklershed']So excited to finally see a UFC live. Anyone else gonna be there at 128 this weekend?[/QUOTE]
I was thinking about it, but for the same price I picked court side nets tickets instead. Got to meet Matt Hamill as I was leaving. Glad I picked the ball game, but I'll probably end up catching the UFC somehow anyway

[quote name='Magiblaze']Am I the 1% :lol:?

I'm looking forward to a Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans match if it ever happens.With Jones starting the whole thing saying he would fight his teammate leaving Rashad to say hes not a punk in a way forcing him to do it.Something about it seems like a grudge is starting to build here and in a way I find Jon Jones starting to become a bit arrogrant so I'm actually hoping to see him get knocked off the ladder now lol.

Picks for the ppv this Saturday

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Jon Jones TKO/KO Round 2 2-3
Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland Submission Round 1 2-3
Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus Unanimous Decision
Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller Unanimous Decision
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Brendan Schaub Unanimous Decision[/QUOTE]

My exact picks, but different endings for me.

Schaub round 2 KO
Nate by Decision
Jim round 3 by TKO
Faber round1 by Submission
Jones round 3 by TKO

I think Jones has every right to be favored. Young, Raw, Athletic & Cocky. I mean come on now, he's 23 and he has run through everyone. Shogun is his true test I believe.

My picks:

Shogun 1st Round KO
Faber 2nd Round Submission - choke
Miller by Decision
Marquardt by Decision
CroCop by 3rd Round TKO

I am a huge Shogun fan, I will never pick against him, so excited for this fight. Jones will be champ eventually, but not now. Cro Cop is obviously past his prime and isn't going to have a magical career resurgence, but I feel he will pull this out somehow.

Anyone have thoughts for Tibau/Pellegrino and Pyle/Alemida? Personally I like Shogun and Tibau a lot but I think Pyle CAN get the win. If he doesn't get subbed while on top Pyle will beat Almeida up. Marquardt is a big favorite, but no way he's going to lose that fight.

I think Shogun gets very lucky or gets outwrestled and is in for a long night.
I'm thinking outwrestled. Jon Jones is much bigger than Andrea Arlovski...

A lot of other easy-pick faves as most of the match-ups don't seem that competitive.

I agree Tibau and Pyle will probably win, though I would love to see Almeida dominate.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I think Shogun gets very lucky or gets outwrestled and is in for a long night.
I'm thinking outwrestled. Jon Jones is much bigger than Andrea Arlovski...

A lot of other easy-pick faves as most of the match-ups don't seem that competitive.

I agree Tibau and Pyle will probably win, though I would love to see Almeida dominate.[/QUOTE]

Pyle is on the Dolce diet for this fight, and has looked fanatstic in his last two outings. I have never been impressed with Ricardo and he will likely lose a striking match and get outwrestled. IMO his only shot to win is via sub off of his back, but there is a good chance Almeida can pull it off. I'm laying off the fight but I like Pyle as the underdog.

Anyone else think Facebook got the better deal for free fights then SpikeTV?Not a social networking person I didn't have a facebook so for one event I decided to sign up to see some free live fights with the one with Kid Yamamoto losing a decision and the server was a bit overloaded where it just wouldn't show up for me even after refreshing about 8 different times.So ended up deleting the account after that disappointment but have to say I'm a lot more interested in the facebook fights then what they're showing on Spike.

I think the odds are about right for the facebook fights.Although I'd make the betting lines for Pyle even to match Almeida.Agree with what was pretty much said.Either a likely decision for Pyle or submission victory for Almeida.

SPIKE TV FIGHTS
Luiz Cane (205.5) vs. Eliot Marshall (205)
Edson Barboza (155.5) vs. Anthony Njokuani (155)

FACEBOOK.COM/UFC FIGHTS
Ricardo Almeida (170) vs. Mike Pyle (171)
Kurt Pellegrino (156) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I have never been impressed with Ricardo and he will likely lose a striking match and get outwrestled. IMO his only shot to win is via sub off of his back, but there is a good chance Almeida can pull it off.[/QUOTE]
isnt pyle one of/the head grappling coach at xtreme couture? his ground game is supposed to be very good.
i think the matchups tonight have a lot of potential.

Heading out for my voyage to New Jersey. If any CAGs are there and you're in the lower levels keep your eye out for me .. tall, bald, and wearing a black Blackman MMA shirt. Oh and I'll probably be visibly intoxicated as well. :lol: :beer: :boxing: :whee:

[quote name='paz9x']isnt pyle one of/the head grappling coach at xtreme couture? his ground game is supposed to be very good.
i think the matchups tonight have a lot of potential.[/QUOTE]

Pyle does have very good grappling, but in the past has shown a vulnerability to getting submitted. He got subbbed by Brian Foster I believe it was about a year and a half ago, so its not like he hasn't been subbed in 8 years (like Marquardt).

[quote name='ronzilla']i'm saying it now........bones jones will eventually become the light heavyweight champion. That kid at 22yrs old
has some ridiculous athletic ability, skill, speed, and instinct. He reminds me of a younger version of anderson silva. [/quote]

:d

[quote name='Ronzilla']I'm saying it now........Bones Jones will eventually become the Light Heavyweight Champion. That kid at 22yrs old
has some ridiculous athletic ability, skill, speed, and instinct. He reminds me of a younger version of Anderson Silva.[/QUOTE]

Oh Yeah :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back