MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell yeah! There it is ladies and gentlemen. The birth of a legend! Jones DESTROYED Shogun just like he's destroyed everybody. It looked like a man beating up a little kid. Say what you want about Jones being "cocky" but he represents the evolution of the sport. A guy that big who is that good at so many things. As long as he keeps working at it, nobody is going to touch him for a very long time. I'm glad Joe brought up the Mike Tyson analogy because that's basically what we witnessed tonight.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hell yeah! There it is ladies and gentlemen. The birth of a legend! Jones DESTROYED Shogun just like he's destroyed everybody. It looked like a man beating up a little kid. Say what you want about Jones being "cocky" but he represents the evolution of the sport. A guy that big who is that good at so many things. As long as he keeps working at it, nobody is going to touch him for a very long time. I'm glad Joe brought up the Mike Tyson analogy because that's basically what we witnessed tonight.[/QUOTE]

I want to skip Jones & any other LHW and go for Jones vs. Silva and see Silva get destroyed.

[quote name='StealOfADeal']I want to skip Jones & any other LHW and go for Jones vs. Silva and see Silva get destroyed.[/QUOTE]

Silva doesn't ahve the reach advantage tha Jones has, there's no way he'll fight him

[quote name='StealOfADeal']I want to skip Jones & any other LHW and go for Jones vs. Silva and see Silva get destroyed.[/QUOTE]

I was actually going to say that, but in a way, I'd rather see GSP beat Silva because then Anderson wouldn't have any excuses. People comparing Jones to Silva are also way off because Jones isn't a boring ass counter puncher who makes his opponents come to him. He comes after you and straight up manhandles you. Considering that Sonnen already showed Silva's vulnerability on the ground, Jones would decimate him.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I was actually going to say that, but in a way, I'd rather see GSP beat Silva because then Anderson wouldn't have any excuses. People comparing Jones to Silva are also way off because Jones isn't a boring ass counter puncher who makes his opponents come to him. He comes after you and straight up manhandles you. Considering that Sonnen already showed Silva's vulnerability on the ground, Jones would decimate him.[/QUOTE]

Yeah after watching Sonnen and seeing the M.O. of "Break ya BONES" Jones, Silva would be lucky to survive to round 5, which I wouldn't see possible. And GSP is good, but he'll have to fight Silva and then what? Nothing. Jones is Silva V. 1 Million.

I think we'll have to get use to seeing Jones as the champion for the next couple of years since he seems like hes going to be a real long term champion.It really doesn't look like there's anyone currently that comes close.The guy just seems way too good for anyone to stop him with his physical skills and technique.Oddly hearing talks of people wanting Jones vs. Anderson Silva now.Just a scary fight for Anderson, even as great as he is its just Jones seems so anti his style its oddly the one fight I think Anderson could come in as a big underdog.

I was actually cheering for Shogun.Jones seems a little cocky or arrogrant but I suppose he has the skills to back it up but always fun to cheer the underdog.I think Lyoto probably has the best chance to beat Jones.Although I'd favor Jones still.

Fight night in a week from now.Anthony Johnson coming back after a near 1 year and a half to 2 years lay off I think. Saw a picture of him about a month ago the guy has gotten real fat at like 220 and hes had problems making weight before.

Sadly Mirko Cro Cop appears to be fired now even if well deserved.I was thinking after the fight happened on how he might retire after that.

So glad Jones took the win. Been a fan of his since he threw Hamill around like a toy (and of course, beating the shit out of Stephan Bonnar helps your standing with me!) The Evans fight makes be a little nervous though. Evans has good speed, powerful hands, and is, of course a wrestler as well as Jones. Then again, I always get nervous when Jones fights, so I may have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Poor CroCop. he was about a minute or so away from most likely a win of Schaub, but he got a little too aggressive, in my opinion with that kick, and payed for it. A good win for Schaub who gets to add CroCop to his list of names.

I really thought Eddie Wineland would surprise Faber, and he looked good in the first round, but I think he did way too much in that one round, and sorta kinda gassed mentally. He was still competitive, but it was like he lost something in the last 2 rounds, and of course, Faber on top of him didn't help matters.

Nate Marquardt is another guy I'm a big fan of, and I wish he'd been just a little more aggressive in his fight with Dan Miller. He showed some awesome submission defense, and some new striking, but i always feel like he lacks the killer instinct to go out and finish a fight, which is why he can't seem to win those #1 contender matches (The matches against Chael Sonnen and Yushin Okami.) Hopefully, he'll work a little more on takedown defense, and start attacking more because his strikes are great, but it's almost as if he doesn't have enough confidence to let the hands fly.

All in all, that was a pretty damn good card.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']So glad Jones took the win. Been a fan of his since he threw Hamill around like a toy (and of course, beating the shit out of Stephan Bonnar helps your standing with me!) The Evans fight makes be a little nervous though. Evans has good speed, powerful hands, and is, of course a wrestler as well as Jones. Then again, I always get nervous when Jones fights, so I may have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Poor CroCop. he was about a minute or so away from most likely a win of Schaub, but he got a little too aggressive, in my opinion with that kick, and payed for it. A good win for Schaub who gets to add CroCop to his list of names.

I really thought Eddie Wineland would surprise Faber, and he looked good in the first round, but I think he did way too much in that one round, and sorta kinda gassed mentally. He was still competitive, but it was like he lost something in the last 2 rounds, and of course, Faber on top of him didn't help matters.

Nate Marquardt is another guy I'm a big fan of, and I wish he'd been just a little more aggressive in his fight with Dan Miller. He showed some awesome submission defense, and some new striking, but i always feel like he lacks the killer instinct to go out and finish a fight, which is why he can't seem to win those #1 contender matches (The matches against Chael Sonnen and Yushin Okami.) Hopefully, he'll work a little more on takedown defense, and start attacking more because his strikes are great, but it's almost as if he doesn't have enough confidence to let the hands fly.

All in all, that was a pretty damn good card.[/QUOTE]

Amen Brother. :applause:

[quote name='Chase']Coming off of a victory of, the lesser Miller brother, Dan Miller, Nate Marquardt spoke with Ariel Helwani, and stated that he's considering a move down to 170.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/2...e-marquardt-mulling-move-down-to-welterweight

Mike F-a-g-a-n brings up a good point in that you have to wonder if Marquardt overheard, teammate, Georges St-Pierre say something about his rumored move up to 185.[/QUOTE]

i loved when helwani asked dana his thoughts about that.

Hmmm... Marquardt at 170. An interesting move as he's always looked huge at 185, with the exception of the fight with Miller. I think that might be able to work, especially if he can still look pretty big at 170. I always thought maybe he'd try his luck at 205 though.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']Hmmm... Marquardt at 170. An interesting move as he's always looked huge at 185, with the exception of the fight with Miller. I think that might be able to work, especially if he can still look pretty big at 170. I always thought maybe he'd try his luck at 205 though.[/QUOTE]

hes too small for 205 imo. doesnt have the power to fight there. his physqiue for this fight was noticably thinner than id seen him. makes sense hearing about the move after.

I noticed the decreased mass of Marquardt as well, but I don't think it would be a good move for him to be at 170. It could affect his cardio or strength, two things he has a lot of at 185. If it didn't affect either, he would be a dominant welterweight with his wrestling and striking ability. Anyways, as far as how Marquardt looked the fight played out exactly as expected. Wrestling + striking superiority and Miller's lack of wrestling to expose Nate's weak grappling off his back.

Schaub looked OK, but I wasn't overly impressed by him. He struggled on the feet and was muscled around in the clinch quite a bit by Cro Cop. His wrestling looked sharp and I still think he punches pretty hard (not exceedingly hard, just above average power) but if he got the fight he wants (Frank Mir), IMO he would get lose barring a one punch KO.

And Jon Jones...ugh. This kid is not going to lose the title to anyone for a long while. He will beat up Machida, Evans, Rampage, Hamill and I think he would destroy Anderson Silva as well. He would probably just sprawl and brawl and stop Sonnen as well, should they ever fight. Phil Davis could be a challenger to him, but Jones's striking is soooooooo unpredictable, quick, rangy and sharp that Davis would need to lay and pray constantly to win rounds.

I am a huge Shogun fan (who isn't?), but the fact is Jon Jones is 100% beast. His wrestling is incredible, his ground and pound and grappling is only getting better and his striking...well, he soundly outstruck Shogun on the feet I think that should tell you all you need to know about that.

Who in a Glenn Beck-as-Supreme-Ruler-of-Earth fiery, shit-encrusted Hell is John Olav Einemo and why is he Shane Carwin's opponent?

[quote name='Chase']Who in a Glenn Beck-as-Supreme-Ruler-of-Earth fiery, shit-encrusted Hell is John Olav Einemo and why is he Shane Carwin's opponent?[/QUOTE]

i dont know, but thats a heck of a long layoff.

Carwin had neck surgery, which is why he pulled himself from his fight against Roy Nelson. I'd like to see Carwin improve his technique and speed, and, in a rematch, knockout Brock Lesnar, then Junior dos Santos, and fight Cain Velasquez for the strap.

[quote name='Chase']Carwin had neck surgery, which is why he pulled himself from his fight against Roy Nelson. I'd like to see Carwin improve his technique and speed, and, in a rematch, knockout Brock Lesnar, then Junior dos Santos, and fight Cain Velasquez for the strap.[/QUOTE]

i was referring to einemo's layoff, over 4 years.

How does one not fight for 4 years and get a UFC contract?

Answer: You beat a few Gracies and won the ADCC. That's good enough hype when your mission is to be the Campbell's Soup meal for Shane Carwin.

[quote name='paz9x']i was referring to einemo's layoff, over 4 years.[/QUOTE]

Ah, okay, Well, in that case, I have no clue. Guy is apparently a former ADCC champion. His MMA record is short and he's 35 years old. I can't help but assume that the UFC is confident in a Carwin victory over a decorated opponent that will get him back into title contention.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']So, who ya guys got for Saturday's fight?[/QUOTE]

The performance of Phil Davis has heavy implications of how seriously the UFC will treat him as an opponent for, terrorist, Jon Jones. If his victory is memorable and devastating, I think a Mr. Wonderful-Bones showdown will be expedited. If Davis looks unimpressive, or loses, then he'll have to challenge someone like Machida or Rampage prior to getting a title shot. Honestly, I hope Phil Davis looks amazing in his fight against Lil' Nog. He has a very amusing personality that is quite different from the more serious mystique of Jon Jones.

I think Dan Hardy and Anthony Johnson will end when 'Rumble' brings the boma ye and hands Hardy his third straight loss. Johnson is as strong as Hardy, if not stronger, and has better wrestling. Hardy has good strikes, but appears to possess weak takedown and ground defense.

I'm particularly interested in Garcia-Sung Jung 2. That's a great fight to have on free television, so long as it's as interesting as their fight encounter. I also have interest in the performances of Johny Hendricks, John Hathaway, and Amir Sadollah. Hendricks and Hathaway could be en route to title shots if they can rack up three to four solid wins. With Amir, it's more of a waiting-to-see-if-he-ever-fulfills-his-potential deal. If he loses this fight, I, as a fan, lose faith in his ability to do anything in the UFC.

Waylon Lowe-Nick Lentz is a great fight to open the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here have any MMA or boxing experience? I'm thinking about signing up for a class this summer. Never been in a real fight before. Been thinking about it for 2 years now.

[quote name='Chase']Waylon Lowe-Nick Lentz is a great fight to open the show.[/QUOTE]

i hope lowe demolishes lentz, i dont care for him.

[quote name='thefallingscream']Anyone here have any MMA or boxing experience? I'm thinking about signing up for a class this summer. Never been in a real fight before. Been thinking about it for 2 years now.[/QUOTE]

I'm not an athlete by any stretch but I've spent years in MMA gyms grappling and working my striking. I make good money and have no need to get my face beat in for a couple hundred bucks but I enjoy the workout and strategy.

It's a bit scary at first but over time you'll really be glad you went.

I'm going to a boxing/mma gym tomorrow. I plan on asking some questions and also see if I can start doing something in the spring. I've been playing bball for 12 years now,so I'm in some kind of shape.

[quote name='Chase']The performance of Phil Davis has heavy implications of how seriously the UFC will treat him as an opponent for, terrorist, Jon Jones. If his victory is memorable and devastating, I think a Mr. Wonderful-Bones showdown will be expedited. If Davis looks unimpressive, or loses, then he'll have to challenge someone like Machida or Rampage prior to getting a title shot. Honestly, I hope Phil Davis looks amazing in his fight against Lil' Nog. He has a very amusing personality that is quite different from the more serious mystique of Jon Jones.

I think Dan Hardy and Anthony Johnson will end when 'Rumble' brings the boma ye and hands Hardy his third straight loss. Johnson is as strong as Hardy, if not stronger, and has better wrestling. Hardy has good strikes, but appears to possess weak takedown and ground defense.

I'm particularly interested in Garcia-Sung Jung 2. That's a great fight to have on free television, so long as it's as interesting as their fight encounter. I also have interest in the performances of Johny Hendricks, John Hathaway, and Amir Sadollah. Hendricks and Hathaway could be en route to title shots if they can rack up three to four solid wins. With Amir, it's more of a waiting-to-see-if-he-ever-fulfills-his-potential deal. If he loses this fight, I, as a fan, lose faith in his ability to do anything in the UFC.

Waylon Lowe-Nick Lentz is a great fight to open the show.[/QUOTE]

We are talking about the fights over here, but I think Davis will win soundly. Wrestling will beat Nog's iffy BJJ off his back. Also, Garcia/Sung Jung II could be good but the Korean Zombie is very discouraged after getting KO'd cold by Roop in his last fight. I expect another Garcia win.

Hathaway SHOULD win, Sadollah is in tougher then most expect, Hendricks will win, Nik Lentz will win another boring decision most likely and Rumble Johnson SHOULD beat Hardy but the serious knee injury and the long layoff could give Hardy a shot. If Johnson doesn't get him out in one round, Hardy could certainly win rounds 2 and 3 for a decision.

[quote name='paz9x']i hope lowe demolishes lentz, i dont care for him.[/QUOTE]

so i just realized that i confused nik lentz with jeff lentz. i recant my previous statement.

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Phil Davis Unanimous Decision
Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson TKO
Amir Sadollah vs. DaMarques Johnson Submission
Chan Sung Jung vs. Leonard Garcia Split Decision

Nog has been having the same match for his last two fights and now this fight.Style wise wrestlers tend to be trouble for the Nogs.Davis has good enough wrestling and should have good enough submission defense to pull it out sooo.

Ok so I'm off to the UFC tomorrow. I sprained my ACL and damaged my meniscus on Sunday but at least I have a handicapped parking pass for the event.

Generally I agree with magiblaze's picks but I still think nog beat bader in the decision.
He's got a chance, never count a nog out.

Hooooly shit that was a wild submission. Missed that fight the first time around but had to see what the fuss was about. Never seen that before. Awesome finish though. Damn

Finally got around to watching Jung-Garcia II. Zombie totally deserved the equalizer after the split loss and an amazing win at that. The Twister is nasty as fuck when it's actually locked. Easily a top SotY contender if not across the board winner.

Eddie Bravo didn't actually "invent" the twister. Guys on the UG managed to find it in old wrestling manuals from the 40's-50's. He just repopularized it. That is the 2nd twister I'm aware of in MMA, the first of course being Jason Chambers vs. Billy Stamp.

That said, I think Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed has some good thoughts on no-gi halfguard.

I have been twistered exactly one time in training by a huge opponent. It didn't feel good at all.

Small recap:

I think Davis looked terrible and this fight burnt, smashed, crushed, pulverized, spit on and threw away any idea that Davis would have a shot against Jon Jones. His wrestling is a bit overrated (although Diet Nog's TDD is outstanding) and his striking is just terrible. His kicks are OK, but his hands are terrible.

Jung looked OK I guess against Leonard Garcia, but he was getting outworked and only won rounds with his takedowns. On a related note, Garcia has no game off of his back and that will be exploited from now on. No reason to brawl with Garcia when you can take him down and lay on him or submit him.

Johnson's performance was good I suppose, but he's public enemy #1 for now because he swore he would brawl until somebody got knocked out, but actually only stayed on the feet for about a minute. Come on...Johnson will get raped by anyone who has wrestling and anything but a pure china chin (like Koscheck) because he can't take down good wrestlers and offers no resistance off his back. Also, Dan Hardy needs to train in the US for a long while and get some takedown defense or subs off his back. Team Rough House isn't doing it for him, he's not improving at all.

P.S. On an undercard note, Jon Madsen is a disgrace. Brawling when his striking sucks balls and ended up getting stopped. The Mike Russow train keeps on plowing through his competition though!

Fight Night wasn't so good imo.

Not sure why Johnson wouldn't just fight standing up.Isn't like he was losing it when he wasn't grappling during the entire fight.Hardy's only defense on his back was a kimura over and over.Needs to head over to Greg Jackson's.

I think the thing with Davis is the fact people are trying to compare him to Jon Jones.Hes a good up and comer but he isn't there yet and the thing is he'll likely never be at that level.Jon Jones so far seems like a one of a kind guy and people trying to throw Jon Jones exceptions on him is just a little unrealistic.His stand up wasn't that bad.I'm actually surprised Nog didn't have an even bigger advantage on the feet then what happened although I still had Nog winning the stand up but it wasn't by as much as I would have thought.

The twister isn't dangerous really, I think it would take insane pressure to snap the neck.

Mike Russow is actually from the gym I used to attend and my old trainer is his cornerman, so good for him. Unfortunately the AMC guy from my gym now got kneed in the ass 100x times. His clinch work has a long way to go before he's ready for the big show.

Sitting live was awesome and my seats were pretty damn great. The event went from about 3:00-10ish so you're in for a long haul. I was smart enough to eat a pretty huge lunch first so I wouldn't have to pay $7 for a hotdog.

I think there was one fight in the whole arena which is pretty good given the amount of muscling and posturing on display. My heart was warmed to see Pride gear all over the place (Seattle has strong connections to Japan) and I wore my pride hat proudly.

Bader is really the people's champ and went way out of his way to let dozens of people take pics and autographs and whatnot. Bruce Leroy actually came out after his loss to sign autographs being the only fighter on the card to do so (that I saw). Pulver got insane mad love and tons of people lined up to see him (he's a local boy).

It was a really cool experience that I'm glad I did once for cheap ($150) but I won't do another until I can afford the dopest seats in the house for a main event I really care about. You really get the best possible view from home on your HDTV. I will say you get an appreciation for the speed and power of footstomps and thigh-knees from seeing it live that you don't pick up on TV.

brock lesnar is going to be on ESPN first take... about... right now... i think it replays in 2 hours too .
well it was very uninformational... jay pretty much thinks he's a monster though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Magiblaze']Fight Night wasn't so good imo.

Not sure why Johnson wouldn't just fight standing up.Isn't like he was losing it when he wasn't grappling during the entire fight.Hardy's only defense on his back was a kimura over and over.Needs to head over to Greg Jackson's.

I think the thing with Davis is the fact people are trying to compare him to Jon Jones.Hes a good up and comer but he isn't there yet and the thing is he'll likely never be at that level.Jon Jones so far seems like a one of a kind guy and people trying to throw Jon Jones exceptions on him is just a little unrealistic.His stand up wasn't that bad.I'm actually surprised Nog didn't have an even bigger advantage on the feet then what happened although I still had Nog winning the stand up but it wasn't by as much as I would have thought.[/QUOTE]

Greg Jackson's isn't the only camp in MMA, no offense but I hate when everyone says that a fighter who needs to improve should go to Jackson's. In any case, I think Hardy needs submissions off his back. His striking is already very good, but I don't think he can improve his TDD quickly enough to make an impact on his career. But, if he learns subs off his back, he can strike when he wants and when he gets taken down pull out subs off his back.

No question he needs to train in the US for a while though, he just isn't getting what he needs in the UK.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Greg Jackson's isn't the only camp in MMA, no offense but I hate when everyone says that a fighter who needs to improve should go to Jackson's.[/QUOTE]

I was going to post exactly that.

I enjoyed ufn. I was bummed to see the hardy/aj fight go down like it did, I expected a stand up fight based on the hype. no reason to get down on aj so much about it, he used one of his strengths to take advantage of his opponents weakness. that was his best opportunity to win.

True. Given a choice between 1) an easy doubling up on your night's pay for ground & pound domination or 2) playing into your opponent's strong point for a slight chance at an extra $50K via KO or Fight of the Night, I'd be hard pressed to find somebody that would chance it and the latter option outside of the wild brawlers like Hardy and Garcia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back