Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Took about 67 bucks worth of games today from HV and picked up alot fo the games Id been really wanting recently with the GS credit (while keeping other games from the sale in my collection that I wanted to keep such as LOZ:TP)

Picked up with my credit from Batman, Mercs, and other games at GS
Rock Band 2 NEW
GH: World Tour (used but combined with cellfire coupon made it very cheap)
Little Big Planet NEW
GOW2 LE
renewed my edge card and GI sub
and still have about 22 left in credit... I am happy... if I luck out any more from this sale, Ill probably prepay on Resident Evil 5

[quote name='david12795']Really was there any decent gamecube games? like pikmin and kirby? i been meaning to play those. and what gc games did you happen to pick up?[/quote]
None of those, the very best things IMO are the 4 GCN I picked up in my first trip. Mint Zelda TP, Mint Zelda CE, Mint Zelda MQ, Mint Zelda WW (I took the last one just to have a non-PC cover). They look so great on my shelf, making an small unbroken chain of Zelda games.

Also, I don't know if you were just trying to get copies for your self of some of the games, but you missed a MP7, both Mario Superstar Baseballs, and there was a 2nd Eternal Darkness (That one I didn't take)

Most likely going to pick up one of the AC's tomorrow also. And hoping they give me the second disks to Xenosaga 3 and Onimusha DoD. They only gave me disk one of both and I tossed the receipt away like an idiot >_>

has this deal been made official yet? i don't want to keep checking the only 2 Hollywood video around here doesn't seen they know about it as off sunday -_-

I bought another 20 games today and flipped them. So far, I've flipped 40 games at a cost of $170.80 including tax, and turned them into $702.25 in Gamestop credit. I should stop, but it's just so easy!

All of the games I flipped today have already had their prices confirmed, so I won't bother listing them. I checked the current-gen stuff for the flaky prices at three locations but it was a no-go. Too bad, I would've given Two Worlds a try for $1.50.

[quote name='manthing']Went to the 3 Minneapolis, MN HWV and got:

2x :ps2: Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
2x :ps2: Lego Batman
:xbox: SW: Jedi Academy
:xbox: Land of the Dead
:ps2: Mercs 2

FYI: The HWV on Hennepin had squat outside of a lone :xbox: BattleFront 2

Also a saw a copy of :ps2: Firefighter 18, did I fuck up by not picking it up?[/quote]

Haha, I must have been just behind you. I asked the guy at the Dinkytown store if he'd had a lot of people buying games with the sale and he said "yea, one guy came in and bought $200 worth of stuff. He was just going from store to store clearing them out." Anyway, I take it you hit up Dinkytown, Uptown and the one down on Lyndale and 54th? Just asking to save myself any trips since I'm working with a bus pass here...

I finally found my first mistagged game. Battlefield Bad Company, got it for 12.XX. Gonna give it to my friend who wanted it more.
It's a shame, they didn't have any of the other mistagged games. I think someone got to them before me.

[quote name='luan87us']has this deal been made official yet? i don't want to keep checking the only 2 Hollywood video around here doesn't seen they know about it as off sunday -_-[/quote]

there were no signs at my store, i just asked an employee and they said yea, all last gen games are 3.99

weird, at my store, you have to rent two games or movies in order to take advantage of the $3.99 last gen deal

but fuck, i have a late fee :(

i'm gonna check another store tomorrow, hopefully its not like that

Well, today I revisited 3 stores I went to when this first broke mid-week last week. At the first store I had gotten in on the deal no problem back then and I found a few more things (Hot Wheels Beat That, Power Rangers Super Legends, and Family Guy). I didn't see any of the recent conversions so I asked if they had done them yet and they said they did. They checked and said 2 SW:FU were converted last night but they must have sold. Apparently a Mercs 2 was still in stock but I didn't see it. The guy went back there and found it hiding amongst the 360 games. That is seriously, like, the first time ever a clerk at any store has gone to find something that I couldn't and actually found it (every other time it was just missing). So kudos to him for that ;). But as for the SW:FU, damn, that game has been impossible to find. There is definitely someone else out there snagging these things as soon as they come available (and only missed that Mercs 2, probably, because it was in the wrong place).

Then I hit up one of the 2 stores on that side of town that had the movie deal mixed up with the game deal last time I went. At the first one they had said last week that I had to rent 2 "full price" things to buy the games. Then another CAG told me via PM he went there the very next day and convinced them otherwise - he actually had them call the DM to clear it up and then they sold him everything good :bomb:. Well, today I found a few he missed (Kung-Fu Panda, LSW II, DAH 2) plus I also asked about the conversions and they hadn't done them yet. Unfortunately it was just a single Mercs 2, but I got it nonetheless which made the trip there worthwhile.

Then I decided while I was out I might as well go to the next store just 5 miles from there. This store pulled the whole rent 2 plus only $12.99 and under thing on me before and they were LOADED with good Gamecube stuff. Well, guess what, surprise, surprise, all of that was gone. They STILL didn't want to honor the $3.99 deal (I assume another clerk had, though, or those games would still be there) even though they had signs up. She said I had to read the fine print. Well, I invited her over to do so with me and sure enough there isn't any (except the PS2/GC/Xbox and "limited to retail quantities" thing). She caved and said she would scan the code (which she had to dig out of a booklet) and see what happened.

This is where it gets strange. She said it worked on Mercenaries 2, Hot Wheels Beat That, Need for Speed Pro Street, and GTA San Andreas (found my first actual PH copy - yay!) but NOT on .hack G.U. or Street Fighter Anthology. WTF? She scanned it a couple of times on those as well. I didn't really pay that much attention to the original sale price of most of those but I'm fairly sure Mercs 2 would have been the most expensive so it wasn't a pricing issue (and certainly didn't limit it to $12.99 and under since I'm not sure any were that cheap). Anyway, that is a strange thing to keep an eye on. Like all the other receipts, the coupon promo says "XBOS, PS2, CUBE $3.99" (yes, "XBOS" :lol:) so she definitely scanned the right thing. It was just odd...

Also, got my second (and final) bad GTA:SA traded in. I thought I was out of luck when only the male manager was in the store I went to, but he took it without hesitation (I had removed the cover). However, it does appear he entered it as the PS2 version (despite me putting it in a green case) so I ended up with significantly less than I would have otherwise ($10.85 vs $16.45). But, after having it shot down at 4 other stores I was fully prepared to return it to HWV for $3.99 tomorrow if it didn't work out tonight. So while the CAG in me seethes a bit that he screwed that up, I'll get over it. He didn't nail me for any refurb fees despite the crappy condition of a few of the games so I guess we can call it even ;). I was in a rush before the Mall closed so I left most of the stickers intact which is usually something I'm very careful about. I tried to get most of the Hollywood logo off but left the bar codes along the side. Of course, the GS dudes tried to scan those whenever it was a case without a normal bar code :lol:. So, yeah, it is best to remove that stuff if you have the time (or just replace the cases if you have extras).

All told I got 3 Mercs 2 and 3 Lego Batman traded in (went to 3 GS stores - no pushing of the limits for me) so if they drop tomorrow, so be it. I ended up finding another Mercs 2 afterwards. As a backup, it gets $12 at Blockbuster (as does LBM).

I've been using all the Gamecrazy credit I had on gift cards for this sale. I brought 3 with me tonight that all had just little bits left on them. When it was all said and done, I ended up with just $2.10 left in portable GC credit (though I have some more on a store account). I even put back a Starfox Assault because I just couldn't fathom spending real money unless it was an excellent ratio...

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']I hate everybody in this thread...but in a loving way. Four hollywoods and ONE, YES ONE, copy of lego batman. And that's it.[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better I didn't see any copies of Lego Batman at 2 of the 3 stores I went to tonight ;). At the last store there were 3 - but I left them all there and actually went for the cheaper stuff for variety (I have enough LBM to trade). That was probably a mistake given that it was somewhat of a hassle to get them to honor the deal, but oh well...

[quote name='io']If it makes you feel any better I didn't see any copies of Lego Batman at 2 of the 3 stores I went to tonight ;). At the last store there were 3 - but I left them all there and actually went for the cheaper stuff for variety (I have enough LBM to trade). That was probably a mistake given that it was somewhat of a hassle to get them to honor the deal, but oh well...[/quote]
Like being stabbed by someone polite enough not to twist the knife.

[quote name='Drkirby']None of those, the very best things IMO are the 4 GCN I picked up in my first trip. Mint Zelda TP, Mint Zelda CE, Mint Zelda MQ, Mint Zelda WW (I took the last one just to have a non-PC cover). They look so great on my shelf, making an small unbroken chain of Zelda games.

Also, I don't know if you were just trying to get copies for your self of some of the games, but you missed a MP7, both Mario Superstar Baseballs, and there was a 2nd Eternal Darkness (That one I didn't take)

Most likely going to pick up one of the AC's tomorrow also. And hoping they give me the second disks to Xenosaga 3 and Onimusha DoD. They only gave me disk one of both and I tossed the receipt away like an idiot >_>[/quote]

Blah i wanted to play MQ x_x

well i certainly hope my store hasn't been taken over by some of the damn hoarders i keep hearin bout in this thread...plannin on travelin a good 80 miles to hit 3 hvs and 1 mg. no one's by chance hit the kennesaw/acworth store have they?

Theres a HWV next to me but I don't think there doing the sale or is it at all HWV? Mine has a gamecrazy if you need to know.

going to give HWV another try today I hope they know about this already >.< Going to call the store 12miles away ahead of time to confirm before wasting precious gas driving up for nothing.

Ok, I'll list my mighty nice haul:

*All games are in complete or perfect condition unless otherwise noted:

PS2:
Radiata Stories
Tokobot: Mysteries of Kurukurai
Fatal Frame II (disc and manual, no original case)
Worms: Forts
Ys: Ark of Naphastim
Romancing Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (missing manual)
Tales of the Abyss (disc only)
Shining Force Neo
God Hand
Samurai Western
Final Fantasy XII
Drakengard 2

GCN:
Mario Party 7
Metroid Prime 2

I didn't really browse Xbox games at all because I have just about every worthwhile Xbox game there is (which their aren't many).

[quote name='luan87us']going to give HWV another try today I hope they know about this already >.< Going to call the store 12miles away ahead of time to confirm before wasting precious gas driving up for nothing.[/quote]

I think its the low price of gas that is getting alot of CAG out there to these not so close hollywoods, I know I've been to one thats 15 miles away and with gas being 1.82 (near me) I didn't think twice.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I think its the low price of gas that is getting alot of CAG out there to these not so close hollywoods, I know I've been to one thats 15 miles away and with gas being 1.82 (near me) I didn't think twice.[/quote]

1.82??!! man i thought it was cheap near me 2.14. where u at?

I pretty much cleaned out the Southfield and Royal Oak stores in Michigan as of yesterday (again). Spent around $110 at HWV and got over $300 at GS. No complaints here :D

[quote name='Armstrong x360a']Haha, I must have been just behind you. I asked the guy at the Dinkytown store if he'd had a lot of people buying games with the sale and he said "yea, one guy came in and bought $200 worth of stuff. He was just going from store to store clearing them out." Anyway, I take it you hit up Dinkytown, Uptown and the one down on Lyndale and 54th? Just asking to save myself any trips since I'm working with a bus pass here...[/quote]

$200 worth of stuff? Not me...

At the Dinkytown store, all I got was some older titles the dude missed(SF:AA and SW Jedi Academy)

And I hit the Dinkytown, Uptown(22nd and Hennepin?) and the one by Lake Calhoun.

The Uptown HWV had squat...

Lake Calhoun the Lego Batmans and Mercs 2

I also forgot about the Richfield (54th and Lyndale)store...

[quote name='Capa']PS2 Mercs2 dropped to 8 TIV[/quote]

did you trade in any fifa 09s today also? i'm guessing that also dropped to $9 if mercs 2 dropped today...

[quote name='Capa']PS2 Mercs2 dropped to 8 TIV[/quote]

That's what the web site states, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. As of late last night, it was still trading at 19.25 before bonus + edge. We'll probably get confirmation one way or another soon.

[quote name='guessed']That's what the web site states, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. As of late last night, it was still trading at 19.25 before bonus + edge. We'll probably get confirmation one way or another soon.[/quote]
I traded in a few copies of FIFA 09, Merc 2, and LEGO Batman yesterday and the TIVs were the same as before.

[quote name='guessed']That's what the web site states, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. As of late last night, it was still trading at 19.25 before bonus + edge. We'll probably get confirmation one way or another soon.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ. I just traded it . I CAN CONFIRM IN STORE THAT IT IS 8.00
I traded 3 copies last night at 18.75.
IT IS NOW 8 IN STORE.

Lego Batman held.

I do have a copy of FIFA09, but it was in a different bag than the one I took in
(when I get my flips ready, I bag them the night before in bags from the store I'm taking them to, then when I get to a GS, I just grab a GS bag and go in).

From now on, any TIVs I post are confirmed in store by me, or over the phone in store with one of the 2 managers who slide me info and hold stuff for me I'm wanting to buy. If I post it, it's confirmed.

[quote name='Capa']Jesus Christ. I just traded it . I CAN CONFIRM IN STORE THAT IT IS 8.00
I traded 3 copies last night at 18.75.
IT IS NOW 8 IN STORE.[/quote]

Thank you for the confirmation, no need to shout.

I'm considering a road trip this weekend to hit 6-8 stores, that $15 total value drop on Mercs2 hurts if you consider I may have been picking up 50 copies of it. It is still a good flip though, and there are other undiscovered flips out there I'm sure.

In fact, I'll give you all one now.
Cabela Dangerous Hunts for PS2 is base TIV of 13

[quote name='Capa']I'm considering a road trip this weekend to hit 6-8 stores, that $15 total value drop on Mercs2 hurts if you consider I may have been picking up 50 copies of it. It is still a good flip though, and there are other undiscovered flips out there I'm sure.

In fact, I'll give you all one now.
Cabela Dangerous Hunts for PS2 is base TIV of 13[/quote]

The same game that they sell for 7.99 used?

[quote name='bgame2']The same game that they sell for 7.99 used?[/quote]

EDIT: Just checked again. Cabela Dangerous Hunts 2009, I'm guessing. $25 used at Gamestop.

[quote name='GuardianE']EDIT: Just checked again. Cabela Dangerous Hunts 2009, I'm guessing. $25 used at Gamestop.[/quote]
So does the first and second one have that high TiV?

I grabbed all the different Cabelas I could find at HWV from 07-08, there are 4 or 5 that I found. I'll get them all traded today.
Trophy Bucks is around 9 or 10 after bonuses, I've posted it's value before.
Dangerous Hunts is 13 base

I only saw a single copy of DH at one store, and 2 at the other, so it's not a high volume title. There were a ton of Trophy Bucks at each store. I'll be getting some more TIVs today, I made a list in my phone last night of titles that were 1)plentiful, 2)2007 or newer, and 3)priced 19.99 or higher used at HWV before the sale to see what else might be worth flipping

[quote name='jiggyteddy']So does the first and second one have that high TiV?[/QUOTE]

Well, typically when you have a series of games, like Madden FB, the older games are worth less than the new ones. So it's probably safe to assume that since GS sells the older titles in the Dangerous Hunts line for 8 bucks or 12 or whatever, that they do not in fact pay 13 base TIV.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']So does the first and second one have that high TiV?[/quote]

I'm guessing no. Why would they give a higher trade in value that their selling price? They're not Blockbuster.

[quote name='GuardianE']EDIT: Just checked again. Cabela Dangerous Hunts 2009, I'm guessing. $25 used at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
I think I've seen this before, but I can't be sure. 13 base is pretty good.

[quote name='GuardianE']I'm guessing no. Why would they give a higher trade in value that their selling price? They're not Blockbuster.[/quote]
Sorry GuardianE. I just realized that I responded to your "edited" post. Before it was edited, it sounded like you were implying both were at $13.

My apologies.

someone cleaned out my local GS. it was a goldmine prior to this as the store got very little traffic.

funny thing was as I was sitting in the store looking with dismay at the cleaned out selection this lady was talking on the phone to another store about the guy who cleaned the place out.

i stayed longer just to hear the conversation. apparently he had his mom driving him around going to all the hollywoods in the area. he was supposedly from columbus. He supposedly spent $400 plus at my hollywood alone. she even made a comment about how his receipt was so long it went over the counter and touched the floor.

this store has now changed their policy and you must rent two movies and the deal is only good on games $12.99 and under. Which is pretty silly considering anything worthwhile is already gone... they do have tons of sports game from 07 and back.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']His mommy was driving him around? Harharhar.[/quote]

This really strikes me as odd. Unless her son was giving her a cut. :lol:

lol...and why would they change the promo? Whether one person buys them all, or they take 2 weeks and 20 people buy them all, the end result is better for HWV to have one purchase done early.

[quote name='Capa']lol...and why would they change the promo? Whether one person buys them all, or they take 2 weeks and 20 people buy them all, the end result is better for HWV to have one purchase done early.[/QUOTE]
They probably thought they had an amazing deal on their hands (which they did before the mother and son team cleaned them out) and thought they could extort more money out of people. Too bad Madden 06 and Nascar Heat can't extort people out of their money.

Also, a question... I saw a Hollywood Video with some PSone games. Some nice stuff too, but disc only. Does it qualify for the 3.99 promo/ring up cheaper? I know, I know, should have had it checked, but I was in a hurry.

[quote name='GuardianE']This really strikes me as odd. Unless her son was giving her a cut. :lol:[/quote]

Only repeating what I heard. For the record, Columbus is just a bit over 2 hours from Akron... and I also heard her say that he said he had hit every store in the area. So this guy was clearly looking to profit heavily from this.

This was last week, the day it appeared on CAG...

And yes, I assumed that they were in this together... and probably made quite a bit of money off of it.

As for me, there's only one store by where I work that doesn't have a GC in it, and it was pretty cleaned out as well. I picked up 1 Mercs and 1 batman and 1 disk only Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and about 5 GC games for my son. Traded in Mercs & Batman last night for $44 and kept the rest.

[quote name='manthing']$200 worth of stuff? Not me...

At the Dinkytown store, all I got was some older titles the dude missed(SF:AA and SW Jedi Academy)

And I hit the Dinkytown, Uptown(22nd and Hennepin?) and the one by Lake Calhoun.

The Uptown HWV had squat...

Lake Calhoun the Lego Batmans and Mercs 2

I also forgot about the Richfield (54th and Lyndale)store...[/QUOTE]

I was surprised Dinkytown still had SSBM for the GC yesterday. Doesn't that still trade well? I didn't grab is since I don't buy these games to trade in anyway.

Good to know which ones you already raided, I'm hoping to still find Lego Batman and Mercs 2 myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back