Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
damn! apparently someone came in to one of the stores i was gonna hit tomorrow and bought 55 GAMES! O_O employee said it BLEW HIS MIND (and not in the good way)

luckily, the store that previously made me rent movies to qualify for the deal is doing it the RIGHT WAY NOW! so ill be hitting up that store first thing in the morning...cuz if i don't, the damn SDers are gonna hit it..(if they haven't already)

went to my local movie gallery. they didn't have anything, unless you count SEVEN copies of aquaman, call of cthulu (sp?), some samurai 20xx game, and seven copies of syphon filter: omega stream as a worthy find. i passed. if i should have picked any of those up, by all means, tell me.

[quote name='animemaniac14']damn! apparently someone came in to one of the stores i was gonna hit tomorrow and bought 55 GAMES! O_O employee said it BLEW HIS MIND (and not in the good way)

luckily, the store that previously made me rent movies to qualify for the deal is doing it the RIGHT WAY NOW! so ill be hitting up that store first thing in the morning...cuz if i don't, the damn SDers are gonna hit it..(if they haven't already)[/quote]
dude i bet you they already hit it lol. Better go now than wait. I am just lucky I'm in area with least amount of them. But I remember that sh!t happen to the Laptop deal at best buy. Just 1 night all 21 laptops available at a few stores were gone. It's freaking crazy.

Mecrs 2 is indeed $8 base at GS. I traded in 4 today. I find it absolutely crazy that the first Mercs has a higher base than the second.

Mercenaries(PS2)-$9.00($12.60)

FIFA 09 dropped too. I believe it has a base of $9

so i went back to HV today and and talked to the manager. very nice girl who also happens to play games. Told her i was here to pick up some stuff that i left before. She then said, "I was going to put these games in the used section, do you want any of these?" She then proceeds to hand me 4 copies of Mercs 2 and 6 copies of Lego batman. I said yes and went about my business. picked up the following:

:xbox:Star wars jedi outcast
:xbox:GTA San andreas
:ps2:wwe smackdown vs raw '08 x7
:ps2:mx vs atv untamed x3
:ps2:hot wheels beat that
:ps2:god of war 2
:ps2:shadow of the colousus
:ps2:Mercenaries 2 x4
:ps2:lego batman x6
:ps2:GTA san andreas greatest hits
:ps2:street fighter anniversary
:ps2:zone of enders (PC)
:ps2:zone of enders 2 (PC)
:ps2:need for speed pro street x2
:ps2:dance dance revolution

pretty good haul today. most gets flipped to GS. some will get ebayed like mercs and lego batman to help recoup my $138 spent today.

Damn. My local HWV had numerous copies of both Merc 2 and Lego Batman, but both were priced at $25 used, and the guy working the counter said the promo only applied to used titles priced at $19.99 or less.

Sigh.

[quote name='daminion']someone cleaned out my local GS. it was a goldmine prior to this as the store got very little traffic.

funny thing was as I was sitting in the store looking with dismay at the cleaned out selection this lady was talking on the phone to another store about the guy who cleaned the place out.

i stayed longer just to hear the conversation. apparently he had his mom driving him around going to all the hollywoods in the area. he was supposedly from columbus. He supposedly spent $400 plus at my hollywood alone. she even made a comment about how his receipt was so long it went over the counter and touched the floor.

this store has now changed their policy and you must rent two movies and the deal is only good on games $12.99 and under. Which is pretty silly considering anything worthwhile is already gone... they do have tons of sports game from 07 and back.[/quote]

[quote name='mastere333']I'm pretty sure that little d'bag was from Columbus. I went to the only HV in Columbus without a GC last week and the guy working told me that somebody had bought close to $400 dollars in games from them the other day and the receipt was like 10ft long. He said the person told him that they go around to all the stores looking for cheap games to sell on e-bay....so they obviously made a lot of money from it.[/quote]

Yea one of the employees told me that last week at the Hilliard HWV in Columbus. He hit the store last Wednesday I went Thursday morning found a few games for myself that's all. The only other one without GC was the high street one that closed down. I just went back today and they have no idea if and when the rest of the rentals will be converted.

Today I scored:
5x Mercenaries 2
3x Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
5x Lego Batman
2x Street Figher Alpha Collection
2x Marvel vs. Capcom 2
1x FIFA '09

and 7 others still in my car that I don't feel like remembering....there were at least 50 others I would have bought had I had more cash (debit card got stolen last weekend, of course)

I managed to get a copy of FIFA Soccer 09 and 2 lego batmans. I just found out though that the TIV went down for FIFA :( Is that true? Also, what is the TIV for Mario Baseball? Are there any xbox games with good TIVs?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']So have any of you had trouble trading in more than one copy of a game at a time? I have 3 Lego Batmans and 4 copies of San Andreas.[/quote]

I have. They have that rule in place incase the games are stolen. Visit different Gamestops or EB Games if you have more than one in your city.

My finds today

2sbpif5.jpg

Funny thing, I saw this game vault thing on this rental game (zelda 4swords). It wasn't for sale but I asked the employee if he could sell it and he gladly said he would. so heads up .

21nr449.jpg

Either someone beat me or I picked everything over last night. Today I only ended up with Pokemon Gale x2, WWE Smackdown Vs Raw (almost bought all 6 of them), Tales of Symphonia, Lego Star Wars II, Zelda Windwalker?, Mario Strikers and GTA:SA for Xbox.

We'll see how tomorrow goes if I feel like driving all over town.

[quote name='david12795']My finds today

2sbpif5.jpg

Funny thing, I saw this game vault thing on this rental game (zelda 4swords). It wasn't for sale but I asked the employee if he could sell it and he gladly said he would. so heads up .

21nr449.jpg
[/quote]
So it was you who called ahead and asked them to hold the 4 Lego Batmans!... Or did the guy never show and they put it back on the show floor like they said they would.

And how did you get the Pikmin 2? And the other Zelda games? Those never hit the show floor, and have no used sticker on them yet ether.

[quote name='plastik3000']I have. They have that rule in place incase the games are stolen. Visit different Gamestops or EB Games if you have more than one in your city.[/quote]

Or you can bring your receipt to prove that they aren't stolen. That rule specifically states that if you can provide a receipt, then multiples can be accepted. But it's still a YMMV, because you have to find a Gamestop employee that understands the rule.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']So have any of you had trouble trading in more than one copy of a game at a time? I have 3 Lego Batmans and 4 copies of San Andreas.[/quote]

Extremely YMMV on them accepting multiples. One girl at a GS was even giving me problems because I was trading GTA:SA PS2 and GTA:SA Xbox at the same time. The other clerk told her it was ok because they were for a different system.

I went to some of the HV closest to me and none of them have done any rental coversions. :cry: The only Lego Batmans I have seen are rentals. There are other lower TIV games available but I'm waiting to see if these stores convert more rentals before picking them up. I don't want to end up with 8 LBM and 8 Mercs 2 and nothing else. I have enough credit for now and don't want to get more unless I'm getting a 3x return.

I just took a look at the list, can't believe WWE Smackdown Raw trades in as high as it does. I'll keep that in mind when I'm shopping.
Also, grabbed Big Game Hunter 08. Hoping it trades in decent.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I just took a look at the list, can't believe WWE Smackdown Raw trades in as high as it does. I'll keep that in mind when I'm shopping.
Also, grabbed Big Game Hunter 08. Hoping it trades in decent.[/quote]
What list? o_O

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Yea one of the employees told me that last week at the Hilliard HWV in Columbus. He hit the store last Wednesday I went Thursday morning found a few games for myself that's all. The only other one without GC was the high street one that closed down. I just went back today and they have no idea if and when the rest of the rentals will be converted.[/quote]

Yeah you went the same day I did. I found a few games I was interested in for myself. I won't be going back though, it's too far out of the way.

Why are many of you buying so many copies of the same game?

You don't think another CAG or local gamer wouldn't mind some of these deals?

I thought CAG was a place to find good deals on games we wanted to play and not a FW or SD type site.

I know there is no way to prevent it. I guess I just thought this place was a bit different since it should be for gamers that are seeking a good deal and not hoarders that happen to play games.

Anyways, I guess I am just silly to report that I just picked up Final Fantasy XII and Twilight Princess. To play even.

[quote name='kube00']Oh noes the Newbie complains...go thread crap back over at gamefaqs[/quote]

dude you're an A$$. and you can't type right OR spell right to boot. :applause:.

i agree with the poster above...too many f'in people hoarding...this is a FRIENDLY place free from the tyranny of FatWallet-ers and/or SlickDeal-ers. That's why CAG was CREATED! (i think)

[quote name='Drkirby']So it was you who called ahead and asked them to hold the 4 Lego Batmans!... Or did the guy never show and they put it back on the show floor like they said they would.

And how did you get the Pikmin 2? And the other Zelda games? Those never hit the show floor, and have no used sticker on them yet ether.[/quote]

Surprisingly, no. I asked the guy and he was like w/e and gave em to me. :lol:
But I left a copy incase somebody wanted.

and those were rental games. i asked the guy nicely if i could buy them instead and he was like all right.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Why are many of you buying so many copies of the same game?

I thought CAG was a place to find good deals on games we wanted to play and not a FW or SD type site.

I know there is no way to prevent it. I guess I just thought this place was a bit different since it should be for gamers that are seeking a good deal and not hoarders that happen to play games.

Anyways, I guess I am just silly to report that I just picked up Final Fantasy XII and Twilight Princess. To play even.[/quote]

It use to be that way (a few years ago), now I think the ratio of hoarders to people who actually want to play these games is 10:1 sadly.

Well CAG also created to help people with low fund to afford more games then their money could. I do agree hoarding all copies of same games is bad though. I usually leave a few copies behind. And I do intend to flip these games to get games I actually want to play. Not everyone can afford to buy every game at $50-60 when it release even with a job and what not. People has their own budget. CAG is a great way for people like me (College student with 15hour part-time job, and alot of stuff to pay) too keep on gaming without worry about my budget. Thanks to CAG I can say I have saved hundreds of dollars on games. Without CAG I don't think I would ever able to enjoy so much new games. Flipping is great. Playing is great. KEEP CAGING~

There is no way any of us can tell people how to go about their CAGing ways.

Only thing we can do is just encourage comradery amongst CAGers. I know that I never try to leave any potential CAGer in the dust when I go on my adventures. I'll leave behind flips for 3 days or so. Then I'll go back to check.

[quote name='animemaniac14']

i agree with the poster above...too many f'in people hoarding.[/quote]

Are you including yourself?

[quote name='jiggyteddy']There is no way any of us can tell people how to go about their CAGing ways.

Only thing we can do is just encourage comradery amongst CAGers. I know that I never try to leave any potential CAGer in the dust when I go on my adventures. I'll leave behind flips for 3 days or so. Then I'll go back to check.[/quote]

That's been my practice. For example, with lego batman there were 6 copies at one store. I bought 4, and left 2 for anyone else who may be behind me. That said, I check my local BBV's a lot to give me some indication of whether there are other CAG flippers in the area. So far it seems that I'm the only one making the CAG type flips in my area so I don't feel bad when I take 4 of the 6 copies of a flippable game.

i vote to ban all the bragging hoarders from this thread. go back to sd and let people actually play for cheap instead of just feeding the beast gs so you can save 20 on your gears of war.

Meh, I'm satisfied that I "hoarded" all these games because I actually play them (yes i still play gamecube games) and i give few away to my friends, at no charge.

This is definitely the first time I feel "burned" by hoarders. I've read that there was basically one person in the entire city I live in that went and bought every possible game from every HW here. He is of course entitled to this but I thought that some people shopped in moderation. Especially since I was really only trying to fill up my back collection with a few flips.

My HWV has been almost completely picked over. All I found was a single Lego Batman for PS2. I saw a man there with two boys about 6 and 8 years old, so I gave it to him and let him know about the $3.99 deal. The kids seemed excited. I think the man was thankful. To me, that felt better than trying to flip it.

(Disclaimer: I admit that if I would have found a better selection, I would have had a much harder time giving it to someone else like that. Like most people, I think I am pretty selfish usually, so I don't blame others.)

Meh. I'd say I hoarded, but I also let another person join in on the hoarding. Plus, it paid for other games I wanted... and I did keep a good 10 games for myself, and nabbed 3 for friends.

Plus, who really wants 09 sports games? 2010 ones are right around the corner!

Going on a witch hunt, are we? If it matters, last time I bought from the closest HWV, they had 5 PS2 LEGO Batmans. I left 3. Hope one of you Tulsa-area CAGs got them.

But the real reason I'm currently posting to this thread...

I don't know if it bothers anyone else, but I haven't been using the posted coupon images because they didn't match my phone (Windows Mobile 6) and I'd rather display screenshots from my phone than print out the images and try to pass them off that way. Not that the GS clerks would know what my phone was supposed to look like, but still...

So anyway, I finally got Cellfire running on my WM5 emulator and took some screenshots. I plan on dropping each coupons' screenshots in a seperate folder (so I don't hit 'next' and accidentally display the Taco Bueno coupon) and then displaying them in full-screen slideshow mode for the GS worker.

cellfire_emulator_small.jpg

Here's the screenshots: LINK

3 images for each coupon: top, bottom (to show GS worker instructions), and code.

I'll get new screenshots up when new coupons appear. And if anyone wants screenshots of the other coupons (HWV, Taco Bueno...) just let me know.

[quote name='bgame2']That's been my practice. For example, with lego batman there were 6 copies at one store. I bought 4, and left 2 for anyone else who may be behind me. That said, I check my local BBV's a lot to give me some indication of whether there are other CAG flippers in the area. So far it seems that I'm the only one making the CAG type flips in my area so I don't feel bad when I take 4 of the 6 copies of a flippable game.[/quote]

So you would only feel bad if you hurt another CAG flipper, but not a CAG looking to just play the game? I am not trying to single you out, that comment just struck me odd.

I am not even saying anything bad about flipping. But flip in moderation. When you're flipping more than two copies of the same game..I think you're taking too much from the community for your own personal gains.

It's not a black and white thing though, I know that. I don't think anyone here is doing anything wrong. I just thought this was a different type of community is all then it is. It really is no different than FW or SD in the end.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Why are many of you buying so many copies of the same game?

Anyways, I guess I am just silly to report that I just picked up Final Fantasy XII and Twilight Princess. To play even.[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It still puzzles me that when somebody buys multiple copies of games, when they say that they are going to resell it on eBay people are up in arms and call them all kinds of names, yet if they buy multiple copies of a game and say they will flip them, they are almost looked upon as some kind of smart cookie.

It's still hoarding, it's still being greedy and it's still being inconsiderate to your fellow gamers who would also like to buy a cheap game (hence the name of the website)

Just my two penneth

What is weird is that I ended up with like 12 games for myself... most of which I had no intention on buying until the sale was underway and decided it was a good time to pick up games to play in the future (.hack series, marrowind GOTY, etc). I also flipped a good number, but didn't "clean out" stores of every flip... leaving quite a few of the kid-friendly games that would inevitably be purchased. Eugeat did leave a number of Lego Batmans behind and I picked one up for a filler, betting there's at least one left too. :)

I just can't imagine having my mother taking me from store to store, spending 200-400 per store. That's just insane amounts of spending..... and insane amounts of time to spend with your own mother (guess it would be different if it were somebody elses?).

I just wonder how cleaned out these stores would be if this deal wasnt YMMV as to proper honoring (since that deters a number of SD/FWers).

[quote name='monkeydeew']i vote to ban all the bragging hoarders from this thread. go back to sd and let people actually play for cheap instead of just feeding the beast gs so you can save 20 on your gears of war.[/quote]

THE MONKEY IS RIGHT ON...
The bragging is what lures in the hoarders.

Perhaps just keep the posts simple with trade in info and game titles to watch for....

Spent $x.xx and traded in for $yy.yy or
bought 17 Madden 06 ... just kidding but you get the gist...is what sends the lurker on a state wide journey with his mom....

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Couldn't have said it better myself.

It still puzzles me that when somebody buys multiple copies of games, when they say that they are going to resell it on eBay people are up in arms and call them all kinds of names, yet if they buy multiple copies of a game and say they will flip them, they are almost looked upon as some kind of smart cookie.

It's still hoarding, it's still being greedy and it's still being inconsiderate to your fellow gamers who would also like to buy a cheap game (hence the name of the website)

Just my two penneth[/quote]

But then again, this the real world
Life isn't fair =/; sucks, but it's true.

There are differences between CAG flippers and SD/FWs. I actually flip these games that no one ever buy to buy games that I actually PLAY. I do agree some people posted on this saying they bought every available copies of a same game is ridiculous but again they got the advantage for being there earlier than you do. If you live in an area with crowded CAGers and SD/FWers then you should know better than waiting a few days to go pick up these deals. You just have to be quick and get what you really want to keep first. And if people posting how much they're getting from flipping that doesn't always mean they're bragging. May be they thought they should contribute the list of what they have flipped and the profit from it so other CAGers can take note and get same/better deal. After all this forum was made to profit gamers with updated deals and promotions going around. And as always Deals and Promotions usually go quick. it just your fault that you're slower than others. Can't really blame it all on them.

yeah, I love the attitude that "the amount of flipping I do is ok, because the amount is X, but u do X+Y, and that is just TOO MUCH". It's like driving 70 in a 55, and bitching about the maniacs passing u at 75.

quote" can anyone confirm the TIV for mercs 2 and FIFA"
quote"I just got Big Game Hunter, I wonder what its TIV is"

the answers you seek were posted not more than 2 pages ok. If I post a TIV, it means I got it from personally trading a game, or on the phone from 1 of the 2 GS managers who have my number saved and give me inside info. If I post it, you don't have to doubt it

[quote name='Capa']quote"I just got Big Game Hunter, I wonder what its TIV is"
[/QUOTE]
Actually, cupcake, you only posted the tradein value of "Big Game Hunter" (there has been three or four of these made) and I assume it's the 09 version you posted since the base value was so high. Then you made another post saying "k guys just grab all 07 and 08 Cabela game."

I just think of hoarding as another variable to deal hunting. If there's a really good deal on a very desirable game, then you're going to be facing tons of opposition in getting that item. This late in the game (and it is late considering how long this deal's been running and the fact that it's been on SD) you'll be lucky to find anything if you have any gamers at all that shop in your local Hollywood Video.

I hate to reduce this to "you should've gotten there quicker," but honestly, you should've gotten there quicker. Great deals like this one will get cleaned out quickly, horders or not.

While I find it very sad that there was a kid driving across states with his mommy buying up all the games, he's probably not a contributor here. Maybe a lurker. And if you don't expect that from lurkers, then I don't know what to tell you.

Actually I posted Trophy Bucks, Big Game, and Dangerous Hunts. Then I said fuck it, grab all of the ones from 07 and 08, they all are good flips. My TIV posts are usually full of typos and not always complete, but I'm typing them as I drive to store to store, so you get real time TIV and deal info, without having to wait til I get home each night, but you are going to have to deal with partial titles and some typos

First off, it is unfair to blame other CAGS for ALL the hoarding going on. There is no way that anybody can specifically blame a CAG vs a SD user vs. non-forum gamers etc..

The fact is, this sale is AMAZING and I can see why people would buy as many $3.99 games as possible to flip or resell for 200%-500% profit not even counting those gamers who want to buy as many as possible for their collection. This is human nature.

That said, I do feel bad for other local CAGS that may have been late to the party in my region/area, but the early bird does get the worm. I went to many of my local HWV only to find out the HIGH DOLLAR flips had been picked clean by other people, maybe CAG lurkers, maybe SD users, maybe just other gamer enthusiasts that saw the great buy. At one store I went to I found out that another person bought 30 games(lots of Mario & rare Gamecube titles + Merc 2's & Lego titles) the day before and I was 1 day late. Oh well.. I don't harbor resentment. Envy or jealousy maybe...:cool:

The same thing happened to me at Toys R Us when they had all those incredible clearance deals going on. I went to two different TRU and found out someone had been in the day before and spent $1000+ dollars !! And I was once more just 1 day behind them ! :bomb: I wasn't so mad at the other guy per se but more dissapointed I couldn't have been the one to be just 1 day earlier on all the smoking deals and/or flips.

I did manage to make out pretty good on this deal a few days after it wa announced but since then, pickings are slim as it seems there are more than a few of us CAGS in the Sacramento Area along with I'm sure many SD'rs !

Whining does no good. Complaining about gentleman(or woman) courtesy just doesn't change the fact that if a store was handing out free cash, not everyone would take just 2 or 3 dollar bills and save some for the rest. Fact is, someone(or 2 or 3) in the line for free money would inevitably take it all if they could.

Sad to say but it is a fact that those that are in the know and act quickly make out the best if they are willing to spend the hours, gas, time and energy to scoop up deals.

Even if all CAGS stuck to a code of honor, it would not work because there are too many other video game enthusiasts or SD'rs that could care less and adopt an every man or woman for himself, first come first served.

Certainly EXTREME examples of hoarding ruffle my feathers(not to mention any specific CAG names since they know who they are) but honestly, it is just a fact of life and if you miss out on a great sale after being very late to the party, you sadly have only yourself to blame.

Sorry guys(and gals) if anyone is offended but outside CAG(and maybe in the CAG community as well) it often is every man or woman (or child being driven by his mom) for him/herself. :roll:

Anyways, just my 2 pesos...

[quote name='Capa']Actually I posted Trophy Bucks, Big Game, and Dangerous Hunts. Then I said fuck it, grab all of the ones from 07 and 08, they all are good flips. My TIV posts are usually full of typos and not always complete, but I'm typing them as I drive to store to store, so you get real time TIV and deal info, without having to wait til I get home each night, but you are going to have to deal with partial titles and some typos[/QUOTE]
The point is, you chatised me for asking "I wonder what the TIV for Dangerous Hunts 2008 is" when you never posted the answer to my question. The holier than though attitutde only works on the people still asking confirmation on Mercs 2 and Fifa 09.
"Go buy them" does not consitute telling CAG the trade in value. However, for those interested I was quoted 6.75 this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back