Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='007']
Anecdotal evidence, sure, but when I've talked about it at work, the first thing people ask is 'So, besides the 3D, is there anything else new?'. They literally have no idea that it isn't just another iteration of the DS that just happens to do 3D.[/QUOTE]

This is what I have been speculating as well. I heard some kid in Target tell his dad he wanted the system but his dad told him he just bought one for him last Christmas.

They've made the system with the same build and had numerous iterations with 'DS' in them. Consumers have been conditioned to think it's still the DS.

[quote name='seanr1221']The PS2 being a dvd player was the huge difference (besides the graphics).[/QUOTE]

Oh, right! I remember that! It was a really big deal that it had a DVD player. I recall my mother surprising me and my stepsister on Christmas morning with one. It was the Christmas they came out, and you couldn't find those things anywhere.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I had a little kid who was clearly watching me play SSFIV ask if the graphics are new on the 3DS o_O. Wow I just did not know some people can't tell and have knowledge that the system exists but does not know it is a brand new system. [/QUOTE]

Explained.

[quote name='Mad D']They've made the system with the same build and had numerous iterations with 'DS' in them. Consumers have been conditioned to think it's still the DS.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that consumers that bought the original DS have seen the Lite, DSi, and DSi XL. That's a lot of very similar upgrades to the original product. For those that aren't in the know, the 3DS can simply appear another variation of the original system, one that isn't nessessary to enjoy all the new games coming out. I'm sure there will be plenty of parents who will buy their children 3DS games not knowing they don't play in the original DS systems.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Double HUH?

What is this I "don't know what I'm saying", and what's this "once again"?[/QUOTE]

I also don't know what Wolfpup did. I'm the one that said I couldn't remember the major differences between the consoles.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Double HUH?

What is this I "don't know what I'm saying", and what's this "once again"?[/QUOTE]

Because in this one thread alone you've spouted more gibberish than most cags do in a year.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm sure there will be plenty of parents who will buy their children 3DS games not knowing they don't play in the original DS systems.[/QUOTE]

That got a chuckle out of me...I could imagine mass confusion/anger like that. Some parents may end up thinking it's a defective copy so they exchange it for another copy only to find out it's "defective" too... Nintendo does need to be more aggressive in informing the masses what's different about 3DS and its native games.

I wonder if most stores would give mis/uninformed buyers refunds instead of store credit in this case.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Explained.[/QUOTE]

Naw he clearly knows what DS, PSP, PS2, PS3, etc. looks like. This is a kid I actually do know and talk to from time to time. I thought it looked obvious enough that the 3DS is more powerful than the PSP.

[quote name='jamezuva']don't worry, I'll try to add everyone on Monday[/QUOTE]

Oh thank goodness.

[quote name='AndrewCP']Naw he clearly knows what DS, PSP, PS2, PS3, etc. looks like. This is a kid I actually do know and talk to from time to time. I thought it looked obvious enough that the 3DS is more powerful than the PSP.[/QUOTE]

Hm, that is odd then. Pilotwings is like leagues beyond any other DS title, for example.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']That got a chuckle out of me...I could imagine mass confusion/anger like that. Some parents may end up thinking it's a defective copy so they exchange it for another copy only to find out it's "defective" too... Nintendo does need to be more aggressive in informing the masses what's different about 3DS and its native games.

I wonder if most stores would give mis/uninformed buyers refunds instead of store credit in this case.[/QUOTE]

it's really hard to account for stupidity.

Hey, how come this Move game won't work on my PS2?

There was an NYC StreetPass meetup yesterday. Even though it was rainy and cold, enough people came for me to get ~50 tags

The Nintendo Week people were there. They were looking for a female 3DS owner to interview for the show, but couldn't find one so they just gave one of the employees' 3DS to some random girl and told her what to say :lol: She then posed playing the 3DS with some guys. The way she was looking at it was really unnatural and I'm curious to see how it comes out on video.

[quote name='pete5883'] They were looking for a female 3DS owner to interview for the show, but couldn't find one so they just gave one of the employees' 3DS to some random girl and told her what to say :lol: She then posed playing the 3DS with some guys. The way she was looking at it was really unnatural and I'm curious to see how it comes out on video.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear...

[quote name='pete5883']There was an NYC StreetPass meetup yesterday. Even though it was rainy and cold, enough people came for me to get ~50 tags

The Nintendo Week people were there. They were looking for a female 3DS owner to interview for the show, but couldn't find one so they just gave one of the employees' 3DS to some random girl and told her what to say :lol: She then posed playing the 3DS with some guys. The way she was looking at it was really unnatural and I'm curious to see how it comes out on video.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to go to that since I worka few avenues from union square but it was too early for me. That area is great for street pass though, I usually get one or two tags a trip there.

[quote name='pete5883']There was an NYC StreetPass meetup yesterday. Even though it was rainy and cold, enough people came for me to get ~50 tags

The Nintendo Week people were there. They were looking for a female 3DS owner to interview for the show, but couldn't find one so they just gave one of the employees' 3DS to some random girl and told her what to say :lol: She then posed playing the 3DS with some guys. The way she was looking at it was really unnatural and I'm curious to see how it comes out on video.[/QUOTE]

Eventually, my friend (who is a female) and owns a 3DS came and was interviewed!

The event, besides being very wet, was awesome! I am going to the rain-date event at Penn Station on Friday too!

You guys may have seen this-Toys R Us has some 3DS games 2 for $50...better than b1g150%!

It's all third party stuff, but I don't know...I may buy Rayman 2 + the Tom Clancy strategy game...

[quote name='Wolfpup']You guys may have seen this-Toys R Us has some 3DS games 2 for $50...better than b1g150%!

It's all third party stuff, but I don't know...I may buy Rayman 2 + the Tom Clancy strategy game...[/QUOTE]

eh, not too bad, I'm already bored with the 3 I got (SSF4, Pilot Wings, Ghost Recon) and want to try out some more stuff. Cave Story is the only game on my horizon until what, June?

List wolfpup is referring to:
Asphalt 3D
Bust-A-Move Universe
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs
Madden NFL Football
PES 2011
Rayman 3D
Ridge Racer 3D
Sims 3
Super Monkey Ball
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Hehe, I just got it yesterday and felt the same way. I'll keep playing it though and see if it gets interesting.

It's a very lonely, lonely game. (gives me that feeling, hard to describe)
And that's the only thing I like about it so far, even if it is boring.

It's good to hear... things... about Steel Diver, since it's at the top of my "Well, the release calendar until Zelda is empty, so if I get the hankering to buy a 3DS game it'll be this one" list. You know, things that I know aren't totally awesome, but are at least above the level of total suck.

I've already picked up SSFIV, Ghost Recon, Pilotwings, and Ridge Racer, so the pickings after that are slim. Looking at the launch, though, I'd be hard pressed to say I could've done any better. Love all four.

I don't have this, but I was in Target the other day and I played the demo of Pilotwings. I proceeded to have eye cancer during and after.

Is this normal?!
My eyes were hurting so bad :(

I figure it was because the system was strapped down and I wasn't able to fully adjust it to my face/eyesight?

You can pick the system up. Or at least you can in Best Buy (I don't know if Target's setup is different). Don't worry - it happens to the best of us. Not me though. I levitated it with my mind.

Some people report that the eye strain is a muscle training thing. I.e. you get over it after the first few sessions. I don't feel anything anymore. That's anecdotal, and I don't even know if this conjecture is a widespread consensus, but I see lots of people saying the first sessions are horrid and then the real jazz happens later.

Besides you can always turn it off if you want. And unless you've absolutely convinced yourself the screen is weird (*cough*) you end up with a snappy portable with nice graphics.

I want SSFIV and that Best Buy promo is tempting. If I didn't already have Pilotwings.

[quote name='lilboo']I figure it was because the system was strapped down and I wasn't able to fully adjust it to my face/eyesight?[/QUOTE]

What Strell said. You've really got to pick it up and find the 'sweet spot' otherwise you're going to struggle with the 3d. Try it in Best Buy with the 3d pretty low and the unit relatively close to your face and then go from there.

I've heard the 3D is intense in that but I played a little and it wasn't so bad. I've also felt like my eyes have gotten used to various 3D effect in the games and pictures I've taken. There were some where I had to first sorta cross my eyes until I saw it but I got used to seeing it with no effort. Are my eyes naturally crossing and if so, isn't that unnatural? Or is our eyesight evolving even further than we ever imagined?

I played two rounds of Street Fighter yesterday, with the slider on full. My eyes didn't feel weird afterwards, but at the same time, I didn't think the 3D was as pronounced in it as Pilotwings.

2 for $50 at TRU? Tempted to buy Ghost Recon and either Rayman or one of the racing games. Anyone know which racing game is better?

Also, about the whole "new system" thing, every single person I've talked to about the 3DS who isn't a "gamer" or someone that is relatively immersed in the video game realm has thought that it is just another DS redesign. One of my friends that lives next door just got a DS Lite a few months ago, and she was giving me shit for buying the $250 3DS when her DS Lite was only like $120 or something. So, yeah, the casual gamer or standard consumer may not understand that this is not a DS plus 3D, but it is in fact a brand new platform that just happens to also include 3D. Actually, I think some people in this thread also miss that mark, based on all of the comments about how gimmicky and useless the 3D is, and therefore the system sucks. It's much more than that. As has been said before, you're buying into the next generation of software.

[quote name='Rocko']2 for $50 at TRU? Tempted to buy Ghost Recon and either Rayman or one of the racing games. Anyone know which racing game is better?

Also, about the whole "new system" thing, every single person I've talked to about the 3DS who isn't a "gamer" or someone that is relatively immersed in the video game realm has thought that it is just another DS redesign. One of my friends that lives next door just got a DS Lite a few months ago, and she was giving me shit for buying the $250 3DS when her DS Lite was only like $120 or something. So, yeah, the casual gamer or standard consumer may not understand that this is not a DS plus 3D, but it is in fact a brand new platform that just happens to also include 3D. Actually, I think some people in this thread also miss that mark, based on all of the comments about how gimmicky and useless the 3D is, and therefore the system sucks. It's much more than that. As has been said before, you're buying into the next generation of software.[/QUOTE]

While I've not played either, I am leaning towards Ridge Racer myself, since everything I read says it is pretty good (and by most accounts Asphalt isn't good at all).

[quote name='Rocko']2 for $50 at TRU? Tempted to buy Ghost Recon and either Rayman or one of the racing games. Anyone know which racing game is better?

[/QUOTE]

Ridge Racer, hands down. Really, really enjoyed my time with it so far.

Ridge Racer 3D slaughtered Asphalt 3D. A3D suffers from near-slideshow framerate drops, from what I've heard. RR3D makes great use of the 3D, has lots of Grand Prix races and unlockables, and it's just plain fun to play. There's nothing quite like busting out an impossible drift around an S corner. RR3D may be a compilation of tracks from other RR games, but it doesn't hurt the overall game that much. It's one of the better 3DS games out at the moment. If you like Ridge Racer, you'll like Ridge Racer 3D.

Rayman 3D is just a port of Rayman 2. If you want it, just get it for the PS2 for a couple of bucks instead.

Against my better judgement (I know they will be cheaper later, and I really haven't had a lot of time to play lately) I'm really thinking about going and buying Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon after my exams tomorrow...

I also need to get the Rabbids game.

I can already tell I'm going to be sucked into 3DS fever just like I was when I got the DS.

Although the current TRU offer may be enticing, I'm going to stand firm and wait for some of next month's releases - Dead or Alive Dimensions, BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2 and maybe Lego Pirates of the Caribbean. Holding off buying Rabbids until it's part of a 2-for-$50 or similar sale.

I don't mind waiting a month or so for the next 3DS game...got enough DS RPGs (and some Vicodin) to pass time quickly.

im still happy with the titles i have. Been playing SF a ton.

So after Pittsburgh Comic-COn was over i had a total 20 tags 3 of them from the same guy. also had 4 figure battles going 3-1. May go to the next Street Pass event whenever it is held or just wait for Boston Comic Con or Philly or Baltimore.

The more I read this thread the more I'm tempted to pick up a 3DS really soon. Originally I had planned on picking the system up possibly at launch , with the mindset being if I get in on the system from day 1 I'll be able to enjoy it from the beginning and potentially keep the chances of me building up a backlog for it lower. Then after looking at the launch lineup and knowing that the online systems for it wouldn't go live till like may I figured I could wait till then to get one. Now I'm starting to lean towards picking one up now again.

[quote name='StarKnightX']The more I read this thread the more I'm tempted to pick up a 3DS really soon. Originally I had planned on picking the system up possibly at launch , with the mindset being if I get in on the system from day 1 I'll be able to enjoy it from the beginning and potentially keep the chances of me building up a backlog for it lower. Then after looking at the launch lineup and knowing that the online systems for it wouldn't go live till like may I figured I could wait till then to get one. Now I'm starting to lean towards picking one up now again.[/QUOTE]

I still think its a great pick up. Im not to nit picky on screen size and all that. As long as the screen is good and bright, i can care less. May should be a big month for it. The better titles of the release window will hit may and june and the E Shop opens up in May. I would get one around that time and maybe Amazon/TRU has another sale going on for those titles.

[quote name='integralsmatic']I still think its a great pick up. Im not to nit picky on screen size and all that. As long as the screen is good and bright, i can care less. May should be a big month for it. The better titles of the release window will hit may and june and the E Shop opens up in May. I would get one around that time and maybe Amazon/TRU has another sale going on for those titles.[/QUOTE]

The continuous steam of sales on a lot of the launch titles is definitely attempting to sway me , but at the same time the fact that the titles keep going on sale seems to imply that it might not be hard to pick them up at a similar price in a month or so.

Finished Ghost Recon last night and played a little bit of the challenge maps but they weren't that great because there just isn't as much mission variety as the storyline mode. Ended up putting about 25 hours into it which kind of surprised me. Most the of challenge maps were basically along the lines of here's 3/4/5 ghosts now kill some waves of enemies. The zombie challenge was kind of cool but ultimately I decided it wasn't worth keeping for just the challenge mode so I traded it in today and got PES 2011. I haven't played it yet but I figured it was worth giving a shot.

So far now I've played SSFIV, Ridge Racer, Ghost Recon, and Pilot Wings. By far Ghost Recon is the best of the bunch. SSFIV does have solid production value and lots of options but I just can't get myself hyped on fighting games anymore. Ridge Racer is pretty damn good as well and definitely my second favorite game.

We'll see how PES is but that's about it that I can see myself buying until Zelda comes out.

[quote name='pete5883']There was an NYC StreetPass meetup yesterday. Even though it was rainy and cold, enough people came for me to get ~50 tags[/QUOTE]

[quote name='flameofdoom666']The event, besides being very wet, was awesome! I am going to the rain-date event at Penn Station on Friday too![/QUOTE]

How did you guys find out about these events? I would've gone!

Ocarina of Time 3DS will have something called Boss Challenge:

- You can re-fight bosses individually OR
- You can re-fight all the bosses, one-on-one, gauntlet style

Dear Nintendo,
I want this feature in all of your games going forward.

Thanks, Everyone

[quote name='KingBroly']Ocarina of Time 3DS will have something called Boss Challenge:

- You can re-fight bosses individually OR
- You can re-fight all the bosses, one-on-one, gauntlet style

Dear Nintendo,
I want this feature in all of your games going forward.

Thanks, Everyone[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Sometimes in Oot and Majora I'd head back to boss rooms and get a little misty over a bested foe. Unless you can't re-enter those rooms, in which case I just thought about doing that a bunch of times.

Also, about the whole "new system" thing, every single person I've talked to about the 3DS who isn't a "gamer" or someone that is relatively immersed in the video game realm has thought that it is just another DS redesign. One of my friends that lives next door just got a DS Lite a few months ago, and she was giving me shit for buying the $250 3DS when her DS Lite was only like $120 or something. So, yeah, the casual gamer or standard consumer may not understand that this is not a DS plus 3D, but it is in fact a brand new platform that just happens to also include 3D. Actually, I think some people in this thread also miss that mark, based on all of the comments about how gimmicky and useless the 3D is, and therefore the system sucks. It's much more than that. As has been said before, you're buying into the next generation of software.[/QUOTE]

I can totally see why this is happening, consumers bought the DS and they are already happy with that. The 3DS games are placed right next to the DS games are not much different in packaging. The logo for the system is similar to the DS as well. The price is $100 more than the DSi and if you can find a sale on the DSi or DS Lite or if you buy used the price difference gets even larger.

I definitely agree that you are buying this system for the next generation of software, it can play games that the DS cannot play unlike the DSi and DSi XL which play the same games as the original phat DS with the only exception being DSi ware on the DSi. You will also have access to all future releases if you buy the 3DS. DS software will eventually cease production at which point you will be stuck with what is on the shelves or whatever you can find used.

However the software is very similar to the DS, in fact the lineup is almost the same at this point save for exclusives like pilot wings. Ridge Racer, sims, nintendogs, those are all games you can also buy on the regular DS. Consumers may be getting "I already played that on the DS" syndrome. Not that the games lineup won't improve.

The consumer might also think the 3DS is just a 3D version of the original DS, as in it plays the same games in 3D. Much like movies, you can see the same movie in 2D or in 3D.

I've been pecking away slowly playing BaMU for a week or two. Once I'm done with that, I'll move on to Samurai Warriors. BaMU is pretty easy except for some stages at the end can get tricky.

I've already got Ridge Racer-it's supposed to be the best one since Ridge Racers in 2005, although maybe not quite as good. (Obviously the best one on a Nintendo platform...first real one, really.)

I'm seriously thinking of getting that strategy game + Rayman 2... If I hadn't already finished Rayman 2 years ago...

Man, Gameinformer gave Steel Diver a 4/10!

What was the appeal behind Steel Diver? It had way more hype behind it than a random submarine game should...

On another note... wth is Atlus doing announcing another game when they haven't even said anything about Devil Survivor's "delay" >.

The appeal is probably just that it's a first party Nintendo game. I'd still like to try it...mainly because of that :lol:

bread's done
Back