Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Rocko']Picked up Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon. Sighhhhhh~

Ah well. At least I'm massing a collection already :3[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Dark Side....in 3D!

Ugh, I need to go to bed...

[quote name='Rocko']Picked up Ridge Racer and Ghost Recon. Sighhhhhh~

Ah well. At least I'm massing a collection already :3[/QUOTE]

I just got an email from Amazon and they are doing the 2 for $50 thing. I might just get the same two games... I dunno, though - that's still paying too much for those IMO ;).

I finally got to check the 3DS out, for a little bit, at the Nintendo World Store in NYC. It was fun. I didn't have too much problem with the 3D and didn't get a headache. I did seem to find that the 3D slider is lots of 3D, lots of 3D, lots of 3D, slightly less 3D, no 3D at all. Or at least it seemed that way.

I can't say I was blown away by it, but it was amusing. Madden 3D, the game that was in this particular 3DS, made it seem pretty stupid, but I don't blame the 3DS for that. Face Raiders was fun and I was mostly able to play it fine with 3D on - I mean I was able for the most part to stay in the sweet spot even though an AR game. It seemed to work better (the 3D) when I held the display closer to my eyes. Trying to play at arms length was problematic. Though certainly a gimmick, it was amusing. I'm definitely going to wait for a big price drop, however long that will take. It doesn't feel like a $250 gaming console to me. Needs to be under $200, preferably $150. I guess I'll be waiting a long time. Oh well.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Man, Gameinformer gave Steel Diver a 4/10![/QUOTE]

I might be by myself with this one, but I tend to trust G.I.'s reviews. Steel Diver doesn't deserve all the attention it's gotten. The gameplay is just stale. Feels like an updated port of a 1980 arcade game or something to me.

[quote name='crunchewy']Madden 3D, the game that was in this particular 3DS, made it seem pretty stupid, but I don't blame the 3DS for that. [/QUOTE]

I'm surprised the Nintendo World Store had that game in a 3DS. I hope they had other units with better games in them.

[quote name='io']I just got an email from Amazon and they are doing the 2 for $50 thing. I might just get the same two games... I dunno, though - that's still paying too much for those IMO ;).[/QUOTE]
I agree it probably is paying too much for them, but I'm caught up in the excitement of a new system, so, you know. :p

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm surprised the Nintendo World Store had that game in a 3DS. I hope they had other units with better games in them.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the other ones had different games in them, that was just the one that opened up for me to try (it was crowded). Yes, I wish i'd have been able to try a different game, but I was there with my wife and kids and I couldn't completely abandon them. :)

well, just grabbed Ridge Racer and rolled the dice on The Sims 3 for the TRU 2 for $50 deal. My only other two choices were Super Monkey Ball or Rayman, but figured those might get old pretty fast. If I only need one game for 'substance' then I'd say the Sims 3 should cover it..haven't even played that version on any console yet anyways..

[quote name='utopianmachine']I might be by myself with this one, but I tend to trust G.I.'s reviews. Steel Diver doesn't deserve all the attention it's gotten. The gameplay is just stale. Feels like an updated port of a 1980 arcade game or something to me.

.[/QUOTE]

That is a fair assessment, but I kinda like the half dozen controls on the screen in a weird Steel Battalion sort of way. This is a weird mash up of side scrolling and strategy.

Not Miyamotos greatest, but I can see he was having fun playing with the DS touch screen and the 3D is implemented nicely.

Still I will sell once I beat it.

[quote name='token2k6']well, just grabbed Ridge Racer and rolled the dice on The Sims 3 for the TRU 2 for $50 deal. My only other two choices were Super Monkey Ball or Rayman, but figured those might get old pretty fast. If I only need one game for 'substance' then I'd say the Sims 3 should cover it..haven't even played that version on any console yet anyways..[/QUOTE]

Share your thoughts if you will. The Misses is considering it for her 3DS.

[quote name='foltzie']Share your thoughts if you will. The Misses is considering it for her 3DS.[/QUOTE]

ha, will do, I wonder if IGN even reviewed it yet (?) they hadn't during the big launch mania..in fact, I'll probably even try it before Ridge Racer..(well nah ;) I'm dying to see that one, maybe one quick race! :lol:)

Looks like Sega will bring PSP's Crush to 3DS in 3D. Conisdered by many a decent platformer. Yes, yet another enhanced port but that's good news for us who never bothered purchasing a PSP.

[quote name='Rocko']I agree it probably is paying too much for them, but I'm caught up in the excitement of a new system, so, you know. :p[/QUOTE]

Oh I know - I'm about to pull the trigger on that deal as well. While I could easily avoid the TRU deal because that means driving to the store and spending real money, it is another thing with Amazon where I can put in an order in a minute and I already have the credit sitting there... Still, though, I have such a huge backlog and am already currently playing a very long, in-depth DS game (SMT Strange Journey, which I picked up at GS for $15). Despite the shiny new hardware I don't know if it makes sense for me to drop that to play a couple of $25 games that without being new 3DS games I'd never even give a second glance at. I mean, I'm hearing wonderful things about Ghost Recon and I like turn-based strategy games, but I have at least a dozen other ones I could play instead (across DS, PSP, and consoles) ;). And if I want to play a racing game, I still have Burnout Paradise, Sega Racing, and ModNation Racers on my PS3 all of which I've barely scratched the surface of.

So, for now, I guess I'll just stick with the Mii Plaza game on the 3DS and wait for Zelda.

[quote name='dallow']I'm looking forward to the inevitable RE Revelations and Mercenaries ports.[/QUOTE]

I am looking forward to Revelations... but Mercenaries for me, seems blah. I have it on my RE5 already. Mercenaries is very pretty though.

[quote name='io']Oh I know - I'm about to pull the trigger on that deal as well. While I could easily avoid the TRU deal because that means driving to the store and spending real money, it is another thing with Amazon where I can put in an order in a minute and I already have the credit sitting there... Still, though, I have such a huge backlog and am already currently playing a very long, in-depth DS game (SMT Strange Journey, which I picked up at GS for $15). Despite the shiny new hardware I don't know if it makes sense for me to drop that to play a couple of $25 games that without being new 3DS games I'd never even give a second glance at. I mean, I'm hearing wonderful things about Ghost Recon and I like turn-based strategy games, but I have at least a dozen other ones I could play instead (across DS, PSP, and consoles) ;). And if I want to play a racing game, I still have Burnout Paradise, Sega Racing, and ModNation Racers on my PS3 all of which I've barely scratched the surface of.

So, for now, I guess I'll just stick with the Mii Plaza game on the 3DS and wait for Zelda.[/QUOTE]

Streetpass is the most fun I am having with the 3DS... and I really like Pilotwings Resort!

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Looks like Sega will bring PSP's Crush to 3DS in 3D. Conisdered by many a decent platformer. Yes, yet another enhanced port but that's good news for us who never bothered purchasing a PSP.[/QUOTE]

Crush is awesome. It makes my brain hurt though - I can only imagine the pain of actually playing it in 3D. It will be wicked cool if they make the 3D go away completely when you are in 2D mode. Hmmm...

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Looks like Sega will bring PSP's Crush to 3DS in 3D. Conisdered by many a decent platformer. Yes, yet another enhanced port but that's good news for us who never bothered purchasing a PSP.[/QUOTE]

Awesome news. Crush is one of my absolute fave PSP games. Happy that more people will get to experience it.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']The rain date is for this Friday, outside of Penn Station. It runs from 3pm until 6:40pm. I am going to stop by for a bit. I need my Streetpass fix for the week :lol:

For more information about the raindate, look here:

http://www.facebook.com/StreetPassNYC#!/event.php?eid=101850413235412[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I can't get to the city during that window on Friday but I'll definitely keep an eye out for an upcoming meetup.

Yeah, I never dreamed it was even slated for 2011 until I saw that article. Strange.

I wonder if they're possibly prepping it for release against the NGP?

[quote name='007']Yeah, I never dreamed it was even slated for 2011 until I saw that article. Strange.

I wonder if they're possibly prepping it for release against the NGP?[/QUOTE]

If the NGP comes out at $250 I could imagine they would. Having a library of games that are pretty cheap (with price drops and all), plus Super Mario could make it a good buy to consumers.

Also I really hope this new Super Mario Game is not another New Super Mario Bros game, unless they go full on Mario 3 with it. I am not a fan of the NSMB games very much.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Also I really hope this new Super Mario Game is not another New Super Mario Bros game, unless they go full on Mario 3 with it. I am not a fan of the NSMB games very much.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Give me a full 3D Mario game, not a NSMB rehash.

[quote name='Strell']Both of you managed to miss the screens from the GDC speech?[/QUOTE]

Maybe they weren't duped by OBVIOUS FAKES.

Presenting them in an official capacity before the press? That's like the oldest trick in the book. That japanese guy was all up there talking that talk and I'm like, yeah, FAKE FAKE FAKE buddy. Sure, you're the President of Nintendo, whatever, dude.

[quote name='dallow']I'm nearing putting 40 hours into Ghost Recon. Haven't touched the multitude of side missions either.

Damn.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars is easily my favorite game for the system so far..and it honestly has nothing to do with any 3-D feature.

A close second would be Raving Rabbids. Awesome little platformer, very enjoyable. I own Sims but haven't played it yet. :(

More on Mario 3DS today.

http://kotaku.com/#!5794541/super-m...out-this-year--a-mix-of-two-great-mario-games

Miyamoto tells Edge that Super Mario 3DS will "a combination of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario [64]" but that, somehow, it's also "completely original."

He added that the device's 3D capabilities makes platforming a bit smoother, explaining, "The floors floating in space: in 2D it's difficult to judge the distance, but in 3D it's really easy."

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']A close second would be Raving Rabbids. Awesome little platformer, very enjoyable. I own Sims but haven't played it yet. :([/QUOTE]

Glad to hear about the Raving Rabbids game. It looked solid.

[quote name='omster']Going through NSMBWii now and it has been a blast so far! Why all the hate?[/QUOTE]

Because the 3D Mario games have been phenomenal since the Nintendo 64. Although Sunshine didn't get a lot of love, all the others have been major successes. Me, I'd rather play a Galaxy-ish game than another side-scrolling, Mario platformer.

[quote name='utopianmachine']
Because the 3D Mario games have been phenomenal since the Nintendo 64. Although Sunshine didn't get a lot of love, all the others have been major successes. Me, I'd rather play a Galaxy-ish game than another side-scrolling, Mario platformer.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Especially when taking into account this is a 3d system. A 2d platformer could be really good on the system but a 3d platformer just seems like the more natural fit.

Mega Man Legends 3 is coming to the 3DS eShop.... *cartwheels joyously*

MM Legends (and Misadventures of Tron Bonne) are guilty pleasures of mine.

Can't wait for the eShop to launch already!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Because the 3D Mario games have been phenomenal since the Nintendo 64. Although Sunshine didn't get a lot of love, all the others have been major successes. Me, I'd rather play a Galaxy-ish game than another side-scrolling, Mario platformer.[/QUOTE]

The Galaxy games were my favorite games ever! Given different circumstances, I may have enjoyed 64 and Sunshine as well. There will always be a space in my heart for side-scrolling Mario though.

Anyways, it looks like we are in for a good time with Mario 3DS!

Well, a really poor sounding 'prototype' version of Mega Man Legends 3 is coming. Seems to be a test from Capcom, but priced at only 200 yen, I'm sure it'll sell great.
Hope it comes here and stays cheap though.

Edit: Just watched the whole demo.... yeah.... man, they're lucky it's 2 bucks and I'm starved for digital distribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedvsBlue']Agreed. Especially when taking into account this is a 3d system. A 2d platformer could be really good on the system but a 3d platformer just seems like the more natural fit.[/QUOTE]

Also the 3ds has more horse power then the DS, I think its best to release a 3d platformer now and show off what the system can do then release a 2d one down the line when the 3ds is more established.

[quote name='dallow']Well, a really poor sounding 'prototype' version of Mega Man Legends 3 is coming. Seems to be a test from Capcom, but priced at only 200 yen, I'm sure it'll sell great.

Edit: Just watched the whole demo.... yeah.... man, they're lucky it's 2 bucks and I'm starved for digital distribution.[/QUOTE]

That really sounds like some BS for me. They already doing the voice acting for the game. No way that happened unless the project is greenlighted

[quote name='dallow']Edit: Just watched the whole demo.... yeah.... man, they're lucky it's 2 bucks and I'm starved for digital distribution.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I may have jumped the gun a little... Didn't know there was a demo and just looked it up. Ah, be a part of the development team...sounds like they're asking us to be beta testers for a fee?

If that's the case, I guess we won't get a full version until a much later date. Regardlessly I'm glad there's going to be another MM Legends. I had no idea it was in development for a good while.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Mega Man Legends 3 is coming to the 3DS eShop.... *cartwheels joyously*

MM Legends (and Misadventures of Tron Bonne) are guilty pleasures of mine.

Can't wait for the eShop to launch already![/QUOTE]

[quote name='dallow']Well, a really poor sounding 'prototype' version of Mega Man Legends 3 is coming. Seems to be a test from Capcom, but priced at only 200 yen, I'm sure it'll sell great.

Edit: Just watched the whole demo.... yeah.... man, they're lucky it's 2 bucks and I'm starved for digital distribution.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Oh, I may have jumped the gun a little... Didn't know there was a demo and just looked it up. Ah, be a part of the development team...sounds like they're asking us to be beta testers for a fee?

If that's the case, I guess we won't get a full version until a much later date. Regardlessly I'm glad there's going to be another MM Legends. I had no idea it was in development for a good while.[/QUOTE]

Yikes, glad to hear it's just some demo/beta. That would be terrible news if it were only being released through a rental service.

[quote name='omster']The Galaxy games were my favorite games ever! Given different circumstances, I may have enjoyed 64 and Sunshine as well. There will always be a space in my heart for side-scrolling Mario though.

Anyways, it looks like we are in for a good time with Mario 3DS![/QUOTE]

I loved Mario 64. Played it to death as a kid, then replayed it on DS when it released. I liked Sunshine too, but I seem to be in the minority. I never got into Galaxy, but that's mostly because I'm a bit tired of Nintendo's iconic plumber. Still, I'm more likely to play a 3D Mario game on 3DS than on my dusty Wii.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Looks like Rabbids Travel Through Time is an easy-peasy kiddie game. Getting an average Metacritic score of 55.[/QUOTE]

So it's mediocre....that's kind of a shame. It'd make sense to wait for it to hit the clearance bin and save $$ for more exciting games instead.

For any of you folks out there looking to import, Japanese 3DS' are retailing for $299.99 at play-asia. I would say worth it considering all the awesome stuff already announced that we're almost certainly not getting in NA even if you don't speak moon language.

bread's done
Back