Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='cochesecochese']For any of you folks out there looking to import, Japanese 3DS' are retailing for $299.99 at play-asia. I would say worth it considering all the awesome stuff already announced that we're almost certainly not getting in NA even if you don't speak moon language.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up but I'm going to wait for some different color schemes. I only see same 2 colors...didn't Japan get a few more different colors?

The Galaxy games are the only 3D Mario games I've *really* liked. Sunshine was too frustrating and I've never been able to get into Mario 64. I hate all the wandering around aimlessly trying to find stuff. Get's old fast. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (and probably 1, but I haven't played it as much), does it so much better. It's basically a 2D platformer design in 3D.

[quote name='crunchewy']The Galaxy games are the only 3D Mario games I've *really* liked. Sunshine was too frustrating and I've never been able to get into Mario 64. I hate all the wandering around aimlessly trying to find stuff. Get's old fast. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (and probably 1, but I haven't played it as much), does it so much better. It's basically a 2D platformer design in 3D.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, I get the impression you may have played the franchise backwards. Did you play the original Mario 64 game first? Back then, it defined the genre, and there was little else like it.

Have to agree- Mario64's responsiveness, controls, etc still work amazingly well today. You look at other games from that time like Crash and Spyro and they simply don't compare anymore.

The levels were a good size, and i liked the ability to be able to abort a mission and try for a different star if i wanted. Sunshine was a little to disorganized for me.

I would kill for more exploration heavy platformers. Not quite the collect-a-thon that Rare turned the genre into (although I love those games too) but the Galaxy games, despite their brilliance, were just too linear for me.

I am still hoping there will be some way in the future to play import games. Even if i have to get a gameshark sticking out in the back

So I finally got to try one of these today and I can't see anything but wavy lines and terribly blurry images on the screen. I couldn't find the sweet spot and even turning the slider on just a tiny bit made the wavy lines appear. I only looked at it for a min or 2 and it already made my eyes hurt. So yeah doesn't look like I am buying this unless I can get it for free from a points site (I am close on one) or for a severely reduced price in the future since I won't be using the 3D feature.

It was my cousin's 3DS too so it wasn't a demo unit that I could only hold in one position, I was able to hold it wherever I wanted.

Ironically, I can play the arcade version of Subroc 3D just fine (this came out in the early 80's)

Got Madden in the mail from Goozex today. The 3-D effect is nice but doesn't add anything to it. The gameplay isn't bad, better than previous PSP and DS iterations that I've played. That said, there's no depth to the game itself (no franchise, no multiplayer, no season stats or trading or anything like that). Glad I got it from Goozex but it has no long-term value. Might play through a season and put it back up on Goozex in a week.

I do like the 5-on-5 mode though, especially because you can do a season that way if you want, similar to NFL Street.

[quote name='jza1218']Got Madden in the mail from Goozex today. The 3-D effect is nice but doesn't add anything to it. The gameplay isn't bad, better than previous PSP and DS iterations that I've played. That said, there's no depth to the game itself (no franchise, no multiplayer, no season stats or trading or anything like that). Glad I got it from Goozex but it has no long-term value. Might play through a season and put it back up on Goozex in a week.

I do like the 5-on-5 mode though, especially because you can do a season that way if you want, similar to NFL Street.[/QUOTE]

There is a 2012 version coming out in August. I guess they just wanted rush the game to the launch. I don't look into Madden games, but I'm guessing '12 version would have more content.

[quote name='omster']There is a 2012 version coming out in August. I guess they just wanted rush the game to the launch. I don't look into Madden games, but I'm guessing '12 version would have more content.[/QUOTE]

Didn't hear that there was a 2012 version planned, so hopefully they beef up the content, otherwise it's a waste.

[quote name='SaraAB']
Ironically, I can play the arcade version of Subroc 3D just fine (this came out in the early 80's)[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but when was the last time you played that game? Maybe it did the 3D differently or your eyes and brain have aged?

Pilotwings sucks. What a waste of money that was. So far, all the 3DS games I've played have been pretty bad (except Lego Star Wars, which is just decent enough to keep playing till Zelda comes out).

Rayman Rabbids sucks
Pilotwings sucks
Rayman (still have not played)
Bust A Move (eh, it was $20)

And then, we get hit with Zelda and Cave Story in like the same week.

Hopefully the eShop hits soon. Looking forward to playing the GBC Zelda games.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Pilotwings sucks. What a waste of money that was. So far, all the 3DS games I've played have been pretty bad (except Lego Star Wars, which is just decent enough to keep playing till Zelda comes out).

Rayman Rabbids sucks
Pilotwings sucks
Rayman (still have not played)
Bust A Move (eh, it was $20)

And then, we get hit with Zelda and Cave Story in like the same week.

Hopefully the eShop hits soon. Looking forward to playing the GBC Zelda games.[/QUOTE]

What sucks about Pilotwings Resort for you? I am having a lot of fun with it.

[quote name='Teeheehee']Just curious, but when was the last time you played that game? Maybe it did the 3D differently or your eyes and brain have aged?[/QUOTE]

I think it was about 2009 when I saw it in the arcade, though its quite possible by then the machine had deteriorated quite a bit since its a really old game. Subroc 3D can break down easily and I am honestly surprised the game was in service in 2009. The game didn't give me any trouble though and did not cause a headache or any other problems. I know who the guy is who owns that arcade he is at a different place now but its farther away so next time I go out there I will ask him if he still has the Subroc game.

Is it a problem if all I can see when the 3D is turned on is wavy lines and blurry stuff on the 3DS? It happened as soon as I turned the slider up a little. When I put the slider down everything was good. I am not due for an eye exam until December so I can't ask until then but I do expect that since my optometrist is the one giving me my prescription that he will be able to answer my questions. I can see the pop out 3D at the movies although that would be uncomfortable for a long period of time.

The part I seem to have trouble with is the depth, I couldn't see it during Tron 3D and I can't see it on the 3DS, but I could probably try again. The problem is it caused such discomfort even from trying for less than 2 min that I don't think I want to try again. It makes me feel like my eyes are going to pop out of my socket.

[quote name='SaraAB']

Is it a problem if all I can see when the 3D is turned on is wavy lines and blurry stuff on the 3DS? It happened as soon as I turned the slider up a little. When I put the slider down everything was good. I am not due for an eye exam until December so I can't ask until then but I do expect that since my optometrist is the one giving me my prescription that he will be able to answer my questions. I can see the pop out 3D at the movies although that would be uncomfortable for a long period of time.[/QUOTE]

I posted an article in one of the 3DS related threads somewhere about not being able to focus or see 3D and potential eye or brain problems. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

I can't remember if this is it, but this can be relatable (but don't worry yourself):

When Dr. Kapoor wasn't playing, she helped explain the real troubles someone might have with seeing 3D. She described vision impairments that are muscular in nature, the simplest cases involving a person whose eyes don't line up quite right and therefore who has to do extra work to get their eyes to hold the focus needed to see 3D images. Those people might be able to see 3D for a time but would tire relatively quickly, she said, finding the experience of watching a feature film in 3D too straining to be comfortable. Up to 20 million Americans might have such problems as the result of either "binocular vision disorders" or "uncorrected refractive errors," according to American Optometric Association figures cited by the doctors. "Such conditions may make 3D-viewing difficult," said in an e-mail after our meeting. They indicated that as many as five million children have "have amblyopia or ‘lazy eye' that would make viewing 3D impossible."

A person with a "neurological deficit," an ailment of the mind rather than of the eyes, would have a different sort of problem, becoming dizzy after looking at 3D and, in serious cases, still feeling a sense of vertigo for hours, days or weeks after viewing a 3D video game or movie. Those brain issues could arise from glaucoma, which the doctors said is suffered by an estimated two million Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs + Cats, and Steel Diver (this one may be the exception) will not drop in MSRP during the 3DS lifecycle. Sure, you may be able to get a deal at a retailer- but officially, I don't see it happening. As for Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition... I can see it falling to $10 in a few months (because it is Capcom). I usually don't like fighting games, but when the price falls- I may scoop it up to see what it is all about. I hear great things, but I am very hesitant...

Hmm, I could see all three titles dropping in price as part of a Touch Generations sort of line. Well, except for Steel Diver, which probably won't need reprinting.

Put a 3DS in layaway, half because I never owned a DS and have long waited to, and the other half because I'm hoping for Megaman Legends 3 to make me its bitch. Dammit, after 10+ years of only playing MML1 I really need MoTB and MML2... but they cost so damn much. ;A;

I could see them moving the MSRP down. PSP game launch at $39.99 but quickly drop to $29.99. Lots of amazon marketplace seller and ebayer are selling new games for $30 before shipping

[quote name='Buuhan1']Put a 3DS in layaway, half because I never owned a DS and have long waited to, and the other half because I'm hoping for Megaman Legends 3 to make me its bitch. Dammit, after 10+ years of only playing MML1 I really need MoTB and MML2... but they cost so damn much. ;A;[/QUOTE]

I didnt even know Tron and MML 2 were rare. I have MML 2 complete and disc only on tron :(....guess im hanging on to these lol.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Put a 3DS in layaway, half because I never owned a DS and have long waited to, and the other half because I'm hoping for Megaman Legends 3 to make me its bitch. Dammit, after 10+ years of only playing MML1 I really need MoTB and MML2... but they cost so damn much. ;A;[/QUOTE]

Places still do layaway?

Anyone else find the sound on the 3DS really low wearing headphones? I turned up the commentary on Madden all the way, and it still barely audible.

[quote name='62t']I could see them moving the MSRP down. PSP game launch at $39.99 but quickly drop to $29.99. Lots of amazon marketplace seller and ebayer are selling new games for $30 before shipping[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has been WAY more resistant to lowering prices this generation though... Not just for old games, but MSRP as well. They seem to only want to drop hardware prices. I can't really blame them, seeing how much it's worked out for them. Besides, if the entire Wii library was ported to 360/PS3 at least 95% of them would start out as value titles. Nintendo will throw a $50 price tag on a game that should be given away for free... :roll:

[quote name='crunchewy']The Galaxy games are the only 3D Mario games I've *really* liked. Sunshine was too frustrating and I've never been able to get into Mario 64. I hate all the wandering around aimlessly trying to find stuff. Get's old fast. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (and probably 1, but I haven't played it as much), does it so much better. It's basically a 2D platformer design in 3D.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Before SMG2 I would have never thought a 3d platformer could have as tight gameplay as a 2d platformer.

I skipped Sunshine and SMG1 but have been playing Mario games since the first one on NES.

[quote name='integralsmatic']I didnt even know Tron and MML 2 were rare. I have MML 2 complete and disc only on tron :(....guess im hanging on to these lol.[/QUOTE]I saw MML2 complete for $63 at a second-hand store a few weeks ago.

[quote name='jza1218']Anyone else find the sound on the 3DS really low wearing headphones? I turned up the commentary on Madden all the way, and it still barely audible.[/QUOTE]

Could it have something to do with the ohm rating on your phones?

[quote name='omster']I guess they expected sales to be much higher.
http://kotaku.com/#!5795812

Probably due to lack of AAA games + price.[/QUOTE]

I again go to the point I made earlier in the thread, which is that the worst thing they could do was name this thing ANYTHING with 'DS' in it. The mass consumer has limited to zero knowledge of the fact that this is an entirely brand-new handheld. After the glut of 'new' DS models, people have been trained to assume anything new with 'DS' in the title is the same basic thing. Anecdotal evidence, but every person I talked to after I bought the 3DS asked almost the exact same question, which was "So, outside of the 3D, is there anything else different?". Zero idea that it wasn't just a DS that happened to have 3D now. This, frankly, is the first huge thing that Nintendo needs to address, especially with the OMGSOSHINY Sony handheld coming this fall.

On top of that, they're selling a (for lack of a better word) gimmick that you can only really experience by physically using a machine.

So, basically, you've got a $250 pricetag, a userbase that's been trained to assume that new models are nothing more than what they already have, a 'gimmick' selling point that can't be replicated by anything short of just playing the handheld, and a lack of anything with Mario or Zelda in the title. It's really not all that shocking that sales are below expectations.

Now, I'm saying that as someone who picked it up day-one, currently has four games for it, and sincerely loves the thing. Loves it. I'm sad that it hasn't really taken off. I can, though, understand why it hasn't... I just hope Nintendo does, as well.

^ I pretty much agree with all of this.

Now, here's hoping it doesn't bomb too bad so everyone who bought one doesn't get left in the dust after 2 years.

[quote name='utopianmachine']"The May firmware update, as reported previously, will also come with an online browser that you’ll be able to open and use even while playing a game."

Wow. Way to go, Ninty.[/QUOTE]

Trivial thing, but I think the Activity Log should be part of that top bar (be multi-taskable).

[quote name='theflicker']Trivial thing, but I think the Activity Log should be part of that top bar (be multi-taskable).[/QUOTE]

It certainly doesnt seem like something that should require another program to be suspended.

[quote name='007']I again go to the point I made earlier in the thread, which is that the worst thing they could do was name this thing ANYTHING with 'DS' in it. The mass consumer has limited to zero knowledge of the fact that this is an entirely brand-new handheld. After the glut of 'new' DS models, people have been trained to assume anything new with 'DS' in the title is the same basic thing. Anecdotal evidence, but every person I talked to after I bought the 3DS asked almost the exact same question, which was "So, outside of the 3D, is there anything else different?". Zero idea that it wasn't just a DS that happened to have 3D now. This, frankly, is the first huge thing that Nintendo needs to address, especially with the OMGSOSHINY Sony handheld coming this fall.

On top of that, they're selling a (for lack of a better word) gimmick that you can only really experience by physically using a machine.

So, basically, you've got a $250 pricetag, a userbase that's been trained to assume that new models are nothing more than what they already have, a 'gimmick' selling point that can't be replicated by anything short of just playing the handheld, and a lack of anything with Mario or Zelda in the title. It's really not all that shocking that sales are below expectations.

Now, I'm saying that as someone who picked it up day-one, currently has four games for it, and sincerely loves the thing. Loves it. I'm sad that it hasn't really taken off. I can, though, understand why it hasn't... I just hope Nintendo does, as well.[/QUOTE]

I seen the commericals and they are advertising 3D now but they make no mention that this is the new Nintendo handheld or how it is way more powerful than the DS. This is something that needs to be addressed because to the average consumer they wont know the difference, especially seeing DS in the title.

Plus the point that it has to be experienced is true. This is one of those word of mouth things, but for a $250 system with no heavy hitters on the machine yet, I can see why sales are slim.

Nintendo will get sales, it's just they need to focus on telling people this is our new handheld, this is the new system. We got Zelda coming.

[quote name='007']I again go to the point I made earlier in the thread, which is that the worst thing they could do was name this thing ANYTHING with 'DS' in it. The mass consumer has limited to zero knowledge of the fact that this is an entirely brand-new handheld. After the glut of 'new' DS models, people have been trained to assume anything new with 'DS' in the title is the same basic thing. Anecdotal evidence, but every person I talked to after I bought the 3DS asked almost the exact same question, which was "So, outside of the 3D, is there anything else different?". Zero idea that it wasn't just a DS that happened to have 3D now. This, frankly, is the first huge thing that Nintendo needs to address, especially with the OMGSOSHINY Sony handheld coming this fall.

Now, I'm saying that as someone who picked it up day-one, currently has four games for it, and sincerely loves the thing. Loves it. I'm sad that it hasn't really taken off. I can, though, understand why it hasn't... I just hope Nintendo does, as well.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with all this. You also have the fact that pretty much the only thing parents have heard about the 3DS is that it ruins kids eyes (whether ill informed or not), and since parents are already paranoid about children constantly staring at video games on a small screen this does not bode well for sales at all. With gas supposedly climbing to $6 a gallon during summer I do not think parents will be investing in a new DS for their kids especially one that is believed to cause eye problems and especially if they already have a DS. Even with Zelda coming out I am not sure if that can carry the system as once again, its a remake and not a new original game. Hardcore gamers will buy it for Zelda but I can't see parents spending $250 + $40 for their kids to play one game.

I think that the masses believe that this system plays the games they already have in 3D and that there are a few new titles to choose from. That is how the advertising strikes me. As for me I have a major case of... I already played that on the DS, when looking at the lineup of games. There are also no demo units in my city, they need to get demo units into most Walmart's, Target's and Gamestop's.

The price tag is simply too high as well, drop it to $199 and I am gonna go out and buy it instantly. We already know what happened to the PSP Go that released at $250. The iPod touch costs $229 for an 8GB and does more than the 3DS while the 3DS pretty much only plays games at this point and costs more. The 3DS also costs more than double of my $119 DSi.

My Target is cleaned out of DSi and DS Lite systems but only a few 3DS systems sold since launch if that. The 3DS stock is completely full here with basically none selling. Its clear that consumers are not ready to spend $250 on a portable when all the cheaper systems are cleared out before the newer one. If this was truly a successful launch you wouldn't be able to find a 3DS in stock anywhere and the cheaper systems would remain on the shelf as something no one wants anymore.

[quote name='SaraAB']I totally agree with all this. You also have the fact that pretty much the only thing parents have heard about the 3DS is that it ruins kids eyes (whether ill informed or not), and since parents are already paranoid about children constantly staring at video games on a small screen this does not bode well for sales at all. With gas supposedly climbing to $6 a gallon during summer I do not think parents will be investing in a new DS for their kids especially one that is believed to cause eye problems and especially if they already have a DS. Even with Zelda coming out I am not sure if that can carry the system as once again, its a remake and not a new original game. Hardcore gamers will buy it for Zelda but I can't see parents spending $250 + $40 for their kids to play one game.

I think that the masses believe that this system plays the games they already have in 3D and that there are a few new titles to choose from. That is how the advertising strikes me. As for me I have a major case of... I already played that on the DS, when looking at the lineup of games. There are also no demo units in my city, they need to get demo units into most Walmart's, Target's and Gamestop's.

The price tag is simply too high as well, drop it to $199 and I am gonna go out and buy it instantly. We already know what happened to the PSP Go that released at $250. The iPod touch costs $229 for an 8GB and does more than the 3DS while the 3DS pretty much only plays games at this point and costs more. The 3DS also costs more than double of my $119 DSi.

My Target is cleaned out of DSi and DS Lite systems but only a few 3DS systems sold since launch if that. The 3DS stock is completely full here with basically none selling. Its clear that consumers are not ready to spend $250 on a portable when all the cheaper systems are cleared out before the newer one. If this was truly a successful launch you wouldn't be able to find a 3DS in stock anywhere and the cheaper systems would remain on the shelf as something no one wants anymore.[/QUOTE]

Personally im all for it being over looked. This in Nintendo sooner or later there will be enough games where people be it 150, 200, or 250 will be forced to buy. Im just happy I got mine for 100 =3

So far I've played four of the launch games. I think everyone knows what they're getting into with SSFIV: Great production, standard SF affair, etc. Pilotwings, IMO, is just okay. It's novel, I enjoy it, but I can't play too long. IMO it should have been a $10 downloadable or a pack-in game... just doesn't have that much lasting power for me.

I just cracked open Ridge Racer 3D and played it last night/this morning. It's fun. I've never played a Ridge Racer game so I don't know how it compares. The drifting is satisfying and I'm enjoying myself. However, for me the 3D is almost nonexistent. I'm just not getting much from it.

IMO the one title I haven't heard enough about is Samurai Warriors. I'm really loving that game. It's just fantastic. Seems like it'll have a lot of replay value. If beat-'em-up/hack-n-slash is your thing, give it a shot.

I thought you picked up Ghost Recon as well?

I'll have to check out Samurai Warriors, those games can be fun since they are mostly mindless hack-n-slash which I like to play once in a while; how is the 3D?

Beat Ghost Recon, time was 38 hours.
Bunch of non-campaign skirmish missions to do but I'll take a break from this game for now.

[quote name='theflicker']Trivial thing, but I think the Activity Log should be part of that top bar (be multi-taskable).[/QUOTE]
Heh, I wish it did too!

After looking through this thread that the 3DS will have a mighty task ahead of itself. The system will now have to face certain factors for it to be a warranted purchase. I am one of those people that will wait for the next iteration of the system. The main factors I will state is the shape of people's finances, as in not having enough money to splurge on a $250 handheld versus other electronic devices. There are also people who will cut back on spending due to the high gas prices and the rise in price of food.

[quote name='yukine']I thought you picked up Ghost Recon as well?

I'll have to check out Samurai Warriors, those games can be fun since they are mostly mindless hack-n-slash which I like to play once in a while; how is the 3D?[/QUOTE]
I did, just haven't played it yet. Finals week and all. The 3D in Samurai Warriors is nice. Nothing overwhelming, but it adds a nice touch, I think. It isn't necessary, and when I'm tired turning it off is fine, but with it on it just adds that little touch that makes it more enjoyable, I guess. A little more exciting? I dunno.

[quote name='jtygah25']After looking through this thread that the 3DS will have a mighty task ahead of itself. The system will now have to face certain factors for it to be a warranted purchase. I am one of those people that will wait for the next iteration of the system. The main factors I will state is the shape of people's finances, as in not having enough money to splurge on a $250 handheld versus other electronic devices. There are also people who will cut back on spending due to the high gas prices and the rise in price of food.[/QUOTE]

That's fair enough, I'm too seeing that it isn't for everyone and that there aren't any game changers released for it just yet. I have mine already but I'm eagerly waiting the store and OoT remake before I'll really be picking it up before I fire up my PS3.

bread's done
Back