OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='FOnewearl']QFT while the deals are surely to be found I think with the internet they are getting fewer and futher between as time goes on. Around my area for the most part if someone has an old system and afew games for sale marked at 5-20 dollars it'll go within about an hour tops (and this will happen on Friday if it's a Friday-Saturday sale). Even if it's not a stellar deal to most CAGs to someone that isn't has versed in video games it may seem like a steal as they know that one PS2 game could cost $20 (with this $20 for a current game comparision being best for say a mother or grandmother buying an old system to keep junior entertained) so an old NES with afew noteables (sp?) like Super Mario Bros. marked about $10 dosen't seem to sit around long at a yardsale around my area. Advertised sales that mention an old NES or SNES in particular seem to sell out fast probably even before the sale starts. I was talking to someone at the fleamarket today that said that some people (probably mostly flea market dealers or collectors or something extreme) will actually go and knock on your door the night before if you have something advertised for your yardsale that they are interested in.

I can give a pretty good example of something I ran into like MSI Magus is saying. I woke up late one Saturday about a month ago and figured what the hell I'll go out yardsailing anyways as I was in the mood. I went over afew towns without a route as I saw a fair number of sales advertised so I figured I'd just run around without a route. I stopped at a sale with afew families set up saw afew N64 sports games marked $3 but then went around the side of the porch and saw a boxed NES that said $5 and a shoe box full of cart only NES games, about 2 dozen all common but alot of goodness from Ghost & Goblins to Castlevania, Bionic Commando and Zelda. I'm surprised to see this still around at about 11 AM pick it up and find who it belongs to just to be told sorry it's sold. I asked why it was sitting in the open not marked sold and why didn't who bought it take it to which the lady really didn't have a good reply. I think that someone in the family said hey I'll buy that or junior (or some family member) informed mom that it's a whole bunch of goodness and that they wanted to play it and not to sell it for afew mesley bucks :)[/QUOTE]

/nod iv also found when asking about games alot of times I get the response "Sorry I had video games out but they sold an hour or two ago" or "Sorry the video games where the first thing I sold". I think people as you said are just getting wise to video game prices so they are not out as much meaning us gamers have to compete for them, and then like you said mothers like my own are hapy to pick them up for younger children since they have just as much fun and dont know WTF a PS2 is yet.

Just a quick posting from Long Island...

Hit about 30 sales, all unadvertised, as I mainly stick to the signs that are posted on the main and access roads. This summer has been a disappointment on Eastern LI, especially compared to some of the finds I had last year. What I have been noticing is that video games are being scooped up prior to my arrival, OR, the people running the sales (upon me asking them if they have any older games for purchase) tell me that I am the __th person to ask for them. Anyway, my finds have strickly been limited to poorly written signs (cardboard and black marker dont make for legible signs under extreme sun and blistering temperatures at 35mph).

NES (2 controllers, zapper, hookups)
Genesis (2 Original Controllers, and a layer of dirt)

NES titles (none complete, few sleeves were in the box)
The Little Mermaid
Gumshoe
Tetris 2
Mario 3
Predator
Rad Racer
Super Dodge Ball
River City Ransom
Section Z
Ice Climber

Genesis Titles (Complete)
Sonic and Knuckles
NHL 94

Woman said $25, I said $10 and she accepted. Not a moiety/evil or snot deal by any means, but its an additional system (s) and some rarer games (S+K complete, RCR and SDB). Interestingly enough, the woman asked how I found the sale, and I simply said the signs, to which she replied to her husband (or neighbor), "See, I told you I put them out there." Looks like I need to focus on these hard to read signs.

[quote name='MSI Magus']/nod iv also found when asking about games alot of times I get the response "Sorry I had video games out but they sold an hour or two ago" or "Sorry the video games where the first thing I sold". [/quote]
i ran into this twice last weekend. one of the times it damn near broke my heart because they were selling everything for next to nothing, so i knew i would've been able to snatch all the games for a few dollars. oh well.

on a related note, i received the following for $42:

GC Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Master Quest (complete, excellent condish)
GBA Mario vs. Donkey Kong (complete, excellent -- i'd been wanting to play this bad)
GC Tales of Symphonia (complete, excellent condish)
DS Nintendogs (cart only)

not yard sale prices, but they were all games that were high on my want-list, so i think i did quite well picking them all up at once.

[quote name='IkilledLassic'] Not a moiety/evil or snot deal by any means...[/quote]

i disagree. that's an excellent amount of goodies for 10 bucks. nice haggle, too.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Woman said $25, I said $10 and she accepted. Not a moiety/evil or snot deal by any means, but its an additional system (s) and some rarer games (S+K complete, RCR and SDB). Interestingly enough, the woman asked how I found the sale, and I simply said the signs, to which she replied to her husband (or neighbor), "See, I told you I put them out there." Looks like I need to focus on these hard to read signs.[/QUOTE]

$10 is still a really good price and was well worth it. I know the cheapest I ever got a system and games was $5 (it was an NES with about 12-15 games) and the guy didn't seem very happy about going that low. Hell I'd probably be pretty happy to get Super Dodge Ball in the wild even if I couldn't get it lower then about $5. I missed an advertised NES & SNES at a yardsale yesterday morning. Stopped by at 7:30 to be told that they weren't selling yet. Stopped back about 5-10 minutes before 8 to see the yardsale up and running. I asked about the games to be told that they just sold 2 NES systems & a SNES (and I'm guessing about 10-20 games) for $50. I didn't feel so bad about missing it after that and it should make you feel better about your score too :)

[quote name='allyourblood']i disagree. that's an excellent amount of goodies for 10 bucks. nice haggle, too.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, 2 systems or 13 games....either one of those would be a decent find at $10. But 2 systems and 13 games at $10 is a hella good find.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Woman said $25, I said $10 and she accepted. Not a moiety/evil or snot deal by any means, but its an additional system (s) and some rarer games (S+K complete, RCR and SDB). Interestingly enough, the woman asked how I found the sale, and I simply said the signs, to which she replied to her husband (or neighbor), "See, I told you I put them out there." Looks like I need to focus on these hard to read signs.[/QUOTE]

$10 is still a really good price and was well worth it. It's not like everyone is breakable to the point of selling something like this for under $5 and it isn't worth passing up if your interested in these games for your collection. I know the cheapest I ever got a system and games was $5 (it was an NES with about 12-15 games) and the guy didn't seem very happy about going that low. Hell I'd probably be pretty happy to get Super Dodge Ball in the wild even if I couldn't get it lower then about $5. I missed an advertised NES & SNES at a yardsale yesterday morning. Stopped by at 7:30 to be told that they weren't selling yet. Stopped back about 5-10 minutes before 8 to see the yardsale up and running. I asked about the games to be told that they just sold 2 NES systems & a SNES (and I'm guessing about 10 to 20 games tops) for $50. I didn't feel so bad about missing it after that and it should make you feel better about your score too :)

Well, it's been a very long while since I last posted on what I bought at a sale (or something similar) and I doubt anyone would remember the finds I had before these threads started but I'm planning on keeping this one so I might as well brag about it...

Top Loader NES with a Dogbone controller for $5 at a flea market. Talked him down from $10 so at that price, what else would you do?!? I cleaned the thing up and as the Top Loaders are known for, it worked faster than any other NES I've ever seen.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Totally agree, 2 systems or 13 games....either one of those would be a decent find at $10. But 2 systems and 13 games at $10 is a hella good find.[/quote]

I guess when it comes down to it, I compare all deals to this one I got, ironically, about 3 blocks from the aforementioned sale.

From the 2005 Yard Sale Thread:

Ive posted to this before (if you remember the Panzer Saga $2) and by no means can match evilmax's ridiculous (long time fan, great finds my friend)....I hit about 15 garage sales before I had to work at 12:30. The first one showed promise, as I got a Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark and PacMan board games for a buck. The next 13 sucked, as the closest I found to a video game was Sonic the Hedgehog, not for resale and a PS1 for 10 bucks. The last garage sale, and utimately the one that was to make me late was the one Ive been looking for all summer. For $20 I got:

Atari XE system, with printer
32X brand new, boxed
Super Nintendo, Non yellowed, 2 controllers
5 NES systems, with about 10 controllers
Atari 2600, complete.

About 40 NES games....When I get to them, Ill bring you more details.
About 10 SNES games, all boxed complete, in particular, Zelda, SFII and SFII Turbo, and Final Fight 2.

Awesome day, awesome sales. About friggin time.

Sweet persistence paid off for you bro. Good job.

I've only been late to work twice this year, once cause of a decent yard sale...heh.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']I guess when it comes down to it, I compare all deals to this one I got, ironically, about 3 blocks from the aforementioned sale.

From the 2005 Yard Sale Thread:

Ive posted to this before (if you remember the Panzer Saga $2) and by no means can match evilmax's ridiculous (long time fan, great finds my friend)....I hit about 15 garage sales before I had to work at 12:30. The first one showed promise, as I got a Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark and PacMan board games for a buck. The next 13 sucked, as the closest I found to a video game was Sonic the Hedgehog, not for resale and a PS1 for 10 bucks. The last garage sale, and utimately the one that was to make me late was the one Ive been looking for all summer. For $20 I got:

Atari XE system, with printer
32X brand new, boxed
Super Nintendo, Non yellowed, 2 controllers
5 NES systems, with about 10 controllers
Atari 2600, complete.

About 40 NES games....When I get to them, Ill bring you more details.
About 10 SNES games, all boxed complete, in particular, Zelda, SFII and SFII Turbo, and Final Fight 2.

Awesome day, awesome sales. About friggin time.
Online[/QUOTE]

I would of paid $10 on that anytime - a great deal IMO. Best part is you knocked $15 off the IAP (initial asking price)

*starts list of yardsale thread acronyms*
CIF - cash in face
IAP - initial asking price

MSI to answer your question from earlier. Most of my finds come from unadvertised sales. I usually plan a route of advertised sales for my general area because I'm familiar with it, I don't have to mapquest. Then I have several different routes through the surrounding towns that I switch up on a weekly basis that I take looking for unadvertised sales. These routes are sometimes determined by any eye catching advertised sales that may be on them. The primary roads in my area always have signs with arrows and what not pointing to the sales which mostly lie on secondary roads. If there are multiple advertised sales for multifamily YS's and or block sales then I'll mapquest those and hit them up first. Generally I'm very quick at most sales, in and out usually leaving my car running. I've gotten very methodical and in most cases spend less then 5 minutes at a sale unless I find something to purchase. I usually average between 20 -30 sales (a little less as of late) and I would say on average that 1 out of every 8 of them have some kind of gaming related items.

2 N64 consoles (1 w/ RAM expansion, 1 regular, 1 full set of hookups)
2 1st party controllers
1 3rd party controller
1 Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64 gold cart, cart only)
1 Mario Kart 64 (N64, cart only)
1 Perfect Dark (N64, cart only)
1 Goldeneye (N64, cart only)
1 Star Wars Rogue Squadron (N64, cart only)
1 Radio Shack universal A/V cable
Paid: $5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unexpected craigslist pickup. Mainly got it for Goldeneye, as we've yet to acquire it. $20 IAP, offered $5. Quick and easy transaction.

[quote name='doctordoom1974']Hey Snot, I was just wondering; is your avatar from that old NES game Clash at Demonhead?[/QUOTE]

Yes it is. One of my favorite NES games. Now can anyone guess what NES game the phrase "You are greedy go to the torture room" that I use under my sig comes from?

I don't know if it's good or not but today I picked up...

Final Fantasy IX for PS1 for 6.99 from goodwill. Perfect condition too.
Also after I had given up and headed home I saw a yard sale and snagged a Sega Saturn with Sonic 3D Blast, Virtua Fighter 2, and Virtua Cop plus a controller, and the power cord for 15 dollars.

I know the symphony of the night I got last week from craigslist for 10 bucks was good.

A month or two ago I snagged Ready 2 Rumble Boxing and Excitebike 64 out of an apartment building where I work at in a unit where the people had abandoned some stuff.

Anyway it's nice to be here. This is my first post.

[quote name='MF Dagger']I don't know if it's good or not but today I picked up...

Also after I had given up and headed home I saw a yard sale and snagged a Sega Saturn with Sonic 3D Blast, Virtua Fighter 2, and Virtua Cop plus a controller, and the power cord for 15 dollars.

I know the symphony of the night I got last week from craigslist for 10 bucks was good.

A month or two ago I snagged Ready 2 Rumble Boxing and Excitebike 64 out of an apartment building where I work at in a unit where the people had abandoned some stuff.

Anyway it's nice to be here. This is my first post.[/QUOTE]

FFIX for $7 isnt bad, not great but deffintly not bad. Saturn with games is the same. SotN was deffintly a kick ass deal.

Anyways welcome to the site! Just stay out of the Ann Arbor area! THats my stomping grounds ;)

[quote name='MF Dagger']I don't know if it's good or not but today I picked up...

Anyway it's nice to be here. This is my first post.[/quote]

Welcome, and anytime you get SOTN for under $20 is probably a good deal, unless someone has been using the disc as a coaster.

[quote name='soccerstud652']I just got Advance Wars DS and MR Driller for $31...good deal?[/QUOTE]

Decent but deffintly not good. Advance Wars goes for $3-$30 and Mr Driller is $7-$12

[quote name='snotknocker']Yes it is. One of my favorite NES games. Now can anyone guess what NES game the phrase "You are greedy go to the torture room" that I use under my sig comes from?[/quote]
Its from Mighty Bomb Jack. That message appears after you collect 10 magic coins in a secret room.

I need to play that game again.

Also in response to Lassic's post I am glad that I was able to get SOTN for $1 at my first venture into yard sailing.

Not a yardsale find, but I did find a box for a N64 on the curb with someone's trash. I picked that up since I only have one of those eb boxes. I also found on someone's curb a pentium II computer. I'll clean that one up and see if I can sell $10 or $20. Clean it, put on linux, and you have an okay machine for some grandma to check her email.

[quote name='doctordoom1974']Its from Mighty Bomb Jack. That message appears after you collect 10 magic coins in a secret room.

I need to play that game again.

Also in response to Lassic's post I am glad that I was able to get SOTN for $1 at my first venture into yard sailing.[/QUOTE]

God I loved mighty bomb jack!

[quote name='doctordoom1974']Its from Mighty Bomb Jack. That message appears after you collect 10 magic coins in a secret room.

[/QUOTE]

Nice! I'm impressed.

[/QUOTE]

Nice! I'm impressed.

Today I went ysing (I know, weird, on a Sunday?) and I managed an Atari 2600 w/ hookups, two joysticks, paddle controllers, and 15 games for $22. I know, not the greatest find, but I wasn't really having any luck and I was about to quit ysing.

Then I managed to find a kid with an SNES, N64, and PSX all for $20 each with assorted games. They were pretty much all sports games, so I offered the kid $2 for Zelda: ALTTP and he took it.

So, not bad. It encourages me to go again next weekend I guess.

[quote name='snotknocker']Nice! I'm impressed.[/quote]

I just had an idea. I propose we create a video game trivia thread. I don't know which board it should go in though...

about the only system/games i see consistently, week after week is the Atari 2600. i used to pick them up, since the games are usually 10c or 25c, but i gave up after a while. you can only purchase so many copies of Yars Revenge, ya know?

i've got my glassies peeled for any rare 2600 carts, but thus far, i've found none.

[quote name='allyourblood']about the only system/games i see consistently, week after week is the Atari 2600. i used to pick them up, since the games are usually 10c or 25c, but i gave up after a while. you can only purchase so many copies of Yars Revenge, ya know?

i've got my glassies peeled for any rare 2600 carts, but thus far, i've found none.[/QUOTE]
over by me in NJ, the bulk of what I see is NES stuff and Genesis. For some reason many people I've spoke to tend to think Atari is the rarest and most valuble of all.

Forgot to mention in my $12 Gamecube post that my dad found an electric guitar with amp for $5 for my nephew. At that same sale, I regrettably had to pass on a PS2 with 2 controllers, a nyko memory card, and 6 games including RE4 and Smackdown Vs. Raw 06 all for $70. Probably could have had it all for $50, but all I wanted was RE4 and Smackdown.
About all I find are sports games. Some guy even wanted $10 for PS2 NFL 2K3 a couple weeks ago.

Well speaking of atari iv got a chance to potentially buy a bunch of atari stuff. I thought it was not valuable per see but no less so atleast then the NES stuff. However looking on ebay im seeing values all over the freaking place(especially for the Atari 400).

So can you guys help me out by telling me.
1. What are some of the rare carts.
2. What is the most you should spend for the three different models of the atari.

I got a response to my post looking for video games at a local trade site and got a response for an atari 400, 2600 and 7800 as well as the following games.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Combat
Frogger
Mario Bros
Missile Command
Donkey Kong Junior
Defender
Spider Man
Jungle Hunt
Kangaroo
Joust
Stargate
Moon Patrol
Space Invaders
Skate Boardin'
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Maze Craze
Super Break-Out
Venture
Centipede
Pitfall
Keystone Kapers
Mountain King
Dig Dug
Pole Position II
Donkey Kong

7800 Titles:
Fight Night
Asteroids
Xevious
Dark Chambers
Joust
Ms. Pac Man
Galaga
Food Fight

I tossed an offer of $8 out just to see if the guy bites but if he doesnt I have no clue if this is something I should actually go up to like $30 on...or if its cheap garage sale crap.

If you have a desire to actually play any of those games then I would say do'nt spend more then $20-$25. If it's just for collectibility I would wait till you come across similar on the very cheap at a YS. if you can nab it for $10 - $15 I would go for it.

[quote name='snotknocker']If you have a desire to actually play any of those games then I would say do'nt spend more then $20-$25. If it's just for collectibility I would wait till you come across similar on the very cheap at a YS. if you can nab it for $10 - $15 I would go for it.[/QUOTE]

Ya I was thinking no more then $18, but I didnt know if any of those carts were rare....and the Atari 400 on ebay was going for random prices with a few pretty high up.

[quote name='darbygill']Im new here and was wondering what you guys do with all this stuff your getting at Garage/Yard Sales every week?[/QUOTE]

I build my collection and recently I started to resell some stuff.

[quote name='darbygill']Im new here and was wondering what you guys do with all this stuff your getting at Garage/Yard Sales every week?[/QUOTE]

Personaly, I havnt found alot...and have the feeling my fiancee will tire of going to garage sales before tooo long. But, as a whole im trying to build my collection and get a few back ups. After I have a system or two of each ill start ebaying duplicates or letting them go to CAGers a bit under cost.

[quote name='MSI Magus']FFIX for $7 isnt bad, not great but deffintly not bad. Saturn with games is the same. SotN was deffintly a kick ass deal.

Anyways welcome to the site! Just stay out of the Ann Arbor area! THats my stomping grounds ;)[/quote]

I'm nowhere near ann arbor. No problems there. I usually look in the ghetto anyway. Cheap as dirt at thrift stores. Pawn shops in the ghetto are incredibly high priced though.

my.php

PSX games - $3 each
Adam Sandler cd - $1
Jagermeister lanyard - free
SNES games - $10
White Dwarf mags - free
Sports cards - $2 (because there was a Darryl Strawberry card! Silly New Yorkers)

Got some stuff today:

Tales of Eternia (PSP) - $54 after tax
Thank goodness my Fry's has import PSP games

Mario Kart Double Dash bonus disc - Free

Gamecube controller - Free
Some lady came in with it, turns out her bird pecked the shit out of the thumbstick and c-stick. The controller works just fine. It's an easy fix.

Legend of Zelda Animated Series - $5
"Well Excccuuuuussseeeee me Princess!"

Pretty much all of this stuff is going into my collection, eventually I think I'll be probably selling a few things here and there. I might help my friends pick up some stuff they need but not too many of them are into collecting the old stuff.

Just scored a Super Nintendo still in Box with Bart's Nightmare, Mario and Jeopardy off Craigslist for $15! Thinking that ill give this one to my little Brother though since he has been wanting a new console for awhile. The box I shall keep for myself though ;)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Just scored a Super Nintendo still in Box with Bart's Nightmare, Mario and Jeopardy off Craigslist for $15! Thinking that ill give this one to my little Brother though since he has been wanting a new console for awhile. The box I shall keep for myself though ;)[/QUOTE]

Good going Mr. No Luck. I hate you ;) :rofl:

How do you guys find these craigslist scores, what sections are you going into? I check out Electronics, and all I see are unlocked cell phones, and ridiculous prices on ps2 / xbox stuff.

I even put up my own ad about buying old games, and all I got was shitty Xbox deals.

I got a reply to my Craigslist want ad. A Super Nintendo, with Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, DKC 1, and DKC 2, all for $20. Should I get it? I have Mario World and DKC 1 already, and I really want the other two pretty badly. Is it worth it to get it all and resell the ones I have?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I got a reply to my Craigslist want ad. A Super Nintendo, with Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, DKC 1, and DKC 2, all for $20. Should I get it? I have Mario World and DKC 1 already, and I really want the other two pretty badly. Is it worth it to get it all and resell the ones I have?[/QUOTE]

I would offer them $10 and if they say no then say something like I guess I can do $15 but $20 is too much. $20 you could still resell it at a profit if your looking to...but not much of one.

bread's done
Back