Official Mario Strikers Charged! Discussion and FCs

[quote name='botticus']It has weekly/daily/friend leaderboards. triforcing (I think) has 409 points just today. And I believe those are points scored only in ranked (random?) matches.

After I finish the Fire Cup, I'm gonna have a go at a ranked match. See how badly I get beaten. :D[/QUOTE]

I never realized something.. if that's the guys name "triforcing"..what name does it use? A name we create OR the name that's on our Wii..??

[quote name='lilboo']I never realized something.. if that's the guys name "triforcing"..what name does it use? A name we create OR the name that's on our Wii..??[/quote]The name of your Mii (you have a friend code for each Mii, if you choose to use more than one). I had to change mine from Brian to botticus to make it easier.

I would say it was Triforce Johnson, but I don't think the Mii was black, so probably not.

[quote name='botticus']The name of your Mii (you have a friend code for each Mii, if you choose to use more than one). I had to change mine from Brian to botticus to make it easier.

I would say it was Triforce Johnson, but I don't think the Mii was black, so probably not.[/QUOTE]

Ohh that's right! This game was each Mii = specific friend code.

I know you (Botticus) haven't played online in a ranked match (right?), but to anyone that knows..can you add that random person to your friends list if you enjoyed playing with them?

I have a feeling I'm going to be a CAG favorite to play against... I suck. :D

Just snuck by in the Fire Cup finals, winning 2 of 3.

And Triforce is 34-9 today. Second place is 27-19. Damn these people get to play a lot.

And my first ranked match is against Mr. Bean. :lol:

Impressions:

I had a 3-star connection, and there was definitely some lag. It was playable, and I'm not sure if it was better or worse for the other guy, but it made you more preemptive than reactive. :D I got 10 points for the win, and 5 points for my goals. I'm guessing that second set of points is the differential (I won 5-0). Lost connection in the second game, not sure if he disconnected or if it just dropped. No point penalty for me.

And in a 4-star connection match with zero lag, I got absolutely crushed, 1-0 and 2-0. I think it'll be a while before I can compete with all these obnoxiously heavy-hitters. Hits were something like 24-3. :roll: You get a point for losing a match, basically participation points.

Gah....No Charged for me tonight. The only WalMart on my way home wasn't cooperating. I'll bet they had it, too. The guy at first looked like he didn't know what I was talking about and then, once I made myself clear, looked like he didn't care.

[quote name='mr ryles']I guess I'm gonna have to go check wal mart.[/QUOTE]

You're getting this too? Hmmm I really should pick it up. It looks fun.

Full price at Walmart for me. I played one game with my wife winning best 2 of 3 vs computer, then I tried to go online solo. I got beaten badly. I had a 3 star connection and there was slight lag but not terrible.

I played through the fire cup with a few games crushing the computer 25-1 and 23-2. I haven't tried online since the cup. I did see some high ranked players already though. Is this region based or worldwide?

Does anybody know how this stacks up to Sega Soccer Slam? I loved SSS, and I know it's made by the same team, but I'm wondering how they compare.

Just got my call from Aeris - told to pick it up before noon tomorrow from GS... Yipee! Probably, though, I won't get it until late afternoon and then take the kids right to the Simpsons movie. So I won't be playing till late Tues night and probably not ready for online till Weds. I'll look forward to playing some CAGs then though!

Whoops, friend code in my sig is fixed. 1 instead of a 0 at the front. I'm soooo stupid. 163315 348688

Anyone on that wants to play?

[quote name='daroga']Whoops, friend code in my sig is fixed. 1 instead of a 0 at the front. I'm soooo stupid. 163315 348688

Anyone on that wants to play?[/quote]I dunno... you're apparently better than me. I see on you on the daily rankings... if I just lose two more games, I'm gonna be beating you, though.

I wish they had an option for "rival" type matches. I strangely have a 3-7 record when most of the people I've played are something like 10 games over .500. The only people with worse records than me had bad connections, so I only got one win off them.

You wanna play botticus? What's your FC?

Just played a match that was really, really lagged. That sucked. I'm ranked #93!

[quote name='daroga']You wanna play botticus? What's your FC?

Just played a match that was really, really lagged. That sucked. I'm ranked #93![/quote]Tis in the OP.

And I once again get swept, if I lose 0-2 to daroga, I think I'm going to erase my FC and just play single player. :p I was up 3-2 with 30 seconds left and ended up losing 4-3 in sudden death.

Good games! You're better than anyone else I've played!

If it wasn't for that cheap-as-hell fast megastrike, it would've been an interesting game 3.

[quote name='daroga']Good games! You're better than anyone else I've played!

If it wasn't for that cheap-as-hell fast megastrike, it would've been an interesting game 3.[/quote]Haha, yeah, if you get a megastrike in the red, I don't think it's stoppable. I had my hands on each of the 5 that went in, apparently you have to click immediately.

Thanks for having pity on me and letting me grab a game.

[quote name='io']Just got my call from Aeris - told to pick it up before noon tomorrow from GS... Yipee! Probably, though, I won't get it until late afternoon and then take the kids right to the Simpsons movie. So I won't be playing till late Tues night and probably not ready for online till Weds. I'll look forward to playing some CAGs then though![/QUOTE]

So this is my first purchase with GS/EB (aside from the trade 2 get 1 free for this game) and I just got my call from Aeries...it was akward...who is she:cry:

[quote name='botticus']Thanks for having pity on me and letting me grab a game.[/quote]You won that fair and square man. I didn't want it to be discouring for you so I was going to lay back if you were getting crushed. I never got to even try that. You had be pinned down most of that match.

[quote name='CombatCraig']So this is my first purchase with GS/EB (aside from the trade 2 get 1 free for this game) and I just got my call from Aeries...it was akward...who is she:cry:[/QUOTE]

Well, from FF VII, I think, right? I only know her from Kingdom Hearts.

However, my wife had a funny observation. The Aeris that used to call had a much sexier voice. Now they have some "old woman" doing it. Note these were my WIFE'S observations, not mine ;).

----------------

Back to the game: Yikes, a perfect 5/5 from GamePro:

http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/reviews/125890.shtml

Otherwise, on Metacritic, it ranges from 60-100.

Crap, I just thought of something. Strikers (if it is anything like the GC version) is one of the all time greatest 4-player local multiplayer games, and one of the few my daughter would play with us (giving us 4 players along with me and the boys). I suppose this means I'll have to get 2 more nunchuks :lol:. I had 4 Wiimotes in anticipation of Mario Party 8 but have never used the fourth (as my daughter refused to play that :cry:). But now I'll need to get one more nunchuk for sure, and probably two. I better get that third one, anyway, when I'm out getting the game. Guess I'll stop into Gamecrazy on the way to Gamestop. At least they (nunchuks) are easy to find now.

Wow. I mean, I love the game, but it's not a 5/5. I'd probably give it a mid to high 80s score, maybe just 90, but not a 100. Not even close. But maybe if soccer and Mario are both your two passions in life?

Anyone that's played online, have you ever gotten to be the home team? I'm always the visitor and was wondering if maybe on your end you're always the visitor for some reason. Likewise, have you ever ended a match and been able to play again? I just wondered if people were just wanting to play other people or if you really can't continue playing with a randomly matched person.

I think I may ask for this for my birthday, it's looking better than the Bigs, even though I like baseball more than soccer.

Dunno, the Bigs is still pretty fun, and is honestly the only baseball game I've enjoyed since Triple Play 2000 (or 2003?) on the PC. :D

Picking up Strikers this week. Definitely. FC pending.

[quote name='daroga']Wow. I mean, I love the game, but it's not a 5/5. I'd probably give it a mid to high 80s score, maybe just 90, but not a 100. Not even close. But maybe if soccer and Mario are both your two passions in life?

Anyone that's played online, have you ever gotten to be the home team? I'm always the visitor and was wondering if maybe on your end you're always the visitor for some reason. Likewise, have you ever ended a match and been able to play again? I just wondered if people were just wanting to play other people or if you really can't continue playing with a randomly matched person.[/quote]I am thinking that home/away is determined by record. Your 6-1 record was probably best in your matches, so you were always away. My 3-9, not so hot, so I tended to be home, other than one or two matches. Not sure if that gives you any advantage (doubt it) or if that's really the case, but it seems to be.

Since you're playing ranked matches, they don't let you keep playing the same person. You'd be able to pretty easily pad your record if you suckered some crappy opponent into playing multiple matches.

Game definitely isn't a perfect 10 (or 5, whatever), as I have a few gripes - random AI intelligence, lack of a few online modes to really be robust (rivals and unranked, primarily) - but it's still awesome.

[quote name='botticus']I am thinking that home/away is determined by record. Your 6-1 record was probably best in your matches, so you were always away. My 3-9, not so hot, so I tended to be home, other than one or two matches.

Since you're playing ranked matches, they don't let you keep playing the same person. You'd be able to pretty easily pad your record if you suckered some crappy opponent into playing multiple matches.[/QUOTE]

Is the home/away that much of an advantage?

[quote name='botticus']I am thinking that home/away is determined by record. Your 6-1 record was probably best in your matches, so you were always away. My 3-9, not so hot, so I tended to be home, other than one or two matches. Not sure if that gives you any advantage (doubt it) or if that's really the case, but it seems to be.

Since you're playing ranked matches, they don't let you keep playing the same person. You'd be able to pretty easily pad your record if you suckered some crappy opponent into playing multiple matches.

Game definitely isn't a perfect 10 (or 5, whatever), as I have a few gripes with the game - random AI intelligence, lack of a few online modes to really be robust (rivals and unranked, primarily) - but it's still awesome.[/quote]

I thought I read that the home/away thing is determined by the first person who selects it. So if you are fast enough, you can be home everytime.

Can't wait to grab this at lunch today.

[quote name='botticus']You missed my edit, but I kinda doubt there's any advantage to either. But the home team gets a kick ass captain arrival. :D[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, cool.

Has anyone here played the original game here? I want to know if the improvements are huge over the original game (not counting online gameplay).

Either way I should have this Thursday if everything goes as planned, can't wait to play it.

I didn't play the original game a ton, but some of the biggest/best improvements over the original are your team members.

1) You can choose all three of them (the original let you choose a sidekick, who became all three members) - now I can have a Boo, Hammer Bro, and Dry Bones.

2) They all have a unique skill shot, which arguably makes them better players than your captain.

I think the captain's special move is new as well (Luigi and Mario grow, DK smacks the ground, knocking defenders over), but I can't recall for sure.

I'll give you a full impression on the difference between the two when I get the game. I played the crap out of the gamecube one

[quote name='lordwow']I think I may ask for this for my birthday, it's looking better than the Bigs, even though I like baseball more than soccer.[/quote]

When's your birthday? Mine's tomorrow (Aug. 1).

Wowowwowowowowow did I just get trounced not only online but in the second level up the cup matches.

I think I need to figure out more technique than just wildly running after people and smashing them, although that's all the guy online was doing and just killed me. But he also was getting those timed slo-mo shots down which I've yet to figure out.

[quote name='daroga']Wowowwowowowowow did I just get trounced not only online but in the second level up the cup matches.

I think I need to figure out more technique than just wildly running after people and smashing them, although that's all the guy online was doing and just killed me. But he also was getting those timed slo-mo shots down which I've yet to figure out.[/quote]Yeah, I haven't yet figured out the one-timers and slow-mo hits. Must be some way to time those appropriately. I was able to get one-time shots really easy in the Cube game, if I recall correctly, not sure what's changed.

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, I haven't yet figured out the one-timers and slow-mo hits. Must be some way to time those appropriately. I was able to get one-time shots really easy in the Cube game, if I recall correctly, not sure what's changed.[/quote]

Not sure about the slo-mos, but one timers are done by passing and holding down the B button before the ball gets to the player.

[quote name='lebowsky']Not sure about the slo-mos, but one timers are done by passing and holding down the B button before the ball gets to the player.[/quote]Holding it down, eh? That's probably the mistake. I just kept tapping it, trying to luck into the right timing.

Had to go to three stores on my lunchbreak, but finally found copies at TRU. Not sure if I'll have the courage to go online tonight, but I'll certainly post my FC.

EDIT: Crap...One of the stores I went to was CC. I saw neither this nor Picross on the shelves and it was close to 2:00. It's possible they had them in back, but I could have had two $20 gift cards.

I might head over to CC today and see if I could luck out and get one of those gift cards. I kinda loss some excitement for this but I know once I get it, it'll be keeping me up a bit later than usual.

bread's done
Back