Old School Deal at GameCrazy- 3 for $15, ALL classic games 4/28-End of May

V

Virtua

We got this memo today, apparently starting thursday (the 28th) ALL our used Product that is older than current generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube, GBA, DS, PSP) Will be 3 for $15. Now I was pretty floored by this, considering gamecrazy doesn't ever do stuff like this. But I read the memo over several times and it mentioned no maximum price for the discount to take place, or any limitations. (although, most stores won't let you use the MVP discount on top of this deal)

It sounds as if you will simply be able to buy any 3 old generation games for $5 each, starting friday.

Now, I've got my hopes up for grabbing the Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Chronicles, and Vagrant Story we have priced at $29.99 each for a measly $15, but I'm sure there's some catch which wasn't made entirely clear in the memo.

But if it's true.. I am gonna be buying so many PSOne games..

I'll try to keep you guys posted on this, cause if your GameCrazys have any rare/pricier old generation stuff you've been wanting, this could be a great deal.

Eh, I'm nervous. I'm sick of missing out on great deals, and getting beaten to the stuff I really want... My girlfriend and I will be there when it opens. And then, I'll dart down to the OTHER GC to get more stuff, if they have anything good. Eh, here's hoping for a nice haul, considering I've about $150 for this, should I need it.

[quote name='Pylis']Eh, I'm nervous. I'm sick of missing out on great deals, and getting beaten to the stuff I really want... My girlfriend and I will be there when it opens. And then, I'll dart down to the OTHER GC to get more stuff, if they have anything good. Eh, here's hoping for a nice haul, considering I've about $150 for this, should I need it.[/QUOTE]

If you were a true CAG'er, you'd hand her a list, slap her on the ass and wish her luck while she hunts at one and you hunt at the other :D

My List(went there tonight and wrote them down) is as follows Bomberman 2 for SNES, Sonic Adventure for DCx2, Tetris for N64, Golden Nugget for N64, RPG Maker for PSx2, Darkstalkers 3 for PS, Tetris/Dr Mario for SNES, Donkey Kong Country 2 for SNES, Donkey King Country 3 for SNES, Smash Brothers for N64, Paper Mario for N64x3, Kirby 64 for N64x2, Front Mission 3 for PS, Intelligent Cube for PS, Point Blank 3 for PS, Silent Bomber for PS, and Tomba for PS. So $110 for about $500 in games, can't beat that exp with all the PS games complete.

Is Thousand Arms any good? we've got that one too, but some reviews said it was boring and had a rediculously high random encounter rate.

[quote name='jer7583']Is Thousand Arms any good? we've got that one too, but some reviews said it was boring and had a rediculously high random encounter rate.[/QUOTE]
It's alright. For five bucks it is totally worth it. The dating stuff is neat even though it doesn't really have any actual effect on the outcome from what I remember. The soundtrack is pretty nice too.

The closest, and only GC near here according to the site, is half an hour away according to the maps but it's of course on the route of some of the heaviest traffic around here so it'd probably really take an hour plus. Argh. We have so many damned Hollywood Videos yet no GCs less than twenty miles away. There's no way I could make it there and back before work. :cry:

i love how employees are trying to pile on mvp's which has nothing to do with this sale. lol. i guess thats why i get yelled at for not selling any.

Ok, I went to 2 GC's yesterday and they both told me the sale starts Friday. One may not have known what he was talking about. The other guy, who has been friendly in the past, had the e-mail or memo that he got and looked right at it when it told me that it was to start Friday. He also mentioned that it was discussed in a morning conference call. I wasn't an ass or anything so I didn't question it, or bring up Thursday, or ask to see the memo. So know I'm not sure what to do. Do I go back to the store this morning and say, "Hey is that sale that you said (yesterday) starts Friday, really starting today?" Or do I just wait until Friday? I wish the stores around me would get a clue. I'd think he was clueless, but he was reading it off some e-mail/flyer notification.

So how do I handle this situation and press that I know the sale should start today, without sounding like an ass, and without making him feel stupid. Would he have received another e-mail or more notification after 5PM yesterday? I'm not sure if he was a manager or just an employee, but he's definately in control at that store and knows more about issues than anyone else.

[quote name='darkje']Wow, that's totally innapropriate for any employee to take an item that's on hold for you.

I've had that happen before and I was furious, why would you take something reserved for a customer for yourself if you work somewhere?

I don't and won't take that kind of treatment, ask for a manager and get the item you took the time to reserve.[/QUOTE]

Why is that completely inappropriate?
If you had money down, I'd agree with you.
A "hold" is not a "reserve". Reserves imply that cash has changed hands and that a legally binding contract now exists.
Clerks are under no binding contract or agreement with you to hold ANY software, and as soon as thier shift ends, any sway they had over keeping those games "held" for you is gone. They can tell the other clerk that they are holding games for someone, but the new clerk is not bound to adhere to that, and more often than not, most store have policies that state that IF they even do holds, they usually only last until the end of the shift of the clerk holding the product, or the end of the day.

I don't really understand where this MAJOR sense of entitlement that a great number of people have is coming from.
It's nice that stores do holds. It's great from a customer service point of view.
But they don't have to.

[quote name='jer7583']Don't blame me, I just let you guys know about it. I COULD have ignored it and tried to keep all the goodies to myself, but CAG is the best online community ive been involved in.

If you don't get stuff its cause of grubby GC employees or because some store decided they would hold everything in the store for people. Our store isn't holding anything. ANYTHING. im gonna be there at open on thursday. Gotta get Ogre Battle, Vagrant Story, Mr Driller, and that Ergheiz for somone on this board.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, jer7583.
Thank you for telling all of us about this sale.
I'm likely to not get much just for the simple fact that I already own most of the games people are fretting and pacing over getting, but I may end up getting a few titles if I turn up some stuff that I don't have.

This entire sale will be highly YMMV because it's contingent on a store's stock, but so long as someone doesn't go in with thier hopes completely out of wack, there are some great games to be had... and at 5 dollars, even some games that people would normally ignore might even get some more notice.

Again, thank you for pointing out this sale.
Hopefully there will be at least a few happy CAGs at the end of the day, and not a glut of people crying about "what could have been".

Well I'll be heading out to check a GC or two at lunch time and my expectations are completely out of whack. Dissapointment here I come! (Actually I'd be thrilled to find Super Smash Bros and a Mario Party or two for my N64, fingers crossed.)

Ill probably head out in a few hours to check it out. Also, like someone just asked, anyone know if you can you get one for $5.00 instead?

[quote name='wubb']Well I'll be heading out to check a GC or two at lunch time and my expectations are completely out of whack. Dissapointment here I come! (Actually I'd be thrilled to find Super Smash Bros and a Mario Party or two for my N64, fingers crossed.)[/QUOTE]

Hey, disappoinment is cool, so long as you don't whine about it. ;)

No, the sale is 3 for 15, not one for 5. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if some people could persuade getting just 1 for 5. But that would be very YMMV.

[quote name='Satoshi-kun']So... does the three for $15 only apply once?[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, there's going to be a ton of disappointed people :lol:
More likely than not, however, they'll probably allow it multiple times...

I believe the OP mentioned that the memo included instructions for ringing this up multiple times. So it looks like you'll be able to get 3,6,9,12,etc games. Won't know until you try though.

I really hope that the trading aspect would work around here.

I wouldn't mind a copy of Mario Tennis. I never had a chance to pick that up for the N64.

I'm going to have to print out that list that was compiled to see what titles would be in demand.

[quote name='ramprider0']Do you have to buy 3 to get them for 5.00$ a piece or can you buy just one and get it for 5.00$?[/QUOTE]

It's 3 for $15. I asked this question to an employee and he confirmed that.

I might come back with multiple copies of stuff. My initial run will be my 9 that are on hold, but i'll be getting more money this afternoon and will probably go back.

[quote name='Scorch']It's 3 for $15. I asked this question to an employee and he confirmed that.[/QUOTE]
Damn that sucks!

Showering now, leaving in 15.. hope the MVP can knock off some of the tax, otherwise i'll end up with two pennies in change! Hopefully none of the jerk employees, specifically the girl, messed with my 9 games on reserve!

Hah, we sound like a bunch of field agents.

1st report, whoo. Not a huge selection, but some good/great games mixed in here and there. Not many NES, SNES, or PS1 games.

Picked up only 6 games, 1/2 for my friend Dan.

Got Me:
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario

Mario Kart 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Zelda Majora's Mask

And my trade pick was Secret of Mana because I could. Love that game.

Edit: Price before discounted: $185, after, $30.
Also the employee told me there was a problem that the system would do 3 for $15 then 6 for $40, but he had no problem overriding.

[quote name='Doylerulez']1st report, whoo. Not a huge selection, but some good/great games mixed in here and there. Not many NES, SNES, or PS1 games.

Picked up only 6 games, 1/2 for my friend Dan.

Got Me:
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario

Mario Kart 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Zelda Majora's Mask

And my trade pick was Secret of Mana because I could. Love that game.

Edit: Price before discounted: $185, after, $30.
Also the employee told me there was a problem that the system would do 3 for $15 then 6 for $40, but he had no problem overriding.[/QUOTE]

So, did you find out if an MVP Membership is required or not? Just curious (since I don't have one). ;)

[quote name='Zincdust']So, did you find out if an MVP Membership is required or not? Just curious (since I don't have one). ;)[/QUOTE]
Not required.

They were just putting up the signs/strips as I got there.

Edit: more info since the employee was very helpful. It applies to in stock items only and runs till May 22nd he thinks. So you can't special order a game and then have them discount it. Normally you can order any game for $6.00 shipping and they'll track it down at any of their stores nationwide and then you'd pay the price when they get it or give you your money back if they don't.

Ok so here's what I picked up. Let me know if I made any mistakes....

PS1 (100% complete)
Gauntlet legends
Parasite Eve
Romance of the 3 Kingdoms IV
MegaMan 8
FF Tactics
RE: Survivor

PS1 (Disk Only)
Panzer Front
Tomba
Tomba 2
No one can stop Mr. Domino

N64 (cart only)
Paper Mario
Megaman 64

SNES (cart only)
Prince of Persia 2
Lufia II
Castlevania IV

Dreamcast (100% complete)
Time Stalkers
Gauntlet Legends

Saturn (100% complete)
Sonic 3D Blast

This is what I didn't buy. All disk only PS1. Should I go back?
Castlevania symphony of the night
Alunda 2
Breath of fire III

And oh by the way there was a sealed Breth of fire IV, and a sealed Gaunlet Legends both PS1 which he tried to ring up but wouldn't since they were sealed. Is this true? Are sealed PS1 not part of the sale?

Just got back -- my guy said they got a memo postponing the sale until May 1. Which sucks a lot, as I don't want to have to drive back into town on a Sunday.

Store had no signage when I got there but I asked and they said it starts today through mid-May. I bought:

N64
Starcraft
Paper Mario
Mario 64

SNES
Star Wars
Saturday Night Slamasters
Tetris 2
Zelda
Contra 3
Castlevania 4

Tons of N64 games. Not surprised they want to try to lower the stock on them.

Hey Sean.

You must have been the guy I saw in there when I got there.

Yeah. That sucked.

Did you notice all of the PSX games were on the shelf? I'm thinking he's just going to clean them out. He did mention being a "big fan of older games."

Like two CAGs passing in the night ....

I went to the shop yesterday and the games were on the shelf like that; apparently they're still getting shipments of games in. I just called back to see if he could hold any games for me until Monday, and he said no, so it's a question of whether I can think of an excuse to go into Madison that day for some SNES games I'm unlikely to play. (I live in Stoughton.) It may be that they intend on cleaning the place out -- notice that no one else has written in to say that they heard about this new May 1 start date. I guess we'll have to see.

I arrived an hour after they opened, and they were cleaned out of almost everything worth considering. The fellow there mentioned that four people were there as soon as they opened and they picked the place appart.

I still managed to find a few good items for N64 and PSone. What a pity.

I got there like 10:10 and some guy already was buying all the good stuff and 4 copies of paper mario, luckily he let me grab one

so i got:

the new tetris
paper mario
mario tennis
starfox 64
super mario 64
dr mario 64
crus'n usa
crus'n world
mario kart 64

thanks to OP

I'll be going to a GameCrazy in La Verne at about 12:10 p.m. or so. I guess I'll report my findings later. I'm having a friend go to a store in my hometown to buy some games too.

Whoop-ee.

As for the person that asked about getting Castlevania: Symphony of the Night... If you're a fan of video games in general, then there is no reason for you to not own that game. Meaning, get it. Now.

I am trying to decide if I am going go out to one when they open here in little over a hour. If I do...I can't make up my mind on which of the two near me to go to.

psunami/seanw- Are you guys talking about the west-side Madison store over by Woodmans? I was just about to head over there, but it sounds like I need to wait until 5/1.

Yep. That's the one.

I'm tending not to believe that employee at this point. When all of the other stores are selling them today.

ARGH!!!!! Why do I have to have a MIDTERM today?!?

I'm gonna fly over to Gamecrazy afterwards, but that'll be at like 1:30 at the very earliest so I'm sure I won't find anything......

Maybe if I study a little more now and head out at like 11:30 I can make it back in time for my test....decisions, decisions.....

Too much competition in Madtown. Ah well such is life can't catch every deal.

That is a cool sale idea though. Cool enough to garner 20 pages of replies here at least.

well i dont get to go now =/ im all dissapointed..i wake up at 8:30 and both cars are gone.
I guess my dad took one and is off to home depot and one other place, the home depot is across the street from gamecrazy too. I just called him and he left 5 minutes before i woke up.
Guess ill have to go late and just hope.

bread's done
Back