PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

i was never trying to compare they are the same. For me ps plus is great for all the free games you get which makes it well worth it. then come live for the price tag is wealth worth it also allows me to have hours of entertainment all year long for a low price of 60 dollers but really who pays that much for it.

in my opinion both services are worth the price and must have if you have each companys system.

Really so Xbox Live lets you watch streaming services that you already pay for?

Funny that most hardware, or should I say all hardware outside of the 360, with those apps installed let you watch them without a yearly membership cost.

I'm a pretty neutral guy, bought the 360 first last gen and the PS4 first this Gen. Bottom line PS+ gives back better value in free games and Gold is a crap ton more stable and better established. It is really an apples and oranges argument and you have to decide which strength you value most.

Why do you have to downgrade the other console to make you feel better about yours? The competition is good because it drives both consoles to work hard and not rest on their laurels (Like EA getting the NFL license exclusively and madden being a damn joke since) This fanboy shit is exhausting. Can we all shut the F up and get back to talking about the console and what lays ahead for it?

Yeah, I know I was guilty a bit for contributing to this mess, but let's stop from here on out. It really is pointless.

Yeah, I know I was guilty a bit for contributing to this mess, but let's stop from here on out. It really is pointless.
ban timbo. ill donate $20 to childs play. hahaha

banning iamthecheapestgamer and mr. 420 was a step in the right direction. keep it going!

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed on my PS3 when i look at my friends list, there are a few that have special colored name plates. Like one was dark black, another dark purple. But on PS3 you dont have these options. The black on PS3 looked faded compared to the one that my friend had. I assume the PS4 has these darker colors. Is there any videos that show the different colors? I know, not really important, but im just curious what colors are there and how many. Would be a cool idea to do more than just colors, maybe patterns or special plates for games you played.
You can do it on the PS Vita. It carries over to the PS3(You just don't get the option to select them on PS3). PS4 doesn't offer colored plates.

You can do it on the PS Vita. It carries over to the PS3(You just don't get the option to select them on PS3). PS4 doesn't offer colored plates.
You can do it on your PS3 as well.

Just select your profile(like you're going to sync trophies), and if you press left on the d-pad it'll show a little color palate icon. Click it with the X button and it'll offer you a handful of color options.

Also, as the previous poster mentioned, on Vita there are patterned plates as well as game-themed ones - mine is currently set on a Gravity Rush theme.

You can do it on your PS3 as well.

Just select your profile(like you're going to sync trophies), and if you press left on the d-pad it'll show a little color palate icon. Click it with the X button and it'll offer you a handful of color options.

Also, as the previous poster mentioned, on Vita there are patterned plates as well as game-themed ones - mine is currently set on a Gravity Rush theme.
The 7th Number, was referring to special colored plates not available on PS3. I know that the PS3 have colored plates you can change, the PS Vita has some additional plates exclusive to the portable system that does carry over to the PS3. I was just explaining to him/her where those special colored plates come from.

The 7th Number, was referring to special colored plates not available on PS3. I know that the PS3 have colored plates you can change, the PS Vita has some additional plates exclusive to the portable system that does carry over to the PS3. I was just explaining to him/her where those special colored plates come from.
Ah, you're right - I totally misread part of that post.

Really so Xbox Live lets you watch streaming services that you already pay for?

Funny that most hardware, or should I say all hardware outside of the 360, with those apps installed let you watch them without a yearly membership cost.
who cares for me the fun and entertainment that live brings including playing online games with friends and using other eintertainment apps like espn and other stuff is worth price of live. Same can be said for ps plus i really don't put price tag on my main hobby and gaming with friends is worth every penny spend on ps plus and live.

I've had xboxlive for 12months for only $6 this past year and still going. Xboxlive had a $2 for two month promo I used 3 times until it was discontinued and I've been using free for silver for the last six months. PS+ I bought a few 12month cards on BF but I sold my PS4 before I ever activated one so I'm holding off til ps4 gets better exclusives to take the dive again.

In case anybody is looking for systems, my local Gamestops got shipments in on Tuesday. Yesterday, my local Targets and TRU's got them in.

PS4's are still a hot buy. My Gamestops and Targets were sold out as of the end of the day yesterday. TRU still has some. Best Buy is getting them in for next weeks ad. I'm really interested to see what the sales numbers become after Sony adequately stocks the store shelves.

In case anybody is looking for systems, my local Gamestops got shipments in on Tuesday. Yesterday, my local Targets and TRU's got them in.

PS4's are still a hot buy. My Gamestops and Targets were sold out as of the end of the day yesterday. TRU still has some. Best Buy is getting them in for next weeks ad. I'm really interested to see what the sales numbers become after Sony adequately stocks the store shelves.
This. I still see loads of ones collecting dust at my local target and bby, still have yet to see ps4 in the wild after one time right around BF when bby had quite a few in a cage at the front of the store.

I think the current lead ps4 has in total sales will grow a little more and remain pretty steady after that for a while. Only thing to help boost one sales is a sku without kinect or people going ape shit for titanfall.

This. I still see loads of ones collecting dust at my local target and bby, still have yet to see ps4 in the wild after one time right around BF when bby had quite a few in a cage at the front of the store.

I think the current lead ps4 has in total sales will grow a little more and remain pretty steady after that for a while. Only thing to help boost one sales is a sku without kinect or people going ape shit for titanfall.
you must hold stock in sony to care about sale numbers and how the other systems are doing. lets all just enjoy the games and stop caring how well systems do. both ps4 and x1 is not going anywhere fast which is good for all us gamers in the end.

people will go ape shit for destiny in sep also. Alot of games are coming out for each system that will inflate sale numbers like crazy.

What is coming out between Titanfall/Infamous & Destiny? I sure as hell hope there's a least a couple of big titles or that's gonna be a long 6 months. I mean nothing else really has a solid release date for next gen and it can't all be filled with quirky indy stuff for either console.

you must hold stock in sony to care about sale numbers and how the other systems are doing. lets all just enjoy the games and stop caring how well systems do. both ps4 and x1 is not going anywhere fast which is good for all us gamers in the end.

people will go ape shit for destiny in sep also. Alot of games are coming out for each system that will inflate sale numbers like crazy.
uh no. People aren't going to be paying $500 to buy an X1 so they can play Destiny. If they haven't bought one buy then that isn't going to be the deciding factor. I'm sure they'd rather just pay the $60 to get it for whatever console they have at that time then to reinvest $500 to play it on a slightly better machine

uh no. People aren't going to be paying $500 to buy an X1 so they can play Destiny. If they haven't bought one buy then that isn't going to be the deciding factor. I'm sure they'd rather just pay the $60 to get it for whatever console they have at that time then to reinvest $500 to play it on a slightly better machine
did i ever say i that statment they would be buying x1? titanfall is pretty much x1 big fps this year and sony is making destiny that for them.

What is coming out between Titanfall/Infamous & Destiny? I sure as hell hope there's a least a couple of big titles or that's gonna be a long 6 months. I mean nothing else really has a solid release date for next gen and it can't all be filled with quirky indy stuff for either console.
you got hopefully watch dogs, metal gear solid v ground zero, im sure there are more then i can remember. most years games are never really strong between spring and fall.

See none of those have solid release dates though. I guess Watchdogs which I'm wary of will probably be out but that's still just one game. Exciting stuff like The Order and Sunset Overdrive probably won't hit til Q3. There might be pointless ports (i.e. Tomb Raider) and cross platform meh stuff like Lego the Movie but christ that's a little depressing if true.

See none of those have solid release dates though. I guess Watchdogs which I'm wary of will probably be out but that's still just one game. Exciting stuff like The Order and Sunset Overdrive probably won't hit til Q3. There might be pointless ports (i.e. Tomb Raider) and cross platform meh stuff like Lego the Movie but christ that's a little depressing if true.
Is Drive Club March? i think Elder Scrolls Online comes out in May or June. Dying Light...summer? Yeah, not much is known right now outside of indie games

@GBAstar: I have to admit I still hate hitting the share button when I still have my brain programmed to thinking its select. I miss the select button. Wish they would have just added the share button and kept the select button. But Ill get over it with time. :p

@GBAstar: I have to admit I still hate hitting the share button when I still have my brain programmed to thinking its select. I miss the select button. Wish they would have just added the share button and kept the select button. But Ill get over it with time. :p
Oh I agree with you 100%; I don't mind the share button but it should have been in addition to a select button not in replacement of one.

Why does it feel like there's more games coming in the next two months than came out during the holidays?
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/bigger-hulu-twitch-game-streaming-reveals-massive-audience-220423175.html

Pretty good article on Twitch and the impact the PS4 has had on its success

Wasn't too long ago people were making fun of the "share" button/option on the PS4 controller. Who is laughing now?
twitch woud become even bigger if jtv would sell that website. i have been jtv/twitch user since start of jtv in 07 their managment is god awful and websites servers suck.

Dont project your own bullshit on to me. I was making an observation about what current sales are and what I see as the future trend. Both are doing really well in sales, but the fact is so far the ps4 has sold 1 million more and I constantly see lots of ones sitting on shelves and no ps4. If sony could keep up with demand the lead would be even higher. I want this to happen. I want sony to keep that lead growing. Why? Force microsoft's hand to ditch the kinect in a sku or lower the price to 400. I will buy a one when its cheaper (at this point would have to be below 400 if it still came with kinect) or doesnt have kinect, quicker sonys sales make that happen the better.

:)

Dont project your own bullshit on to me. I was making an observation about what current sales are and what I see as the future trend. Both are doing really well in sales, but the fact is so far the ps4 has sold 1 million more and I constantly see lots of ones sitting on shelves and no ps4. If sony could keep up with demand the lead would be even higher. I want this to happen. I want sony to keep that lead growing. Why? Force microsoft's hand to ditch the kinect in a sku or lower the price to 400. I will buy a one when its cheaper (at this point would have to be below 400 if it still came with kinect) or doesnt have kinect, quicker sonys sales make that happen the better. Plus x1 was u.s number one system in us in dec so kinect less sku is not happing anytime soon. But I'm sure if ps4 was in stores more ps 4 would have been top.

:)
Why below 400 with kinect? Plus as a person that has one I don't want ms to ditch it. That means it turns into kinect on 360 and most company's don't fully support it. Which means we all have useless product when it comes to game support which would suck.

Why below 400 with kinect? Plus as a person that has one I don't want ms to ditch it. That means it turns into kinect on 360 and most company's don't fully support it. Which means we all have useless product when it comes to game support which would suck.
3rd parties already aren't supporting it. How many Kinect games are out now beyond simple voice commands shoehorned into regular games (that no one wants to use anyway...)? I'll save you the searching, Just Dance is the answer. Then again, there's all the games on the horizon from 3rd parties that support Kinect like... well, umm... But hey at least Microsoft has massive support planned for Kinect with uhhh... Kinect Sports Rivals! Well, now isn't this awkward...

I think there will be plenty of games that don't include the Kinect. I think they will release a Kinectless sku eventually, and have the Kinect priced at ~$150 with the system sitting at $400.

3rd parties already aren't supporting it. How many Kinect games are out now beyond simple voice commands shoehorned into regular games (that no one wants to use anyway...)? I'll save you the searching, Just Dance is the answer. Then again, there's all the games on the horizon from 3rd parties that support Kinect like... well, umm... But hey at least Microsoft has massive support planned for Kinect with uhhh... Kinect Sports Rivals! Well, now isn't this awkward...
This.

X1 Kinect is already just like 360 Kinect in that matter.

Why below 400 with kinect?
Because I refuse to pay for kinect unless its really cheap. If it was 300 with kinect I prolly wouldnt complain too much. I dont want to pay extra for something I wont use. Everyone assumes, correct or not, that the kinect is the reason why one is 500 and not 400 like ps4. So if you buy a one with current prices and dont use the kinect you paid 100 for something you wont ever use, which is just silly.

This.

X1 Kinect is already just like 360 Kinect in that matter.
Bingo, in 2 short months we're already seeing the same outlook as the 360's kinect. Yeah, it might be great for the OS and interface but that ain't worth the extra price the kinect is adding. The minute Microsoft announced the One wasn't required for the system to work, the new Kinect was doomed.

Bingo, in 2 short months we're already seeing the same outlook as the 360's kinect. Yeah, it might be great for the OS and interface but that ain't worth the extra price the kinect is adding. The minute Microsoft announced the One wasn't required for the system to work, the new Kinect was doomed.
I want to know why they can't build a microphone and camera/sensor into the front face of the X1 console (I mean the console is huge) I know it wouldn't have the same field of focus that the sensor would but it would make me happier about the aesthetics as I hate have the sensor sitting out on my entertainment center

Sony Engineer Shares Detailed Schematics and Info on Cooling Solution

Sony’s Engineering Director Yasuhiro Ootori is considered one of the main masterminds behind the design of the PS4, and yesterday he held a special lecture on the console’s cooling solution at the INTERNEPCON Japan trade show in Tokyo, as reported by Japanese websites Famitsu and Inside Games.

Not only Ootori-san gave a detailed rundown on the heat management design of the PS4, but compared it with the designs included in the PS2 and in the three different models of the PS3.

Putting both reports together we learn some quite interesting details about the engineering of Sony’s new console:

• The cooling solution of the PS4 follows a mix of the basic designs of version G and N of the PS3 (the second and third iterations).
  •  The airflow design of the PS4 is based on the PS3 version N, while the power supply, heat sink and cooling fan derive from the know-how gathered while building version G.
  • Air coming from the intake port is split in two and used to cool both the bottom and the top of the main board, then flows into the heat sink, cools the internal power source and then is expelled through the exhaust port.
  • The airflow is regulated and channeled thanks to the difference between areas of positive pressure and negative pressure generated by the cooling fan.
  • The design of the heat sink is simple, with two heat pipes. The pitch of the fins has been improved by giving it a different angle in the low speed area compared to where the air flows faster, and the design of the blades has been optimized for the PS4.
  • The fan has been given a trapezoidal shape when seen from the side: during experimental testing the engineering team determined that this peculiar shape reduces the noise generated by turbulence.
  • The motor that propels the fan is a three-phase one. It’s slightly more costly than the single-phase motors used in the PS2 and PS3, but allows for lower power consumption and less vibration at lower rotational speeds.
  • Since in video games graphical load and heat generation varies very sharply, the PS2 and PS3 had a problem where their fans would not decrease in rotational speed efficiently when load dropped suddenly. This problem doesn’t appear in the PS4, reducing the overall noise.
  • The PS4 has a sensor that measures the temperature of the air passing through the exhaust area. Thanks to that, it’s possible to control the surface temperature of the shell.
A comparison between the efficiency of the cooling solution of the PS4 with the three PS3 models and the PS2 was also made.

• The PS4 has a heat treatment capacity compared to the volume of the unit similar (slightly lower) to the first PS3 model despite being much smaller.
  • The airflow is considerably more powerful than that of the G version of the PS3 and similar to that of the N version.
  • The area of the intake and exhaust ports is quite a lot lower than the first PS3 that was “full of holes,” but higher than the other two models, while keeping a natural design.
  • During gameplay the noise level is comparable to the latest model of the PS3, despite the much higher graphical load. On the dashboard noise is much inferior thanks to the three-phase motor of the fan.
  • The Ps4 has a much lower power consumption ratio for its fan compared to the total power required by the console than all models of the PS3. The fan uses only 10 W of the 250 W provided by the power source, for a ratio of only 4%
  • The PS4 beats the earlier models of the PS3 (but not the latest one) for heat treatment capability per dollar cost, being able to dissipate the heat generated by 5.1 W per dollar.
Sony creates custom PS3 hardware for PlayStation Now

Sony has developed brand new PS3 hardware to power its PlayStation Now streaming service, revealed earlier this month at CES in Las Vegas. Sources who have been briefed on the project suggest that the new PlayStation 3 consists of eight custom console units built into a single rack server. It's the new PlayStation hardware that everyone will have access to, but few will actually see.

Initially, Digital Foundry has learned that Sony experimented by placing standard retail units into datacentres, but plans to use this for the actual PlayStation Now service were shelved for a number of reasons. For starters there's the sheer space requirement, along with power efficiency issues, as even the most recent PS3 hardware can still draw up to 80W from the mains. Sony's engineers were able to mitigate both issues by shrinking the equivalent of eight PS3s onto a single motherboard, housed in a slimline server cabinet.

Pretty fascinating stuff. Sony definitely has some of the most talented engineers and game developers working for them.

I'm not even convinced it's predicament would be any better even if they had kept it the way they had it before(needing to be plugged in and on at all times). It's just not really technology that many people are interested in, especially hardcore gamers. Developers seem to have recognized this, just not MS themselves. I don't think we'll ever see a motion controlled game that just "wows" people, be it Kinect, Wii U or Move. Wii Sports was really the only motion controlled killer-app, but that's mainly just because it was the first of it's kind.

Even if the new Kinect is 20 times better than 1.0, it really doesn't matter because people have already moved on from the initial appeal of it.

I'm not even convinced it's predicament would be any better even if they had kept it the way they had it before(needing to be plugged in and on at all times). It's just not really technology that many people are interested in, especially hardcore gamers. Developers seem to have recognized this, just not MS themselves. I don't think we'll ever see a motion controlled game that just "wows" people, be it Kinect, Wii U or Move. Wii Sports was really the only motion controlled killer-app, but that's mainly just because it was the first of it's kind.

Even if the new Kinect is 20 times better than 1.0, it really doesn't matter because people have already moved on from the initial appeal of it.
Oh yeah, no doubt the kinect wasn't going to make it either way. By not requiring it to be connected to the system they did 2 things, hastened its eventual demise and signaled that a system sold without kinect would be possible. I don't doubt either of those things are things they didn't want to actually signal with the removal of the always connected requirement but they've created that expectation in the minds of consumers now.

I fully expect this kinect to receive even less developer support than the last one. At a certain point (even sooner now that the always connected requirement was dropped) consumers won't see any value at all in the kinect and they'll basically have no reason not to remove it and sell a "basic" model of the 360.

Oh yeah, no doubt the kinect wasn't going to make it either way. By not requiring it to be connected to the system they did 2 things, hastened its eventual demise and signaled that a system sold without kinect would be possible. I don't doubt either of those things are things they didn't want to actually signal with the removal of the always connected requirement but they've created that expectation in the minds of consumers now.

I fully expect this kinect to receive even less developer support than the last one. At a certain point (even sooner now that the always connected requirement was dropped) consumers won't see any value at all in the kinect and they'll basically have no reason not to remove it and sell a "basic" model of the 360.
this time around seems like ms was more into kinect being a system tool then gaming tool. you can tell that if you ever use x1 launch o.s somethings are hidden behind menus but with kinect you get it in like a sec. If microsoft ever launches that tech they showed off alot this past year that with kinect it can turn your room into a full tv screen that will be people going crazy over it. For me it's not what kinect can do now it's what it can to in feature tech and software.

[quote name="TimboSliceGB" post="11454350" timestamp="1390059362"]this time around seems like ms was more into kinect being a system tool then gaming tool. you can tell that if you ever use x1 launch o.s somethings are hidden behind menus but with kinect you get it in like a sec. If microsoft ever launches that tech they showed off alot this past year that with kinect it can turn your room into a full tv screen that will be people going crazy over it. For me it's not what kinect can do now it's what it can to in feature tech and software.[/quote]

If they do something in the future cool.

Right now it pisses me off, and I usually don't use it. Just something I was forced to buy but I don't NEED it right now.

The thing with the system tool part is that's mostly just the voice command stuff.  They can very easily build a microphone into the front of the box and keep all those features in a Kinectless sku.  All that's lost is stuff like the camera signing you in, and the gesture controls that most don't seem to use anyway.

I think MS just thought the motion control games would still bring in casuals since Kinect sold pretty damn well for the OG Xbox.  But I think a lot of casuals that bought Kinects, Wiis etc. are either long sick of them, or still fine playing Zumba, Just Dance etc. on whatever they already own.  Thus they just drove up the cost of their console with a gadget hardcore gamers mostly don't care about  (or actively dislike) that will probably do little to bring in casuals.

The media stuff is cool, and may draw some people in.  But again that could have been done with just a microphone and allowed them to launch at $400, with the Kinect separate or in a different optional bundle.

The thing with the system tool part is that's mostly just the voice command stuff. They can very easily build a microphone into the front of the box and keep all those features in a Kinectless sku. All that's lost is stuff like the camera signing you in, and the gesture controls that most don't seem to use anyway.

I think MS just thought the motion control games would still bring in casuals since Kinect sold pretty damn well for the OG Xbox. But I think a lot of casuals that bought Kinects, Wiis etc. are either long sick of them, or still fine playing Zumba, Just Dance etc. on whatever they already own. Thus they just drove up the cost of their console with a gadget hardcore gamers mostly don't care about (or actively dislike) that will probably do little to bring in casuals.

The media stuff is cool, and may draw some people in. But again that could have been done with just a microphone and allowed them to launch at $400, with the Kinect separate or in a different optional bundle.

I posted this thought somewhere (maybe in the MS thread) but with how big MS made the X1 (I mean it's huge---like 5lbs heavier then the PS4) they might as well have built the microphone and sensor into the front of the console. I know it wouldn't have been as accurate as a standalone sensor and probably would have required that you have the console exposed rather then hidden somewhere in a entertainment center/cabinet but it would have made someone like me happy who thinks for the most part the Kinect sensor is useless and an eyesore.

Has anyone noticed that the streaming from the PS4 on twitch and ustream is pretty bad?  All the streams get pretty blocky on the games.  If you're at a menu it's clear as day, it's just when there's movement on games.  I know it's not my internet because I have a 105 down and 10 meg upload speed.  I think I heard something somewhere saying the PS4 only allows a 1 meg upload speed or something crazy like that?  Anybody have any info on this?

Has anyone noticed that the streaming from the PS4 on twitch and ustream is pretty bad? All the streams get pretty blocky on the games. If you're at a menu it's clear as day, it's just when there's movement on games. I know it's not my internet because I have a 105 down and 10 meg upload speed. I think I heard something somewhere saying the PS4 only allows a 1 meg upload speed or something crazy like that? Anybody have any info on this?
The few times I've streamed I haven't been too put off by the quality of the stream. I realize it's not going to look like it does on my tv, but it didn't seem super blocky or stuttery, it just looked like someone streaming a ps4 game without any fancy special equipment. I guess ymmv.

I posted this thought somewhere (maybe in the MS thread) but with how big MS made the X1 (I mean it's huge---like 5lbs heavier then the PS4) they might as well have built the microphone and sensor into the front of the console. I know it wouldn't have been as accurate as a standalone sensor and probably would have required that you have the console exposed rather then hidden somewhere in a entertainment center/cabinet but it would have made someone like me happy who thinks for the most part the Kinect sensor is useless and an eyesore.
I don't think we know if the size / weight is a mistake yet. We will know this in a year or two depending on which console is more reliable. My PS4 runs a bit hotter than the Xbox One.

bread's done
Back