PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Been like that since the week before Christmas
I'm sure they don't track or at least publish these numbers but I'd be willing to bet their were more X1 returns in the 90 days following its release then any other console... ever. This of course isn't due to it being bad system or hardware failure but because their wasn't any resale profit.

What do you think 5% of total sales?

Here's the pic, notice the black box on the bottom right?  I did a double take when I saw it then had to get closer and read it to make sure I wasn't crazy.  Sure enough, it's from the November launch.

IMG_0342_Copy.jpg

Here's the pic, notice the black box on the bottom right? I did a double take when I saw it then had to get closer and read it to make sure I wasn't crazy. Sure enough, it's from the November launch.
Mine have been the same way - one or two stores still have day one editions and generally between 6 and 8 X1s but no PS4s. It's weird, but I reckon Microsoft must've really had supply worked out for this whole thing.

Mine have been the same way - one or two stores still have day one editions and generally between 6 and 8 X1s but no PS4s. It's weird, but I reckon Microsoft must've really had supply worked out for this whole thing.
Are MS's numbers sold through to customers or shipped to store? If it's shipped to store then those numbers are going to fall off a cliff because stores don't need to restock...

Here's the pic, notice the black box on the bottom right? I did a double take when I saw it then had to get closer and read it to make sure I wasn't crazy. Sure enough, it's from the November launch.

IMG_0342_Copy.jpg
Oh dear, lol... Although, it was probably just a return since I really doubt it has been there all this time.

Many stores have extended returns post-Christmas.

IMG_0342_Copy.jpg
people wonder why fanboy wars start on this sitethis stuff being posted in other party forums. i will ad this what happens if ps4 shortages keep going on when these bigger games comes out in spring and early summer. Amazon has had ps4's in stock alot last couple weeks every now and then. i seen 4 ps4's at my local costco and seen them randomly eveyr now and then in local stores. Xbo ones i have seen like one or two in stores at a time. With that said my area was same with wii so it just depends in areas and if gaming is a big thing which my city is not really the case.

this day and age you should have enough product to meet demand no questions asked. You don't see other major electronic companys like apple to have this bad product shortage for their iphones and ipads when launched. It's either sony needs faster production numbers are stores are holding back stock for ads that i see ran every now and then in big bo retailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
people wonder why fanboy wars start on this sitethis stuff being posted in other party forums. i will ad this what happens if ps4 shortages keep going on when these bigger games comes out in spring and early summer. Amazon has had ps4's in stock alot last couple weeks every now and then. i seen 4 ps4's at my local costco and seen them randomly eveyr now and then in local stores. Xbo ones i have seen like one or two in stores at a time. With that said my area was same with wii so it just depends in areas and if gaming is a big thing which my city is not really the case.

this day and age you should have enough product to meet demand no questions asked. You don't see other major electronic companys like apple to have this bad product shortage for their iphones and ipads when launched. It's either sony needs faster production numbers are stores are holding back stock for ads that i see ran every now and then in big bo retailers.
Uh...okay so people aren't supposed to report their findings if it upsets you? Hey, feel free to post a picture of your Target with only 1 Xbox One in stock. Is actually like to see that because I've never seen a display case like that outside of the X1's launch.

Uh...okay so people aren't supposed to report their findings if it upsets you? Hey, feel free to post a picture of your Target with only 1 Xbox One in stock. Is actually like to see that because I've never seen a display case like that outside of the X1's launch.
who said i was upset? but is this not ps4 thread not sure what showing tons of x1's in case has to do with ps4. im sure you live in bigger city then i do which means you would have more stock.

Um, PS4's are just a wee bit bigger and have a smidgen more parts than an iPhone. :eyeroll:
i understand that but he parts in ps4 they should be being pumped out more ofton then we seen them since launch. But im sure alot of them are being saved for the launch bundle for 2nd son they announced and hope that goes on preorder i want that.

I thought it was because they wanted to create an early foothold in the US? It's the only market the PS3 "lost" in.
I dont think Sony ever confirmed that as the reason, though I think most (myself included) assume thats the biggest reason. But even still, they have since launched in more countries than the X1 who were supposed to be out in 21 countries (I believe) but have the PS4 in 48 countries.

Does it make sense to focus on all of these other countries over the US considering MS's strength here? Guess we will see.

But if they delayed Japans launch to better serve US, they had over 20 other countries they could have done the same with that wouldnt have been threatened with X1 sales.

I dont think Sony ever confirmed that as the reason, though I think most (myself included) assume thats the biggest reason. But even still, they have since launched in more countries than the X1 who were supposed to be out in 21 countries (I believe) but have the PS4 in 48 countries.

Does it make sense to focus on all of these other countries over the US considering MS's strength here? Guess we will see.

But if they delayed Japans launch to better serve US, they had over 20 other countries they could have done the same with that wouldnt have been threatened with X1 sales.
people wonder why ps4 can't be found when the thing is out in 48 countries. If sony is smart they would start beef up production or send more to u.s in time for second son release in late march which is the game most people want ps4 for. Would really be bad for sony to launch one of their biggest 1st party title yet for ps4 and no ps4's to be found.

people wonder why ps4 can't be found when the thing is out in 48 countries. If sony is smart they would start beef up production or send more to u.s in time for second son release in late march which is the game most people want ps4 for. Would really be bad for sony to launch one of their biggest 1st party title yet for ps4 and no ps4's to be found.
You know, I was going to illustrate how production works and why opening up new production lines would be a net loss for Sony but it's easier to just call you stupid instead.

IMG_0342_Copy.jpg
Where did you take this at? That might be the day one i returned right before christmas. Tried to sell at cost to anyone I knew but no one wanted it. Had it reserved since you could reserve them at target and just bought thinking someone would want it. Wasnt the case.

timboslice giving business advice is hilarious.

[quote name="8bitArtist" post="11461568" timestamp="1390311805"]timboslice giving business advice is hilarious.[/quote]

Its funny how he said shortages never happen with Apple. I guess that's why people had to wait months to get the new iPhone in some areas.

The iPad Air was in nowhere near demand of the iPhone.

timboslice giving business advice is hilarious.
Why is it funny? How does it help Sony in any way to release one of their biggest games yet when no systems are in stock. Like I said my guess is most systems being made recent are being put into 2nd son bundle. Hopefully those are going to be put on preorder soon or tons made at launch seeing that's when in getting my ps4.

You know, I was going to illustrate how production works and why opening up new production lines would be a net loss for Sony but it's easier to just call you stupid instead.
Well maybe Sony should have not released in 48 parts of the world so close at launch and worry about the main populated parts of world and I doudt we would have this shortage. If ms matched launch in all those areas I'm sure there would be x1 shortages also.

They were staggered. Unlike the xbox, PlayStation actually has an appeal outside us.

They do have a huge release coming up in Japan you know.

Xbox really doesn't have anymore major countries to release in so I doubt there would be shortage issues.

Why is it funny? How does it help Sony in any way to release one of their biggest games yet when no systems are in stock. Like I said my guess is most systems being made recent are being put into 2nd son bundle. Hopefully those are going to be put on preorder soon or tons made at launch seeing that's when in getting my ps4.
How does it hurt Sony to be sold out worldwide in 48 countries as opposed to less? They sold out regardless. Doesn't matter where they were sold out at. Worldwide sales are still sales.

Maybe if Microsoft sold their systems in the countries they delayed instead of flooding the market here, they would have more sales.

They could produce 10 million more consoles than xbox, but be sold out, how is that a bad thing?  it would be a bad thing if microsoft was selling more consoles and Sony was Sold out, the fact is, they are the number one selling console and are sold out, and any time some come in stock they sell out... demand is simply higher than xbox.  it is a win for Sony.  And yet again Timbo brings his weak :censored: in here with a stupid argument that has no education to it.  Go take a business class and maybe you would understand why it is a good thing what Sony has going on. fuck

They could produce 10 million more consoles than xbox, but be sold out, how is that a bad thing? it would be a bad thing if microsoft was selling more consoles and Sony was Sold out, the fact is, they are the number one selling console and are sold out, and any time some come in stock they sell out... demand is simply higher than xbox. it is a win for Sony. And yet again Timbo brings his weak :censored: in here with a stupid argument that has no education to it. Go take a business class and maybe you would understand why it is a good thing what Sony has going on. fuck
Lol at them selling 10 million. Sadly you don't even get my opinion because you thinking its a dumb bash on Sony when it's not. People are starving for ps4's at this point. Sony should have slowly rolled out the launch. Once the bigger areas like u.s/uk/Japan have a steady flow of systems then come say summer start rolling out in other areas. I'm not sure how x1 being all over is bad thing and is why x1 was best selling system in dec. it's also tax time in us when most people have extra cash to spend and looking for next gen system with no ps4 x1 will be only choice.

Lol at them selling 10 million. Sadly you don't even get my opinion because you thinking its a dumb bash on Sony when it's not. People are starving for ps4's at this point. Sony should have slowly rolled out the launch. Once the bigger areas like u.s/uk/Japan have a steady flow of systems then come say summer start rolling out in other areas. I'm not sure how x1 being all over is bad thing and is why x1 was best selling system in dec. it's also tax time in us when most people have extra cash to spend and looking for next gen system with no ps4 x1 will be only choice.
It was the "best" selling system by dollar amount. They tried to spin it as usual. Ps4 and 3ds moved more units.

It was the "best" selling system by dollar amount. They tried to spin it as usual. Ps4 and 3ds moved more units.
The funny thing is the 10 million was just a business example. HEre is the thing, Xbox sales will slow down due to the hype going down and being regularly available. The PS4's hype keeps growing with the shortage. But the greatest point of all, is even though they have a shortage, PS4 is still outselling Xbox. The shortage is business 101, a lack of supply can raise the demand. The PS4 has almost no new games and no software to back up the hardware yet it is selling like hotcakes. Once it does get some triple A titles it will continue to sell at this pace. While Sony focuses globally, Microsoft has focused domestically and it has back fired. Once PS drops in Japan, I have a feeling the console lead Sony has is going to really kick in... Microsoft better be thinking quickly about a kinect less sku, otherwise the defecit could be too much.

The funny thing is the 10 million was just a business example. HEre is the thing, Xbox sales will slow down due to the hype going down and being regularly available. The PS4's hype keeps growing with the shortage. But the greatest point of all, is even though they have a shortage, PS4 is still outselling Xbox. The shortage is business 101, a lack of supply can raise the demand. The PS4 has almost no new games and no software to back up the hardware yet it is selling like hotcakes. Once it does get some triple A titles it will continue to sell at this pace. While Sony focuses globally, Microsoft has focused domestically and it has back fired. Once PS drops in Japan, I have a feeling the console lead Sony has is going to really kick in... Microsoft better be thinking quickly about a kinect less sku, otherwise the defecit could be too much.
The Playstation definitely has the momentum. Most likely MS is going to keep quiet about sales numbers for January and the months ahead. I'm sure that they'll lower the price of the Xbox One by $100. They'll find someway to do it. Of course Sony could respond with a $50 cut to the PS4 price which MS seems too incompetent to predict.

I would post this in the Xbox Forums but I know it would just start a big shit storm so ill post it here so we can all laugh .

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/21/report-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-positive-xbox-one-coverage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGwkS8R0Ms

I'm loving Don't Starve but I'm awful at it. I've been watching some people play it online and I'm amazed at the 100+ runs. Anyway it's my favorite ps4 ps+ freebie so far.

On another topic, I'm pretty new to streaming games. Any suggestions on getting started? Twitch or UStream?

I would post this in the Xbox Forums but I know it would just start a big shit storm so ill post it here so we can all laugh .

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/21/report-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-positive-xbox-one-coverage
that stuff has been going on with machima with other companys on youtube non stop. activision does ith with cod Ea did it with bf3. it's pretty much companys putting ad budget into youtube which is cheaper then doing non stop normal ads on internet and tv so yeah nothing to really laugh at.

The Playstation definitely has the momentum. Most likely MS is going to keep quiet about sales numbers for January and the months ahead. I'm sure that they'll lower the price of the Xbox One by $100. They'll find someway to do it. Of course Sony could respond with a $50 cut to the PS4 price which MS seems too incompetent to predict.
why would ps4 get price cut in first year of launch when it's not needed? ps3 and 360 have been 300 for how long now and ps3 is doing just fine. i could see ms doing some kind of buy system for cheap but require to sub to live for so long just like they did for 360. With all these x1's in wild it would be hard for ms to do a kinecless sku for 400 no one would buy all the 500 doller versions unless they drop to like 350 which is not going to happen. What will ms require all retail stores to send back all the systems with kinects to sell non kinect skus for 400?

why would ps4 get price cut in first year of launch when it's not needed? ps3 and 360 have been 300 for how long now and ps3 is doing just fine. i could see ms doing some kind of buy system for cheap but require to sub to live for so long just like they did for 360. With all these x1's in wild it would be hard for ms to do a kinecless sku for 400 no one would buy all the 500 doller versions unless they drop to like 350 which is not going to happen. What will ms require all retail stores to send back all the systems with kinects to sell non kinect skus for 400?
Yes.

Sony did it with Vitas. Had them sent back to create packages like the one I bought that came with year of plus, free copy of unit 13, and 4gb memory card. They did a big "recall" on unsold 3g/wifi systems and created these packages with those to help them sell better.

Yes.

Sony did it with Vitas. Had them sent back to create packages like the one I bought that came with year of plus, free copy of unit 13, and 4gb memory card. They did a big "recall" on unsold 3g/wifi systems and created these packages with those to help them sell better.
yeah but you are talking about ms here they think x1 is nothing with out kinect and their ego will keep it that way. i Agree that they should have launched with kinect and kinect less sku 400/500. i really don't see ms demanding all those to be sent back to them not with the main big game titan fall coming out in less then two months.

yeah but you are talking about ms here they think x1 is nothing with out kinect and their ego will keep it that way. i Agree that they should have launched with kinect and kinect less sku 400/500. i really don't see ms demanding all those to be sent back to them not with the main big game titan fall coming out in less then two months.
It's easy, 400 for kinectless, 500 for kinect, and then charge 150 for a kinect by iteself... MS did make Kinect useless by changing their stance and saying kinect wasn't required... Kinect is more for features like Skype, and controls for the menu then games. People have spoken and have been chosing PS over MS. I was one of them, I didn't want kinect, So I didn't want to spend $100 for nothing. So I switched to PS. MS would be smart to drop the kinect.

It's easy, 400 for kinectless, 500 for kinect, and then charge 150 for a kinect by iteself... MS did make Kinect useless by changing their stance and saying kinect wasn't required... Kinect is more for features like Skype, and controls for the menu then games. People have spoken and have been chosing PS over MS. I was one of them, I didn't want kinect, So I didn't want to spend $100 for nothing. So I switched to PS. MS would be smart to drop the kinect.
i agree some what that alot of people got ps4 because of kinect. But i think most of it has to do with all the drm garbage ms did at start and people don't trust them that they will not go back to that down the road which made people keep ps4 pre orders. Look at ps3 launch that thing was 600 doller most expensive version and sold decent. At this point will be telling tale from now til end of year if kinectless sku is needed seeing most hardcore gamers have system they want it's now casuals turn to decided.

But with ms being behind like they are can only be great news for gamers seeing they will do anything whenit comes to try to catch up.

xbox1 sold 3 million. ps4 sold 4.2 million. there is probably less then 1.2 million x1s on the shelves in stores. if roles were reversed, ms would be in the same position.

bread's done
Back