Banned
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071NH8B8/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_vg_lyfzzt

Includes:

PS Vita w/ Wifi + 3G
8GB Memory Card
Dataconnect session pass
1 Playstation Network game

Hello,

We'd like to provide an update for customers who have pre-ordered the "PlayStation Vita 3G/WiFi" handheld console. All customers who pre-order this item before its February 22, 2012 release date will be automatically upgraded to the "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" at no additional charge. The "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" will include an 8GB Memory Card, AT&T DataConnect Session Pass, and Free PlayStation Network Game. More details can be found in this item's product description section here: PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle

This upgrade will be extended to all existing "PlayStation Vita 3G/WiFi" pre-orders. Please note that due to limited quantities, we can't guarantee the availability of "PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle" after the pre-order window has ended.

We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy your new handheld console.

- Amazon Video Game Editors

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='djricekcn']I personally had my Vita since December and I like it. Yes it's big, but I like the bigness. The downfall is that you can't carry it your pocket, but these days, who carries stuff in their pocket? At least around here in L.A. most people have a shoulder bag sincemost people either has a laptop or a netbook / tablet.

Yes, some of the features are stupid (3g...only if the pricing strucutre was better) but the UI actually works well with the Vita...[/QUOTE]

Err, I carry my iPhone and keys in my pocket. Much like most Men. Never understood those big ass cellphones as they would never fit in my pocket.

I don't carry around my handheld game systems. Ever. My iPhone has enough games for me to play if I'm out. My handhelds typically remain at home.

[quote name='tightclaws']Also it's Sunday in the US, so are you from somewhere else? Did you win one or import Japanese one?[/QUOTE]

Retailers have them. Some might have broken street date. Sunday launch is very Nintendo, so maybe some retailers assumed the same from Sony?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Err, I carry my iPhone and keys in my pocket. Much like most Men. Never understood those big ass cellphones as they would never fit in my pocket.

I don't carry around my handheld game systems. Ever. My iPhone has enough games for me to play if I'm out. My handhelds typically remain at home.[/QUOTE]

in other words, it doesn't really matter if it's big and doesn't fit in your pocket. =P

[quote name='GizmoGC']Since few of you actually have the unit (and may have only play-tested it for a few minutes at Game Stop), not sure why everyone is piling on the ZOMG ITS AWESOME train.

And before everyone cries at me, I not only have Vita coming to me, but 4 games as well.[/QUOTE]

Most people like to reassure themselves of purchases they have made or intend to make. How do i know? I've done it myself.

The writer of that gamespot article made several valid points.. I can't comment on the functionality of the device, but the other points he made seem honest.

[quote name='poker360']Most people like to reassure themselves of purchases they have made or intend to make. How do i know? I've done it myself.

The writer of that gamespot article made several valid points.. I can't comment on the functionality of the device, but the other points he made seem honest.[/QUOTE]

it is to each his own. I personally don't like the iPhone but majority loves it. I personally don't like my 3DS compared to the Vita. Vita is my first choice between the two.

[quote name='djricekcn']in other words, it doesn't really matter if it's big and doesn't fit in your pocket. =P[/QUOTE]

For me, no.

But for Sony, yes. They are going against iPhones and Android phones that do fit in peoples pockets. It's exactly why I feel that while the Vita is an impressive looking device, it will fail. Consumer habits have changed. Nintendo realized this 4 months after launching the 3DS. Sony, well, they still seem to think people will pay $250+ for a handheld or $40+ for games. I see Sony trying to offer "$55 of additional" crap to ease some launch pains, but aside from a 8GB Card, the Data plan/free PSN Game is worthless.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Since few of you actually have the unit (and may have only play-tested it for a few minutes at Game Stop), not sure why everyone is piling on the ZOMG ITS AWESOME train.

And before everyone cries at me, I not only have Vita coming to me, but 4 games as well.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit.

You've been constantly bashing the Vita in these threads.

And why is everyone so hellbent on turning handheld gaming into mobile gaming? Those games are nothing more than distractions.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Bullshit.

And why is everyone so hellbent on turning handheld gaming into mobile gaming? Those games are nothing more than distractions.[/QUOTE]

So when I get my Vita and games and post a picture, will you respond or magically disappear into the abyss?

Just want to know whats cool now in middle school.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Bullshit.

And why is everyone so hellbent on turning handheld gaming into mobile gaming? Those games are nothing more than distractions.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, he's been crapping on Vita threads for quite a while. I'm sure he hates Sony and would love for it to fail. Personally I'm looking forward to the Vita, the first new handheld with true next-gen features to release in the last few years. The 3DS isn't even close, sadly; just looks like a DS 1.5, and a bad one at that.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Agreed, he's been crapping on Vita threads for quite a while. I'm sure he hates Sony and would love for it to fail. Personally I'm looking forward to the Vita, the first new handheld with true next-gen features to release in the last few years. The 3DS isn't even close, sadly; just looks like a DS 1.5, and a bad one at that.[/QUOTE]

I love how a guy who trolled every 3DS thread before and after release is calling someone else out for trolling the Vita threads. Rich.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Agreed, he's been crapping on Vita threads for quite a while. I'm sure he hates Sony and would love for it to fail. Personally I'm looking forward to the Vita, the first new handheld with true next-gen features to release in the last few years. The 3DS isn't even close, sadly; just looks like a DS 1.5, and a bad one at that.[/QUOTE]

LOL. You trolled 3DS threads and your trying to call me out on it?

[quote name='shiftymcneely']Ouch. That dude has valid points, but seems to be sipping a lot of haterade.[/QUOTE]

I think the main problem is that people are comparing it to phones. Games are too expensive? $29.99 and $39.99 is not expensive. Where were these complaints when the 3DS came out?

Sony is not competing with Android and IOS. Nobody is stupid enough to think someone is going to leave their PHONE at home so they can take their Vita to school/work instead. Im not banging my head against a wall trying to decide if should I buy GTAIII on my phone or Uncharted on the Vita.

Also, if your buying a Vita just for your morning commute to work, you have way too much money burning in your pocket and shouldn't be complaining about game prices. Vita is for PS3 like experience wherever you are. You are not going to play Uncharted for just 10 minutes and turn it off. Got a couple hours to burn at the airport? Load up Uncharted. Who the hell is going to play Angry Birds for 2 hours? Angry Birds is something I play while Im taking a dump.

And enough about the proprietary cards, cables from Sony. Who is surprised at this? Its Sony. And Apple is the biggest scrooge of any company out there. Itunes is required for their devices. Their MACbooks, etc. are twice as expensive other laptops even though the hardware is exactly the same.

Vita is not an Iphone, its not a tablet. Its a portable gaming device. It's primary function is gaming. It's the best at what it does. If you want a device to browse the web as its primary function, get a tablet. You want a device to call someone as its primary function, get a cellphone.

Just because its a mobile electronic, does not mean it has to be compared to every mobile electronic device ever made.

To complain about a web browser on the Vita? Really? Really? REALLY?

[quote name='wurms']I think the main problem is that people are comparing it to phones. Games are too expensive? $29.99 and $39.99 is not expensive. Where were these complaints when the 3DS came out?

Sony is not competing with Android and IOS. Nobody is stupid enough to think someone is going to leave their PHONE at home so they can take their Vita to school/work instead. Im not banging my head against a wall trying to decide if should I buy GTAIII on my phone or Uncharted on the Vita.

Also, if your buying a Vita just for your morning commute to work, you have way too much money burning in your pocket and shouldn't be complaining about game prices. Vita is for PS3 like experience wherever you are. You are not going to play Uncharted for just 10 minutes and turn it off. Got a couple hours to burn at the airport? Load up Uncharted. Who the hell is going to play Angry Birds for 2 hours? Angry Birds is something I play while Im taking a dump.

And enough about the proprietary cards, cables from Sony. Who is surprised at this? Its Sony. And Apple is the biggest scrooge of any company out there. Itunes is required for their devices. Their MACbooks, etc. are twice as expensive other laptops even though the hardware is exactly the same.

Vita is not an Iphone, its not a tablet. Its a portable gaming device. It's primary function is gaming. It's the best at what it does. If you want a device to browse the web as its primary function, get a tablet. You want a device to call someone as its primary function, get a cellphone.

Just because its a mobile electronic, does not mean it has to be compared to every mobile electronic device ever made.

To complain about a web browser on the Vita? Really? Really? REALLY?[/QUOTE]

Uncharted GA is $50.
The device is overpriced, mainly due to the lack of internal storage and the overpriced memory cards.
It is acceptable to compare an iPhone to a Vita just as much it is to compare a Vita to a 3DS.
When the DS / PSP launched, phones weren't a problem. Today, it's quite different, and whether you like it or not, phones have a major impact (mainly negative) on the dedicated handheld gaming market.

This is coming from a person that WANTS a Vita, but probably won't buy one at launch.

[quote name='GizmoGC']For me, no.

But for Sony, yes. They are going against iPhones and Android phones that do fit in peoples pockets. It's exactly why I feel that while the Vita is an impressive looking device, it will fail. Consumer habits have changed. Nintendo realized this 4 months after launching the 3DS. Sony, well, they still seem to think people will pay $250+ for a handheld or $40+ for games. I see Sony trying to offer "$55 of additional" crap to ease some launch pains, but aside from a 8GB Card, the Data plan/free PSN Game is worthless.[/QUOTE]

they aren't going against iPhones or Android phones, they even said they aren't going against GREE and MOBAGE.

It's just that they are marketing this horribly + the 3G services are extremely gay in Japan and USA because of the unwanted carrier + stupid pricing. It might do better at Euro but still think 3G is going to phase out.

[quote name='poker360']Uncharted GA is $50.
The device is overpriced, mainly due to the lack of internal storage and the overpriced memory cards.
It is acceptable to compare an iPhone to a Vita just as much it is to compare a Vita to a 3DS.
When the DS / PSP launched, phones weren't a problem. Today, it's quite different, and whether you like it or not, phones have a major impact (mainly negative) on the dedicated handheld gaming market.

This is coming from a person that WANTS a Vita, but probably won't buy one at launch.[/QUOTE]

To me, Uncharted Golden Abyss was worth the 68 dollars or so I paid. It's pretty much Uncharted 1, but on Vita + some touch area. I'm not being biased but I did love Uncharted 1 2 and 3. GA was no differ. I don't care about multiplayer, cause that's the part of Uncharted I don't really play with.

[quote name='GizmoGC']LOL. You trolled 3DS threads and your trying to call me out on it?[/QUOTE]

I did point out the 3DS weaknesses many times, very true. And how funny that one of my major complaints, the lack of a 2nd analog nub, was recognized by Nintendo as a huge mistake. I still think the 3DS is an inferior device, but I stopped bombing it out a long time ago. You might want to learn from that and stop crapping up the Vita threads; I certainly did.

Got my Vita preordered at Lockerz. Heres hoping Amazon puts up some decent deals on games soon. I'd probably jump on Lumines if someplace had it for 30. 40 seems like too much for it.

[quote name='djricekcn']they aren't going against iPhones or Android phones, they even said they aren't going against GREE and MOBAGE.

It's just that they are marketing this horribly + the 3G services are extremely gay in Japan and USA because of the unwanted carrier + stupid pricing. It might do better at Euro but still think 3G is going to phase out.

To me, Uncharted Golden Abyss was worth the 68 dollars or so I paid. It's pretty much Uncharted 1, but on Vita + some touch area. I'm not being biased but I did love Uncharted 1 2 and 3. GA was no differ. I don't care about multiplayer, cause that's the part of Uncharted I don't really play with.[/QUOTE]

It was more in reply to the guy who said most games are 29.99 or 39.99

[quote name='wurms']I think the main problem is that people are comparing it to phones. Games are too expensive? $29.99 and $39.99 is not expensive. Where were these complaints when the 3DS came out?

To complain about a web browser on the Vita? Really? Really? REALLY?[/QUOTE]

Why is everyone comparing it to phones? Because the phone market has taken a huge bite out of the gaming sector. Nearly ever publisher publishes iOS or Android games. It's scary when people would rather pay $1 for a quick 30-45 minute game instead of $30-$40 for a fantastic game like Mario Kart or (likely) Uncharted. But it's happening. Why would anyone spend $250 for 'another gaming system' when they have one in their pocket already? Nintendo had to learn that lesson the hard way. Sony seems to be in their own world with the Vita - even after it bombed hard in Japan.

Vita and 3DS are competing head-on with phones and tablets. That's a fact.

[quote name='djricekcn']they aren't going against iPhones or Android phones, they even said they aren't going against GREE and MOBAGE. [/quote]

So because "they" said so, you actually believe it? what do you think the whole point of PS Mini's was?

If Sony or Nintendo ignore that ever growing cellphone/tablet market (in relation to games), they will soon find themselves with little shelf space in retail stores.

[quote name='GizmoGC']
Vita and 3DS are competing head-on with phones and tablets. That's a fact.[/QUOTE]

But that's not the point. Yes, it's taking a bite out of the market but there's no comparison between a bite sized 99 game and a full fledged handheld game. Yes, you can read the cliff notes instead of the full novel but that's not the same thing. Some people still appreciate the full thing.

IMO, the Vita should be compared to the 3DS, not phones. If I want a handheld and the experience with the analog sticks, etc, then I want to compare handhelds, not handheld to phones.

For some people, a phone is good enough. Good for them. Doesn't help me figure out how good the system is though. And that should be the point of the review, not any kind of fanboy apple worship.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I did point out the 3DS weaknesses many times, very true. And how funny that one of my major complaints, the lack of a 2nd analog nub, was recognized by Nintendo as a huge mistake. I still think the 3DS is an inferior device, but I stopped bombing it out a long time ago. You might want to learn from that and stop crapping up the Vita threads; I certainly did.[/QUOTE]

I don't think not having the second analog stick was a huge mistake. Never really felt the need for one with the original DS. Sucks they had to release an add-on, but eh.

Sony learned nothing from their mistakes. Even their last bomb, the Go!, had 16GB of built-in memory. Sony couldn't even do that for the Vita and instead went with (again) proprietary memory cards (and USB Cable!).

[quote name='confoosious']But that's not the point. Yes, it's taking a bite out of the market but there's no comparison between a bite sized 99 game and a full fledged handheld game. Yes, you can read the cliff notes instead of the full novel but that's not the same thing. Some people still appreciate the full thing.

IMO, the Vita should be compared to the 3DS, not phones. If I want a handheld and the experience with the analog sticks, etc, then I want to compare handhelds, not handheld to phones.

For some people, a phone is good enough. Good for them. Doesn't help me figure out how good the system is though. And that should be the point of the review, not any kind of fanboy apple worship.[/QUOTE]

As the 3DS proved, that "some people" is getting smaller and smaller. People are just not willing to drop $250 (or $300 for a Vita with Memory card just so you can save your freakin' game) and buy a $40 game. It's just not going to happen anymore.

[quote name='GizmoGC']So because "they" said so, you actually believe it? what do you think the whole point of PS Mini's was?

If Sony or Nintendo ignore that ever growing cellphone/tablet market (in relation to games), they will soon find themselves with little shelf space in retail stores.[/QUOTE]

If they said so, yes...they aren't in direct competition with them. If they can get some of their crowd, of course that's good for them, after all this is business but they aren't in direct competition with them. besides, the people who game on the phones versus people who game on video game consoles are different and most video game companies have already realized this. which is why most video game companies now have a mobile gaming and gaming team.

Supermarkets and restaurants aren't in direct competition with each other, it's a similar situation.

[quote name='GizmoGC']As the 3DS proved, that "some people" is getting smaller and smaller. People are just not willing to drop $250 (or $300 for a Vita with Memory card just so you can save your freakin' game) and buy a $40 game. It's just not going to happen anymore.[/QUOTE]

But I don't CARE about those people. I just want to know about this system and that's what a reviewer should tell me. You're missing the point of the criticism.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I still think the 3DS is an inferior device, but I stopped bombing it out a long time ago. You might want to learn from that and stop crapping up the Vita threads; I certainly did.[/QUOTE]

yet Today, 06:08 PM

[quote name='chimpmeister'] The 3DS isn't even close, sadly; just looks like a DS 1.5, and a bad one at that.[/QUOTE]

Your definition of a long time ago must be different from everyone elses. :roll:

Want Vita/3DS to be a good gaming device? They're pretty good!
Want them to compete with other mobile devices? They suck!

I'm more in the "they suck" camp simply because in 2012 I would expect more out of these devices than what I'm getting. There's no technological reason I can't have something like a Vita with all the same functionality as an iphone. Yet here we are and there is no device that does both.

Having said that I'm still getting a Vita and already have a 3DS. If you're getting either for anything besides gaming though...

[quote name='GizmoGC']So when I get my Vita and games and post a picture, will you respond or magically disappear into the abyss?

Just want to know whats cool now in middle school.[/QUOTE]

Do it.

I want to see your face in it too.

This is the only post I will make about this issue between vita vs 3ds vs phones. The key element that I see missing is the possibility of vita remote play. Once that gets updated/improved, the debate is over. Playing ps3 games through remote play on a handheld makes it a truly unique device worthy of the higher price tag.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I'm not buying a Vita. Just the games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GizmoGC']And before everyone cries at me, I not only have Vita coming to me, but 4 games as well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GizmoGC']So when I get my Vita and games and post a picture, will you respond or magically disappear into the abyss?[/QUOTE]

That was quick.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']This is the only post I will make about this issue between vita vs 3ds vs phones. The key element that I see missing is the possibility of vita remote play. Once that gets updated/improved, the debate is over. Playing ps3 games through remote play on a handheld makes it a truly unique device worthy of the higher price tag.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's pretty cool if you like keeping your PS3 on all the time, want to pay really high Data plan fees (if on 3G) and pray/hope your WIFi is fast enough.

It's cool, but since I have no PS3, the feature is pretty useless to me.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']That was quick.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should re-read what I last wrote.

I won't be buying a Vita. But I will be buying the games.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Perhaps you should re-read what I last wrote.

I won't be buying a Vita. But I will be buying the games.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should re-read what you wrote in the other two posts I quoted.

Uh, you're buying games and a friend / family member is buying the Vita?

Am i right? If not, i don't get it.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Nice!

No games though?[/QUOTE]
I picked up Uncharted and I heard that you can take it online and download games without a problem, so I will probably download Stardust Delta.

[quote name='Thechaosdivision']I picked up Uncharted and I heard that you can take it online and download games without a problem, so I will probably download Stardust Delta.[/QUOTE]

confirmed on my JP Vita that US PSN is accessible as of Wednesday on the Vita, but i reverted back to JP because my main is JP

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Perhaps you should re-read what you wrote in the other two posts I quoted.[/QUOTE]

I did. You are trying to say I won't have a Vita. I will. You can even add my game tag to your profile and we can play together. That is, if you get one.

[quote name='djricekcn']confirmed on my JP Vita that US PSN is accessible as of Wednesday on the Vita, but i reverted back to JP because my main is JP[/QUOTE]
I have the 2nd mem card for my JP account so I can download vita demos a little early. The one I got was the first edition bundle and I have heard nothing but good things about Little Deviants, I forgot to mention I got that as well.

I'm kind of lost on this. Are you proud that you're not buying it? Are you not buying it in some sort of protest against Sony or handhelds? Just because you're not buying it Sony is still getting a sale and a device in your hands for you to buy the games and accessories, which is what they really want.

I'm not really buying a Vita either. I've been given gift cards and traded in old games and I'm probably paying about $20 out of pocket for a FEB Vita. Can I make odd claims about not buying a Vita too?

I'm not trying to troll you or anything, I just find it odd that you feel the need to point out that you're getting a Vita, but you're not paying for it.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']This is the only post I will make about this issue between vita vs 3ds vs phones. The key element that I see missing is the possibility of vita remote play. Once that gets updated/improved, the debate is over. Playing ps3 games through remote play on a handheld makes it a truly unique device worthy of the higher price tag.[/QUOTE]

The smartphone issue doesn't bother me. I only have one due to a cheap plan, id never pay $25+ for a data plan on one along with what is pay for service. I have yet to pay for a single game on it anyways. They don't appeal to me.

[quote name='Thechaosdivision']I have the 2nd mem card for my JP account so I can download vita demos a little early. The one I got was the first edition bundle and I have heard nothing but good things about Little Deviants, I forgot to mention I got that as well.[/QUOTE]

You still have to format even if you switch memory cards.

[quote name='omyard']I'm kind of lost on this. Are you proud that you're not buying it? Are you not buying it in some sort of protest against Sony or handhelds? Just because you're not buying it Sony is still getting a sale and a device in your hands for you to buy the games and accessories, which is what they really want.

I'm not really buying a Vita either. I've been given gift cards and traded in old games and I'm probably paying about $20 out of pocket for a FEB Vita. Can I make odd claims about not buying a Vita too?

I'm not trying to troll you or anything, I just find it odd that you feel the need to point out that you're getting a Vita, but you're not paying for it.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, Sony is loosing money per hardware, gain on per software (and accessories) so...

[quote name='GizmoGC']I did. You are trying to say I won't have a Vita. I will. You can even add my game tag to your profile and we can play together. That is, if you get one.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I'm good.

[quote name='djricekcn']You still have to format even if you switch memory cards.

If that's the case, Sony is loosing money per hardware, gain on per software (and accessories) so...[/QUOTE]

No sir, I believe it only costs Sony around $160 to make each vita. I'm sure someone knows the actual amount. They will profit on hardware and software. Good way to cover their butts if it gets hacked right away since they can still make money per system sold.

[quote name='shiftymcneely']No sir, I believe it only costs Sony around $160 to make each vita. I'm sure someone knows the actual amount. They will profit on hardware and software. Good way to cover their butts if it gets hacked right away since they can still make money per system sold.[/QUOTE]

that was an assumed amount that assumed overhead and other things. Additionally people forget that there are MORE costs than just making these things. To make a profit they still have to even out the R&D required to get the device to this point too.

bread's done
Back