PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='Wolfpup']You mean like when it's saving games or something? That's incredibly dumb.[/quote]Yup, game saves are indicated (in some games) with the HDD access indicator.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Yup, game saves are indicated (in some games) with the HDD access indicator.[/QUOTE]It depends upon the developer. Some devs (like in the PSP case) will use the XMB to save (which most games ask you to do if you want to save). Some games have the HDD indicator because they are games using the autosave feature (not the manually save option). It's nothing new to me, since I've seen games do both for years, regardless of platform.
[quote name='withered']Well I have a 60gb and it's pretty buggy on PS2 games. It freezes on a lot of them and has magically erased data. Then one day the power went out and all the PS2 data was erased but the PS3 game data was still there.[/QUOTE]
A few games had that issue early on, but after many firmware updates, problems with PS2 saves isn't too common anymore.
[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Well I went to download the Echochrome demo just now, and my PS3 died. Just shut off instantly, stand-by light and everything. Unplugged from the wall, replugged, tried holding down the power button. Tried flipping the hard switch a few times. Nothing. Looks like the power supply shit the bed.

Anyone have any other things I can try to fix it?[/QUOTE]I hear the PS3 will automatically shut off when it gets too hot. If it doesn't turn on again or something, then it may be dead.

I would think it'd be very rare if you actually turned it off while it was saving.
The process is a couple of seconds.

And I think it only refers to actually flipping off the power switch in the back.
If you just power down like normal it has it's own processes while it finishes what it has to do.

[quote name='dallow']I would think it'd be very rare if you actually turned it off while it was saving.
The process is a couple of seconds.

And I think it only refers to actually flipping off the power switch in the back.
If you just power down like normal it has it's own processes while it finishes what it has to do.[/QUOTE]Pretty much, because when I turn my PS3 off, it will gradually shut off processes. At times when my PS3 freezes due to a glitch (or some other weird issue), it will beep to turn off some processes, then beep again and turn off completely.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So you could add real unlimited cellular internet for $44? That's a really good deal. I think the big carriers charge more like $60, and it's not REALLY unlimited. (I mean I'm sure Alltell would eventually get upset too, but it sounds like you're using it the same way I use my cable modem).

That's basically the same price I pay for cable. I don't really care about speed, but it would be handy to have access I could use at work :lol:

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have not had any problems with the big downloads. Just recently I downloaded maybe 5 demos from PS Store and I noticed that one time near the end it was disconnected... I clicked connect and it was back up and running and hasnt done it since... I dont know if it was just a timer issue or what.

I have done tons of music as well with no real issues.

I must be dense, but this is ridiculous. I am trying to move my PS3 to a big TV for others to play on, and it is not an HDTV. The TV I'm using now is HDTV and connected via HDMI. I am moving to a different TV and want it to play through the Red/White/Yellow cables that came with it. But what the hell do I need to do to get it to play? When I turn on the PS3 on the other TV, it dosent do anything.

Hold the power button for 5 seconds when you turn it on (wait until it beeps a second time). That switches the video output to 480i/composite.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I have a 60GB PS3 and I'm having a problem playing Chrono Cross. The game just freezes at certain points in the game whenever I try to use magic. If I don't use magic, it plays just fine.

The weird thing is that the problem isn't listed on the Sony website, the only two problems were extremely minor. That's why I decided to play the game and plunk down 10 hours of my life into it.

Anyone here heard of such a problem? Or is there something wrong with my ps3?[/quote]

Just wanted to add that I have the same problem. It only occurs when using elements. It's a huge problem and, according to the boards at the official playstation site, Sony won't acknowledge that it exists.

Quick question, I know the charger for the sixaxis is USB, so can it just plug into any usb thats able to be used? My ps3 is across the room, and it needs a charge, so could I use my PCs usb?

Opinion answered question...

Should I get one now or later?

I'm not paying (my dad is) and he wants to use it for a blue ray player. I was wonder if there is any chance blue ray savings will come back? I doubt a price drop is near so the free blue rays are my only hope.

[quote name='Foladar']Quick question, I know the charger for the sixaxis is USB, so can it just plug into any usb thats able to be used? My ps3 is across the room, and it needs a charge, so could I use my PCs usb?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure this can be done. I do it this way for my xbox 360 controllers and seeing how the PS3 is more PC friendly, I'd say yes. TRY IT =)

[quote name='Foladar']Quick question, I know the charger for the sixaxis is USB, so can it just plug into any usb thats able to be used? My ps3 is across the room, and it needs a charge, so could I use my PCs usb?[/quote]

Yes, you can plug it into your pc usb and it will charge :)

I tried plugging it directly into the wall socket though using an adapter and that did not work.

I have a charging stand for my controllers. Should I remove them once they are charged, or would it be ok to leave them in there until they need used. Also, should I wait until the charge gets low on the controller before I charge it, or could I charge it after every use with no ill affects?

I've been checking random PS2 games I may possibly play on the PS3 via their website compatibility check list. Of those include the upcoming MGS: Essentials and Persona 3:FES and I was wondering on some people's opinions. Does the 80gb not play any major titles that the 60gb does? I'm thinking about getting either a 60gb or an 80gb off of gamefunk. If there are no 60gbs available I may just get the 80gb and BC looks decent for a few titles I checked. Are fans/heat issues better than 60gb? thanks!

btw I do have a PS2. I just want to clear up the entertainment area and go wireless =)

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Opinion answered question...

Should I get one now or later?

I'm not paying (my dad is) and he wants to use it for a blue ray player. I was wonder if there is any chance blue ray savings will come back? I doubt a price drop is near so the free blue rays are my only hope.[/quote]
There's no reason for them to bring back the 5-free promo. People who want Blu-Ray now will buy it at some point, regardless of whether or not they get free movies. When there was a format war on, they needed the promo to keep from losing sales. Now that the threat's gone, so is the impetus for the freebies.

If you want one now, get one now. If you want to wait (for a new model, different bundle, lower price, whatever), then do that.

I'm actually glad that promotion's over since maybe it'll mean we finally get the STORES to offer some promotions-gift cards, free games, whatever.

So often last year they'd have some free game promo on the X-Box, and for the Playstation they'd be like "get these free Blu Rays discs!" as though it was their promotion.

The 80GB unit doesn't play Shadow of Destiny apparently, which stinks :(

I just won a PS3 40GB version...Is that a big enough HD? Is this one of the PS3s that you can swap out the hard drive? Am I better off buying an 80 GB model? I was going to buy a PS3 anyway, since I am not a fan of the xbox consoles.

[quote name='slowdive21']I just won a PS3 40GB version...Is that a big enough HD? Is this one of the PS3s that you can swap out the hard drive? Am I better off buying an 80 GB model? I was going to buy a PS3 anyway, since I am not a fan of the xbox consoles.[/quote]

You can swap out the hard drive, yes.

If you want any backwards compatibility, yes, you're better with an 80gig.

Question, at school I had my ps3 set up on an hdmi connection, and since I'm now on spring break I was going to switch back to A/V but I don't have the hdmi cable or an hdmi compatible tv at my parents' house, is there anyway to change the A/V connections if you cannot see the picture? A default reset maybe?

[quote name='kube00']Question, at school I had my ps3 set up on an hdmi connection, and since I'm now on spring break I was going to switch back to A/V but I don't have the hdmi cable or an hdmi compatible tv at my parents' house, is there anyway to change the A/V connections if you cannot see the picture? A default reset maybe?[/QUOTE]This has been answered hundreds of times but just hold the power button when you turn the PS3 on (on the console itself). You'll hear the first beep (don't lift your finger), and then another beep after 5 seconds or so (then you lift your finger). The PS3 will reset to 480i/p and the A/V cables will work.

Thanks Mana Knight!

On another note when i get back to school all have is hdmi, do I just plug it in and go from there or do I have to find a tv with hdmi and a/v so I can configure the a/v?

[quote name='kube00']Thanks Mana Knight!

On another note when i get back to school all have is hdmi, do I just plug it in and go from there or do I have to find a tv with hdmi and a/v so I can configure the a/v?[/quote]
It should ask you when you boot it up if you want to use the HDMI connection for video and audio if you don't connect the composite cables.

Is there any type of update you can download to play AAC files off of an iPod? Everything I import to iTunes is in AAC format. I tried plugging in my iPod, and the PS3 only picked up 3 tracks, all MP3s. Odd thing was it didn't pick up podcasts either, which should be in the MP3 format.

[quote name='slowdive21']I just won a PS3 40GB version...Is that a big enough HD? Is this one of the PS3s that you can swap out the hard drive? Am I better off buying an 80 GB model? I was going to buy a PS3 anyway, since I am not a fan of the xbox consoles.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mguiddy']You can swap out the hard drive, yes.

If you want any backwards compatibility, yes, you're better with an 80gig.[/QUOTE]

Just to clear for Slowdrive, ALL Playstation 3s have upgradeable hard drives. 40GB is way more than enough if you're using it as a game machine, but it is upgradeable. Backwards compatibility is the big issue with the 40GB model (why I'm waiting for the new 80GB model).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Just to clear for Slowdrive, ALL Playstation 3s have upgradeable hard drives. 40GB is way more than enough if you're using it as a game machine, but it is upgradeable. Backwards compatibility is the big issue with the 40GB model (why I'm waiting for the new 80GB model).[/quote]
Was it confirmed that the new 80 will have BC?

I just want to double check something. The only differences other than storage in the 40 and 80 Gig models are the 80 gig has Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash Slots and 2 more USB ports?

And the 80 gig is backwards compatable? is there a software download that would make the 40 gig backwards compatable? If they have the same tech specs according to scea.com, why is one backwards compatable?

Do either of these models have the cell processor or is that only the originals? Has anyone noticed a difference in performance?

I originally wanted a 60 Gig, but I won a 40 gig and I am wondering if I should dump it and find a 60 or 80 gb.

[quote name='slowdive21']I just want to double check something. The only differences other than storage in the 40 and 80 Gig models are the 80 gig has Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash Slots and 2 more USB ports?

And the 80 gig is backwards compatable? is there a software download that would make the 40 gig backwards compatable? If they have the same tech specs according to scea.com, why is one backwards compatable?

Do either of these models have the cell processor or is that only the originals? Has anyone noticed a difference in performance?

I originally wanted a 60 Gig, but I won a 40 gig and I am wondering if I should dump it and find a 60 or 80 gb.[/quote]
I've heard that the 40 gig has silver painted trim and the 80 has reflective chrome trim, but according to Wikipedia the 40 has chrome trim too.

No there isn't a download to make 40s backwards compatible. Doesn't mean they won't make one eventually though.
The scoop with BC is that the 20 and 60 has both the CPU and the GPU chips from the PS2. The 80 removed the CPU chip, relying on software emulation to replace it. The 40 removed both chips.

All PS3s have the Cell processor.

Thanks for the help! I think I might dump this one and wait for the MG4 bundle. Dualshock and backwards compatable for only $100 more...sounds good to me!

okay guys, figured I'd ask this here so as to not clog up the boards..

I'm looking at an 80GB PS3 that was purchased new in Nov. 07 but has been sent in to Sony and they sent him back a "new" one. The guy wants to sell the one he got back and will include the original receipt w/ warranty good until Nov. 08

So, my question is, will this receipt work for me? Secondly, will Sony cover the refurbed unit for Warranty, if so how? If they require receipt, if the unit is different, how will the receipt match up with the unit that was sent back? I can get a good deal on this and w/ receipt it makes it seem a little easier if I ever needed warranty. Thanks guys!

[quote name='richierich']well how much is he asking? Do you think it's good enough to deal with the hassle?[/quote]

Well, the way I see it, isn't the refurb w/ receipt "better" than buying a brand new unit off ebay b/c those won't have receipts even if they're new right? So if I did buy a new unit off someone, wouldn't I be SoL if I needed a repair, because let's face it, shit happens even if it's a brand new unit. In this case, I'd have a receipt so I could get it repaired, I'd hope. What I want to know is if I could use the original receipt on an already refurbed unit.

He's asking $400 but I could probably get it lower if I showed him cash. Craigs list, local so I could check it out too.

Hi - didn't find this while searching here and didn't find too much on a google search. Does anybody know a way to play internet radio on the ps3? I'm really just specifically looking to play radioparadise. I use cidero radio to serve up internet radio to my two smc audio streaming devices. Cidero shows up on my ps3 but once I get to the mp3 stream that I want it says "unsupported data" I was wondering if anybody has gotten streaming internet radio working? You can pm me might be the best way to respond - thanks!

Another question. I was at BB today and I asked the kid in the games section if they had any 80 GB PS3s. He said the 80 GB is discontinued and that they are going to get a new 40 GB version with BC. I checked the BB website and the CC website and neither has the 80 GB version listed. So has the 80 GB been pulled until the MG4 bundle? Has anyone heard about a BC 40GB version? Or is it the format war win that makes them HTF?

80gb has been discontinued for awhile, to be reintroduced for MGS4 bundle come June.. as for a BC 40gb I don't know about that.. but hey it's possible.. if it were the white ones that were supposedly coming in this month.

[quote name='aznguyen316']okay guys, figured I'd ask this here so as to not clog up the boards..

I'm looking at an 80GB PS3 that was purchased new in Nov. 07 but has been sent in to Sony and they sent him back a "new" one. The guy wants to sell the one he got back and will include the original receipt w/ warranty good until Nov. 08

So, my question is, will this receipt work for me? Secondly, will Sony cover the refurbed unit for Warranty, if so how? If they require receipt, if the unit is different, how will the receipt match up with the unit that was sent back? I can get a good deal on this and w/ receipt it makes it seem a little easier if I ever needed warranty. Thanks guys![/quote]

The rufurbed unit has the same warranty the original unit did or a 3-month warranty, which ever is longer. The refurbed unit should actually have the same serial number as the original, so the receipt will still match the unit.

[quote name='Warner1281']The rufurbed unit has the same warranty the original unit did or a 3-month warranty, which ever is longer. The refurbed unit should actually have the same serial number as the original, so the receipt will still match the unit.[/quote]

Thank you very much sir!! I feel this is the better way than a used off gamefunk b/c of the receipt and warranty. It's still sealed in packaging so I'll prob have to jump on this.

Question: What happens if I get a new console - like say I get the MGS model and get rid of my 40 gig model - and I've shared all my available PSN game downloads? How do I get the games that were shared *to* me?

Turned on my PS3 today and it asked if I wanted to use the HDMI connection (like the first time I hooked up the system). Nothing had changed to the unit. Didn't disconnect it or switch cables or anything like that. Is that a normal quirk or something? Also, I finally dug up my GT4 and wow, much better looking than my other 1080i PS2 game, Tourist Trophy.

How would someone get mp4 files onto the ps3? I tried copying onto a 2gb SD and using a usb reader, however it came up "unsupported file" and Vista's WMP11 refuses to allow the mp4 into its library so I could stream it because it doesn't have a codec, or something. I tried the PS3X Media Server thing, but that didn't work either. Isn't there *some* easy way to get these files over onto my PS3 to watch? I've tried for several hours and there seems to be no possible solution.

[quote name='Foladar']How would someone get mp4 files onto the ps3? I tried copying onto a 2gb SD and using a usb reader, however it came up "unsupported file" and Vista's WMP11 refuses to allow the mp4 into its library so I could stream it because it doesn't have a codec, or something. I tried the PS3X Media Server thing, but that didn't work either. Isn't there *some* easy way to get these files over onto my PS3 to watch? I've tried for several hours and there seems to be no possible solution.[/quote]
Try converting them to a format the PS3 can watch. Google "PS3 video 9" and one should pop up that'll work for you.

[quote name='Hockey37']I have a charging stand for my controllers. Should I remove them once they are charged, or would it be ok to leave them in there until they need used. Also, should I wait until the charge gets low on the controller before I charge it, or could I charge it after every use with no ill affects?[/quote]

Any suggestions?

[quote name='Hockey37']Any suggestions?[/quote]

If the battery works like any other rechargeable battery, you're better off waiting until the controller dies/almost dies before recharging. For some scientific reason, if you recharge batteries continuously, they lose their ability to hold a charge for long periods of time sooner than if you let them die before recharging. That being said, I don't know if the controllers work like typical rechargable batteries AND even if they do, I still continuously charge my controllers since I don't feel like having my controller die on me 10 minutes into a game because I had to wait for it to die before I started charging (I only have 1 controller).

I'm getting a PS3 monday.. so how can you tell the battery is dying? Like on the 360 it blinks and flashes and there's a battery meter in the guide menu, thanks!

[quote name='aznguyen316']I'm getting a PS3 monday.. so how can you tell the battery is dying? Like on the 360 it blinks and flashes and there's a battery meter in the guide menu, thanks![/quote]Same way pretty much.

bread's done
Back