PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='yukine']If I connect a PS3 via HDMI, will I be able to output audio via a optical cable? I don't have an HDMI receiver so I need to be able to do that.[/quote]

yes. i used to use optical out before i got my hdmi receiver

[quote name='yukine']If I connect a PS3 via HDMI, will I be able to output audio via a optical cable? I don't have an HDMI receiver so I need to be able to do that.[/QUOTE]Yes, because the optical is on the back of the PS3 console itself, separate from the HDMI. You can buy cheap HDMI cable from monoprice if you don't have one, then use an optical cable separately.
[quote name='Wolfpup']Do you know if it's less restrictive than Microsoft's DRM? Like more like Steam where you can actually run it on a second (or 30th) Playstation 3 if you "activate" it or whatever one time, and then you can play it offline? (Personally I'm not buying downloadable content unless it works like that-I don't want to be restricted to being online or only having 5 activations or whatever if I get a second PS3.)[/QUOTE]For sure it's less restrictive. Like when I did a system back-up utility when changing my HDD, all my games copied to my new HDD and had zero issue playing them. :)

I dont have a ps3, but I will in the near future.

I was wondering if there was a way I can copy my save file of uncharted from my friends ps3(60gb) onto a jump drive and put it onto a new 40 gb ps3?

if not, will this new 80 gb model have the card reader and could I do the same thing but with the card reader instead of a jump drive?

[quote name='ajumbaje']I dont have a ps3, but I will in the near future.

I was wondering if there was a way I can copy my save file of uncharted from my friends ps3(60gb) onto a jump drive and put it onto a new 40 gb ps3?

if not, will this new 80 gb model have the card reader and could I do the same thing but with the card reader instead of a jump drive?[/quote]

You can use the USB flash drive - no need for a card reader. I do this to backup my saves.

[quote name='blueweltall']Looking to upgrade my HDD. Whats a good reliable drive to get and who have the best price?[/QUOTE]Just get a SATA 2.5" laptop one and you should be fine. Most go to Newegg, although I just bought an actual retail boxed HDD.

This is the one I have (which I saw at Office Depot, Staples, and Fry's, although I got mine at Fry's):
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/100205/Internal-Notebook-Hard-Drive-5400-RPM/

I wanted to get an actual retail boxed because if there was a problem, I could easily return it to the store and comes with a 5 year limited warranty. Also, the PS3 HDD is a Seagate, so I felt it was best to stick with them since my previous one was pretty good. I got mine for $150, although it appears to be on sale.

It's up to you whether to buy online or B&M. Just be careful not to strip the screws when upgrading.

Here are some of my HDD upgrade pictures.
HDD1.jpg

HDD3.jpg

PS3HDDsizeupdate.jpg

If you have a decent size USB flash drive or external HDD, I recommend you do a system backup utility to back everything or most everything up, so you can restore everything after the upgrade and not have to re-download everything.

TMK, when you did the upgrade, did you back up your drive to an external HDD or flash drive? If so, what did you have to deal with not coming over with the backup/restore?

[quote name='shrike4242']TMK, when you did the upgrade, did you back up your drive to an external HDD or flash drive? If so, what did you have to deal with not coming over with the backup/restore?[/QUOTE]Well, when doing a system back-up utility, I only had a 512MB USB flash drive. If I had an external HDD, I could have backed up everything. I only transferred over photos, one PSN game (Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo), some Game Data Utility (which had some paces), all my saved data, themes, and so on. When trying the backup utility the first time, it told me I needed to free up 12MB more, so it will tell you if you have enough space to successfully backup.

Once I swapped the HDD, I'm prompted to format the HDD and the PS3 restarts. Once it does, it logs me in how I normally do (all the accounts I created remain uncharted and stuff, but the XMB becomes blank. I go back to the back-up utility and restore everything (which doesn't take long at all). As soon as I did, my PS3 looked EXACTLY the same way it did before I changed my HDD. I ended up just re-downloading all my demos and the majority of patches unfortunately (due to not having a big enough drive).

Anyway, previously, I could not copy over protected saved data (like High Velocity Bowling data, Shining Tears PS2 data, DMC4 Network data, etc.) when doing it manually. When restoring everything I backed up, every single thing including all the protected saved data copied over to the new HDD.

I HIGHLY recommend to any PS3 owner who has a big external HDD to do a system backup utility every month at least, so if something happens to your PS3 (HDD dies, console dies, PS3 stolen, or whatever), you can easily restore what you had.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Well, when doing a system back-up utility, I only had a 512MB USB flash drive. If I had an external HDD, I could have backed up everything. I only transferred over photos, one PSN game (Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo), some Game Data Utility (which had some paces), all my saved data, themes, and so on. When trying the backup utility the first time, it told me I needed to free up 12MB more, so it will tell you if you have enough space to successfully backup.

Once I swapped the HDD, I'm prompted to format the HDD and the PS3 restarts. Once it does, it logs me in how I normally do (all the accounts I created remain uncharted and stuff, but the XMB becomes blank. I go back to the back-up utility and restore everything (which doesn't take long at all). As soon as I did, my PS3 looked EXACTLY the same way it did before I changed my HDD. I ended up just re-downloading all my demos and the majority of patches unfortunately (due to not having a big enough drive).

Anyway, previously, I could not copy over protected saved data (like High Velocity Bowling data, Shining Tears PS2 data, DMC4 Network data, etc.) when doing it manually. When restoring everything I backed up, every single thing including all the protected saved data copied over to the new HDD.

I HIGHLY recommend to any PS3 owner who has a big external HDD to do a system backup utility every month at least, so if something happens to your PS3 (HDD dies, console dies, PS3 stolen, or whatever), you can easily restore what you had.[/quote]Good to hear about the info coming over. I had a 160GB PATA drive I pressed into service as an external drive, and it was 19GB of data that was backed up. I swapped out the drive, and once again, I say that anyone that uses aluminum screws to save a penny or two should be beaten to death with a flail made from rusty nails and steel screws. I ended up stripping one of the 4 HDD screws, though managed to get it off and back on again. Blue screw was a small issue.

I'll keep the external HDD idea in mind for the future, though the issue with the PS3 not knowing anything else except FAT32 partitions doesn't sit well with me. FAT32 over 32GB is danger territory, so I wish they'd have it take NTFS or EXT2/3 patitions, which are much better than FAT32 for big partitions.

I'll see what happens when the restore is done.

[quote name='shrike4242']Good to hear about the info coming over. I had a 160GB PATA drive I pressed into service as an external drive, and it was 19GB of data that was backed up. I swapped out the drive, and once again, I say that anyone that uses aluminum screws to save a penny or two should be beaten to death with a flail made from rusty nails and steel screws. I ended up stripping one of the 4 HDD screws, though managed to get it off and back on again. Blue screw was a small issue.

I'll keep the external HDD idea in mind for the future, though the issue with the PS3 not knowing anything else except FAT32 partitions doesn't sit well with me. FAT32 over 32GB is danger territory, so I wish they'd have it take NTFS or EXT2/3 patitions, which are much better than FAT32 for big partitions.

I'll see what happens when the restore is done.[/QUOTE]That's true because when I upgraded my HDD, it said I had 203GB out of 232GB of free space intiially (can't remember the exact number, but it was something like that). I was told the FAT32 format causes that. But oh well, much larger space that what I use to have. :)

blueweltall, this is probably the best tutorial on the internet:
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/127009.shtml

Wait so did your Seagate HHD package includes all the tools and equipment needed to swap out the HDD? Whats the max hdd size you can upgrade too?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']That's true because when I upgraded my HDD, it said I had 203GB out of 232GB of free space intiially (can't remember the exact number, but it was something like that). I was told the FAT32 format causes that. But oh well, much larger space that what I use to have. :)

blueweltall, this is probably the best tutorial on the internet:
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/127009.shtml[/quote]Restore just finished, and it put everything right back the way it was.

111GB formatted capacity from the 120GB drive, 71GB free space after restore. Some of that is slack space that isn't usable due to large cluster size on a larger partition, and I'm sure the PS3 compresses the backup before dumps it off to the disk. When I look at the external HDD with my XP PC, there's nothing in there, except for a folder structure like this:

\PS3\EXPORT\BACKUP\(datetimestamp folder name)\

In that folder are a number of files with names like archive.dat, so I'm guessing they're some type of compressed backup file.

Very easy to do, save the aluminum screw issue.

[quote name='blueweltall']Wait so did your Seagate HHD package includes all the tools and equipment needed to swap out the HDD? Whats the max hdd size you can upgrade too?[/QUOTE]You just need a screw precision screw driver set. The only thing in my box was the HDD. I had to remove five screws total from the thing that holds my PS3 HDD in place, then screw them on the new HDD, then insert it back into my PS3.

Yeah, it's surprising just how simple it is and you really don't need much.

As for size, the biggest 2.5" SATA you can find right now is 320GB. A few got it to work I believe. I know one who did some dissecting and got their PS3 to use a 500GB external HDD (but act as an internal HDD).

[quote name='shrike4242']Restore just finished, and it put everything right back the way it was.

111GB formatted capacity from the 120GB drive, 71GB free space after restore. Some of that is slack space that isn't usable due to large cluster size on a larger partition, and I'm sure the PS3 compresses the backup before dumps it off to the disk. When I look at the external HDD with my XP PC, there's nothing in there, except for a folder structure like this:

\PS3\EXPORT\BACKUP\(datetimestamp folder name)\

In that folder are a number of files with names like archive.dat, so I'm guessing they're some type of compressed backup file.

Very easy to do, save the aluminum screw issue.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I stripped the blue screw a little when getting it back on. :whistle2:( I heard some at PSU replaced the screws with more durable ones (such as non-phillips head ones with square headed ones). Yeah, mine left a backup on the folder too.

[quote name='yukine']Pretty awesome, seems like the PS3 is much more open than 360/Wii.

Wii is so damn strict about copying data and so forth.[/QUOTE]PS3 is definitely open. There are some datasaves which are copy protected, but it won't matter if you do a system back-up utility. You can also download game saves to some games off of GameFAQs and copy them to your PS3 console. Another feature I like is if you decide to use a different profile, you can copy your data saves directly to that profile without issues (just gotta choose that option).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Warhawk has a special DRM in that it only works with the username that bought it, so you'd be selling off 4 duds to 4 soon-to-be-pissed-off people.[/QUOTE]

That part of it is fine with me...I was going to ask whether you need to be online with it if it's played on a different console than the one that downloaded it (that's the big flaw with Microsoft's DRM versus Steam), but I guess Warhawk is online only, so we wouldn't really know.

[quote name='blueweltall']Looking to upgrade my HDD. Whats a good reliable drive to get and who have the best price?[/QUOTE]

As mentioned, I'd personally go with Seagate as they tend to be unproblematic. Newegg's a great place to grab it from, but I think sometimes even Best Buy will have 2.5" drives in stock (I don't remember seeing any last time I was there though). With coupons or what not their price wouldn't be bad either.

[quote name='yukine']Pretty awesome, seems like the PS3 is much more open than 360/Wii.

Wii is so damn strict about copying data and so forth.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to ask about that on the Wii forum. I tried copying my Zelda save file onto my Wii, and it wouldn't work! They have DRM on save files! I mean what the heck?

okay when I play a PS2 game or play a DVD or whatever, my tv-->hdmi set up seems to go on and off, which I'm used to. Like it disconnects, then reconnects again for picture on my samsung hdtv.
Now the problem is, occasionally, the SIXAXIS will disconnect and turn off and I have to press the PS button to reconnect. Is this an issue or the norm?

[quote name='aznguyen316']okay when I play a PS2 game or play a DVD or whatever, my tv-->hdmi set up seems to go on and off, which I'm used to. Like it disconnects, then reconnects again for picture on my samsung hdtv.
Now the problem is, occasionally, the SIXAXIS will disconnect and turn off and I have to press the PS button to reconnect. Is this an issue or the norm?[/QUOTE]

The HDMI issue happens to me too, it's some sort of "rehandshaking" or something. As for the SixAxis disconnecting I've read that's an issue that's fairly widespread. I haven't had it happen to me though.

Just thought I'd let everyone know since there have been alot of DVI/HDMI questions of an alternative (This is mainly for monitors and people that don't have component or HDMI on their monitors)

After trying the HDMI->DVI cable and later finding out my monitor didn't support HDCP, I was trying to figure out how to go about hooking both my 360 and PS3 up simultaneously to my 22" LCD (using VGA on both). I was thinking of buying a mayflash VGA cable from play-asia but it didn't get great reviews. I was going to buy a VGA switch if I went this route but all items combined would have been about $100. I then decided to get the X2VGA. I got home late and decided to hook it up after I finished up some stuff. Basically, it has 2x component video inputs, 1x VGA input and 1x VGA output (to go to your LCD). So far it works great. Everything looks really great in 720p (however it does support up to 1080p). I should mention that my 360 is hooked up via VGA and PS3 is hooked up via component cables. It cost about $80 shipped and seems fantastic so far. It shipped from China via UPS on Friday and got here Today, Monday. So if your monitor doesn't support HDCP or component inputs, there is still a decently priced way to hook up your 360/PS3/GC/PS2/XBOX to your LCD. It should be noted that I don't think it can play games in 480i.

I'll update later tomorrow when I can test it out some more.

I always get the "Push PS Button" when starting and quiting a PS2 game. If you only get it occasionally, perhaps it's because of the software emulation of the 80.

[quote name='mguiddy']I always get the "Push PS Button" when starting and quiting a PS2 game. If you only get it occasionally, perhaps it's because of the software emulation of the 80.[/QUOTE]The 80GB is still partially hardware, but yeah, the bluetooth on the PS3 has to re-connect with some of the PS2 hardware regardless, so that's why you gotta do it. It can be annoying, but at least people can play PS2 games on their PS3 (if they do not have a 40GB).

no this wasn't a big deal, I was just curious b/c I remember hearing something about how some 60gbs I think had some problem with disconnecting controller and didn't know if this was what they were talking about.. since I have the 80gb.

Yeah, it is. When playing a PS1 game, this never happens. But for PS2 games, it always happens in my case. I really want to try an 80GB myself to see what happens, but I figured it still re-connected since I still haven't heard otherwise.

Like you may have also seen, it does sign you off on PSN when playing PS2 games.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The 80GB is still partially hardware, but yeah, the bluetooth on the PS3 has to re-connect with some of the PS2 hardware regardless, so that's why you gotta do it. It can be annoying, but at least people can play PS2 games on their PS3 (if they do not have a 40GB).[/quote]
Yeah, I was just speculating on why, maybe, aznguyen only does it sometimes.

And a lot of the "disconnecting controller" issues you have heard may have been where you'd be pushing left, then stop pushing left, but your character continues to move left for a second or two. Some people have gotten replacement controllers from Sony that fixed the issue and some people have said it's just interference blocking the signal from the controller saying "stop moving left", but I'm not too sure, as if it were just interference, a new button press/stick direction should cause a change, but it doesn't.

I have a quick question.

So I have the 60 gig ps3 and i tried to play ico, it looks like a mess and enjoyed it more on the ps2 with s-video connections, do you think its a better idea to just hook up the s-video to the ps3 and use that for ps2 games and hdmi for ps3/bluray stuff or mess with the setting for upscaling and such to get ps2 games to look better?

sugggestions on how to make it look better are appreciated too. (i know its a dead horse but beat away)

[quote name='chimpian']I have a quick question.

So I have the 60 gig ps3 and i tried to play ico, it looks like a mess and enjoyed it more on the ps2 with s-video connections, do you think its a better idea to just hook up the s-video to the ps3 and use that for ps2 games and hdmi for ps3/bluray stuff or mess with the setting for upscaling and such to get ps2 games to look better?

sugggestions on how to make it look better are appreciated too. (i know its a dead horse but beat away)[/QUOTE]If you hook up the PS3 exactly the same as you'd hook a PS2, you'd get the same results you would on PS2 (when played on an HDTV).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If you hook up the PS3 exactly the same as you'd hook a PS2, you'd get the same results you would on PS2 (when played on an HDTV).[/QUOTE]

does the ps3 output video to both the s-video and hdmi at the same time? IE do i have to change settings each time?

thanks

I figured someone or mana might know the answer to this. Why want a ipod play on the ps3? I assume it is cause it is linux based. Will they ever add a update or anything at all to be able to play one?

[quote name='jman619']I figured someone or mana might know the answer to this. Why want a ipod play on the ps3? I assume it is cause it is linux based. Will they ever add a update or anything at all to be able to play one?[/quote]
You can access music off an iPod with the PS3, you just have to have it "Display All" and browse to the "Music" directory. It won't display the tracks in a pretty fashion, but that's Sony/Apple's fault for not programing an "interface".

[quote name='chimpian']does the ps3 output video to both the s-video and hdmi at the same time? IE do i have to change settings each time?

thanks[/QUOTE]You would have to change the settings each time.

Quick question - can I do dual audio output (OPTICAL toslink + HDMI?)

That's what I do w/ my HD-DVD player since I like to use my TV as the center channel... PS3 does it right before asking me whether I want to output to HDMI, then it's one or the other.

We don't know yet, but I assume the bundle will be the same 80 GB that is currently available.

I was originally going to try and obtain a used 60 GB, but the MGS4 bundle just seems like way too good of a deal to pass up.

And I also really don't have that many PS2 games, and which ones I do have seem to be compatible with the 80 GB. I looked up all of my games via Sony's own Software Compatibility tool: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Ahh thanks for that link. I am going to wait for the MGS4 package too. It would be dumb to buy it now and miss out on getting MGS4, dualShock3, and 80GB hard drive. But i wouldnt mind keeping some classics like God of War/GTA games.

Biggest issue for God of War appears to be:

Description: During various FMV sequences throughout the title, the audio plays overlapped by static audio distortion.

It says God of War 2 is fine though, as well as all the Grand Theft Auto games. I think for the most part, the real popular games they will release a patch for to fix any issues. But don't expect them to fix games like "Silpheed" or something equally as obscure.

You know I am still at a loss as to why the PS3 will turn on from the PSP, but it supposedly cannot communicate directly with the PSP for the remote play, without using an access point....

Does it turn on with the Blu tooth when its local (in the same house) or something?

Anyone here return a 60GB to Sony recently...I called in on Friday for a coffin...they said about 10 buisness days. Just wondering what kind of actual time I should be expecting it to get here as well as the turnaround time.

[quote name='dragonsho']Do they constantly update the emulation for the 80gb or is what's working now be the only games that work forever?[/quote]

No. There hasn't been an overt update in months, and I don't think they are going to do any more personally. Though I read that in one of the recent patches they might have slipped an update for MGS3 in there for the recently released collection.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone here return a 60GB to Sony recently...I called in on Friday for a coffin...they said about 10 buisness days. Just wondering what kind of actual time I should be expecting it to get here as well as the turnaround time.[/QUOTE]
Take a look here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172183

and here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158724

Those are two threads I remember well at CAG.
[quote name='aznguyen316']^^ may I ask why it failed?[/QUOTE]It was dead on arrival when he got it.

Ok i'm ready to back up my ps3 and ps2 saves over to a hard drive for safe keeping. I'm only making back up copys tho!

does anyone recommend a good site or any methods on doing this? and good step by step instructions and warnings to look out for?

thanks. Really want to do this well since i have 500+ gaming hours on this thing

[quote name='shadylane']Ok i'm ready to back up my ps3 and ps2 saves over to a hard drive for safe keeping. I'm only making back up copys tho!

does anyone recommend a good site or any methods on doing this? and good step by step instructions and warnings to look out for?

thanks. Really want to do this well since i have 500+ gaming hours on this thing[/QUOTE]Are you looking to back-up to an external HDD for everything, USB flash/SD Card/Compact Flash/MS Pro for individual saves? If you choose external HDD, just do a system backup utility and everything will be backed up.

If you want to copy individual saves, just insert whatever storage device you want to save to (an external HDD or USB Flash must be FAT32 format), and copy over each PS1, PS2, and PS3 save individually (copy protected saves cannot be copied over using this method).

bread's done
Back