PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

got a PS3 yesterday and am now wondering where the cheapest place to get the hi-def cables is. I was at Gamestop and HDMI Cables were $80. Is there anything cheaper than this? Thanks for the help.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Are you looking to back-up to an external HDD for everything, USB flash/SD Card/Compact Flash/MS Pro for individual saves? If you choose external HDD, just do a system backup utility and everything will be backed up.

If you want to copy individual saves, just insert whatever storage device you want to save to (an external HDD or USB Flash must be FAT32 format), and copy over each PS1, PS2, and PS3 save individually (copy protected saves cannot be copied over using this method).[/QUOTE]

what is the difference between a system back up and individual files back up?

are only ps3 games copy protected? and any way around getting those games backed up?

thanks

[quote name='shadylane']what is the difference between a system back up and individual files back up?

are only ps3 games copy protected? and any way around getting those games backed up?

thanks[/quote]
A system back up backs up everything on the hard drive.
Individual file back up is... individual. It only backs up what you manually copy.
Only some PS3 save files are protected and the only way around the protection is to do a system back up.

Errr... This says that
Copy-protected data cannot be restored. Also, saved data that has been restored may not be usable in some games.

I wouldn't be happy if something happened to my system and I lost my saved games because of this. Anyone actually backup copy protected save data and then restore it to a different PS3?

[quote name='shadylane']fuck! i know ninja gaiden is one game...any others?[/quote]

I think Vegas 2 is protected which sucks because you can kiss all your EXP and ranks goodbye.

[quote name='The 7th Number']hmmm 4 bucks does seem a lot better than 80. :D[/quote]
I like to spend a couple of extra bucks on their premium cables:

3 foot
6 foot
10 foot

because they look nice and I hate ferrite cores. They're overkill (the previous link will DEFINITELY get the job done no problem), but hey, what's $15? :)

[quote name='shadylane']fuck! i know ninja gaiden is one game...any others?[/QUOTE]Did you try playing Sigma on the same account name, because that's a game that will work on your account, but if you transfer to another, it will not play on another. I believe that because I tried playing it on my friend's PS3 and couldn't load it.

So there's some kind of DRM on (some) of the PS3's save files too? I just got done reading about the ridiculous Wii DRM, and the 360 does something wacky too. Given that the Playstation Portable doesn't have those issues, I was hoping at least the 3 didn't either.

[quote name='Wolfpup']So there's some kind of DRM on (some) of the PS3's save files too? I just got done reading about the ridiculous Wii DRM, and the 360 does something wacky too. Given that the Playstation Portable doesn't have those issues, I was hoping at least the 3 didn't either.[/QUOTE]Most all games are as easy as the PSP, but some have some security since the devs don't want people to cheat or anything.

[quote name='anomynous']That's what I was thinking...........[/quote]

You can always use a USB card reader though.

[quote name='Oxygen']You can always use a USB card reader though.[/QUOTE]

I was just interested because of mods in UT3,still don't know if I'm gonna get a 60 GB or 40 GB

[quote name='anomynous']I was just interested because of mods in UT3,still don't know if I'm gonna get a 60 GB or 40 GB[/QUOTE]If you have a PSP, you might be able to use that.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If you have a PSP, you might be able to use that.[/QUOTE]

I do, it's just I want a 60 GB, but don't know if it's really worth the extra money, since BC is THAT important to me.

There's about 5 PS2 games I would like to play though

EDIT: Just ordered the 40 GB from Amazon Warehouse deals for $360

Appreciate the answer to my dual audio output question - next few questions:

1) For PS2 games, can the PS3 stretch the game out to wide screen? Kinda annoying to only use part of the screen 4:3 on an LCD =/

2) Was the bluetooth disconnecting controller fixed w/ 2.2 update? Cuz I was playing Rogue Galaxy yesterday (which btw is awesome), and the controller disconnected - resulting in me having to move and sit in front of the tv w/ a short ass usb cable attached =P

1) yes you can stretch it. either press the PS button and go to other options and change the screen from there or you can default it in your PS3 settings.. forget exactly where.

[quote name='anomynous']I do, it's just I want a 60 GB, but don't know if it's really worth the extra money, since BC is THAT important to me.

There's about 5 PS2 games I would like to play though

EDIT: Just ordered the 40 GB from Amazon Warehouse deals for $360[/quote]

I assume you meant "not THAT important to me."

Otherwise, you're going to be really angry when you try to play a PS2 game in it. :lol:

does anybody knows exactly if backing your hard drive up through the back up utlity of the ps3 creates 1 file on the hard drive or mulitple folders within sub folders with the gamesaves all organized within?

[quote name='nikkai']Appreciate the answer to my dual audio output question - next few questions:

1) For PS2 games, can the PS3 stretch the game out to wide screen? Kinda annoying to only use part of the screen 4:3 on an LCD =/

2) Was the bluetooth disconnecting controller fixed w/ 2.2 update? Cuz I was playing Rogue Galaxy yesterday (which btw is awesome), and the controller disconnected - resulting in me having to move and sit in front of the tv w/ a short ass usb cable attached =P[/quote]

1) Yes... but it doesn't stretch the game all the way to the edges. It still leaves a small band on either side. Though I think I've read that some firmware revisions stretch the game all the way to the edge.

2) Do you mean the "I stopped pushing left, WHY ARE YOU STILL MOVING LEFT!! :bomb:" problem? If so no clue, but I doubt it as it seems like its a problem with older controllers. Many have said the DS3 or a new sixaxis fixes that problem.

I've been playing God of War on my 80gb and I noticed sometimes it's either slow on button presses I think or it will take a second before I can move at certain points, I'm not sure if it's meant to in game or if it's something from my controller o_O

I have a question about sending messages. A cag added me to their list tonight, and I wanted to send them a message to thank them, but after I spelled "cag" and hit the triangle button, it deleted the "ag". I had this same problem when trying to spell "kane and lynch" a few weeks ago, and I eventually gave up in frustration. What the hell is the problem?

Okay, guys and gals, time for me to throw my hat into this epic thread!

As you can see in my sig, my free PS3 (80 GB + game) is ready to pop -- but an unexpected opportunity has presented itself!

I stumbled across a 60GB PS3 at a local independent retail store that has been sitting behind the counter collecting dust since launch and still is. The price tag is $450...figure an even $500 with tax.

Is it still worth my while to get this with my 80 Gig PS3 on the way? I actually have about $150 in store credit there that I can put toward it. I can sell the new PS3 on here or on CraigsList at under retail (would $475 be a good asking price?) to put towards the purchase of the 60 gig -- but would you say its worth the hassle?

I have an HDTV with HDMI and a 360 w/HD-DVD, and I'm mainly getting this for the Blu-Ray Player (not because HD folded, but because Blu Ray won the second LOST came out on that format). It is probably going to be secondary or even tertiary for gaming; right now I'm adoring my 360 and Wii, but most of my backlog is on my still-connected fat PS2.

Are there any other features besides the hardware BC that the PS3 is missing? It is an important feature to me, but I'm not sure how much that feature is worth money and hassle wise. I actually have a lot of trouble playing PSX and certain PS2 games games in my PS2 with component cables (majorly distorted picture -- does anyone else have this problem?) and hope that it may be remedied using HDMI in the PS3. There's also a media reader, wifi, and more USB ports in the 60 gig, correct?

And while I am a little disheartened about not getting a free game or Blu-Ray or anything...I don't play racing games besides Mario Kart. Oh, and is that 5-free-BluRay promo still going on?

Something that would be awesome in the OP is a breakdown of the eight million SKUs for this and their general retail and secondary price points.

Thanks, everyone!

P.S. I am intrigued by the idea of using it as a media center regardless...how does http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148310 look as far as a replacement hard drive goes? And its easy to do, no special preparations?

And the remote -- worth the $25? Or should I try to find it on sale somewhere (I *do* have credit there...but also some at Best Buy, too)

[quote name='Squall835']I have a question about sending messages. A cag added me to their list tonight, and I wanted to send them a message to thank them, but after I spelled "cag" and hit the triangle button, it deleted the "ag". I had this same problem when trying to spell "kane and lynch" a few weeks ago, and I eventually gave up in frustration. What the hell is the problem?[/QUOTE]Press L1 and R1 to move the cursor I think, and that will add the letters back. Square button deletes.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']
Are there any other features besides the hardware BC that the PS3 is missing? It is an important feature to me, but I'm not sure how much that feature is worth money and hassle wise. I actually have a lot of trouble playing PSX and certain PS2 games games in my PS2 with component cables (majorly distorted picture -- does anyone else have this problem?) and hope that it may be remedied using HDMI in the PS3. There's also a media reader, wifi, and more USB ports in the 60 gig, correct?
[/quote]
The 80GB is not missing any of those things. It has the card readers, WiFi, and 4 USB ports (like the 60GB). The only difference in the backwards compatibility is that it lacks the CPU (Emotion Engine) which is emulated in software. The graphics chip (Graphics Synthesizer) is there in hardware. This means pretty good compatibility for your PS2 games. All PS1 games play on all PS3s since PS1 play is done thru software emulation. Check the PS3 Compatibility Status Page for the PS2 games you want to play. It really depends on the game.

And while I am a little disheartened about not getting a free game or Blu-Ray or anything...I don't play racing games besides Mario Kart. Oh, and is that 5-free-BluRay promo still going on?
[/quote]
According to the website, the offer has expired.

P.S. I am intrigued by the idea of using it as a media center regardless...how does http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148310 look as far as a replacement hard drive goes? And its easy to do, no special preparations?
[/quote]
That drive looks fine. Replacing the hard drive is easy. Take the cover off the side, unscrew the tray, put in the new drive, put it back together. There is a guide here, and numerous YouTube videos to show you how. You would want to back stuff up, but since the PS3 is new, there is nothing to backup (like saves, music, videos, et cetera).

And the remote -- worth the $25? Or should I try to find it on sale somewhere (I *do* have credit there...but also some at Best Buy, too)[/quote]

I imagine if you watch movies a lot, it might be useful. I have always used a controller and been fine with it. I have seen it on sale once (for $20), but that was a long time ago.

-- Oxygen

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Press L1 and R1 to move the cursor I think, and that will add the letters back. Square button deletes.[/quote]

I've tried that, and it still would delete what I'm trying to type.

Hey SLIMGATSBY..

here's my opinion. If you can get the receipt for your 80gb from Trainn, then I'd keep it. It's not worth the hassle IMO for the 60gb unless there is definately a game you wanted to play on PS2 that the 80gb cannot handle. I was looking into 60gbs from gamefunk but opted to get an 80gb. I love it, the 20gb extra space is nice and even though 60gb has hardware BC, I don't think it's worth the trouble JUST for that, when 80gb can do mostly the same. Also I've heard more issues with 60gbs than 80gb, although few problems in general, more 60gbs seem to be refurbed. Also, look up fan noise and heat, I dunno, I just heard better things about the 80gb. This is purely my opinion, and I did a lot of research before investing in the 80gb and HAVE NO REGRETS. My 80gb was used.. but I got a receipt for it w/ Sony warranty until nov 09. Now if you can't get a receipt, go for the 60gb no doubt lol

Warhawk ISSUE:

I just rented Warhawk to play and needed to update to 1.20.. so I do it and something with the install failed and they ask for me to try again. I accidently cancel it, so it tells me to quit out. Now when I try to load up warhawk (via disc) it just goes to a black screen and does nothing. I've tried a couple times over. help?

Thanks...i ended up going with the 60 gig, because my PSX and PS2 collection are both in the triple digits so backwards compatibility is pretty important to me. I don't have a single PS3 game, just LOST on Blu-Ray and a ton of media to stream from my PC.

Blu ray is beautiful, but one question --

I recall hearing at some point that you could pop a PSX game in the PS3 and either copy it to the HD or send it to the PSP from there. Is that actually true or am I just crazy? If it is, that means far less disc swapping with my copious numbers of PSX games.

Pretty sure there's a deal going on right now that gets you a free remote for your PS3 if you buy one before April, or something like that.

Ask TMK.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I recall hearing at some point that you could pop a PSX game in the PS3 and either copy it to the HD or send it to the PSP from there. Is that actually true or am I just crazy? If it is, that means far less disc swapping with my copious numbers of PSX games.[/QUOTE]
Not true. If you buy a PSX game from the PS Store, though, you can play it on either system.

Anyone have any recommendations for a wireless access device for a 20gb ps3? (I have wireless in the home for some computers so I have a network) I have it hard wired for online gaming but I wanted to play around with the psp/ps3 combination and I would assume the ps3 would have to connect to a wireless network to do that.

Is your wired network not attached to your wireless for some reason? Most people's are. IF the PSP can connect to a PS3 via any wireless connection (and not solely through an ad-hoc connection directly between the devices), then this should be fine. I say if, because I don't have a PSP so I don't have any idea how it actually works.

[quote name='geko29']Is your wired network not attached to your wireless for some reason? Most people's are. IF the PSP can connect to a PS3 via any wireless connection (and not solely through an ad-hoc connection directly between the devices), then this should be fine. I say if, because I don't have a PSP so I don't have any idea how it actually works.[/QUOTE]

I have been sick so my brain is kind of muddled but my cable connection comes into basement where I have a cable modem and a Linksys wireless router. Off the wireless router I ran some CAT cable up to the main floor where I have two wired routers. The PS3 is than connected to that 2nd router so maybe I am tired but I don't think that allows the ps3 access to the wireless network with using the cable into the back of it (20gb without built in wireless)

I was thinking of just grabbing a USB wireless access point and plugging that in but wanted to see what people had done in the past.

I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 since I want a blu-ray player. The new bundle released in June, is it going to have backwards compatibility with PS2 again? Should I just wait until then?

Yeah, the 80GB does have BC. The only PS3 that doesn't is the 40GB.

It's still going to BC by emulation though, so you'll lose some compatibility with PS2 games. But I feel it's going to be the best deal for a PS3 so I'm waiting for it.

And if you're like me and getting the MGS4 LE you can always sell the regular copy of MGS4 to someone and that'll help pay for the cost of the LE.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 since I want a blu-ray player. The new bundle released in June, is it going to have backwards compatibility with PS2 again? Should I just wait until then?[/quote]
Yes, it's a standard 80GB PS3, which will play most PS2 games, but not all. Check here for specific games. It's a good deal to get a brand new game and the new Dual Shock 3 for the same price as the standard 80GB PS3's.

Looks like those from Arizona have taken over the thread. :D

Do you still have to buy the memory adapter for PS2 saves, and if so how much is it?

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 since I want a blu-ray player. The new bundle released in June, is it going to have backwards compatibility with PS2 again? Should I just wait until then?[/QUOTE]

I think buying a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player makes a lot of sense. They keep updating it to do all of things that new blu-ray players can do. Very smart of Sony for including this in their system. I know people who are snatching this up just so they can watch Blu-Ray movies on their HDTVs.

[quote name='yukine']

Do you still have to buy the memory adapter for PS2 saves, and if so how much is it?[/QUOTE]The memory card adapter is only needed to transfer PS1 and PS2 saves to the PS3 HDD (you copy them to virtual PS1/PS2 memory cards), and from the PS3 HDD to a PS1/PS2 memory card. You are required to copy the data saves to the HDD since they don't directly read from the memory card reader. It's only $15 and a great purchase (I got one when I first got my PS3).
[quote name='Richlough']So I guess there's no iPod support on the PS3 .

Any workarounds for this ?[/QUOTE]PS3 and 360 owners are different in this way. Most 360 owners are more likely to stream media or plug in their iPod to listen to MP3s. PS3 owners are more likely to have a large HDD and will directly copy all their favorite MP3s to their console.

bread's done
Back