PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='Halo05']Sounds like you have component inputs. Are there five colors? (White, red, magenta, blue, green)[/quote]

yeah. 5 different colored plugs

I finally decided to the next gen. I ordered a 60 gig off of gamefunk (wish I would have seen the original deal :cry:) and it's supposed to get here around the 2nd. I had to get it since I want full BC.

I was wanting some general advice on getting one setup, accessories, and anything else I might want to know. Is there anything I should take special care with since this is a used ps3?

One of the next things I'm going to have to save for is a new TV in my room. My Toshiba tube TV is around 14". It does have component though. I've been running my PS2, Xbox, and GC on that. How playable will ps3 games be on that? The ps1/ps2 stuff should run the same though. I'm probably going to want to look for a TV between 20" and 32". My bedroom at my parents' house isn't that big and a big set isn't good when you're around four or five feet away from the TV.

I was also wondering about the cooling on the 60 gig model. Are there any special precautions I need to do in taking care of this system?

Another concern of mine is dust. I already know that the exterior is a dust magnet. I'm talking about the interior. My room is really dusty. Should just use some of the canned air on it every once in a while or maybe get something to cover it while I'm not using it? I'm assuming this thing is going to move the second most amount of air around for cooling behind my PC and that gets really dusty inside.

I do have a question on games. Are there any good games $25 or under I should look for? I don't have much money at the moment. I'm actually paying for this through ebaying extra stuff from my collection. All the garage saling is paying off again.

[quote name='erehwon']I finally decided to the next gen. I ordered a 60 gig off of gamefunk (wish I would have seen the original deal :cry:) and it's supposed to get here around the 2nd. I had to get it since I want full BC.

I was wanting some general advice on getting one setup, accessories, and anything else I might want to know. Is there anything I should take special care with since this is a used ps3?

One of the next things I'm going to have to save for is a new TV in my room. My Toshiba tube TV is around 14". It does have component though. I've been running my PS2, Xbox, and GC on that. How playable will ps3 games be on that? The ps1/ps2 stuff should run the same though. I'm probably going to want to look for a TV between 20" and 32". My bedroom at my parents' house isn't that big and a big set isn't good when you're around four or five feet away from the TV.

I was also wondering about the cooling on the 60 gig model. Are there any special precautions I need to do in taking care of this system?

Another concern of mine is dust. I already know that the exterior is a dust magnet. I'm talking about the interior. My room is really dusty. Should just use some of the canned air on it every once in a while or maybe get something to cover it while I'm not using it? I'm assuming this thing is going to move the second most amount of air around for cooling behind my PC and that gets really dusty inside.

I do have a question on games. Are there any good games $25 or under I should look for? I don't have much money at the moment. I'm actually paying for this through ebaying extra stuff from my collection. All the garage saling is paying off again.[/QUOTE]Hey, glad to see someone who lives near me is finally getting a PS3. ;)

As far as accessories are concerned, here are some I feel which are very important:
-HDMI cable from monoprice.com if you have an HDTV (or you can use PS2/PS3 component cables, since the console comes with composite cables).
-Memory card adapter, if you want to transfer PS1/PS2 saves to your PS3 (so you can use them) and back to the memory card.
-USB or Bluetooth headset if you plan to play games online that support it.
-USB or Bluetooth keyboard for typing messages, entering information, etc. is usually good. Any USB Keyboard will work.
-If you plan to use your PS3 extensively for media, the Blu-ray/DVD remote is great.
-You MIGHT want more USB 2.0 cables or longer USB 2.0 cables than what comes with the PS3, since you'll need them to charge controllers, connect PSP to PS3 (if you have a PSP), connect memory card adapter, etc.

PS3 stuff will display on an SDTV, but as a warning, some games may have hard to read text or a bit jaggy due to being designed for an HDTV. PS1/PS2 stuff plays just like it would on a PS2, if you play on an SDTV.

With the 60GB console, just be careful with it and you should be all right. Try to keep it well ventalated and dusting it every once in a while is good (PS3 is like a dust magnet). The 60GB PS3 does get very hot, but rarely there's an overheating issue. I'll let others help you with a TV. ;) As long as your PS3 isn't dusty like that one PS3 a while ago, you should be fine.

As for cheap PS3 games (I'm going to say $30 or under at least, for now):
Folklore (if you can find it for the cheap price)
Ridge Racer 7
Virtua Fighter 5 (It may lack online, but still very good)

There are a bunch of good downloads on PSN which can be bought cheap too.

I'll let others help you with a TV, since I'm not really a good person to ask when selecting a TV.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Hey, glad to see someone who lives near me is finally getting a PS3. ;)

As far as accessories are concerned, here are some I feel which are very important:
-HDMI cable from monoprice.com if you have an HDTV (or you can use PS2/PS3 component cables, since the console comes with composite cables).
-Memory card adapter, if you want to transfer PS1/PS2 saves to your PS3 (so you can use them) and back to the memory card.
-USB or Bluetooth headset if you plan to play games online that support it.
-USB or Bluetooth keyboard for typing messages, entering information, etc. is usually good. Any USB Keyboard will work.
-If you plan to use your PS3 extensively for media, the Blu-ray/DVD remote is great.
-You MIGHT want more USB 2.0 cables or longer USB 2.0 cables than what comes with the PS3, since you'll need them to charge controllers, connect PSP to PS3 (if you have a PSP), connect memory card adapter, etc.

PS3 stuff will display on an SDTV, but as a warning, some games may have hard to read text or a bit jaggy due to being designed for an HDTV. PS1/PS2 stuff plays just like it would on a PS2, if you play on an SDTV.

With the 60GB console, just be careful with it and you should be all right. Try to keep it well ventalated and dusting it every once in a while is good (PS3 is like a dust magnet). The 60GB PS3 does get very hot, but rarely there's an overheating issue. I'll let others help you with a TV. ;) As long as your PS3 isn't dusty like that one PS3 a while ago, you should be fine.

As for cheap PS3 games (I'm going to say $30 or under at least, for now):
Folklore (if you can find it for the cheap price)
Ridge Racer 7
Virtua Fighter 5 (It may lack online, but still very good)

There are a bunch of good downloads on PSN which can be bought cheap too.

I'll let others help you with a TV, since I'm not really a good person to ask when selecting a TV.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Of the accessories you mentioned, I really only need the mem card adapter. I know we have extra hdmi cables for when I upgrade the TV. We should have some extra USB 2.0 cables, though I'll have to search through our box of extra cables. I don't use online much for consoles, so I don't need the headset or keyboard. I play mostly RPGs on consoles.

I really shouldn't do too much looking into TVs. It's going to be a little bit before I can afford one. I was really only mentioning my current TV to see if there might be any issues playing ps3 games on it. I do wonder if there are any good PC monitors out there that could do the job of a TV. I noticed the bigger monitors I was looking at on newegg were cheaper than some LCD TVs of similar size. This approach would also have the benefit of giving me a dual monitor set up on my PC once I want to get a real tv :).

[quote name='kklems']I have been sick so my brain is kind of muddled but my cable connection comes into basement where I have a cable modem and a Linksys wireless router. Off the wireless router I ran some CAT cable up to the main floor where I have two wired routers. The PS3 is than connected to that 2nd router so maybe I am tired but I don't think that allows the ps3 access to the wireless network with using the cable into the back of it (20gb without built in wireless)

I was thinking of just grabbing a USB wireless access point and plugging that in but wanted to see what people had done in the past.[/quote]
You should only have one router in your house. The devices on the main floor should be SWITCHES, not routers. If that is the case, then everything in your house should be able to talk to one another.

If you really do have three routers in your house, go buy two switches (they're cheap!) and eBay your routers. You'll probably come out ahead.

So my PS3 might be here tomorrow, but probably Tuesday.

So when I 1st turn on the PS3 for the first time, if I have the HDMI cable plugged in, will it automatically go through that?

[quote name='anomynous']So my PS3 might be here tomorrow, but probably Tuesday.

So when I 1st turn on the PS3 for the first time, if I have the HDMI cable plugged in, will it automatically go through that?[/QUOTE]Yes, it will tell you it detected an HDMI cable. Be sure to say "Yes" a few times and it will set it up to the maximum resolution your TV supports.

[quote name='yukine']Hmm... USB cables for charging controllers? PS3 controllers have their own rechargeable battery? :shock:[/QUOTE]Yes. I normally use my PC USB ports to charge my controllers too (although it works by using the PS3 console too).

The more I research about the PS3 the more little features I find out about that only makes me want the console more.

Can't wait for June, I have the cash now but I want that damn bundle.

[quote name='yukine']The more I research about the PS3 the more little features I find out about that only makes me want the console more.

Can't wait for June, I have the cash now but I want that damn bundle.[/QUOTE]Lol, I could probably list 20+ features about PS3 you didn't know about. ;) One is being able to remotely play PS1 disc based games from your PS3 console, to your PSP via remote play, from anywhere (basically, it's like you stream your PS3 to the PSP).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Lol, I could probably list 20+ features about PS3 you didn't know about. ;) One is being able to remotely play PS1 disc based games from your PS3 console, to your PSP via remote play, from anywhere (basically, it's like you stream your PS3 to the PSP).[/QUOTE]
I also learned today that you can play PixelJunk Monsters via remote play! What other games are like that?

[quote name='torifile']I also learned today that you can play PixelJunk Monsters via remote play! What other games are like that?[/QUOTE]Lair is like that and PS1 games. I cannot remember if anything else is that way off the top of my head.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Lair is like that and PS1 games. I cannot remember if anything else is that way off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]
I just checked wikipedia:

Games/Software which are playable/useable through Remote Play include:
Lair (video game)
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition
Aqua Vita (Aquatopia in the United States)
Mainichi Issho (Japanese Game)
Imabikisou
PixelJunk Monsters (PSN game)
Folding@Home (Software)
Playstation 1 Games

About remote play: do I have to be in remote play mode on the PS3 in order to access it? I can't do it from my PSP? That seems like kind of a pain. What if I forgot to put the PS3 in remote play mode before I leave the house or something? Am I missing something?

[quote name='erehwon']One of the next things I'm going to have to save for is a new TV in my room. My Toshiba tube TV is around 14". It does have component though. I've been running my PS2, Xbox, and GC on that. How playable will ps3 games be on that?[/quote]

My guess is barely at all. I haven't used a Playstation 3 on an SDTV, but I can tell you the 360 is barely useable on one. Some games kind of are, but most text is basically illegibal. I'd assume the Playstation 3 is the same way.

I think the TV or PC monitor is a requirement BEFORE getting the system, personally. Some people disagree, but they also make claims like "you don't need to read text to play a game!"

But if you've got a decent computer monitor, you can just use that instead of the SDTV.

Might want to check out Gamefly too to play games cheaper. I don't think there are too many games below $20 yet (although Virtua Fighter 5 is listed at that price in this week's Circuit City ad). I think there are some other games that have been clearanced out at Toy's R Us that might work, if they're still available. That one RPG whose name I forget has been $20 everywhere for a while, but I'm not sure that it's supposed to be all that great (okay reviews though).

Wasn't remote play always there for the poker game TMK?
I remember people posting that it worked when the game launched.
The last update allowed for the cams to work with it.

Okay so I am thinking about jumping into PS3. My wife has expressed interest in blu-ray and that is mainly what I will be using it for. The occasional game maybe, but I have an xbox 360 that most my friends have.
My question is: Do you have to buy PS3 component cables or do any component cables work? The tv I have does not have HDMI.
Also is blu-ray remote a necessary purchase?
Thanks
Didn't want to search 70+ pages of stuff

[quote name='dougstill']Okay so I am thinking about jumping into PS3. My wife has expressed interest in blu-ray and that is mainly what I will be using it for. The occasional game maybe, but I have an xbox 360 that most my friends have.
My question is: Do you have to buy PS3 component cables or do any component cables work? The tv I have does not have HDMI.
Thanks
Didn't want to search 70+ pages of stuff[/quote]

PS3 specific component cables are necessary but a Blu-ray remote is not, the controller will be able to control what a remote would.

[quote name='dougstill']Okay so I am thinking about jumping into PS3. My wife has expressed interest in blu-ray and that is mainly what I will be using it for. The occasional game maybe, but I have an xbox 360 that most my friends have.
Thanks
Didn't want to search 70+ pages of stuff[/QUOTE]Just as a warning, by using component cables, you cannot do DVD upscaling.

I agree, Wolfpup. I bought my HDTV before I got a 360. But I guess it just depends on whether or not you want to take full advantage of what the current generation systems offer.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Might want to check out Gamefly too to play games cheaper. I don't think there are too many games below $20 yet (although Virtua Fighter 5 is listed at that price in this week's Circuit City ad). I think there are some other games that have been clearanced out at Toy's R Us that might work, if they're still available. That one RPG whose name I forget has been $20 everywhere for a while, but I'm not sure that it's supposed to be all that great (okay reviews though).[/quote]

Enchanted Arms.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Lol, I could probably list 20+ features about PS3 you didn't know about. ;) One is being able to remotely play PS1 disc based games from your PS3 console, to your PSP via remote play, from anywhere (basically, it's like you stream your PS3 to the PSP).[/quote]

Educate me plz.

[quote name='aznguyen316']PS3 specific component cables are necessary but a Blu-ray remote is not, the controller will be able to control what a remote would.[/QUOTE]

Also the component cables it uses are the same ones the Playstation 2 used, if you have those.

Ok, I got my 40 GB PS3 today, and there's only 31 GBs available. I know some of it is used for formatting, but 9 GBs? Is this right?

[quote name='anomynous']Ok, I got my 40 GB PS3 today, and there's only 31 GBs available. I know some of it is used for formatting, but 9 GBs? Is this right?[/QUOTE]Don't worry about it, it's fine. The PS3 HDD formating is quite weird (due to being FAT 32). I mean, my 20GB was like 15GB out of 18GB available when I got it.

I was just wondering. Also how do you download themes directly from the PS3 browser?

When I try to do it it says please select storage device.....

I'm not too sure because I usually download themes from my computer, put them on my USB flash drive within the folder: PS3 -> Theme, and then I install them to my PS3. Someone should be able to help with getting them when using the web browser.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Maybe this question belongs in Blu Ray section, but is there a way to have the ps3 remember your place in a movie?[/quote]
I thought with the latest firmware it did that automatically.

Got a tricky situation here. Say I'm in a gamesharing group with 4 other people (total of 5), so the maximum number of ps3's that can share downloads, and I want to replace my hard drive. I use the backup utility to save everything on the old hd and restore it on this new drive .

Does this new hard drive count as a new ps3 towards the DL limit so I would be SOL on getting all those downloads back and any future downloads with that account?

I doubt anyone has run into this situation, but was hoping I could get an answer. Internet research has not provided me with a clear one.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Got a tricky situation here. Say I'm in a gamesharing group with 4 other people (total of 5), so the maximum number of ps3's that can share downloads, and I want to replace my hard drive. I use the backup utility to save everything on the old hd and restore it on this new drive .

Does this new hard drive count as a new ps3 towards the DL limit so I would be SOL on getting all those downloads back and any future downloads with that account?

I doubt anyone has run into this situation, but was hoping I could get an answer. Internet research has not provided me with a clear one.[/QUOTE]GAF had a long explanation comparing the DRM on each console/Steam, and I believe it was told games can be downloaded an unlimited number of times to one user account (although you are limited to 5 shares), but I gotta look it up again.

I got off the phone with Sony just now about the odd graphical errors I've been getting (pink smoke in CoD4?!). I thought I mentioned them here...

Anyway, the guy sounded really tried and didn't really want to help me figure out what it could be. I REALLY dislike sending it in not knowing what is wrong thinking I could fix it myself, but I'm just weird. $150 for replacement whee.

I'm going to take pictures/video though in case someone figures it out and it might help people in the future. I think it is a heating problem. The image in Assassin's Creed looks like my computer when I overclocked my graphic card without the proper cooling.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I got off the phone with Sony just now about the odd graphical errors I've been getting (pink smoke in CoD4?!). I thought I mentioned them here...

Anyway, the guy sounded really tried and didn't really want to help me figure out what it could be. I REALLY dislike sending it in not knowing what is wrong thinking I could fix it myself, but I'm just weird. $150 for replacement whee.

I'm going to take pictures/video though in case someone figures it out and it might help people in the future. I think it is a heating problem. The image in Assassin's Creed looks like my computer when I overclocked my graphic card without the proper cooling.[/QUOTE]

Just curious....is it happening immediately, or after some period of play time. It could be similar to your overclocking problem, ie, improper cooling. Maybe your system is just dusty and could use a good cleaning.

I'm not all that technical and no nothing about PS3 repair, but I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

[quote name='jdawgg76']I thought these were supposed to be the standard $49.99?[/quote]

No, that was just an Amazon deal.

>>>
[quote name='tholly']Just curious....is it happening immediately, or after some period of play time. It could be similar to your overclocking problem, ie, improper cooling. Maybe your system is just dusty and could use a good cleaning.

I'm not all that technical and no nothing about PS3 repair, but I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.[/quote]

No it slowly builds over time. No glitches for a few minutes, then I see more and more as time goes by.

I'm not technical either, but I think it could be dusty too.

Only thing is, it is tough to get air into it. I used a automatic air pump to dust what I could, but without opening it up I can't get at it all. I don't want to break the warranty seal even though it is out of warranty in case Sony won't take it back if I end up needing to do the replacement. Any suggestions?

I found my 4 port USB hub last night that has ports for old keyboards and mice. Turns out, my PS3 recognizes my old keyboard and my USB mouse through the hub. Kinda surprised me but I was pleased.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']GAF had a long explanation comparing the DRM on each console/Steam, and I believe it was told games can be downloaded an unlimited number of times to one user account (although you are limited to 5 shares), but I gotta look it up again.[/QUOTE]

Woah...does that mean to an unlimited number of consoles, like Steam (but allowing you to use content without beying online, unlike X-Box Live)? If so, that's fantastic, as it means Sony's system is just as good as Steam-arguably better, and WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than what Microsoft and Nintendo are doing.

I'll actually consider buying stuff from them if that's the case! I thought it was tied to just 5 consoles (which is why some people are stealing games by "sharing" them-it's not supposed to be a share, it's that it authorized it to up to 5 consoles...I just want it to be able to authorize to a single console, but as many times as I need for if I get a new system or it dies or whatever).

What are some PS2 games that look good in HD? I was thinking about trying SOTC on my parent's HDTV. I'm going to be sticking with ps2 games for awhile since ps3 games are still pretty expensive at the moment. That and most of the ones I want aren't making an appearance till this summer or later.

[quote name='mguiddy']Who cleaned up this thread?
It isn't sticky anymore... get it, sticky == dirty. #-o:roll:
[/quote]Linkin's doing some clean-up. He's created a thread that has links to most-viewed/used threads like this one. All you have to do is go to that one and click the appropriate thread.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Linkin's doing some clean-up. He's created a thread that has links to most-viewed/used threads like this one. All you have to do is go to that one and click the appropriate thread.[/quote]
I didn't notice that new thread at the top.
Meh, I can see that making things tidier, but it makes it more difficult to see if there are new posts. Those type of "index" threads are really only useful if they are a "LOOK HERE FIRST NEWBIES" type of post. Oh well. No more discussion of that/this here. :D

bread's done
Back