PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

I'm trying to buy a PS2 to PS3 USB adaptor from ebay, but a lot of them say they only allow you to use the PS2 controllers on PS3 games, but they are not compatible with PS2 games.
ebay auctions

What brand of usb adaptors are you guys using that allows you to use the PS2 guitars with the games GH1, 2, and 80s Edition on your PS3?

I made my own account but it would not let me sign in. It says " can not log on another user id "

also how can you change the user friends list name of urs

since I want to change the game name to my own instead of the regular name it was on the ps3.

[EDIT]

NEVERMIND I got it :)

[quote name='endlessPRO']thank you ;0[/QUOTE]Or just go to the PS Store and download official themes. That's usually what I prefer to do because most are more professional IMO.

Also, you can download themes on your computer, copy them onto a USB flash drive on the folders PS3 -> THEME, and install them on the PS3. That's what I prefer doing.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Or just go to the PS Store and download official themes. That's usually what I prefer to do because most are more professional IMO.

Also, you can download themes on your computer, copy them onto a USB flash drive on the folders PS3 -> THEME, and install them on the PS3. That's what I prefer doing.[/QUOTE]

You can download themes from the PS Store? Where are those located? I don't remember seeing those.

Also, do you know if the mem card adapter is only a one way device? I was wondering if it only copies the card to the ps3 or if it could write to the mem card as well?

[quote name='erehwon']You can download themes from the PS Store? Where are those located? I don't remember seeing those.

Also, do you know if the mem card adapter is only a one way device? I was wondering if it only copies the card to the ps3 or if it could write to the mem card as well?[/QUOTE]It's hard to find on an SDTV, since the PS Store only displays three items per page (unlike HDTVs which display 10). You have to press the right arrow several times until you reach the last or 2nd to last page. You'll see folder for PSP content, wallpaper, and you'll see one for themes.

If you lived on my side of town (and you didn't buy it), I'd let you borrow one of mine (I have two memory card adapters, since one was given to me for free due to GS not noticing it in the pocket of the PS3 case I bought).

As for the memory card adapter, before Firmware 1.8, you could only copy from the memory card adapter to the PS3 HDD (could not copy back to memory card). Now you can copy data saves to HDD, and from HDD to memory card. Hope that helps. :)

[quote name='geko29']TRUTH! And a decent dual-core box puts out significantly more points per day than a PS3 does, while using about half the electricity. With Quad Cores there's no comparison. Of course, everyone should run both. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got it on 7 systems so far, and I guess I'll run it some on my PS3 once I get one (not sure I can justify the power bill though if that's all it's doing :( )

Hope they get it running on Nvidia hardware sooner or later too :)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's hard to find on an SDTV, since the PS Store only displays three items per page (unlike HDTVs which display 10). You have to press the right arrow several times until you reach the last or 2nd to last page. You'll see folder for PSP content, wallpaper, and you'll see one for themes.

If you lived on my side of town (and you didn't buy it), I'd let you borrow one of mine (I have two memory card adapters, since one was given to me for free due to GS not noticing it in the pocket of the PS3 case I bought).

As for the memory card adapter, before Firmware 1.8, you could only copy from the memory card adapter to the PS3 HDD (could not copy back to memory card). Now you can copy data saves to HDD, and from HDD to memory card. Hope that helps. :)[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. I already have the memory card adapter. I bought from mcvans since I had some credit I needed to use. If anyone in town is looking for one , I saw them on clearance at Kmart for $11.

[quote name='D_Icon']I'm trying to buy a PS2 to PS3 USB adaptor from ebay, but a lot of them say they only allow you to use the PS2 controllers on PS3 games, but they are not compatible with PS2 games.
ebay auctions

What brand of usb adaptors are you guys using that allows you to use the PS2 guitars with the games GH1, 2, and 80s Edition on your PS3?[/quote]

This sounds like the best adapter out there (not available yet tho). Although no support for GH2, 80's, or Rumble (it says "lack of ps3 support", so its unclear whether the adapter doesn't support it or if it's game software's fault)

[quote name='bornrunnin31']This sounds like the best adapter out there (not available yet tho). Although no support for GH2, 80's, or Rumble (it says "lack of ps3 support", so its unclear whether the adapter doesn't support it or if it's game software's fault)[/quote]

Thanks a lot. Im saving that website until they become available. That would be better than paying $60 for another RockBand guitar.

[quote name='endlessPRO']where can I download icon pictures next to my name ?[/QUOTE]For your PSN name, you can only use one of the many avatars under account management (which you could select when creating a PSN-ID). Your PS3 console login, you can select any picture from the photo album and make that an avatar.

I was wondering if your could resume downloads on the playstation store? The demos take a really long time for me to download and I don't like leaving this on while I'm not there.

I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a PS3, mainly for BLU-Ray and some 1st party titles like Ratchet and Clank and Metal Gear.

This thread has been pretty helpful and I was wondering if it would be wise to upgrade the HDD right off the bat with some games requiring a 5gb install? I plan on getting the 40gb model considering I have no use for backwards compatibility since my PS2 is a JPN model as are the games (fighters and shmups).

Also, I don't see myself downloading a ton of stuff from the PSN except for Tekken 5 DR and MK2.

Sounds like you can always switch to a new hard drive later if you need to. You probably wouldn't care about leaving more than a handful of games installed at once, so it shouldn't be too bad (and not all games need to be installed).

Do new Demos not come out very often? I have had the PS3 for 3 weeks or so now and a new demo hasn't come out since Ive had it. Condemned 2 was the first new demo then and it still is today.

I don't have my Playstation 3 yet so not sure about that, but it's kind of a slow time of year I think. I check my 360 every once in a while and sometimes it's so slow there's not even a single game in the "recent releases" demo section.

[quote name='erehwon']I was wondering if your could resume downloads on the playstation store? The demos take a really long time for me to download and I don't like leaving this on while I'm not there.[/QUOTE]Just do background downloading for PS Store content (themes cannot be background downloaded). If you do background downloading, you can do other things on the PS3 while it's downloading. If you turn your PS3 off, sign off of PSN, etc., it will stop downloading. When you turn the PS3 back on (or sign back onto PSN), the download content will resume. The ONLY thing you cannot do in the background is install a game.

[quote name='Midnite']I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy a PS3, mainly for BLU-Ray and some 1st party titles like Ratchet and Clank and Metal Gear.

This thread has been pretty helpful and I was wondering if it would be wise to upgrade the HDD right off the bat with some games requiring a 5gb install? I plan on getting the 40gb model considering I have no use for backwards compatibility since my PS2 is a JPN model as are the games (fighters and shmups).

Also, I don't see myself downloading a ton of stuff from the PSN except for Tekken 5 DR and MK2.[/QUOTE]Well, having a big PS3 HDD is good, but I will say if you already have a big external HDD which can be formatted to FAT32, you can wait to upgrade the HDD. I say this because there's a system backup utility on the PS3, which can back up everything on your HDD to an external drive, then restore it after you switch HDDs. If you don't have any external HDD, then I'd recommend doing it right away. As for size, get something at least 120GB.

[quote name='schuerm26']Do new Demos not come out very often? I have had the PS3 for 3 weeks or so now and a new demo hasn't come out since Ive had it. Condemned 2 was the first new demo then and it still is today.[/QUOTE]That's because the PS Store is currently being re-vamped and there was going to be no new content for two weeks. That's why we haven't received really anything. Check this link for the news:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/31/new-playstation-store-interface-coming-in-mid-april/
[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't have my Playstation 3 yet so not sure about that, but it's kind of a slow time of year I think. I check my 360 every once in a while and sometimes it's so slow there's not even a single game in the "recent releases" demo section.[/QUOTE]It's weird because 360 got a Turning Point and Army of Two demo (If I remember correctly). PS3 got a demo to Condemned 2 and Sega Superstars Tennis.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
That's because the PS Store is currently being re-vamped and there was going to be no new content for two weeks. That's why we haven't received really anything. Check this link for the news:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/31/new-playstation-store-interface-coming-in-mid-april/
It's weird because 360 got a Turning Point and Army of Two demo (If I remember correctly). PS3 got a demo to Condemned 2 and Sega Superstars Tennis.[/quote]

Wow, That's much much much better than it currently is.

A few days ago when I started up my PS3, I got a message like "database will be rebuilt" and was pretty much forced to continue. Afterward, it just restarted and everything seemed normal, until I noticed yesterday that it deleted all the custom names and descriptions I gave my videos/games to keep them organized. Is that just some periodic maintenance process or did I inadvertantly set it off? Unless it improves performance somehow, I'd like to avoid having it do that in the future because I'm crazy about having my files organized.

The strangest thing is that it reset all the video titles to what they were when I first downloaded them, so if you've put in your own name for any of your videos, you're really just giving it an alias and not changing the filename or an embedded ID tag or something. What a weird setup.

[quote name='metaly']A few days ago when I started up my PS3, I got a message like "database will be rebuilt" and was pretty much forced to continue. Afterward, it just restarted and everything seemed normal, until I noticed yesterday that it deleted all the custom names and descriptions I gave my videos/games to keep them organized. Is that just some periodic maintenance process or did I inadvertantly set it off? Unless it improves performance somehow, I'd like to avoid having it do that in the future because I'm crazy about having my files organized.

The strangest thing is that it reset all the video titles to what they were when I first downloaded them, so if you've put in your own name for any of your videos, you're really just giving it an alias and not changing the filename or an embedded ID tag or something. What a weird setup.[/quote]

Holy sheet! I had this happen too. Just a few days ago. I starting having bad thoughts like the HDD was going out or something. Seems to be running the same except for what you mentioned. Took me good part of an hour to rename everything. The way I remember it sounded more like an error than anything else. No clue as to why it happened.

[quote name='metaly']A few days ago when I started up my PS3, I got a message like "database will be rebuilt" and was pretty much forced to continue. Afterward, it just restarted and everything seemed normal, until I noticed yesterday that it deleted all the custom names and descriptions I gave my videos/games to keep them organized. Is that just some periodic maintenance process or did I inadvertantly set it off? Unless it improves performance somehow, I'd like to avoid having it do that in the future because I'm crazy about having my files organized.

The strangest thing is that it reset all the video titles to what they were when I first downloaded them, so if you've put in your own name for any of your videos, you're really just giving it an alias and not changing the filename or an embedded ID tag or something. What a weird setup.[/quote]
Same thing happened to me. It undid all my albums and file names, so I had to resort all my videos and game stuff again.

That could be a weird firmware problem.
[quote name='yukine']360 has the Superstars Tennis demo, no Condemned 2 yet I'm afraid.[/QUOTE]Well, I do know PS3 got the demo a more than a week ahead of 360, but wasn't sure if 360 got it yet (haven't brought my 360 on XBL in a bit due to being pretty busy and connection issues at home).

Are downloads that slow for everyone, or just me? It's profoundly slower than files of the same size on XBL.

Also, very warm air exiting of the top rear (vertical) is normal, right? I had to move it for fear it would damage the TV. :eek:

Some people have good luck with PSN and can download pretty quickly. Thankfully, I can.

There are ports which are good to open, but I'm not sure which ones. Perhaps someone else knows?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Are downloads that slow for everyone, or just me? It's profoundly slower than files of the same size on XBL.

Also, very warm air exiting of the top rear (vertical) is normal, right? I had to move it for fear it would damage the TV. :eek:[/quote]
Yes, warm air exiting the console is a good sign... a sign that the heatsinks and fans are doing their job.

It's a Belkin router, at my dad's place. I'm not going to worry about it too much until I get back to my WRT54G Linksys, just wanted to know if others were experiencing the same thing.

Anyone notice any difference wired/wireless?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Are downloads that slow for everyone, or just me? It's profoundly slower than files of the same size on XBL.

Also, very warm air exiting of the top rear (vertical) is normal, right? I had to move it for fear it would damage the TV. :eek:[/QUOTE]I'll explain the speed of PS3 downloads:
-Near launch, downloads were pretty slow.
-Around mid Summer time, download speeds increased by a big margin (after PSN was down a few times) and were quicker than the 360 IMO. The only problem is that sometimes they got stuck.
-Around the end of 2007 (especially as PS3 users went up by a big margin), download speeds have decreased quite a bit, and now have gotten even slower due to no upgrade (I don't believe) and more PS3 users. I'm betting on the day the PS Store gets re-designed or around July, servers will get upgraded and we'll get better downloads.

I know downloads should be fast since I'm 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up, and I've watched them go down.

hey TMK.. quick Q. where to buy cheap USB charging cable that's pretty long, for play n charge lol. I did a quick search on monoprice and couldn't find what I was looking for. I know these cables are universal, like come w/ cameras etc.. anyway figured I'd come here first.

*edit* nm I think I found it.. 10ft.

for anyone interested:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1030302&p_id=3897&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

now I need to think of anything else I need so I'm not paying twice as much as the cable for shipping.

[quote name='D_Icon']Ebay

Found that one but they only accepts Pay-pal, damn.

EDIT:

Is this the one people complain about?
Pelican adaptor[/quote]

Don't know anything about that first one. Looks like a cheap Chinese knock off or something. Never heard about.

I just sold my Pelican adapter on ebay for about $50. Paid $10 back in November. It gets the job done on a minimal level. No HO/PO, you have to plug in a dualshock everytime you are at a menu. It's a little bit of work just to use a guitar on a ps3.

Personally, I'm waiting for reviews to come in about the TAC one I posted earlier.

My PS3 is working fine with my router, but the internet on my laptop downstairs has not been working well at all due to the connection speed occasionally dropping to less than half the usual speed.

I'm thinking I need a new router, but is there any brand I should avoid? I particularly want to know this in respect to the PS3.

[quote name='endlessPRO']What else do you guys download besides games , demos , wallpaper , themes ?[/QUOTE]Game videos, add-on content, and PSP stuff, from the PS Store.

[quote name='aznguyen316']hey TMK.. quick Q. where to buy cheap USB charging cable that's pretty long, for play n charge lol. I did a quick search on monoprice and couldn't find what I was looking for. I know these cables are universal, like come w/ cameras etc.. anyway figured I'd come here first.

*edit* nm I think I found it.. 10ft.

for anyone interested:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1030302&p_id=3897&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

now I need to think of anything else I need so I'm not paying twice as much as the cable for shipping.[/QUOTE]I'm probably going to buy more USB cables myself shortly at monoprice. I'll admit that I felt the Official PS3 USB cables were priced good (2 for $20), but this is even better. I need a few long cables since all of mine are short (I have two PS3 controllers, two PSP handhelds, and a digital camera, which all uses them). Monoprice is what I was going to recommend anyway. ;)

My friend sent me this because I've been having troubles with my system. Basically it is a fan test that the video poster says cleans the system and makes the fan "sound better". Doesn't work on mine (60GB launch system) for some reason but I though I'd share it here too in case you guys can get it to work.

I didn't know the PS3 came with a jet engine. :cool:

1. Turn off PS3.
2. Flip off switch in the back.
3. HOLD the EJECT button.
4. Flip on switch in the back (while still holding eject).
5. Wait for it to stop and flip back switch off/on.

[quote name='NamPaehc']My friend sent me this because I've been having troubles with my system. Basically it is a fan test that the video poster says cleans the system and makes the fan "sound better". Doesn't work on mine (60GB launch system) for some reason but I though I'd share it here too in case you guys can get it to work.

I didn't know the PS3 came with a jet engine. :cool:

1. Turn off PS3.
2. Flip off switch in the back.
3. HOLD the EJECT button.
4. Flip on switch in the back (while still holding eject).
5. Wait for it to stop and flip back switch off/on.[/quote]

This only works on the 40gb models.

I was wondering about the ps3's power cable? Is is just a standard PC power cable? If it is, I don't need to worry about ever needing to buy a replacement since we have an abundance of them.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']This only works on the 40gb models.[/QUOTE]

Which makes absolutely no sense at all.

I saw these at Walmart over the weekend for $10. Worth it?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Which makes absolutely no sense at all.[/QUOTE]
There's actually quite a bit difference between the 40GB and the rest. It uses different fans and the circuit board is almost completely difference. Only similarity is the shape of the casing.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']There's actually quite a bit difference between the 40GB and the rest. It uses different fans and the circuit board is almost completely difference. Only similarity is the shape of the casing.[/QUOTE]

None of which would cause it not to work on the other models, besides Sony not wanting to put it in an update.

[quote name='endlessPRO']is online down for anyone?[/quote]

The Playstation Store will be down from 8 am to 9 pm US Pacific Time (11 am to midnight, US Eastern). This is for the widely anticipated update to the Playstation Store.

This?

Hey guys, there IS a way to make the 60GB system do "the fan test". Going to try this as soon as I can (because my system is wonked anyway).

There is a warning below, but I think that is just for anyone who uses this for a prolonged time period. So if you do it, don't keep your PS3 upside down for long.

Also, I don't think it is an issue, but you might want to take any disc you may have in the drive out.

We would like to say that this is not recommended, and that it is unknown whether this will cause damage to your PS3. We extremely advise you not to do this if your PS3 is under warranty.

Update: It has been found that this could cause damage to your PS3 and it is recommended that you must not do this. A link is provided below.

>>>Update: Well I tried it on my launch 60GB (out of warranty) which was having some graphic issues I believe were being caused by overheating. Overheating from the dust that might have gotten into it. Anyway as soon as it got going I could see some dust shooting out once it hit the highest speed. Then I loaded up AC which was giving me the most problems and I only saw one "spike" sticking up off the ground. It disappeared after a little bit though which NEVER happened before. Usually they are all over the people and I didn't see ANY which was a shock after a good play sessions. So this might have saved me $150 and the heartache of not having my Ps3 for possibly a month. Or it could just be a fluke too.

bread's done
Back