PSP Go thread-

I wouldn't mind a stand for the PSP Go since you are able to connect a PS3 controller to it. But chances are I'll only end up buying buying some sort of case for the Go.

It seems Target is offering a $5 GC for people who pre-order the PSPGo. So it looks like I'll probably go pick it up at Target.

None that I know of. All I've heard is Persona(Atlus pushed it back) and some NIS titles will be up on the 1st. But I'm going to guess we'll at least see alot of the more recent releases up(Like Motorstorm and GT).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's funny to connect a controller to a portable gaming device, and buy a stand for it.

Why not just have a dock that is similar to a port replicator for laptops....

it just seems silly to play on a teeny screen like that.

[quote name='xycury']I think it's funny to connect a controller to a portable gaming device, and buy a stand for it.

Why not just have a dock that is similar to a port replicator for laptops....

it just seems silly to play on a teeny screen like that.[/QUOTE]
Video out.

I can't wait for October 1st and I won't even have a Go. There should be decent PSN releases on that day along with the Minis! My PSP 2000 will enjoy that day.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Video out.[/QUOTE]

and that's what you call a console.... not a handheld.

And it's called Go?

I'll stop now. :whistle2:#

Still though, for ones that want to console it, dock would be nice, stand, maybe not so much.

[quote name='J7.']I can't wait for October 1st and I won't even have a Go. There should be decent PSN releases on that day along with the Minis! My PSP 2000 will enjoy that day.[/QUOTE]

Mini's, NISA sale, PSN releases, should be sweet.

I'm also very interested in knowing what Sony's going to do about all our UMD's, they haven't said anything about it in a while. They can't stay silent about it for much longer.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Mini's, NISA sale, PSN releases, should be sweet.

I'm also very interested in knowing what Sony's going to do about all our UMD's, they haven't said anything about it in a while. They can't stay silent about it for much longer.[/QUOTE]

Yea seriously, if they don't say anything @ TGS I'll be pissed. Though...I'm pretty much pissed in general. My whole strategy behind buying the Go was to buy it, and then seek out some used UMDs to start my collection via the trade-in. I got the $75 off deal via Amazon, and am getting release date delivery, so I'm keeping the preorder. (~$175 isn't a half bad deal considering the 3000 is $170)

But I feel pretty annoyed that Sony would cut it this close without any further mention of the UMD trade program. Guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes. Does anyone know which NIS games are particularly worth buying on day 1 for the half off deal? I'm considering them but not familiar enough personally.

[quote name='Tux.Bobble'] Does anyone know which NIS games are particularly worth buying on day 1 for the half off deal? I'm considering them but not familiar enough personally.[/QUOTE]
We still don't know all the titles, see below, but I'd recommend Prinny & Disgaea.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6267514&postcount=3569
I also want to let you know that NIS America will release our past PSP titles, such as Prinny, Disgaea, Blade Dancer, and more, on PSN in the coming weeks. They will be available between $4.99 and $12.99 during the sales week (October 1st to 7th.) They are all 50% off, so don’t miss this chance to get them if you haven’t gotten these titles yet!

[quote name='Tux.Bobble']I got the $75 off deal via Amazon, and am getting release date delivery, so I'm keeping the preorder.[/QUOTE]

What $75 off deal at Amazon? Is there a deal that I missed?

[quote name='bmachine']What $75 off deal at Amazon? Is there a deal that I missed?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't just a straight up deal. Over the summer was a "trade in $75 of video games, get a $75 coupon in addition". So I traded in $75 of PS3/PS2 games, and got an extra $75 for free. Between the coupon and the original gift cards, I'm paying less than $100 out-of-pocket for my PSP Go as a result. Now, if I had bought a 3000, it would have been ~ $15. (just tax basically)

So it's not like I just got it for $75 off, don't worry about that. Had to work for it haha...

I was considering Prinny based on reviews...couldn't decide if I wanted it or not based on the fact that "YOU WILL DIE" is in pretty much every review...lol.

LoL Well its up to you, Its your money, Those things are just different opinions about PSP GO vs PSP 2k - 3k i think the good thing for PSP go is Great games came from ps2 and ps3? hope so.. but the UMD will be on high price IMO SONY is kinda focusing on their marketing sales.

[quote name='Tux.Bobble']
I was considering Prinny based on reviews...couldn't decide if I wanted it or not based on the fact that "YOU WILL DIE" is in pretty much every review...lol.[/QUOTE]
That's a good thing.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']The Guardian just published their two week hands-on review of the Go.
It's pretty positive on the hardware:
Nice kit, shame about the price[/QUOTE]

This is the money quote to me, as this guy has some extensive experience with the original PSP and thus can speak with some sense of authority.

Well the Go feels more comfortable to hold than the PSP 3000. If I hadn't already spent far too long on Monster Hunter Unite on the original PSP I'd have been tempted to download it for the Go simply because it is far nicer to use for lengthy sessions. Battery life too is a huge improvement.

I was always concerned about the Go's comfort factor and am glad the author gives the Go some high marks on ergonomics. Never did like the way the PSP Phat felt.

[quote name='Ecofreak']This is the money quote to me, as this guy has some extensive experience with the original PSP and thus can speak with some sense of authority.

I was always concerned about the Go's comfort factor and am glad the author gives the Go some high marks on ergonomics. Never did like the way the PSP Phat felt.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I do find it funny how so many people who have never held the PSP Go are being so derisive toward it for its small size "cramping the hands" when it seems that EVERYONE who has ACTUALLY HELD one absolutely LOVES it. The size is actually the main reason I'm getting the Go, and haven't owned a PSP before. (I think I sound like a broken record on this one--I have bigger than average hands, too)

Anyway, I will most definitely post my feedback on Oct 1st/2nd, since now I have a job (woohoo!) and work pretty late.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']So, Sony's definition of pricing parity is five to six dollars MORE for digital copies, and EB Games won't be carrying the PSPgo in Australia.

I already had some doubts about the all-download system - I like physical copies, and the price drops that come with them. Apparently, I'm not the only one - EB Games is the biggest gaming chain in Australia, and if they refuse to carry it, that's not a good sign. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]
I'd think the price parity quote is relating to new games that are being released on UMD and PSN at launch, so Persona, MotorStorm, and Gran Turismo would be examples of that. It's kind of expected looking at how games like Warhawk, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and SOCOM Confrontation were priced when they were released on the PS3.

It's too bad that they didn't show examples of the cheaper UMD games that are on there, though I guess they wanted the article to stay one-sided on the issue. I'm sure you can find any of the UMD games for cheaper if you look hard enough or wait long enough as a counterpoint to any deals. Just going through the list of games and cross-referencing them with GameStop's New and Used prices:

7 Wonders of the Ancient World - $9.99 PSN - $10.99 New, $12.05 Used Amazon
Archer Maclean's Mercury - $5.99 PSN - $5.99 Used
Brave Story: New Traveler - $14.99 PSN - $19.99 Used
Brothers in Arms D-Day - $14.99 PSN - $16.99 Used
Guilty Gear Judgment - $5.99 PSN - $12.99 Used
Luxor Pharaoh's Challenge - $9.99 PSN - $12.99 Used
Myst - $19.99 PSN - $42.90 New Play-Asia
Patapon - $15.99 PSN - $19.99 New, $17.99 Used
PBR Out of the Chute - $14.99 PSN - N/A On The Internet
Pocket Pool - $9.99 PSN - $19.99 News, $12.99 Used
Super Collapse! 3 - $9.99 PSN - $14.99 Used
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $12.99 - $17.99 Used
Tomb Raider: Legend - $12.99 PSN - $14.99 Used

Not the most prestigious list, but some of these third parties are pricing their games decently. A number of the UMD games are cheaper than their MSRP's, but GameStop probably stops requesting new copies of most PSP games to make that a moot point anyway.

The bigger issue is the dumb move of publishers like EA, Atlus, Sony, and others to continue pushing $40 games out there when they need to focus on the $30 or $20 price tag with some of the elite games being $40 when they warrant it. Stupid shit like Steambot Chronicles launching at $40 for a 15 hour game with no replay value is a textbook example of the dumb pricing decisions by publishers that should've been phased out by now. With the poor sales of most PSP games, publishers should be more willing to go for cheaper prices to entice buyers to buy their stuff rather than pirate or ignore them.

As far as the digital stuff, Sony needs to stop with the stupid $15.99 and $22.99 tiers they've put most of their games in since neither makes sense and just leads to games like PaRappa the Rapper being $23 that can't be selling anywhere to close to most anything else on there. Even the no name stuff like 7 Wonders and Mind Quiz have to be selling better than PtR. I'd hope that the NIS sale is a sign that Sony's willing to facilitate Steam-like sales when publishers want to do them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd think the price parity quote is relating to new games that are being released on UMD and PSN at launch, so Persona, MotorStorm, and Gran Turismo would be examples of that. It's kind of expected looking at how games like Warhawk, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and SOCOM Confrontation were priced when they were released on the PS3.[/QUOTE]
That makes complete sense. Retailers would never let them get away with releasing new games cheaper over PSN. Sony tried it with Warhawk and had to create a bundle in the end to keep the retailers happy.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']That makes complete sense. Retailers would never let them get away with releasing new games cheaper over PSN. Sony tried it with Warhawk and had to create a bundle in the end to keep the retailers happy.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that retailers are letting them get away with the PSPgo in the first place. Consoles have never made much money for retailers - the software is the bread and butter of the industry. If you remove that from the equation, then why bother with the PSPgo at all?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's too bad that they didn't show examples of the cheaper UMD games that are on there, though I guess they wanted the article to stay one-sided on the issue. I'm sure you can find any of the UMD games for cheaper if you look hard enough or wait long enough as a counterpoint to any deals. Just going through the list of games and cross-referencing them with GameStop's New and Used prices:[/QUOTE]

I think you kind of missed the point by comparing used games to digital downloads - all of the prices they used were retail for new copies. Temporary deals on CAG aside, I don't think that list would look so favorable for Sony if you replaced the prices with new titles.

Unless I'm missing something, I have the same problem with this that I do the Xbox Games on Demand feature - I don't see why digital downloads should cost as much as the physical product. There's no distribution, no manufacturing, no physical product I can resell or trade if I desire, and it's tied to one account that either company has the power to ban at will. I've also got to provide the bandwidth to download the game, and the storage space for the game. I'm just not seeing much of a benefit here.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Honestly, I'm a little surprised that retailers are letting them get away with the PSPgo in the first place. Consoles have never made much money for retailers - the software is the bread and butter of the industry. If you remove that from the equation, then why bother with the PSPgo at all?[/quote]
How does the iPhone/Touch work for retailers? Is it just accessories or is there any money in it for the retailers?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I think you kind of missed the point by comparing used games to digital downloads - all of the prices they used were retail for new copies. Temporary deals on CAG aside, I don't think that list would look so favorable for Sony if you replaced the prices with new titles.

Unless I'm missing something, I have the same problem with this that I do the Xbox Games on Demand feature - I don't see why digital downloads should cost as much as the physical product. There's no distribution, no manufacturing, no physical product I can resell or trade if I desire, and it's tied to one account that either company has the power to ban at will. I've also got to provide the bandwidth to download the game, and the storage space for the game. I'm just not seeing much of a benefit here.[/QUOTE]
I get the point of the article. They're talking about the bad deals on the PS Store, but do you really think you could find any PSP game you'd want in a store new? I picked GameStop because they could potentially offer two conditions and also have a retail/web presence to cover a few different bases at once. I've purchased games like Work Time Fun, Me and My Katamari, and Ridge Racer used because nobody still carried them and they were $10 or less.

Because retailers have a huge part in pricing of digital versions of retail games, Sony, Microsoft, and the publishers can't screw over the retailers and go cheaper without risking their retail presence, as well. As for Games on Demand, Microsoft seems to not recognize that games from the launch year aren't being stocked by retailers anymore, so there's no excuse to price stuff like Call of Duty 2, Rockstar's Table Tennis, and Rainbow Six Vegas at $30 since those are all probably $10 or less at GameStop for anyone that's missed them. At least in the PS Store, those older games seem to not be tied to any pricing structures and are probably up to the publisher to choose what they think is an appropriate price. Of course, that leads to Sony and Ubisoft's high pricing of their titles.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How does the iPhone/Touch work for retailers? Is it just accessories or is there any money in it for the retailers?[/QUOTE]

I realize you're being rhetorical but we both know the iPhone was never sold solely to move software- specifically for the gaming industry. Its hardware cost is also subsidized by the mandatory monthly data plan benefiting it's exclusive retailer / service provider. I've yet to see eb/gamestop or any dedicated gaming store sell a Touch, and why would they. While larger electronics retailers like BBy are moving the touch (and even iPhone at BBy) they are also selling the iTunes cards and accessories.

I never thought there was much profit margin on the iTunes cards but the frequency of buy 2 GOF and the ubiquitous $30 pack for $20 at costco makes me curious if there isn't a good 25-33% profit on those. This is likely the source of the profitability for retailers and their additional motivation.

Maybe if PSN cards are priced similarly in store it might be worthwhile (giving the consumer an incentive to buy them in store vs. online purchases and giving the retailer a sales incentive), but I can certainly see how the niche gaming market (and obviously the used gaming market) feels like they're getting an end-around run on them. Given Sony's current and previous pricing moves being a guide I am seriously skeptical that this will happen.

I think the first months sales will be solid driven by the early adopters and eBay flippers; while everyone else is going to play the wait and see game how the UMD program, PSN pricing for games/minis and the possible DD game rental service shake out.

I grow more and more skeptical every day.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I realize your being rhetorical but we both know the iPhone was never sold solely to move software- specifically for the gaming industry. Its hardware cost is also subsidized by the mandatory monthly data plan benefiting it's exclusive retailer / service provider. I've yet to see eb/gamestop or any dedicated gaming store sell a Touch, and why would they. While larger electronics retailers like BBy are moving the touch (and even iPhone at BBy) they are also selling the iTunes cards and accessories.

I never thought there was much profit margin on the iTunes cards but the frequency of buy 2 GOF and the ubiquitous $30 pack for $20 at costco makes me curious if there isn't a good 25-33% profit on those. This is the source of the profitability for retailers and the their additional motivation.

Maybe if PSN cards are priced similarly in store it might be worthwhile (giving the consumer an incentive to buy them in store vs. online purchases and giving the retailer a sales incentive), but I can certainly see how the niche gaming market (and obviously the used gaming market) feels like they're getting an end-around run on them. Given Sony's current and previous pricing moves being a guide I am seriously skeptical that this will happen.

I think the first months sales will be solid driven by the early adopters and eBay flippers; while everyone else is going to play the wait and see game how the UMD program, PSN pricing for games/minis and the possible DD game rental service shake out.

I grow more and more skeptical every day.[/QUOTE]
I didn't think of the iTunes cards, though that much of a margin on them sounds a bit odd compared to what MS, Nintendo, and Sony's cards probably cost retailers.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I didn't think of the iTunes cards, though that much of a margin on them sounds a bit odd compared to what MS, Nintendo, and Sony's cards probably cost retailers.[/QUOTE]
Granted: It's all guesstimation. However, that's got to be in the ball park with the frequency of those deals. If Sony were to take that track maybe- but then unlike the iPhone/iTunes/Touch they have the legacy PSP consoles that don't make money in-line with that model so that seems pretty unlikely.

More and more, it seems we are all wishing they had just made a PSP2 with a second analog and released it later next year with some kind of UMD-to-DD trade-in (in lieu of BC) program for it. I know would have been much more interested and surely both products could have coexisted with the ≈$100 price disparity. Unfortunately, a PSP2 seems even farther away from reality now.

I think a 5 year run for a hand held is plenty long; especially, if they were to do a UMD program for a PSP2 (realizing people will immediately point to the DS- we can all agree that it is way "long in the tooth" graphically). The whole PSPSgo thing seems half-hearted, poorly planned, even more poorly priced and a huge half step towards nothing but slightly better portability and the promise of reduced piracy. Sony should stop looking at Nintendo as a market model, I really don't think they are the same buyers. Despite the fact that the DS prints money, I think the PSPgo is going to drink it like a bum does cheap bourbon (A slick polished looking bum with simulated chrome and crystal clear lexan eyes waggling his single analog stick- oh I took that too far)

Lets not forget all new proprietary peripherals at great prices (until meritline/alibaba gets a hold of them). :D

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Honestly, I'm a little surprised that retailers are letting them get away with the PSPgo in the first place. Consoles have never made much money for retailers - the software is the bread and butter of the industry. If you remove that from the equation, then why bother with the PSPgo at all?[/QUOTE]
It's not really that surprising. Retailers such as Gamestop know people will trade in old PSPs and games towards the PSPGo(They make most of their money selling used products). And for other places it's just another product to sell(perhaps with a protection plan?) that will bring people into their store. Also there is a PSP 4000 on the way so retailers know UMD isn't going anywhere yet.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Granted: It's all guesstimation. However, that's got to be in the ball park with the frequency of those deals. If Sony were to take that track maybe- but then unlike the iTune/Touch they have the legacy PSP consoles that don't make money in-line with that model so that seems pretty unlikely.

More and more, it seems we are all wishing they had just made a PSP2 with a second analog and released it later next year with some kind of UMD-to-DD trade-in (in lieu of BC) program for it. I know would have been much more interested and surely both products could have coexisted with the ≈$100 price disparity. Unfortunately, a PSP2 seems even farther away from reality now.

I think a 5 year run for a hand held is plenty long; especially, if they were to do a UMD program for a PSP2 (realizing people will immediately point to the DS- we can all agree that it is way "long in the tooth" graphically). The whole PSPSgo thing seems half-hearted, poorly planned, even more poorly priced and a huge half step towards nothing but slightly better portability and the promise of reduced piracy. Sony should stop looking at Nintendo as a market model, I really don't think they are the same buyers. Despite the fact that the DS prints money, I think the PSPgo is going to drink it like cheap bourbon.

Lets not forget all new proprietary peripherals at great prices (until meritline/alibaba gets a hold of them). :D[/QUOTE]
I think the Go was a bit rushed due to the threats of publishers being ready to walk out last year, so they had their hands tied a bit into making something to appease them quickly. It's at least pushed them to get more content onto the PS Store, both original and UMD.

The price and the lack of news on the goodwill program are the big issues for me, though the former could probably be dropped to $200 sometime next year alongside the launch of the rumored PSP-4000. The goodwill program would be nice to know about ASAP since it would decide whether I should go for a larger memory stick in the near future or wait for the Go to drop so I don't waste money for extra storage that I'd get in the future anyway.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I think the Go was a bit rushed due to the threats of publishers being ready to walk out last year, so they had their hands tied a bit into making something to appease them quickly. It's at least pushed them to get more content onto the PS Store, both original and UMD.

The price and the lack of news on the goodwill program are the big issues for me, though the former could probably be dropped to $200 sometime next year alongside the launch of the rumored PSP-4000. The goodwill program would be nice to know about ASAP since it would decide whether I should go for a larger memory stick in the near future or wait for the Go to drop so I don't waste money for extra storage that I'd get in the future anyway.[/QUOTE]

Very true.

Depending on your use, you may want the extra storage anyway.
UMD's are usually like 150mb but go all the way up to 1.2gb for things like FIFA. I have no idea the size of the newer UMD/PSN games for PSP, as my PSP is on extended loan to a family member.

Not counting game saves, mp3s, videos, OS . . . 16gb can go faster than you think. I am micro managing my 16gb iphone as it is and only have about 20 games on it. A new m2 with an adapter might be a safe bet.

It would be nice to hear about the Goodwill program. But since I'm holding on to my PSP 1000(I have a few import games) it's something I'm not that worried about.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Very true.

Depending on your use, you may want the extra storage anyway.
UMD's are usually like 150mb but go all the way up to 1.2gb for things like FIFA. I have no idea the size of the newer UMD/PSN games for PSP, as my PSP is on extended loan to a family member.

Not counting game saves, mp3s, videos, OS . . . 16gb can go faster than you think. I am micro managing my 16gb iphone as it is and only have about 20 games on it. A new m2 with an adapter might be a safe bet.[/QUOTE]
There's also the issue of storage formats since the Go uses the new mini memory stick format that isn't compatible with the MSPD's now, so I'd be more willing to wait with word on what the goodwill program is. It would be nice to here of an adapter to allow use of MSPDs with the Go, but I can't find anything like that with a quick search.

Right now, I have a 2 GB stick with about four games (MotorStorm, Patapon 2, Beats, and echochrome), some RBU DLC, audio stuff, photos, and saves with about ~450 MB of space left, so I've got some room left before going for an 8 GB stick if I continue to not here anything out of Sony.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Because retailers have a huge part in pricing of digital versions of retail games, Sony, Microsoft, and the publishers can't screw over the retailers and go cheaper without risking their retail presence, as well.[/QUOTE]

This is the part of the strategy I don't get. I don't think that UMDs are part of Sony's long-term retail presence plans - I think this is the first step toward eliminating physical media entirely for their handhelds. Why worry about driving retailers away if it's going to happen as a result of your plans for the near future anyway?

Besides, Sony has enough of a presence through consumer electronics, movies, music, and the PS3 and its software; I would think that that might be enough to convince retailers to carry the PSPgo even if it isn't the major breadwinner.

Sony will hurt a few feelings if the digital downloads are cheaper than the physical copies, but if you keep the prices comparable or higher, it's going to seriously hurt the PSPgo's chances of succeeding. Other than the higher storage capacity (although, honestly, I'm fine with swapping memory cards out) and the smaller size, I just don't see much reason to get a PSPgo instead of one of the older models.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Lets not forget all new proprietary peripherals at great prices (until meritline/alibaba gets a hold of them). :D[/QUOTE]

I still have no idea what Sony was thinking there. It's not going to generate the tidal wave of profits they're hoping for, that's for sure. :wall:

I don't know a single person who wants the PSP Go. But I will certainly buy a cheaper used PSP when it comes out. The white color is cool but honestly there is really no need for this system at this point and digital only will suck, no doubt about it.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']This is the part of the strategy I don't get. I don't think that UMDs are part of Sony's long-term retail presence plans - I think this is the first step toward eliminating physical media entirely for their handhelds. Why worry about driving retailers away if it's going to happen as a result of your plans for the near future anyway?[/QUOTE]
If retailers don't carry the PSPGo who will? It's not as if Sony has a store of it's own. So they have no choice but to rely on the retailers to stock their stuff.

Except that it's not just a Sony issue since Microsoft is dealing with that pressure, as well. Sony risks even more retailers not stocking the Go, though I don't know if Patapon 2-style download codes would help change their minds or not.

The peripheral thing is something almost every takes advantage of with new systems, from new colors of every peripheral for MS, to the new PS3 stand for the Slim, to new stylii and accessories for the DSi and new stuff for the Go. If they follow through with the adapter they mentioned for the old accessories, that would help them out. The Go even screws SCEA since they have a few PSP camera games that can't work with the Go because of the new proprietary port and the camera itself has yet to be released here, so it's a weird situation overall.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']If retailers don't carry the PSPGo who will? It's not as if Sony has a store of it's own.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Admittedly, we're talking about a handful of stores across the country, but they do have their own retail stores.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Except that it's not just a Sony issue since Microsoft is dealing with that pressure, as well. Sony risks even more retailers not stocking the Go, though I don't know if Patapon 2-style download codes would help change their minds or not.

The peripheral thing is something almost every takes advantage of with new systems, from new colors of every peripheral for MS, to the new PS3 stand for the Slim, to new stylii and accessories for the DSi and new stuff for the Go. If they follow through with the adapter they mentioned for the old accessories, that would help them out. The Go even screws SCEA since they have a few PSP camera games that can't work with the Go because of the new proprietary port and the camera itself has yet to be released here, so it's a weird situation overall.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think the retail codes would go a long way towards easing the fear of retailers. I'm not sure how many people would bother to buy that version of the game, but if you package it like they did with the PS3 version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - throw some goodies into the package along with the code - I can't see why it wouldn't work.

As far as alienating people goes, I really think the only ones Sony could possibly alienate (right now, at least) would be independent game stores. Even then, if they refuse to carry the PSPgo they won't stop carrying the PS3. It's going to take even more work to piss off the big box retailers - how many headphones, stereos, TVs, speakers, albums, movies, and games have the Sony logo on their box in a given Target or Best Buy? Even if Sony was to do something colossally stupid like try to strong-arm them into carrying the PSPgo against their will, they wouldn't abandon Sony.

As it stands now, I've already got my doubts about how well the PSP has worked for retailers. Whenever I look at clearance racks, I see more PSP games there than games for any other system, and occasionally (like on my last trip to K-Mart) for all of the other systems combined. While that's anecdotal, it does raise another potential argument - if the PSP is already not selling well, that's even less incentive to carry the PSPgo.

The apparent lack of demand for the PSPgo might actually be in Sony's favor, though - it'd be a lot easier to talk people into carrying it if they don't have to keep a large number of systems in stock.

Bottom line for that: I think that we're blowing the "alienating retailers" argument out of proportion a bit, because unless I'm completely misreading the situation, I don't think they're too wild about the PSP to begin with. Even if they aren't happy with the PSPgo, though, Sony has enough other products to keep that relationship between store and supplier alive.

As for the accessories...maybe I'm an exception, but I don't think I've purchased any accessories for my DS Lite other than a case. Same for my 360 - the only accessory I've purchased for that was a Vision camera bundle, because it was $5 at Sears. Most accessories aren't necessary, and I can't imagine that there's going to be a rush to get new ones that are only compatible with the PSPgo.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']If retailers don't carry the PSPGo who will? It's not as if Sony has a store of it's own.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Admittedly, we're talking about a handful of stores across the country, but they do have their own retail stores.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Except that it's not just a Sony issue since Microsoft is dealing with that pressure, as well. Sony risks even more retailers not stocking the Go, though I don't know if Patapon 2-style download codes would help change their minds or not.

The peripheral thing is something almost every takes advantage of with new systems, from new colors of every peripheral for MS, to the new PS3 stand for the Slim, to new stylii and accessories for the DSi and new stuff for the Go. If they follow through with the adapter they mentioned for the old accessories, that would help them out. The Go even screws SCEA since they have a few PSP camera games that can't work with the Go because of the new proprietary port and the camera itself has yet to be released here, so it's a weird situation overall.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I think the retail codes would go a long way towards easing the fear of retailers. I'm not sure how many people would bother to buy that version of the game, but if you package it like they did with the PS3 version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - throw some goodies into the package along with the code - I can't see why it wouldn't work.

As far as alienating people goes, I really think the only ones Sony could possibly alienate (right now, at least) would be independent game stores. Even then, if they refuse to carry the PSPgo they won't stop carrying the PS3. It's going to take even more work to piss off the big box retailers - how many headphones, stereos, TVs, speakers, albums, movies, and games have the Sony logo on their box in a given Target or Best Buy? Even if Sony was to do something colossally stupid like try to strong-arm them into carrying the PSPgo against their will, they wouldn't abandon Sony.

As it stands now, I've already got my doubts about how well the PSP has worked for retailers. Whenever I look at clearance racks, I see more PSP games there than games for any other system, and occasionally (like on my last trip to K-Mart) for all of the other systems combined.

The apparent lack of demand for the PSPgo might actually be in Sony's favor - it'd be a lot easier to talk people into carrying it if they don't have to keep a large number of systems in stock.

As for the accessories...maybe I'm an exception, but I don't think I've purchased any accessories for my DS Lite other than a case. Same for my 360 - the only accessory I've purchased for that was a Vision camera bundle, because it was $5 at Sears. Most accessories aren't necessary, and I can't imagine that there's going to be a rush to get new ones that are only compatible with the PSPgo.

Sony can't lower the prices of digital games or retailers will give them even more to worry about. The Go is needed to combat piracy and is an answer to DSiWare & Apple's app store games. To just ignore what Apple has been able to do would hurt Sony even more in the long run. Having the onboard 16 gb flash memory is important with their strategy going forward.

Having a PSP2 come out this year would've been a bad choice, especially with the economy and how Sony has been doing with PS3. They should not release a new system and lose money on that when they can utilize the large userbase of the PSP to make some money. Plus if digital downloads don't fly well, it's much better to risk that on the PSP than it would be to risk that right at the the launch of a new console. If they did it could be the death of the console right from the start, whereas here they still have the 3000 model as a safeguard.

[quote name='J7.']
Having a PSP2 come out this year would've been a bad choice, especially with the economy and how Sony has been doing with PS3. They should not release a new system and lose money on that when they can utilize the large userbase of the PSP to make some money. Plus if digital downloads don't fly well, it's much better to risk that on the PSP than it would be to risk that right at the the launch of a new console. If they did it could be the death of the console right from the start, whereas here they still have the 3000 model as a safeguard.[/QUOTE]

In fairness, I said "later next year" not this year.
Also, at $250 "in this economy" with a "limited" UMD program in the works, it might as well be the PSP2. What is to stop Sony from making PSN games & minis that work on both platforms?

Except it's not any of that- which is worse since it means the same 5 year old graphics capabilities, and even more compromises like no 2nd numb or touch screen. It's all compromise and no sizzle.

It's $49 from the full MSRP of a PS3 slim. A PSP2 with a guaranteed UMD mail in conversion would have been a slam dunk, this is a hard sell.

Why invest $250 in 5 year old technology that does less than it's compatible legacy platform and may, heavy emphasis on may, be replaced yet again in just a few short years.

It would be foolish for Sony to count on stemming piracy for the long term. I imagine that they will succeed in the short term- but at the cost of a broader buyer base and alienating potential buyers seems some pretty weak reasoning. Like Frisky said, I think this is more about pacifying the Dev.'s fears and less about the gaming market.

[quote name='J7.']Sony can't lower the prices of digital games or retailers will give them even more to worry about. The Go is needed to combat piracy and is an answer to DSiWare & Apple's app store games. To just ignore what Apple has been able to do would hurt Sony even more in the long run. Having the onboard 16 gb flash memory is important with their strategy going forward.

Having a PSP2 come out this year would've been a bad choice, especially with the economy and how Sony has been doing with PS3. They should not release a new system and lose money on that when they can utilize the large userbase of the PSP to make some money. Plus if digital downloads don't fly well, it's much better to risk that on the PSP than it would be to risk that right at the the launch of a new console. If they did it could be the death of the console right from the start, whereas here they still have the 3000 model as a safeguard.[/QUOTE]Pretty much.

The situation with game prices is, Sony/SCEA just cannot undercut retailers. For an example, lets take FF Dissidia (lets say its released as download for $30 and UMD for $40 on release). Lets also say a retailer stocks 10 copies of Dissidia. When people can buy Dissidia cheaper elsewhere, its likely the retailer will sell less copies of Dissidia and deal with unsold inventory. In order for them to clear it, they'd have to try to match the PS Store, and maybe take a hit profit wise. Basically, Sony becomes their big competitor like other retailers, yet they are carrying a Sony product that may hurt them a little. When UMD and digital release is the same price, that puts Sony and retailers on the same level as far as price is concerned and people can buy what they prefer. While more might buy retail because they feel they are getting a better deal, it at least keeps the retailer happy they aren't being undercut and they are selling more copies of the game probably. While its definitely cheaper to go digital compared to UMD, the retailer is still part of the problem (retailers are very important to SCEA, and there's no way they want to get in a bad relationship with them). This is why Video Store, XB Originals, Xbox 360 retail games on XBL Marketplace, etc. are the same or sometimes more expensive than retail. With classic games that aren't sold anymore, its a bit easier to price cheap. For some older games which never truly received a universal price drop (like Parappa The Rapper), you will see some retailers sell it for cheap, some will still be $30. And when that happens, Sony's best bet is to price around the middle since pricing too low would probably anger every retailer.

Some say the PSP Go is too expensive and Sony should lower the price. There are three main reasons the PSP Go is price the way it is:
-Sony has to give retailers a larger profit margin compared to normal gaming hardware profit margins (which are very tiny), in order to make the retailer willing to cell it (because retailers make money from game sales, and when they cannot buy games at retailers, there goes a ton of retailer profits).
-There is no way Sony is going to take a hit on two gaming hardware. Sony is already losing money on PS3, and there's no way there are going to lose money on another gaming platform when they have already been losing as a company.
-The PSP Go is kind of a test market too. By having the higher price, if it isn't successful, Sony would take too big of a hit. What Sony is trying to do here is use the PSP Go to determine whether the world is ready for digital distribution fully, like for PS4 and the next PSP. If it isn't so successful, then they are likely to continue using some sort of disc format for another generation.
-Some say Sony should just make PSP Go cheaper and just completely make money off of higher game sales due to more PSP Go's out there. That might work, might now. If people bought a PSP Go and never bought a game (and lets say Sony either breaks even or losing money by the price of the Go), then that basically puts Sony in a pretty big hole, and they don't want to be in that position.

As for as good will UMD program, its really tough to come up with something good because there are some people who are dishonest and will find a way to cheat the system.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']In fairness, I said "later next year" not this year.
Also, at $250 "in this economy" with a "limited" UMD program in the works, it might as well be the PSP2. What is to stop Sony from making PSN games & minis that work on both platforms?

Except it's not any of that- which is worse since it means the same 5 year old graphics capabilities, and even more compromises like no 2nd numb or touch screen. It's all compromise and no sizzle.

It's $49 from the full MSRP of a PS3 slim. A PSP2 with a guaranteed UMD mail in conversion would have been a slam dunk, this is a hard sell.

Why invest $250 in 5 year old technology that does less than it's compatible legacy platform and may, heavy emphasis on may, be replaced yet again in just a few short years.

It would be foolish for Sony to count on stemming piracy for the long term. I imagine that they will succeed in the short term- but at the cost of a broader buyer base and alienating potential buyers seems some pretty weak reasoning. Like Frisky said, I think this is more about pacifying the Dev.'s fears and less about the gaming market.[/QUOTE]
Noted.

Maybe they will make Minis & PSN games work on PSP2 when it releases, but even if they did I still think it's too early for PSP2 & I doubt people would buy PSP2 with Minis/PSP PSN games in mind. People would bitch about why they should buy PSP2 for Minis/PSP PSN games they can play on PSP.

Sure it's going to be 5 years old in half a year, but that is something we will see more and more of, as companies want to lengthen console/handheld cycles more to maximize profitability. They did open up developers to be able to use the full clock speed of the PSP in 2008 so combined with learning the hardware better there is room for PSP games to improve. Do you really want touch screen games on every device? To me that is not a +. There's enough touch screen games on Ipod and DS, I'm glad I don't have them taking up space in place of button control games on PSP.

It is a hard sell, I never said the price was good, it's not. That's why I'll wait for it to drop. This launch price is for those with no patience, those with money, or those who are in love with PSP. Those people will buy it for that price.

If that's the way you feel you shouldn't buy the PSP. Just stick with the one you own, there's nothing wrong with it.

They had to do something about piracy. All the asshole pirates out there have pretty much forced this on them.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
There are three main reasons the PSP Go is price the way it is:
-Sony has to give retailers a larger profit margin compared to normal gaming hardware profit margins (which are very tiny), in order to make the retailer willing to cell it (because retailers make money from game sales, and when they cannot buy games at retailers, there goes a ton of retailer profits).
Very good point.
-The PSP Go is kind of a test market too. By having the higher price, if it isn't successful, Sony would take too big of a hit. What Sony is trying to do here is use the PSP Go to determine whether the world is ready for digital distribution fully, like for PS4 and the next PSP. If it isn't so successful, then they are likely to continue using some sort of disc format for another generation.
This is what I was trying to say, you did a better job of describing it.
-Some say Sony should just make PSP Go cheaper and just completely make money off of higher game sales due to more PSP Go's out there. That might work, might now. If people bought a PSP Go and never bought a game (and lets say Sony either breaks even or losing money by the price of the Go), then that basically puts Sony in a pretty big hole, and they don't want to be in that position.
Another overlooked point.
[/QUOTE]

The way they could do the UMD goodwill program is to essentially cut off an arm to save the rest of the body by instituting a cut-off date for eligible games and allow you to send your games in to get the code(s) for a digital copy. Any game after that date is not eligible and you're stuck with making the choice between digital or UMD for the games that follow. Having a program for sending games in at least limits the amount of free copies they'd have to offer, though it kind of shrinks the amount of UMD's that are out there for those buying the other PSP models.

An alternative could be a more rebate-like system where you'd have to provide a receipt and scan of the boxart and/or UMD so that you could sell it and keep those games in the marketplace, but it would still require a purchase and not allow the potential for GameFly to be used to own every game for free. I don't know how much of a check they could perform to make sure people aren't sending around the same copy of the game and receipt like the Fallout 3 expansion trains that are running on CAG.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The way they could do the UMD goodwill program is to essentially cut off an arm to save the rest of the body by instituting a cut-off date for eligible games and allow you to send your games in to get the code(s) for a digital copy. Any game after that date is not eligible and you're stuck with making the choice between digital or UMD for the games that follow. Having a program for sending games in at least limits the amount of free copies they'd have to offer, though it kind of shrinks the amount of UMD's that are out there for those buying the other PSP models.

An alternative could be a more warranty-like system where you'd have to provide a receipt and scan of the boxart and/or UMD so that you could sell it and keep those games in the marketplace, but it would still require a purchase and not allow the potential for GameFly to be used to own every game for free. I don't know how much of a check they could perform to make sure people aren't sending around the same copy of the game and receipt like the Fallout 3 expansion trains that are running on CAG.[/QUOTE]

I doubt the receipt thing would work too well, personally. Do you really have receipts of every UMD you've purchased? I don't have a single receipt for most of my PS2 games, personally. I do have some from PS3 games, but that's just because I'm post-college and getting a full-time job it's a good idea to track these things. (It's always a good idea, I just didn't take it seriously before)

Still, scanning the box art means nothing--one person could buy a game, not even take it out of the plastic, and return it later. That gets by the receipt thing too if you scan... Still I just don't see it working that way. I imagine they'd force trading the UMD in completely (or charging a premium if you don't)

I always assumed a good-will UMD program would involve mailing in the actual media. I am dismayed that we haven't heard anything about the plan since June.
I also find it really strange that games like Resistance: Retribution aren't available on PSN.

[quote name='chakan']I always assumed a good-will UMD program would involve mailing in the actual media. I am dismayed that we haven't heard anything about the plan since June.
I also find it really strange that games like Resistance: Retribution aren't available on PSN.[/QUOTE]

That's what I had assumed. I even expected them to require a single preregistered PSN account, locking the "good will" titles to that single account. Thereby limiting exploitation to at most account sharing and preventing code resales.

[quote name='chakan']I always assumed a good-will UMD program would involve mailing in the actual media. I am dismayed that we haven't heard anything about the plan since June.
I also find it really strange that games like Resistance: Retribution aren't available on PSN.[/QUOTE]

And apparently nothing about it at Sony's TGS keynote, either. What the hell, Sony, what the hell...

bread's done
Back